Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Mihir Tanna  |801 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 14, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
He regularly represents clients before the income tax authorities including the commissioner of income tax (appeal).... more
Yam Question by Yam on Apr 14, 2023Hindi

Dear Mihir Sir, I am a salaried person and file ITR every year. There was property in the name of my wife purchased in March 2018 and sold in August 2022 (FY 2022-23). The purchased value was Rs. 19,50,000 and the sale price being Rs. 32,50,000. Since she is a housewife and does not file any ITR. Sir I am to know that is she liable to pay any LTCG by filing an ITR this Assessment Year 2023-24 or any other way to show this income? Further, the gain on sale of this property has been totally used for my present house property (House- repair and renovation). Please guide me accordingly.

Ans: As per income tax provisions, any income arising from asset transferred to wife without consideration will be clubbed in the hands of husband.

Accordingly, if property is purchased in the name of wife and wife has not contributed anything from own source at the time of acquisition then clubbing provisions is likely to applicable at the time of transfer of such property. Capital gain will be taxable in the hands of husband.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Mihir Tanna  |801 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Nov 07, 2022

Good Morning. I am a fan of yours and read you severally on Rediff replying queries of various Tax Problems. Sir, now I have a tax query and earnestly request you to resolve that which is as follows: My query is: I booked an under construction flat worth Rs.45.00 lacs which is scheduled to be ready for procession in year F.Y.2025-26. Now I sold shares worth Rs. 10,00,000/- and total amount paid to builder in F.Y.2022-23. Out of shares sold my LTCG IS Rs.700,000/-. Can I claim exemption for LTCG to that amount only which is given as advance in corresponding year? Again in F.Y. 2023-24 I will pay Rs.20,00,000/- by selling shares and LTCG of Rs.10,00,000/-. Can I claim Exemption for LTCG? Same process will happen in next 2 F.Ys. till procession of my new Flat. Can I claim exemption on LTCG on sale of shares in each financial year? Please also guide to fill ITR also for claiming above exemption in parts.
Ans: In respect of capital gains you can claim exemption from long term capital gains if the net sale consideration is invested in booking an under construction house. You get an extended period of three years to get possession in case it is booked with a developer.

In case the sale consideration is not fully invested in the residential house before filing of the Income Tax Return, the unutilised money has to be deposited with a bank under Capital Gains Account Scheme. The money deposited can be utilised within the prescribed period for payment of house.

You have to keep in mind that to claim this exemption, you should not own more than one residential house property on the date of sale of the shares except the one in respect of which you are claiming the exemption.

So once you claim exemption in FY 22 23, it is not advisable to claim exemption against gain earned in subsequent years.

In Income Tax Return, you can show the amount invested in property as exemption u/s 54F and if the entire 10 lakh consideration can not be invested in property then open CG account and show amount in ITR accordingly.


Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Jul 18, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 10, 2023Hindi
Dear Hardik ji, My mother sold her old house and against it purchased two plots wherein she added me as joint owner (all transactions are from her saving account). Now i have following two questions: 1. Under which ITR form and which head in ITR she has to declare /report following 4 things: sales proceeds, long term capital gain, capital gain tax paid and declare purchase value of plots.( So far, I file her ITR on her behalf every year under Form1 -Sahaj). 2. Do i need to also declare /report purchase of plots while filing my ITR ,since she made me co-owner and under what head (So far I file under form2 as have share investements). Kindly guide ?
Ans: Namaste,

I understand your situation and I'll try to provide a simple explanation.

For your mother's case, since she has sold a property and made a long-term capital gain, she will need to file her Income Tax Return (ITR) using Form 2 instead of Sahaj (Form 1). The reason being, Form 1 is for individuals having income from salaries, one house property, other sources (interest etc.) and having total income up to Rs 50 lakh. However, in your mother's case, there is a capital gain involved, so Form 2 is more appropriate.
The sale proceeds of the house will be reported under the head 'Capital Gains'. The purchase value of the plots will be reported as the 'Cost of Acquisition' under the same head. The capital gain tax paid will be reported in the 'Taxes Paid and Verification' section.
As for your case, since you have been made a co-owner of the plots, you should also declare this in your ITR. However, as you have not contributed to the purchase, it will not have any tax implications for you. You can mention it under the 'Asset and Liability' section if your taxable income exceeds Rs 50 lakh.
Please note that this is general advice and the exact details may vary based on the specifics of the transactions. It's always a good idea to consult with a tax advisor or chartered accountant to ensure all details are accurately reported.
Latest Questions

Ramalingam Kalirajan  |637 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds, Financial Planning Expert - Answered on Apr 20, 2024

hi sir : my son doing job since two year monthly earning is 60 K. but his saving is nil. pl. advice where to invest
Ans: It's great that your son has started earning, and it's essential to guide him on saving and investing for the future. Here's a step-by-step investment plan tailored for him:

Emergency Fund: Start by building an emergency fund equivalent to 3-6 months of expenses. This fund should be easily accessible, like a savings account or a liquid fund.
Debt Repayment: If he has any high-interest debts like credit card bills or personal loans, it's wise to clear those first to avoid paying hefty interest.
Investment Options:
Equity Mutual Funds: For long-term wealth creation, he can start SIPs in diversified equity funds. A mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds can provide growth.
PPF (Public Provident Fund): A tax-efficient and safe option for long-term savings with a lock-in period of 15 years.
NPS (National Pension System): A retirement-focused investment with tax benefits, offering a mix of equity, corporate bonds, and government securities.
Term Insurance: Since he's working, consider getting a term insurance plan to ensure financial security for his dependents.
Health Insurance: A comprehensive health insurance plan to cover medical emergencies can provide financial security and tax benefits.
Budgeting and Savings: Encourage him to create a monthly budget to track expenses and identify areas to save. Automating investments through SIPs can also help in disciplined saving.
Financial Education: Educate him about the importance of financial planning, saving, and investing. Encourage him to read books or attend workshops on personal finance.
Starting early with disciplined saving and investing can help him build a substantial corpus over time. Encourage him to consult a financial advisor for personalized guidance tailored to his financial goals and risk tolerance.

Ramalingam Kalirajan  |637 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds, Financial Planning Expert - Answered on Apr 20, 2024

Hi Anil, I am 43 years old. I have a monthly sip of 35k going on. I have started investing in mutual fund and sip from year 2013. Total mutual fund plus sip current market value is 1 core 9 lakhs . I plan to invest 35 k per month more for 7 to 8 years , when i want to leave job and do something else. Can you tell me what will be my corpus in 7 to 8 years down the line taking both current valution plus what i am going to continue investing?Also, i have another 1 corore total in other investment like Voluntary provident fund, Epf, ppf and esops from my company and pension fund . Here i do a monthly investment of around 80 k via mostly through company for tax savings. So what will be my total corpus after 7 to 8 yrs. Also, is it good for retirement considering my current monthly expense us 1 lakh.
Ans: To estimate your corpus after 7 to 8 years, let's assume an average annual return on your mutual fund SIPs at 10-12% and a similar return on your other investments.

For Mutual Funds:

Future Value of Current Investments: Using the future value formula, considering an average return of 10-12%, your current 1.09 crore can grow to approximately 2.2 - 2.5 crores in 7-8 years.
Future Value of Additional SIPs: Investing 35k per month for 7-8 years, at an average return of 10-12%, you could accumulate around 50 - 60 lakhs from SIPs alone.
For Other Investments:

Future Value of Current Investments: Assuming an average annual return of 10-12%, your current 1 crore can grow to approximately 2 - 2.4 crores.
Future Value of Additional Investments: With 80k monthly investments for 7-8 years, at an average return of 10-12%, you could accumulate around 1.5 - 1.8 crores.
Total Corpus After 7-8 Years: Combining both, your total corpus could range from 5.2 - 6.2 crores.

Retirement Planning:
Considering your monthly expense is 1 lakh, with a corpus of 5.2 - 6.2 crores, you can generate approximately 40-50k per month (assuming a 7-8% withdrawal rate) post-retirement. This should be sufficient considering your current expenses, but inflation and unforeseen expenses should also be considered.

It's advisable to consult a financial advisor for a detailed plan tailored to your needs, considering inflation, tax implications, and other factors.

Ramalingam Kalirajan  |637 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds, Financial Planning Expert - Answered on Apr 20, 2024

Hello, I want to invest 10 lac INR for a long term investment. I need suggestion on the following, i understand to invest in the form of SIP. But want to get a suggestion on where should I invest this 10-20 lac first and then invest as an SIP over 1-2 years or even 3 years as per your suggestion. As currently lying in Savings account which doesnt yield more. Secondly I would need a help on good portfolio of funds for long term (10 years or above) for my retirement/younger child's education.
Ans: For long-term investments of 10-20 lakhs, you can consider the following approach:

Initial Lump Sum Investment:

Liquid Funds: Park a portion in liquid funds to earn better returns than a savings account while maintaining liquidity.
Short-term Debt Funds: Allocate to short-term debt funds for stability and moderate returns.
Long-Term SIP Portfolio:

Diversified Equity Funds: Invest in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap equity funds through SIPs for growth potential.
Balanced Funds: Opt for balanced funds or aggressive hybrid funds for a blend of equity and debt, suitable for long-term wealth creation.
Child Education: Start a separate SIP in a child education-focused fund to ensure funds are available when needed.
Sample Portfolio for Long Term:

Large Cap Equity Fund: 30%
Mid Cap Equity Fund: 20%
Multi Cap Equity Fund: 25%
Balanced/Aggressive Hybrid Fund: 15%
Child Education Fund: 10%
Adjust the allocation based on your risk tolerance and financial goals. Regularly review and rebalance the portfolio to maintain desired asset allocation. Consulting a financial advisor can help create a personalized investment plan tailored to your needs and goals.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds