Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Sanjeev Govila  |442 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Dec 06, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to armed forces officers and their families.
He has over 12 years of experience in financial planning and is a SEBI certified registered investment advisor; he is also accredited with AMFI and IRDA.... more
Asked by Anonymous - Nov 26, 2023Translate

Sir, I recently joined a new company and submitted claim to EPFO. However, EPFO has rejected my claim submission for this reason "member with date of joining in EPF as 15.7.2003 and date of exit as 17.5.2005 whereas date of joining in EPS is given as 1.7.2007 and date of exit under EPS is updated as NIL." How can I get this corrected? Please advise.

Ans: To rectify the discrepancy in your EPFO and EPS records, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Gather Documents: Collect supporting documents that verify your employment details, including:
o Appointment letter or joining letter
o Salary slips for the relevant period
o PF contribution statements
o Any other relevant documents that verify your employment tenure

2. Submit Correction Request: Visit the EPFO regional office where your Universal Account Number (UAN) is registered. Carry the supporting documents and submit a correction request form, clearly stating the discrepancy and providing the correct dates of joining and exit.

3. Attach Documents: Attach self-attested copies of all supporting documents to the correction request form. Ensure the copies are clear and legible.

4. Submit Form and Documents: Submit the completed correction request form along with the attached documents to the EPFO officials. They will review the request and supporting documents.

5. Verify Correction: After processing your request, EPFO will update your records accordingly. You can check the status of your correction request online through the EPFO Member Portal.

6. Seek Clarifications: If you face any difficulties or delays in the correction process, contact the EPFO grievance redressal mechanism for assistance.

Please remember to provide accurate and verifiable information to expedite the correction process.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Sanjeev Govila  |442 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 23, 2023

Hi Sir, I worked a small level company between 01.02.2018 to 30.04.2021. They paid standard EPF contribution of Rs. 1800/- from my side they deducting the same of Rs. 1800/-. After I exit the company I applied the EPF Withdrawl (both contribution) on 06.05.2023 and it was rejected by the officer and the reason was mentioned "Claim Rejeced EQUAL SHARE 07/18". The Employer deposit the July 2018 share in wrongly i.e. The deposited Rs. 1800/- in Employee Share and Rs. 1800/- employer Share and Pension is " 0 ". instead of Rs.1800/- as employee, Rs. 550/- as Employer and Rs.1250/- as pension contribution. When I sent a 2 continues mail to EPF they taking my query as a grivience and sent a query to the employer. But Still they not close the issue. How to I approch them to clear my claim. Because there is no mistake from my side. Thanks in Advance. Narayanan
Ans: I understand that your EPF withdrawal claim has been rejected due to an error in your employer's contribution. This is frustrating, but it is important to remember that you are not alone. Many people experience problems with their EPF claims, especially when their employers make mistakes.

When filing a grievance, be sure to provide clear and concise information about the issue. You should also include any relevant documentation, such as your EPF statement and the revised Form 11 from your employer (if you have one).

Once you have filed a grievance, the EPFO will investigate the matter and try to resolve it. This process can take some time, but it is important to be patient.

Here are some additional tips:

• Keep track of all your communication with the EPFO. This includes emails, phone calls, and visits to the office.
• If you are not satisfied with the EPFO's response, you can escalate the issue to the regional or national level. You can also mail on employeefeedback @ epfindia.gov.in for the redressal of your grievance.

Sanjeev Govila  |442 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Nov 15, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Nov 12, 2023Translate
Sir I am 59 years old and I have worked in 2 companies for 12 years in previous company and 9 years 8 month in recent company total service (21 years and 8 months) and resigned I have submitted annexure k from my prior company to recent company with other document for pension to submit in EPFO but EPFO has not updated my past company service history that why i am not eligible for pension please suggest me what should i do so that EPFO updat my prior company service history
Ans: In response to your query, here's what you can do to resolve this issue:

Contact your previous employer: Reach out to your previous company's HR department and inform them about the missing service history in your EPFO account. Request them to verify your employment details and submit the necessary documents to EPFO for updating your service history.

File a grievance with EPFO: If your previous employer is not responding or cooperating, you can file a grievance with EPFO. You can do this online through the EPFO Grievance Portal or by visiting the nearest EPFO regional office.

Approach the Provident Fund Commissioner: If the grievance process doesn't resolve the issue, you can escalate the matter to the Provident Fund Commissioner (PFC). The PFC is the highest authority for resolving EPFO-related issues.

Submit documentary evidence: When filing a grievance or approaching the PFC, gather and submit any documentary evidence that supports your employment with your previous company. This could include salary slips, appointment letters, or any other relevant documents.

You can check the status of your grievance online or by contacting the EPFO regional office. Remember to keep copies of all communication and documents for your records, and persist in following up until the issue is resolved.

It may take some time, but with proper documentation and following the correct procedure, you should be able to resolve this issue and become eligible for pension benefits.
Latest Questions
Dr Karthiyayini

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan  |599 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Mar 03, 2024


Moneywize   |65 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Mar 02, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Mar 02, 2024Translate
As part of a couple in our early 30s, along with our elderly parents, we have a combined annual income of Rs 1.08 crores. How can we collectively plan for both our retirement and the financial well-being of our parents in the long run?
Ans: Balancing your financial needs and that of your parents, while planning for retirement, requires a comprehensive strategy. Here's a roadmap to get you started:

1. Understand your financial situation:

Gather information about:

• Income: List down your combined annual income (Rs 1.08 crore) and any other sources of income like rental income or investments.
• Expenses: Track your monthly expenses for a few months to understand your spending habits.
• Debts: List down any outstanding debts like mortgages, car loans, etc., including your parents' debts if applicable.
• Retirement benefits: Check your eligibility and potential benefits from social security or employer-sponsored retirement plans.
• Parents' needs: Estimate your parents' current and future financial needs, including healthcare costs.

2. Set retirement goals:

• Desired retirement age: Decide when you and your partner wish to retire.
• Desired lifestyle: Determine the lifestyle you envision in retirement, considering travel, hobbies, and potential healthcare needs.
• Financial goals: Based on your desired lifestyle and life expectancy, calculate the estimated corpus (total sum) required for your retirement. Consider inflation while making these calculations.

3. Create a financial plan:

• Debt management: Prioritise paying off high-interest debts to free up future income for savings and investments.
• Budgeting: Create a budget that allocates funds for essential expenses, savings, and debt repayments. You can involve your parents in creating a budget for their expenses as well.
• Savings and investments: Explore various investment options like mutual funds, PPF (Public Provident Fund), or NPS (National Pension Scheme) based on your risk tolerance and investment horizon. Utilize tax-advantaged retirement accounts like 401(k)s or IRAs if available to you.
• Healthcare planning: Consider health insurance plans for yourselves and your parents to manage potential medical costs in the future.

4. Open communication and support:

• Discuss openly: Have open and honest conversations with your partner and parents about your financial situation, goals, and expectations. This fosters transparency and builds trust within the family.
• Seek professional guidance: Consulting a financial advisor can help you create a personalized plan considering your specific financial situation and retirement goals. They can also guide you on investment strategies and risk management.

Additional considerations:

• Government schemes: Explore government schemes for senior citizens like the Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS) or the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) that may benefit your parents.
• Downsizing: Consider downsizing your living situation or exploring alternative housing options in retirement to potentially reduce living expenses.
• Part-time work: If feasible, consider continuing part-time work in retirement to supplement your income and maintain an active lifestyle.

Remember, this is a general framework, and it's crucial to tailor it to your specific circumstances. Consulting a financial advisor can provide personalised guidance and ensure your financial plan considers all the complexities involved.

Patrick Dsouza  |62 Answers  |Ask -

CAT, XAT, CMAT, CET Expert - Answered on Mar 02, 2024

DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds