Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 26, 2024

Mihir Ashok Tanna, who works with a well-known chartered accountancy firm in Mumbai, has more than 15 years of experience in direct taxation.
He handles various kinds of matters related to direct tax such as PAN/ TAN application; compliance including ITR, TDS return filing; issuance/ filing of statutory forms like Form 15CB, Form 61A, etc; application u/s 10(46); application for condonation of delay; application for lower/ nil TDS certificate; transfer pricing and study report; advisory/ opinion on direct tax matters; handling various income-tax notices; compounding application on show cause for TDS default; verification of books for TDS/ TCS/ equalisation levy compliance; application for pending income-tax demand and refund; charitable trust taxation and compliance; income-tax scrutiny and CIT(A) for all types of taxpayers including individuals, firms, LLPs, corporates, trusts, non-resident individuals and companies.
VA Question by VA on Mar 20, 2024Hindi

I have only income from interest from saving bank a/c and from LTCG by selling of equity mutual funds, as a housewife. Can I get the zero tax advantage by totaling the above 2 sources amounting upto Rs 7 lacs pa under new Tax regime or Rs 5 Lacs pa in FY 2023-24 . Need your clarification urgently. If possible kindly explain with example.....Thanks

Ans: If an resident individual's total taxable income is up to Rs.7 lakh and chooses the new tax regime, he will be eligible for rebate of lower of the following:

an amount of income tax payable on his total income or
an amount up to Rs 25,000

E.g. if you have earned STCG from MF taxable @15% and tax on same is say Rs.15000. If you have taxable bank interest (after 80TTA deduction) and tax on same is 10000. Total tax will be Rs.25000 and rebate of 25000 is available, accordingly, net tax payable will be NIL

Tax Expert - Answered on Nov 07, 2022

Good Morning. I am a fan of yours and read you severally on Rediff replying queries of various Tax Problems. Sir, now I have a tax query and earnestly request you to resolve that which is as follows: My query is: I booked an under construction flat worth Rs.45.00 lacs which is scheduled to be ready for procession in year F.Y.2025-26. Now I sold shares worth Rs. 10,00,000/- and total amount paid to builder in F.Y.2022-23. Out of shares sold my LTCG IS Rs.700,000/-. Can I claim exemption for LTCG to that amount only which is given as advance in corresponding year? Again in F.Y. 2023-24 I will pay Rs.20,00,000/- by selling shares and LTCG of Rs.10,00,000/-. Can I claim Exemption for LTCG? Same process will happen in next 2 F.Ys. till procession of my new Flat. Can I claim exemption on LTCG on sale of shares in each financial year? Please also guide to fill ITR also for claiming above exemption in parts.
Ans: In respect of capital gains you can claim exemption from long term capital gains if the net sale consideration is invested in booking an under construction house. You get an extended period of three years to get possession in case it is booked with a developer.

In case the sale consideration is not fully invested in the residential house before filing of the Income Tax Return, the unutilised money has to be deposited with a bank under Capital Gains Account Scheme. The money deposited can be utilised within the prescribed period for payment of house.

You have to keep in mind that to claim this exemption, you should not own more than one residential house property on the date of sale of the shares except the one in respect of which you are claiming the exemption.

So once you claim exemption in FY 22 23, it is not advisable to claim exemption against gain earned in subsequent years.

In Income Tax Return, you can show the amount invested in property as exemption u/s 54F and if the entire 10 lakh consideration can not be invested in property then open CG account and show amount in ITR accordingly.

Hi, my package is around12lpa. I hv invested in PPF for 3k SIP and 5k SIP in mutual funds, HRA with 20k monthly rent. Still I hv my tax deducted monthly around 5-8k. Can u help me in wat ways can I invest and wer do I need to invest that would help me in zero tax cut
Ans: Understanding Your Financial Situation
Income and Tax Structure
Your annual package is Rs 12 lakh, translating to Rs 1 lakh per month. You currently invest Rs 3,000 in PPF and Rs 5,000 in mutual funds via SIPs. You also pay Rs 20,000 per month as rent. Despite these investments and deductions, your monthly tax deduction ranges from Rs 5,000 to Rs 8,000. Let's delve deeper into optimizing your investments and tax planning.

Monthly Breakdown
Monthly Income: Rs 1,00,000
Rent: Rs 20,000
PPF SIP: Rs 3,000
Mutual Fund SIP: Rs 5,000
Tax Deduction: Rs 5,000 to Rs 8,000
Maximizing Tax Savings
Section 80C Investments
You can claim deductions up to Rs 1.5 lakh under Section 80C. Currently, you are investing Rs 3,000 per month in PPF, totaling Rs 36,000 annually. You can optimize this section further.

PPF offers a safe investment with attractive interest rates and tax benefits. Continue with your current PPF SIP and consider increasing it if possible.

Current Annual Investment: Rs 3,000 * 12 = Rs 36,000
Potential Increase: Aim for Rs 1.5 lakh annually to maximize the Section 80C limit.
Equity-Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS)
ELSS mutual funds are tax-saving instruments with a lock-in period of three years. They offer the dual benefit of tax savings and potential market-linked returns.

Annual Investment: Consider allocating a portion of your Rs 5,000 SIP towards ELSS funds.
Lock-in Period: 3 years
Potential Returns: Higher than traditional instruments but with market risk.
Section 80D: Health Insurance
Premiums paid for health insurance policies qualify for tax deductions under Section 80D. This can include policies for yourself, your spouse, children, and dependent parents.

Health Insurance Premiums
Self, Spouse, and Children: Deduction up to Rs 25,000.
Parents (Below 60): Additional deduction up to Rs 25,000.
Parents (Above 60): Additional deduction up to Rs 50,000.
Benefits
Tax Savings: Up to Rs 75,000 if parents are senior citizens.
Health Coverage: Ensures financial support during medical emergencies.
Section 80E: Education Loan Interest
Interest paid on education loans for higher studies can be claimed as a deduction under Section 80E. This deduction is available for a maximum of 8 years or until the interest is fully repaid, whichever is earlier.

Education Loan Interest
Eligibility: Loans taken for higher education of self, spouse, or children.
No Upper Limit: The entire interest amount is deductible.
Section 80G: Donations
Donations made to specified charitable institutions and relief funds are eligible for deductions under Section 80G. The deduction can be either 50% or 100% of the donation amount, depending on the type of institution.

Charitable Donations
Eligible Donations: Donations to specified funds, NGOs, and charitable institutions.
Deduction: 50% or 100% of the donation amount.
Documentation: Ensure proper receipts and documentation for claiming the deduction.
Section 24(b): Home Loan Interest
Interest paid on a home loan for a self-occupied property is deductible up to Rs 2 lakh under Section 24(b). This deduction is over and above the Section 80C limit.

Home Loan Interest
Self-Occupied Property: Deduction up to Rs 2 lakh.
Rented Property: Entire interest amount deductible without any upper limit.
Principal Repayment: Eligible under Section 80C within the Rs 1.5 lakh limit.
Investment Planning
Diversifying Investments
Diversification helps in spreading risk and optimizing returns. Your current investments are a good start, but further diversification can enhance your portfolio.

Mutual funds offer a range of investment options across different asset classes. Diversify your mutual fund investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds.

Equity Funds: For long-term growth and higher returns.
Debt Funds: For stability and regular income.
Hybrid Funds: For a balanced approach combining equity and debt.
Employee Provident Fund (EPF)
EPF is a retirement benefits scheme available to salaried employees. Contributions to EPF qualify for tax deductions under Section 80C.

Employee Contribution: 12% of basic salary.
Employer Contribution: 12% of basic salary.
Tax Benefits: Employee's contribution qualifies under Section 80C.
NPS is a government-backed pension scheme offering tax benefits under Section 80C and an additional Rs 50,000 under Section 80CCD(1B).

Section 80C: Contribution up to Rs 1.5 lakh.
Section 80CCD(1B): Additional Rs 50,000.
Tax Savings: Up to Rs 2 lakh in total.
Additional Tax Saving Strategies
House Rent Allowance (HRA)
HRA can be claimed if you live in rented accommodation. The deduction is the least of the following:

Actual HRA received: Rs 20,000 per month.
50% of Salary (Metro): 50% of Rs 1,00,000 = Rs 50,000 per month.
Rent Paid – 10% of Salary: Rs 20,000 - Rs 10,000 = Rs 10,000 per month.
Optimizing HRA Claim
Ensure you have rent receipts and rental agreement documentation. Claim the maximum allowable deduction based on actual rent paid.

Leave Travel Allowance (LTA)
LTA can be claimed for travel expenses incurred for trips within India. It can be claimed twice in a block of four years.

LTA Claim
Eligibility: Travel expenses for self, spouse, children, and dependent parents.
Exemptions: Actual travel expenses (travel fare only, not food or accommodation).
Documentation: Maintain proper travel tickets and receipts.
Tax-Free Allowances and Perquisites
Certain allowances and perquisites provided by employers are tax-free. These can include meal coupons, telephone reimbursements, and conveyance allowances.

Utilizing Tax-Free Allowances
Meal Coupons: Up to Rs 50 per meal is tax-free.
Telephone Reimbursements: Actual expenses incurred for official purposes.
Conveyance Allowance: Up to Rs 1,600 per month is tax-free.
Importance of Portfolio Review
Regularly reviewing your portfolio ensures it remains aligned with your goals and market conditions. Rebalancing helps maintain the desired asset allocation.

Quarterly Review: Assess the performance and make necessary adjustments.
Annual Review: Reevaluate your financial plan based on changes in income, expenses, or goals.
Benefits of Consulting a Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
A CFP provides personalized advice, helping you achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Tailored Strategies: CFPs design investment strategies based on your specific needs and risk tolerance.
Regular Monitoring: They monitor your portfolio and suggest timely adjustments to optimize returns.
Comprehensive Planning: CFPs assist in tax planning, retirement planning, and estate planning, ensuring holistic financial health.
Actively Managed Funds vs Direct Funds
While index funds offer low costs, they may not provide the best returns. Actively managed funds, despite higher fees, aim to outperform the market.

Expert Management: Fund managers actively select stocks to generate higher returns.
Flexibility: Actively managed funds can adapt to market changes, potentially reducing losses.
Direct mutual funds require investor expertise and regular monitoring. Without professional guidance, there’s a risk of poor investment decisions.

Complexity: Direct funds demand more time and knowledge to manage effectively.
Risk of Underperformance: Investors may not achieve optimal returns without proper guidance.
By optimizing your tax-saving investments and making strategic contributions, you can significantly reduce your taxable income. Utilize Section 80C, 80D, 80E, and other sections effectively. Diversify your investments across different asset classes and seek professional guidance for personalized advice. Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio to stay aligned with your financial goals.

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Jul 12, 2024

Hello sir my name is Santu Chakraborty.I am 34 year old now unmarried. My qualification is Bsc botany honours with 2nd class +diploma in mechanical engineering with distinction +btech in mechanical engineering from government engineering college west Bengal with 7.5 dgpa.I have 6 years of teaching experience in private diploma engineering college and now I working as a vocational teacher in automobile engineering department in gov high school.In my early phase of life I am going through lots of Misguide,seveare Anxiety issue. Nobody can help me on that phase.I recover mostly by my own after various dillema.I want to work in mechanical r and d company, Mechanical design basis company and also upgrade my teaching carrier. How can I start my journey at this age ?what is the risk factor also? Please tell me. I am very enthusiastic dedicated person. I have no guide in my home. My father is vegetable seller.
Ans: Hi Santu Chakraborty,

This is a really exhaustive query.

The journey thru' your acquisition of qualifications has been vast!

In the course of your life you are now suffering from SNIOP (SUSCEPTIBLE NEGATIVE INFLUENCE OTHER PEOPLE) this happens when you let others control your life.

I have this poem.. Especially for one's like you!

The Guy in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.
You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

Dale Wimbrow (c) 1934

Get the enthusiasm going, don't get embroiled in what life has been before!

Take a stranglehold of your life and make it BIG!

The opportunities are.. Miracles waiting to happen, what are you waiting for.. You are the catalyst!?
Maxim Emmanuel.

Pick up yourself don't be a victim of self pity.

If you do need further professional advice happy to assist
https://m.me/maxim.emmanuel.2024