Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1852 Answers  |Ask -

Stock Market Expert - Answered on Jun 08, 2023

Samraat Jadhav is the founder of Prosperity Wealth Adviser.
He is a SEBI-registered investment and research analyst and has over 18 years of experience in managing high-end portfolios.
Aliakbar Question by Aliakbar on Jun 06, 2023Hindi

I have 1300 Ashima synthetic @12 sell or hold?

Ans: Poor cash generated from core business - Declining Cash Flow from Operations for last 2 years
Degrowth in Revenue and Profit
Decline in Net Profit with falling Profit Margin (QoQ)
Decline in Quarterly Net Profit with falling Profit Margin (YoY)
Declining profits every quarter for the past 4 quarters

BAD Data - SELL

Disclaimer: Investments in securities are subject to market RISKS. Read all the related documents carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Registration granted by SEBI, membership of BASL and certification from NISM in no way guarantee performance of the intermediary or provide any assurance of returns to investors.

Hi i am 30 years old and earning 1 lacs per month,....i have two kids ..i started SIP of 30K per month from last one year.....Large cap fund then Middle cap and around 20 % in small cap.....i dont have that much knowledge of MF so i selected SIp....Please suggest how much further i invest to retire around 50
Ans: It’s great that you’re thinking ahead and investing for your future. I understand that you might not have much knowledge about mutual funds, but you've already taken a positive step by starting a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP). Let's dive into how you can enhance your investment strategy to retire comfortably around the age of 50.

Understanding Your Current Situation
You're 30 years old and earning Rs 1 lakh per month. With two kids, you have important financial responsibilities. You’ve been investing Rs 30,000 per month through SIPs for the past year. You’ve diversified your investments across large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. That’s a great start!

The Power of SIPs
SIPs are a disciplined way to invest. They help you avoid market timing and average out the purchase cost of mutual fund units. This is beneficial, especially in volatile markets.

Evaluating Your Current Investments
Your current allocation is into large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. Here’s a brief look at each:

Large-Cap Funds: These funds invest in companies with a large market capitalization. They are generally considered safer than mid-cap and small-cap funds. They offer stable returns over the long term.

Mid-Cap Funds: These funds invest in mid-sized companies. They have the potential for higher returns but come with higher risk compared to large-cap funds.

Small-Cap Funds: These funds invest in smaller companies. They can provide very high returns but also come with significant risk.

Your current strategy is well-rounded, balancing growth potential and risk.

Active vs. Index Funds
While index funds follow a benchmark and provide average market returns, actively managed funds aim to outperform the market. Certified Financial Planners often recommend actively managed funds for their potential to deliver superior returns due to professional management.

Regular vs. Direct Funds
Direct funds have lower expense ratios because they don’t include commission fees. However, regular funds, managed by a Certified Financial Planner, offer professional advice and support. This guidance can help you make informed investment decisions, especially when market conditions change.

Increasing Your Investments
To retire by 50, you need to ensure your investments grow sufficiently. Here are some steps you can take:

Increase SIP Contributions: As your income grows, try to increase your SIP contributions. An annual increment in your SIP amount can significantly boost your corpus over time.

Diversify Further: While you have a good mix, consider adding other types of mutual funds like balanced funds or sectoral funds. They can provide additional growth opportunities and further spread your risk.

Emergency Fund: Ensure you have an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of your monthly expenses. This will protect your investments in case of unforeseen events.

Insurance Coverage: Adequate life and health insurance are crucial. They protect your family and your investments in case of any unfortunate event.

Setting Up A Financial Plan
Creating a comprehensive financial plan with a Certified Financial Planner can provide a clear path to your retirement goals. Here are some key steps:

Define Your Goals: Clearly outline your retirement goals. How much do you need per month post-retirement? What are your children’s educational needs?

Assess Your Risk Appetite: Understand your risk tolerance. This will help in choosing the right mix of funds.

Review and Rebalance: Regularly review your portfolio. Rebalance it as per changing market conditions and your life stages.

Calculating the Required Corpus
While avoiding specific calculations, here’s a broad approach to estimate your retirement corpus:

Estimate Monthly Expenses: Calculate your current monthly expenses. Project these into the future, considering inflation.

Future Value Calculation: Determine the future value of these expenses at your retirement age. This gives an idea of your required corpus.

Investment Returns: Assume an average annual return from your investments. Factor in the power of compounding.

Enhancing Returns
To maximize returns:

Long-Term Perspective: Keep a long-term investment horizon. It allows your investments to grow and compound.

Consistent Investing: Continue investing through all market conditions. Consistency is key to wealth creation.

Professional Management: Consider the expertise of actively managed funds. They aim to outperform the market through informed investment decisions.

Preparing for Life Changes
Life is unpredictable. Preparing for major life events can safeguard your financial goals:

Children’s Education: Set aside funds for your children’s education. Education costs are rising, and early planning can ease this burden.

Medical Emergencies: Ensure you have sufficient health insurance. Medical emergencies can drain your savings if not adequately covered.

Major Purchases: Plan for major purchases like a house or car. This planning will help you avoid dipping into your retirement savings.

Tax Efficiency
Utilize tax-efficient investment options to maximize your returns:

ELSS Funds: Equity-Linked Savings Schemes provide tax benefits under Section 80C and potential for higher returns.

PPF and NPS: Public Provident Fund and National Pension System are excellent long-term investment options with tax benefits.

Investing for retirement requires careful planning and disciplined execution. You’re off to a great start with your SIPs and diversified investments. Increasing your contributions, diversifying further, and regularly reviewing your portfolio will set you on the right path.

Remember, the guidance of a Certified Financial Planner can be invaluable. They can help you navigate market complexities, rebalance your portfolio, and ensure you stay on track to meet your retirement goals.

Your proactive approach and commitment to investing are commendable. Keep up the good work, and you’ll achieve your financial goals.

Greetings I am retiring in April 2027. I may get a retirement corpus of around 2Cr. I have FDs of around 60 L Mutual Funds 40L. I have two flats and the home loan of one flat will be repaid before my retirement. For the other flat there is no loan. Myself and my wife have ancestors property (land)valued at around 6 Cr. I may need a monthly income of 75 K.Kindly suggest investment options for me
Ans: First, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. You've done a great job building a solid financial foundation. You have a diverse portfolio with fixed deposits, mutual funds, real estate, and ancestral property. This diversification provides stability and potential growth.

Your expected retirement corpus of Rs. 2 crore is substantial. With this, along with your current assets and minimal loan commitments, you are well-positioned for a comfortable retirement. Let's evaluate your options to generate a monthly income of Rs. 75,000 while ensuring your capital grows and remains secure.

Creating a Retirement Income Plan
Fixed Deposits (FDs)
You have Rs. 60 lakhs in fixed deposits. FDs offer security and guaranteed returns. However, their interest rates may not keep pace with inflation. It's wise to keep a portion of your retirement corpus in FDs for liquidity and safety. Allocate around 20-25% of your corpus here.

You already have Rs. 40 lakhs in mutual funds. Mutual funds are excellent for growth and can be tailored to match your risk tolerance. Consider the following types of funds:

Balanced Funds

Balanced funds provide a mix of equity and debt. They offer growth potential while minimizing risk. Given your age and risk tolerance, a balanced fund can help maintain stability.

Equity Funds

Equity funds are suitable for long-term growth. They can be volatile, but with a horizon of 10-15 years, they can significantly enhance your returns. Diversify across large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds to spread risk.

Debt Funds

Debt funds are less risky and provide regular income. They are good for short-term needs. Invest in high-quality debt funds to ensure safety and reasonable returns.

Use an SWP from your mutual fund investments to generate a regular income. It allows you to withdraw a fixed amount monthly, providing you with Rs. 75,000. This method ensures that your capital continues to grow while providing you with the needed income.

Additional Investment Options
Senior Citizens' Saving Scheme (SCSS)
SCSS is a government-backed scheme offering attractive interest rates and regular income. It's safe and suitable for retirees. You can invest up to Rs. 15 lakhs individually or Rs. 30 lakhs jointly. The interest is paid quarterly, providing a steady income.

Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS)
POMIS is another secure option. It offers a fixed monthly income and is backed by the government. You can invest up to Rs. 4.5 lakhs individually or Rs. 9 lakhs jointly. The interest rate is competitive, and the monthly payout can supplement your income.

Corporate Bonds and Non-Convertible Debentures (NCDs)
Investing in high-rated corporate bonds and NCDs can provide higher returns than traditional FDs. They come with a fixed tenure and interest rate, offering a predictable income stream. Ensure to choose high-rated instruments to minimize risk.

Dividend-Paying Stocks
Investing in blue-chip companies that pay regular dividends can provide a steady income. Dividends are usually paid quarterly and can supplement your monthly income. Choose companies with a strong track record of consistent dividends.

Monthly Income Plans (MIPs)
MIPs offered by mutual funds invest predominantly in debt instruments with a small portion in equity. They aim to provide regular income and capital appreciation. MIPs can be a good option for generating monthly income with moderate risk.

Assessing Risks and Diversification
Risk Assessment
Retirement planning requires balancing risk and returns. While you need growth to beat inflation, capital preservation is equally crucial. Assess your risk tolerance and align your investments accordingly. A mix of safe and growth-oriented investments will ensure stability and growth.

Diversification reduces risk and enhances returns. Spread your investments across different asset classes like FDs, mutual funds

, government schemes, and stocks. This strategy ensures that poor performance in one area does not significantly impact your overall portfolio.

Tax Efficiency and Planning
Tax-Saving Instruments
Maximize your tax benefits by investing in tax-saving instruments under Section 80C, such as Equity-Linked Savings Schemes (ELSS) and SCSS. These instruments help reduce your taxable income while offering growth and regular income.

Tax on Returns
Understand the tax implications of your investments. For instance, interest from FDs and SCSS is taxable, while long-term capital gains from equity mutual funds enjoy favorable tax treatment. Plan your withdrawals and investments to minimize tax liabilities.

Ensure you and your wife have adequate health insurance coverage. Medical expenses can erode your retirement corpus quickly. A comprehensive health insurance plan will provide peace of mind and financial security.

Estate Planning
Wills and Trusts
Estate planning is essential to ensure your assets are distributed according to your wishes. Draft a will to specify how your properties and investments should be allocated. Consider setting up a trust for efficient estate management and to minimize disputes among heirs.

Nomination and Succession
Ensure all your financial instruments have updated nominations. This simplifies the process for your heirs and ensures that your assets are transferred smoothly. Discuss your plans with your family to avoid confusion and misunderstandings later.

Liquidity
Maintain an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of your monthly expenses. This fund should be easily accessible and kept in a liquid instrument like a savings account or a liquid mutual fund. It provides a financial cushion for unexpected expenses.

Reviewing and Adjusting Your Plan
Regular Reviews
Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it aligns with your goals and risk tolerance. Financial markets and personal circumstances change, so adjust your plan accordingly. Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner to stay on track.

Rebalancing
Rebalancing your portfolio periodically is crucial to maintain your desired asset allocation. If your equity investments perform well, they might constitute a larger portion of your portfolio, increasing risk. Rebalance by selling a portion of equity and investing in debt to restore balance.

Stay Informed
Keep yourself informed about financial markets and new investment opportunities. Continuous learning helps make informed decisions and adapt to changing market conditions. Subscribing to financial newsletters and attending seminars can enhance your knowledge.

Long-Term Growth Strategies
For long-term growth, maintain a portion of your portfolio in equity investments. Equities have historically outperformed other asset classes over the long term. However, they come with higher risk, so balance your equity exposure based on your risk tolerance.

Real Assets
While you've asked not to consider real estate, it's worth mentioning that your ancestral property is a significant asset. Ensure it is well-maintained and consider potential income streams from it, such as renting or leasing, to supplement your retirement income.

Genuine Compliments and Appreciation
You have done an admirable job of planning and saving for your retirement. Your diverse portfolio, debt-free lifestyle, and significant assets reflect careful planning and financial discipline. It’s evident that you have a clear vision for a comfortable and secure retirement.

Your meticulous approach towards ensuring a regular income and safeguarding your assets for the future is commendable. You’ve laid a strong foundation for your golden years, and with a few strategic adjustments, you can enjoy a financially worry-free retirement.

Retirement planning is a continuous process that requires regular monitoring and adjustments. Your primary goal should be to ensure a stable and sufficient income while preserving your capital. Diversify your investments, assess risks carefully, and make informed decisions.

Utilize safe investment options like SCSS, POMIS, and high-rated corporate bonds for regular income. Consider mutual funds for growth, and always keep an emergency fund. Regular reviews and rebalancing will keep your portfolio aligned with your goals.

Stay informed, and don’t hesitate to seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner to optimize your strategy. Your proactive approach and diversified portfolio set you up for a successful and enjoyable retirement. Keep up the good work and continue to make prudent financial decisions.

Hello sir, I am 36 years old ,single working woman. My monthly oncomebis 2 lakhs 23 thousand. I have a home loan with 73K emi. I have about 6.5 in PPF and about 3 lakhs in PF. Currently I work directly with a Canadian company that puts me in a tax bracket of Consultants. I have NPS of 4 lakhs and annually invest in NPS, PPF and home loan. I want to create a savings of 10 lakhs in the next 3 years and pay off my home loan in the next 7 year. Please advise
Ans: Creating a financial plan that aligns with your goals is crucial. Your situation is unique, and your aspirations of saving Rs. 10 lakhs in the next three years and paying off your home loan in seven years are commendable. Let's outline a strategy to help you achieve these objectives.

Understanding Your Current Financial Situation
Income and Expenses

Your monthly income is Rs. 2.23 lakhs, with an EMI of Rs. 73,000 for your home loan. This leaves you with Rs. 1.5 lakhs to manage your other expenses, savings, and investments.

Existing Investments

You have Rs. 6.5 lakhs in PPF, Rs. 3 lakhs in PF, and Rs. 4 lakhs in NPS. These are stable and relatively low-risk investments.

Tax Considerations

As you work for a Canadian company, you fall into the consultant tax bracket, which may offer different tax advantages. Utilizing tax-saving investments efficiently can help reduce your tax burden.

Setting Clear Financial Goals
Savings Goal

You aim to save Rs. 10 lakhs in the next three years. This is achievable with disciplined planning.

Home Loan Repayment

Your goal to repay your home loan in the next seven years requires a structured approach. Accelerating loan repayment will save interest over time.

Creating a Structured Savings Plan
Monthly Savings Target

To save Rs. 10 lakhs in three years, you need to save about Rs. 27,777 per month. This should be manageable with your current income and expenses.

Before anything else, ensure you have an emergency fund. This fund should cover 6-9 months of expenses. It acts as a safety net against unexpected financial shocks.

Investment Strategies
PPF and PF Contributions

Continue your contributions to PPF and PF. These provide stability and tax benefits.

Consider investing in actively managed mutual funds. These funds are managed by professional fund managers who can adjust the portfolio to maximize returns.

Diversify your investments across different asset classes. This reduces risk and can enhance returns. You might consider a mix of equity and debt funds.

Tax Efficiency
Tax-Saving Investments

Maximize your contributions to tax-saving instruments like PPF, NPS, and ELSS (Equity Linked Savings Scheme). These can reduce your taxable income.

Home Loan Interest Deduction

Utilize the tax benefits on home loan interest payments under Section 24(b). This can significantly reduce your taxable income.

Accelerating Home Loan Repayment
Prepayment Strategy

Consider making prepayments on your home loan when possible. Even small prepayments can reduce the principal and, consequently, the interest burden.

Increase EMI Amount

If possible, increase your EMI amount annually. This will help reduce the loan tenure and save on interest.

Regular Review and Adjustment
Annual Financial Review

Review your financial plan annually. Adjust your strategies based on changes in income, expenses, and goals.

Consult a Certified Financial Planner

A certified financial planner can provide personalized advice. They can help optimize your investment and savings strategies.

Smart Budgeting and Expense Management
Track Your Expenses

Use budgeting tools to track your monthly expenses. Identify areas where you can cut back and save more.

Prioritize Spending

Prioritize essential expenses and limit discretionary spending. This will help you save more towards your goals.

Leveraging NPS for Long-Term Goals
NPS Contributions

Continue contributing to your NPS. It’s a robust tool for long-term retirement planning.

Tax Benefits

NPS contributions offer additional tax benefits under Section 80CCD(1B), up to Rs. 50,000.

Maximizing Returns on Existing Investments
Regular Monitoring

Monitor your PPF and PF investments. Ensure they are aligned with your overall financial goals.

Rebalancing Portfolio

Periodically rebalance your investment portfolio. This ensures it remains aligned with your risk tolerance and financial goals.

Building a Contingency Plan

Ensure you have adequate health and life insurance. This protects your financial plan against unforeseen events.

Creating a Will

Consider creating a will to ensure your assets are distributed according to your wishes. This provides peace of mind and security for your loved ones.

Your financial goals are achievable with careful planning and disciplined execution. By saving systematically, optimizing your investments, and efficiently managing your debt, you can create a secure financial future. Regular reviews and adjustments to your plan will ensure you stay on track towards achieving your aspirations.

Dear Sir, I have an offer from Manipal Udupi (main campus) in joining Mechanical (from 3rd round of counseling). I am not interested on Mechanical, and I do not have any other offers in hand. I am thinking of dropping this year and preparing of JEE next year. Please note, my JEE result was below 80% percentile and PCM at 80% this year. Is it advisable to drop a year or going with Mech in Manipal-U (I am hearing that there would be few more intra-campus counselling rounds which might change my position from mech to other streams like electrical or electronics.
Ans: Bibek, what are you are referring is sliding / upgrading to other streams. Please note this depends upon the demands by other students belonging to Mechanical for ECE/CSE/EEE etc. and also your academic performance in 1st year. I normally do not recommend 'drop'. Besides, keeping in view your score in Board/JEE, it is not advisable. Better to join Manipal-Main Campus for Mechanical & try for sliding.

Some suggestions before / after joining Manipal. (1) Have a thorough research about Manipal Main Campus about its culture, hostel facilities, internship opportunities, placement records, infrastructure, faculties, quality of teaching etc. to yourself get mentally prepared (2) Keep upgrading your skills (3) Create a Professional LinkedIn Profile and keep updating it every 3-months, using keywords related to your domain / skills (4) Put Job Alerts in LinkeIn to get notifications to know about Job Market Trends to keep yourself updated (5) Connect with Professionals of your domain (not to ask for jobs) to gain knowledge from them and their views. All the Best for Your Bright Future.

To Know More on 'Education | Careers | Jobs', Ask / Follows us in RediffGURUS.