Samkit

Samkit Maniar  |101 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 26, 2024

CA Samkit Maniar has eight years of experience in income tax, mergers and acquisitions and estate planning.
Malini Question by Malini on May 07, 2024Hindi

My husband and his brother jointly invested in a property 20 years back, for an amount of 8 lakhs (equal share between them). However the property was registered only on the brother's name. Now he intends to sell the property for 70 lakhs and share the sale proceeds with my husband equally. What would be the Long Term Capital Gain tax liability on both the brothers after the sale? Can he transfer my husband's share as 'Gift" within blood relation, being his own brother?

Ans: Considering it was registered in the name of your brother in law, practically a buyer would pay the entire sum to him unless you can prove that the property belonged to both the brothers equally. Even in the eyes of law, brother in law will have to pay capital gains alone. For capital tax exemption, the proceeds will need to reinvested in residential property or NHAI/ REC bonds.

Gift prior to sale will help but there would be nominal stamp duty cost (no income tax issue). Once property is equally owned and registered in the records then respectively portion can be sold by each of the brothers and accounted accordingly.

Please take your CA advice as well on this before moving ahead.

Ans: The Long-Term Capital Gain (LTCG) tax liability on the sale of the property will depend on various factors, including the purchase price, sale price, and holding period. Here's how it's calculated:

Determine Cost of Acquisition: The cost of acquisition for your husband's share would be his portion of the original investment, i.e., Rs. 4 lakhs.

Calculate Indexed Cost of Acquisition: Adjust the cost of acquisition for inflation using the Cost Inflation Index (CII) for the relevant financial years. This indexed cost will be used to calculate the LTCG.

Deduct Indexed Cost from Sale Price: Subtract the indexed cost of acquisition from the sale price to determine the LTCG.

Apply LTCG Tax Rate: As per current tax laws, LTCG on the sale of immovable property is taxed at 20% with indexation.

Compute Tax Liability: Calculate the tax payable on the LTCG at the applicable rate of 20%.

Transfer of Share as Gift:

Your husband's brother can transfer your husband's share of the sale proceeds as a gift within the blood relation. However, it's essential to consider the tax implications of such a transfer:

Gift Tax Liability: Gifts received from relatives are generally exempt from tax under the Income Tax Act. Therefore, your husband should not incur any gift tax liability on receiving his share of the sale proceeds from his brother.

Documentation: Ensure proper documentation for the gift transaction, including a gift deed or a written agreement, to establish the transfer of ownership legally.

Avoiding Tax Evasion: While gifting within blood relations is permissible, it's crucial to ensure compliance with tax laws and avoid any suspicion of tax evasion. Proper documentation and transparency are essential to demonstrate the legitimate nature of the transaction.

Consultation with Tax Advisor:

Given the complexity of tax implications and legal requirements, it's advisable to consult with a tax advisor or chartered accountant who can provide personalized guidance based on your specific circumstances and ensure compliance with tax laws.

Dear sir my son is srm ap in btech CSE 3 Rd year how to get placement
Ans: Some important steps to get placed in Campus Recruitment: (1) To keep his PROFESSIONAL Resume Ready now itself, covering all his achievements including Certifications (hope he would have done some both offline and online from NPTEL, Internshala, LinkedIn, Coursera etc. (2) He should still continue do online Certificate short-term courses, relevant to his domain (3) Should have a Professional LinkedIn Profile. If already has, fine-tune by updating it (4) Should get connected to Professionals in same domain. (Not to ask for jobs). If the Recruiters / Employers expectation meets your son's profile, they will be in touch with him (5) To put job alerts, related to his domain / certifications / skills to know the current market scenario / employers' expectations (6) To know the selection process and to start preparing for Campus Recruitment (Aptitude Test, Interview, & GD) (7) To make a thorough RESEARCH about the Companies visited the College last year and go through their websites to know about the Company Profile, Products / Services Provided, HR Policy etc. (8) To also start applying through LinkedIn by the end of his final year, if companies' JD matches with your son's profile. Hope this information is enough for your Son. All The BEST for your Son’s Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad) | SOP Writing Tips’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

Nayagam PP |
EduJob360 |
CERTIFIED Career Coach | Career Guru |
https://www.linkedin.com/in/edujob360/

Hi I am a 35-year-old woman and my husband is 45. we are made for each other couple. we love each other and we do not have any compatibility issues except in romance. he is not very romantic and even throughout my younger years I was also not very romantic and immersed myself in studies and career. He is not very active in sex also. A few years back I told him that I wanted to be romantic after marriage and now we are not, so I missed my college and early office days when I was in my prime and could have been romantically involved with guys. Since I look very young even at 35, he suggested that I still can move around with guys and get romantic and I need not miss anything even now. though initially declining the offer, I moved a little freely toward men, mostly colleagues, and a few social club members. I encouraged late-night messages, coffee meets, movies, etc. I update my husband on every single event that happens. ex, if I went to a movie with a colleague, I will message my hubby " We kissed", if that happened. he encourages me so much and is happy with whatever is happening, cutting a long story short. though I didn't think it would go so far, I am now romantically very active. soft romance-like messages I do with many. Dating I don't say no to my known circle like colleagues, ex-colleagues, college mates, etc and almost 2-3 times a week I end up dating someone in a coffee shop, pub, or a long drive. A few times I initiate a date too. and I must confess that I have regular intimacy with four young men, all from the same office where I work. I have never hidden anything from my hubby and give a complete account every day. I offered to stop everything any moment he said. but he told me till age is there enjoy life!. I am emotionally connected to my husband only and I do all my responsibilities as a woman. Our relationship has grown manifold. My only question is, am I exploiting my husband's innocence or does he have a cuckold fantasy? If I continue the way I continue with no harm to anyone, can I keep doing it ( I love to). or I should stop at once?

After reading your question I understood that your partner and you have, what we call, an open relationship. As long as both partners are okay with the dynamics of it, and no one is emotionally hurt, or resisting, it should be okay. It isn't exploitation if your husband himself encourages you. You are both consenting adults and not harming each other or anyone else. As for your question, if he has a cuckold fantasy, that is something you should discuss with your husband. An open discussion is better than speculation. Also, at any time if you suspect that your husband is growing concerned about the nature of your relationship, ask him directly. It can help avoid misunderstandings.

Hello sir mai 28 year ki hoo mai abhi llb kar rahi hoo mai last 7 year se relationship mai hoo vo mujse 25 year bade hai saruaat 1 to 2 year inhone muje bhot priorities di ab hum 3 to 4 month mai kabhi milte hai hum dono alag alag city mai hai unki bhot badi family hai or finincially bhi problem chal rahi hai last 3 yaer se vo.muje priority nai de rahe hum.roj bat karte hai vo mera khyal bhi rakhte hai lekin muje unse ab dur nai hona mene sadi na karne ka decisions Liya hai lekin kitni bar bhot akela feel karti hoo vo muje itna time nai dete phele jaisa nai hai aisa lagta hai.fir vo ku6 help kar de ya pyar se bat bhi kar le.to.lagta hai sab theek hai mai.bhot confused hoo mai.kya karu muje kya karna chahiye ..

Dating someone older than you is not the problem, but the fact that you are making major life decisions based on what he wants and doesn't want is concerning. I am guessing that you decided to not get married because he doesn't want it either. Is that fair to you? You yourself mentioned that you often feel lonely. Don't you think you deserve better? Don't you deserve someone who would love you and would like to spend the rest of their life with you? Please reconsider this relationship. Speak to your partner and ask him what his plans are for the future. Does he want to settle down with you? How will you two continue this relationship in the future? There are many important questions that need answering. Sort them out and you will have the solution to your dilemma.