Ulhas

Ulhas Joshi  |266 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Jan 29, 2024

With over 16 years of experience in the mutual fund industry, Ulhas Joshi has helped numerous clients choose the right funds and create wealth.
Prior to joining RankMF as CEO, he was vice president (sales) at IDBI Asset Management Ltd.
Shawn Question by Shawn on Jan 28, 2024Hindi

Hello Ulhas ji, I am 27 yrs old with monthly salary of 32k and would like to invest in mutual funds. Currently I am investing in lumpsum White Oak fund but it is not giving sufficient returns. Please suggest where should I invest 8k monthly other than above fund. My investments will be for 6-8 yrs with 5-8% increase every year

Ans: Hi Shawn & thanks for writing to me.

As I understand it, you are currently investing for a 6 to 8 year time horizon. You can consider investing in a mix of multi asset funds & balanced advantage funds which invest across a mix of asset classes with the potential to reduce volatility.

If you share your risk appetite and other details, I may make other recommendations.

Hello Sir , I have 40 lakhs lump sum with me. where as I invested 20 lakhs in mutual fund..Plz suggest me where i can invest remaining 20 lakh amount for monthly income as well future retirement planning purpose also. please guide me.
Ans: It's great to see your proactive approach to financial planning. Let's explore some options for investing your remaining 20 lakhs:

• Firstly, kudos on investing 20 lakhs in mutual funds. They offer growth potential and can play a vital role in your investment portfolio.

• For generating monthly income, consider fixed income options like bonds, fixed deposits, or debt mutual funds.
• These investments provide regular interest or dividends, offering a steady stream of income for your needs.

• To ensure future retirement planning, consider a combination of growth and income-generating investments.
• Equity mutual funds can provide long-term growth potential, while balanced funds offer a mix of equity and debt for stability.

• Additionally, explore retirement-focused investment vehicles like National Pension Scheme (NPS) or Pension Plans offered by insurance companies.
• These instruments offer tax benefits and provide a corpus for retirement income.

• Remember to diversify your investments across asset classes to mitigate risk and maximize returns.
• Consult with a Certified Financial Planner to tailor an investment strategy aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance.

• Keep in mind that investing is a journey, and it's essential to review and adjust your portfolio regularly.
• Stay focused on your long-term financial objectives, and don't hesitate to seek professional advice when needed.

• With careful planning and disciplined investing, you can build a robust investment portfolio that supports your financial goals.
• Congratulations on taking this important step towards securing your financial future! Keep up the good work!

Hi, I'm 35 yrs I can invest 25000-50000 per month, where should i invest. I can take moderate risk, 10yrs time horizon, I invested 10lakhs in direct shares already. Investing in Mirae ELSS monthly 4000rupees Not invested in any other mutual funds. I earn monthly 1 lakh, no emi, i can save 80k per month, let me know where i can invest 25-50k monthly
Ans: It's great to see your proactive approach to investing and your willingness to explore additional investment avenues. Given your risk tolerance, time horizon, and monthly saving capacity, mutual funds can be an excellent option to diversify your portfolio and potentially enhance returns over the long term. Here's a suggested approach for your monthly investments of 25,000 to 50,000 rupees:

Increase SIP Investment:
Since you're already investing in Mirae ELSS with a monthly SIP of 4,000 rupees, consider increasing your SIP amount in this fund or adding SIPs in other mutual funds.
Diversify Across Fund Categories:
Allocate your monthly investment across different categories of mutual funds to diversify your portfolio and manage risk effectively.
Consider investing in large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds to gain exposure to different segments of the market.
Consider Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs):
SIPs offer the advantage of rupee cost averaging and disciplined investing, making them suitable for long-term wealth creation.
You can start SIPs with varying amounts in different funds based on your risk appetite and investment objectives.
Fund Selection:
Choose mutual funds with a proven track record of consistent performance, experienced fund managers, and a robust investment process.
Look for funds with low expense ratios and high-quality portfolios that align with your investment goals and risk profile.
Regular Monitoring and Review:
Keep a close eye on the performance of your mutual fund investments and regularly review your portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial objectives.
Make adjustments to your investment strategy as needed based on changes in market conditions, your risk tolerance, and investment goals.
Seek Professional Advice:
Consider consulting with a financial advisor or Certified Financial Planner to develop a customized investment plan tailored to your specific needs and goals.
A professional can provide valuable insights and guidance to help you make informed investment decisions and navigate the complexities of the financial markets.
By diversifying your investments across mutual funds and adopting a disciplined approach to investing, you can potentially achieve your financial goals and build wealth over the long term. Remember to stay patient, stay focused on your long-term objectives, and avoid making impulsive investment decisions.

Dear Mr. Ramalingam, I am 44 years old and single. The only investment I have is on PPF. For 15 lakhs. I want to start investing in Mutual funds about 20K per month. A long term investment until I am 58 years old . I have annual 35 lakhs medical insurance . I can invest in high risk as well. Can you please advise me where can I invest in mutual funds please ? Thank you very much in advance .
Ans: Investing in mutual funds is a strategic way to grow your wealth over time. Given your age of 44 and your plan to invest Rs 20,000 per month until you are 58, you have a solid investment horizon. Let's dive into how you can make the most of this opportunity.

Understanding Mutual Funds

Mutual funds are investment vehicles that pool money from many investors to buy a diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds, or other securities. This diversification helps in spreading risk, which is essential for high-risk investments. Considering your openness to high-risk investments, let's explore various mutual fund categories suitable for long-term growth.

Equity Mutual Funds: A High-Growth Potential

Equity mutual funds invest primarily in stocks. They are known for their high growth potential and are ideal for long-term investors. Within equity funds, there are several sub-categories:

1. Large-Cap Funds:

These funds invest in large, well-established companies. While they are less volatile than mid-cap and small-cap funds, they still offer good returns over the long term. Large-cap funds can be the cornerstone of your investment portfolio, providing stability and consistent growth.

2. Mid-Cap Funds:

Mid-cap funds invest in medium-sized companies. These companies have the potential for significant growth, albeit with higher volatility than large-cap funds. Including mid-cap funds in your portfolio can boost returns while balancing risk.

3. Small-Cap Funds:

Small-cap funds invest in smaller companies with high growth potential. These funds are the most volatile but can offer substantial returns. A small allocation in small-cap funds can enhance your portfolio's growth prospects.

4. Flexi-Cap Funds:

Flexi-cap funds invest across large, mid, and small-cap stocks. This flexibility allows the fund manager to adjust the portfolio based on market conditions. Flexi-cap funds provide a balanced approach to risk and return.

Balanced Funds: Diversification with Stability

Balanced or hybrid funds invest in both equities and debt instruments. They offer a balance between growth and stability, making them suitable for investors looking for moderate risk. Within balanced funds, there are aggressive hybrid funds that have a higher allocation to equities and conservative hybrid funds that lean more towards debt instruments.

Debt Funds: Lower Risk with Steady Returns

Debt funds invest in fixed-income securities like government bonds, corporate bonds, and money market instruments. They offer lower risk compared to equity funds but with steady returns. Including a small portion of debt funds in your portfolio can provide stability during volatile market periods.

Sector and Thematic Funds: Targeted Growth

Sector funds invest in specific sectors like technology, healthcare, or finance. Thematic funds follow a particular investment theme, such as infrastructure or consumption. These funds can provide high returns if the sector or theme performs well. However, they come with higher risk due to their concentrated nature.

International Funds: Global Diversification

International funds invest in global markets, offering diversification beyond the Indian economy. They can be a valuable addition to your portfolio, providing exposure to international growth opportunities and mitigating country-specific risks.

SIP: The Smart Way to Invest

A Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) allows you to invest a fixed amount regularly, such as Rs 20,000 per month. SIPs help in averaging the purchase cost and mitigate the impact of market volatility. They instill financial discipline and are ideal for long-term wealth creation.

The Power of Compounding

Investing Rs 20,000 per month for 14 years can lead to significant wealth accumulation due to the power of compounding. Compounding means earning returns on both your initial investment and the returns generated. Starting early and staying invested is key to maximizing this benefit.

Asset Allocation: The Key to Risk Management

Diversifying your investments across different asset classes is crucial for managing risk. A well-balanced portfolio might include a mix of equity, balanced, and debt funds. As you approach your retirement age, gradually shifting towards more stable investments can protect your accumulated wealth.

Tax Efficiency: Maximizing Your Returns

Mutual funds offer tax benefits that can enhance your overall returns. Equity funds held for more than one year qualify for long-term capital gains (LTCG) tax at a favorable rate. Equity-Linked Savings Schemes (ELSS) provide tax deductions under Section 80C, making them a tax-efficient investment option.

Regularly reviewing and rebalancing your portfolio ensures it stays aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance. Market conditions change, and so do your personal circumstances. Adjusting your investments accordingly helps in maintaining an optimal portfolio.

Choosing the Right Funds

While specific scheme recommendations are beyond this discussion, selecting funds managed by reputable fund houses with a consistent track record is essential. Look for funds with a clear investment strategy and strong performance history. Consulting a Certified Financial Planner can help tailor your investment choices to your unique needs.

Avoiding Common Pitfalls

Investing in mutual funds requires patience and discipline. Avoid timing the market or making impulsive decisions based on short-term market movements. Stick to your investment plan, and focus on long-term growth.

The Role of a Certified Financial Planner

A Certified Financial Planner (CFP) can provide personalized advice, helping you navigate the complexities of mutual fund investments. They can assist in creating a comprehensive financial plan, ensuring your investments align with your long-term goals.

Staying Informed and Educated

Keeping yourself informed about market trends and mutual fund performance is crucial. Regularly reading financial news, attending investment seminars, and staying updated with fund house communications can empower you to make informed decisions.

Appreciating the Journey

Investing is a journey towards financial independence and security. Your decision to invest Rs 20,000 per month in mutual funds is commendable. It shows foresight and a commitment to securing your future. Celebrate each milestone, and stay focused on your goals.

Health and Wealth: A Balanced Approach

While building wealth is important, maintaining good health is equally crucial. Your annual medical insurance coverage of Rs 35 lakhs is a wise move. It ensures you have a safety net for unforeseen medical expenses, allowing you to focus on your financial goals without worry.

Market Volatility: Staying Calm and Composed

Market fluctuations are a part of investing. During volatile periods, it’s essential to stay calm and avoid making hasty decisions. Trust in your investment plan and remember that market downturns are often followed by recoveries.

Inflation: The Silent Eroder

Inflation erodes the purchasing power of your money over time. Investing in mutual funds, particularly equity funds, helps combat inflation by providing returns that outpace inflation. This ensures your wealth grows in real terms.

Retirement Planning: A Long-Term Vision

Your goal of investing until 58 aligns with a long-term vision for retirement. Building a substantial corpus through mutual funds will provide you with financial independence and the ability to enjoy your retirement years without financial stress.

Regular Investments: The Path to Success

Consistency is key to successful investing. Regular investments through SIPs ensure you stay committed to your financial goals. Even during market lows, continue investing to benefit from lower purchase costs and higher future returns.

Investing in mutual funds is a smart choice for long-term wealth creation. By diversifying across different fund categories and staying committed to your investment plan, you can achieve your financial goals. Your readiness to take on high risk for potentially higher returns is commendable. Keep educating yourself, consult with a Certified Financial Planner, and stay focused on your long-term vision.

Investing is a journey, and each step you take brings you closer to financial independence. Keep up the great work, and enjoy the fruits of your disciplined approach.

Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1891 Answers  |Ask -

Stock Market Expert - Answered on Jul 24, 2024

Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1891 Answers  |Ask -

Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1891 Answers  |Ask -