Vivek

Vivek Lala  |251 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, MF Expert - Answered on Mar 12, 2024

Vivek Lala has been working as a tax planner since 2018. His expertise lies in making personalised tax budgets and tax forecasts for individuals. As a tax advisor, he takes pride in simplifying tax complications for his clients using simple, easy-to-understand language.
Kumar Question by Kumar on Jul 02, 2023Hindi

Hello Sir, I am 52 year old working in private sector and my son is 12 year old. Still now I invest all my savings in PF and VPF as I had lost 3 to 4 lakh in share market. I have around 50 lakh in PF and PPF. At this age its right to invest in mutual fund rather than VPF? If then which mutual funds will be given more benefit to me. My VPF contribution is Rs 22K per month. Shall I go with SIP or some other fund Thank you.

Ans: Yes I would prefer to be invested in a diversified mutual fund portfolio over VPF
You can break up the 22K into the following provided your time horizon is 7 years plus :
Small cap - 25%
Mid cap - 25%
Multi cap - 25%
Large and mid cap - 25%

Please note that these suggestions are based on your stated goals and the information you provided. It is always a good idea to consult with a financial advisor in person to better understand your risk tolerance, time horizon, and specific financial goals.

Hello Sir, I am 42 years old women. Earning 1 LPM in hand. I Have 15 years old son. I never invested in mutual funds. Requesting your advice to start investing in mutual funds, like how much in which mutual funds. so I can achieve below goals 5 cr before retirement( in next 16 years) 1 cr for my son higher education by another 7 years. 1 Cr for my son marriage in another 10 years Current investments are: 1. PPF - 1.5 LPA from last 5 years ( planning to reduce considering the interest rate ) 2. VPF - 22k per month from last 2 year 3. PF- 12k per month ( and additional 12k from Employer) ( I have total around 20 L in PF now ) 4. NPS - 10k per month from last 1 year Kindly please help me with your answers considering no other income stream.
Ans: It's commendable that you're looking to start investing in mutual funds to achieve your financial goals. With a clear vision and a steady income, you're well-positioned to embark on this investment journey.

Given your goals and current investments, here's a suggested approach:

Retirement Corpus (5 Cr in 16 years): Given the time horizon, you can consider investing in a combination of equity mutual funds for higher returns potential and debt mutual funds for stability. An SIP in diversified equity funds and balanced funds could be a good starting point.
Son's Higher Education (1 Cr in 7 years): To achieve this goal, you might consider investing in a mix of equity and debt funds, leaning more towards equity for higher growth potential.
Son's Marriage (1 Cr in 10 years): Similar to the education goal, a blend of equity and debt funds can be considered. You might also explore targeted funds designed for specific financial goals.
Given your current investments in PPF, VPF, PF, and NPS, you have a stable foundation. However, considering the reducing interest rates and your goals' timelines, diversifying into mutual funds could potentially offer higher returns.

A Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized advice tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and investment horizon. They can help you select suitable mutual fund categories, recommend investment amounts, and guide you on portfolio diversification.

Remember, investing is a long-term commitment, and it's essential to stay invested and review your portfolio periodically. Best wishes on your investment journey towards achieving your financial goals!

Hi, I am 55 and plan to work till 60, I have approx 30 lakhs in FD's, 30 lakhs in MF , around 8-9 lakhs in NPS/PPF , also approx 5 lakh in my PF account. Both me and my wife are working and together earning 1.5 lakh per month. Pls guide if at this age I should further invest in MF ( Equities) . I have 1 Son who is in Canada and probable post retirement plan to shift. Kindly guide
Ans: Planning for retirement is a crucial step, and it's commendable that you’re thinking ahead. With five years left until retirement and aspirations to move to Canada post-retirement, it's essential to create a well-rounded financial plan. Let’s dive into your current situation and see how best to navigate the next few years.

Assessing Your Current Financial Situation
You and your wife earn a combined monthly income of Rs 1.5 lakh. You have accumulated:

Rs 30 lakhs in fixed deposits (FDs)
Rs 30 lakhs in mutual funds (MFs)
Rs 8-9 lakhs in NPS/PPF
Rs 5 lakhs in PF account
These are solid savings, and they provide a good foundation for your retirement planning.

Fixed Deposits: Stability and Safety
Your Rs 30 lakhs in fixed deposits offer stability and guaranteed returns, which is excellent for preserving capital. However, FD returns might not outpace inflation, affecting your purchasing power over time.

Recommendation: Continue to hold FDs for safety and liquidity. They can be your emergency fund or short-term goal reserves.
Mutual Funds: Growth and Diversification
Your Rs 30 lakhs in mutual funds is a great move for growth. Mutual funds provide diversification and potential for higher returns compared to FDs. Given your current age, it's vital to balance between equity and debt funds to manage risk.

Actively Managed Mutual Funds
Actively managed mutual funds could be beneficial. Unlike index funds, these funds are managed by professionals aiming to outperform market benchmarks.

Benefits: Professional management, potential for higher returns, flexibility to adjust to market conditions.

Diversification: Spread investments across large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds for balanced risk and return.

Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs)
Continuing SIPs in mutual funds can be a disciplined way to invest regularly and benefit from rupee cost averaging.

Advantages: Mitigates market volatility, consistent investment approach, and potential for long-term growth.
NPS/PPF: Secure and Tax-Efficient
Your Rs 8-9 lakhs in NPS and PPF are good for secure, tax-efficient savings. NPS offers a mix of equity and debt, providing a balanced growth approach, while PPF offers fixed returns with tax benefits.

Recommendation: Continue contributing to NPS for long-term growth and PPF for guaranteed returns and tax benefits.
Provident Fund (PF): Retirement Corpus
Your Rs 5 lakhs in the PF account is part of your retirement corpus, offering guaranteed returns and tax benefits.

Recommendation: Maintain your PF account and ensure you don't withdraw prematurely to maximize benefits.
Evaluating Additional Investments in Mutual Funds (Equities)
At 55, you’re at a stage where you need to balance growth and capital preservation. Investing more in equities can offer growth, but it also comes with higher risk. Here’s how to proceed:

Assessing Risk Tolerance
Understanding your risk tolerance is crucial. At this stage, a balanced approach between equity and debt is advisable.

Moderate Risk Approach: Allocate a higher proportion to debt funds and a moderate amount to equity funds.
Benefits of Investing in Mutual Funds Through MFD with CFP Credential
Investing through a Mutual Fund Distributor (MFD) with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) credential can offer several advantages:

Professional Guidance: Access to expert advice and tailored investment strategies.

Regular Monitoring: Ongoing portfolio management and adjustments based on market conditions.

Holistic Financial Planning: Comprehensive financial planning to align investments with your retirement goals.

Planning for Relocation to Canada
Relocating to Canada post-retirement is a significant decision that requires thorough financial planning. Here are key considerations:

Understanding Cost of Living
Research and understand the cost of living in Canada, including housing, healthcare, and daily expenses. This will help in estimating the retirement corpus needed.

Cost Consideration: Living expenses in Canada can be higher compared to India. Plan accordingly for a comfortable lifestyle.
Currency Exchange and Financial Transfers
Managing currency exchange rates and financial transfers between India and Canada is crucial to avoid potential losses.

Exchange Rates: Keep an eye on exchange rates and plan transfers to optimize value.

Financial Transfers: Use reliable financial institutions for transferring funds to minimize costs and ensure security.

Ensuring Adequate Insurance Coverage
Healthcare in Canada is different, and ensuring adequate health insurance coverage is essential.

Evaluate your health insurance needs and ensure you have comprehensive coverage, including international coverage if needed.

International Coverage: Check if your current health insurance provides coverage in Canada. If not, consider additional international health insurance.
Building a Retirement Corpus
Creating a retirement corpus that can sustain you in Canada is crucial. Here’s a strategy to build and manage your corpus effectively:

Systematic Withdrawal Plans (SWPs)
SWPs from mutual funds can provide a regular income stream during retirement, ensuring a steady cash flow.

Regular Income: SWPs offer a fixed monthly income while keeping your capital invested and growing.
Dividend-Paying Stocks and Funds
Investing in dividend-paying stocks and mutual funds can provide regular income through dividends, supplementing your retirement corpus.

Stable Income: Dividends offer a steady income stream, which is especially beneficial during retirement.
Managing Post-Retirement Income
Ensuring a steady income post-retirement is crucial. Here are a few strategies:

Income from Investments
Diversify your investments to generate income through various sources like mutual funds, stocks, and fixed deposits.

Diversified Income: Multiple income streams reduce risk and ensure financial stability.
Effective tax planning can help you maximize your post-retirement income and reduce tax liability.

Tax-Efficient Withdrawals: Plan withdrawals in a tax-efficient manner to minimize tax impact.
Inflation Protection
Protecting your retirement corpus from inflation is essential to maintain your purchasing power.

Equity investments typically offer returns that outpace inflation, making them a good choice for long-term growth.

Inflation Hedge: Equities provide a hedge against inflation, ensuring your corpus retains its value.
Planning for retirement at 60 with the intention to move to Canada requires a balanced and strategic approach. Your current savings, including Rs 30 lakhs in FDs, Rs 30 lakhs in mutual funds, Rs 8-9 lakhs in NPS/PPF, and Rs 5 lakhs in PF, provide a strong foundation.

Focus on maintaining a balance between growth and capital preservation. Actively managed mutual funds and SIPs can offer growth, while NPS, PPF, and FDs provide stability and tax benefits. Investing through a CFP can enhance your portfolio management and financial planning.

Ensure you have adequate insurance coverage, including health insurance, for your time in Canada. Plan for currency exchange and financial transfers to manage your funds efficiently.

Building a retirement corpus that sustains your lifestyle in Canada requires careful planning and diversification of income streams. Systematic withdrawal plans, dividend-paying stocks, and mutual funds can provide regular income.

Protect your corpus from inflation through equity investments and effective tax planning to maximize your post-retirement income.