Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Vivek Lala  |161 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, MF Expert - Answered on Mar 20, 2023

AKASH Question by AKASH on Mar 18, 2023

My father has sold a piece of land and now wants to save capital gain tax. Can I sell my flat to my father under sale deed to get the capital gains benefit to my father?

Ans: There is a tax liability in both cases
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Sanjeev Govila  |196 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Feb 17, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Feb 17, 2023
I bought a Flat, with JOINT ownership with my wife, in December, 2021. The Conveyance Deed (amounting Rs.93.60 Lakh) was got executed & registered by the Builder in our favour in May, 2022. This Flat was earlier sold by the Builder to another person but the earlier owner never got executed/registered the conveyance deed and transfered/surrendered back the ownership on settlement of outstanding loan etc. by us, through finance by Bank, in December, 2021. We both are repaying the EMI for this joint property. Now, I have soldout my another house property (built in 2004 and was in single ownership in my name and not jointly with wife) in February, 2023 in Rs.90.00 lakh. Kindly let me know whether the capital gain of property sold by me can be adjusted against the property bought in JOINT TITLE / OWNERSHIP with wife.Thanks and Regards.
Ans: The provisions of Section 54 of Income Tax Act, which allows you to buy a residential property earlier and then sell some other residential property and adjust the LTCG (Long Term Capital Gains) of the latter into the former, is available only if the gap between the two transactions is One year or less.

In your case, you have written that you ‘bought’ the house in Dec 2021, and then ‘Conveyance Deed’ was done in May 2022. This is confusing since the applicability of Section 54 of Income Tax Act is specifically with ‘possession’ of the house.

If you got possession of the house in Dec 21, then the gap between possession of new house and sale of old house is more than One year and hence you cannot adjust the LTCG of the two properties.

If you got the possession of the new house in May 2022, then the Section 54 of Income Tax Act is applicable to you. Since the new house has been jointly bought and both of you have paid for it, then the LTCG of the sold house will be adjusted to the extent of your share in the newly bought house. If it gets fully adjusted, well-and-good. If not, then you will have to exercise other options (buy a property, buy 54EC bonds or pay the tax) as per Section 54.

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 03, 2023


Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 05, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - May 05, 2023
I have booked a under construction flat in May 2022 for 2.80 crs inclusive of GST and stamp duty likely possession in December 2023, Flat is in joint name with my wife on 50:50 basis. I have availed joint Bank loan of 2.10 crores which is partially disbursed approx 1.76 crores up to now. balance will be disbursed before possession. I will be selling by old flat in January 2024 which is in my individual name, which I purchased in July 2017 for 92.50 lacs inclusive of stamp duty, approx selling price will be 1.25 crores. This flat is also on loan of 54 lakhs outstanding .What will be the capital gain against this and can this be setoff against the new flat? Difference amount 1.25 crores(sale price) less 54 lakhs (Bank Loan) balance amount of 71 lakhs I might pay against the new bank loan of 2.10 crores which will reduce the loan to 1.39 crores. Please guide how to go to save the Capital gain tax.
Ans: Hi
You may have a long term capital gain of about Rs. 6.70 Lakhs. Suggestions to avoid paying any tax on this gain would be to pay towards the construction of the new house. This would mean that you may need to sell your house before you take possession of the new house in December 2023 and use the sale consideration to pay to the builder to the extent of approx Rs. 6.70 Lakhs to make it eligible as reinvestment in a new under construction property. This cannot be the other way round i.e. you cannot pay full amount to the builder and take possession and thereafter sell the old house.

If you need the house to stay till the possession of the new property then you could try for a rental arrangement with the buyer of your old house.
Latest Questions

Sushil Sukhwani  |108 Answers  |Ask -

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 04, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 24, 2023
I have completed my BE in Mechatronics in 2016. Then i started working in embedded electronic segment. But now i want to do masters from USA with top universities in power electronics. What is process. Which university will be best. Is power electronics will be good choice as academically i am from mechatronics background but professionally i am from embedded and power domain.
Ans: Hello,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am glad to hear about your plans on pursuing a Master's degree in the USA. As an answer to your question, I would like to let you know that it is indeed possible and rather a fruitful step to shift from a Bachelor's degree in Mechatronics to a Master's degree in Power Electronics in the United States. Take the following steps into consideration.

1. Conduct a thorough study and choose: As the first step in the process, I would recommend that you conduct an extensive study on the field of your choice i.e. power electronics and take into account the employment possibilities it has to offer. Although you have a background in mechatronics as previously mentioned by you, you should make sure that the field of power electronics matches your career objectives and interests, and for the same, I suggest that you get in touch with field experts as they will be able to advise you better.

2. Select Universities: There are a number of universities that are renowned for their programs in the field of power electronics. I recommend that you conduct a comprehensive study and list universities. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of California, Berkeley, Stanford University, and University of Michigan are among the prominent ones. In addition, the university’s location, scholarship opportunities they have to offer, the experience of faculty members, and the likelihood of you securing admission should also be taken into account.

3. Appear for the GRE and English Proficiency Tests viz., IELTS or TOEFL: Majority of the universities in USA require students to prepare for and undertake the GRE i.e. Graduate Record Examination. You may also be required to prove your fluency in the English language through appearing for English competency tests viz. the IELTS or TOEFL, if English is not your first language.

4. Submit a Strong Personal Statement or Statement of Purpose: Next, I would suggest that you draft a strong personal statement or Statement of Purpose that outlines your reasons for wanting to pursue a Master's degree in Power Electronics, how your training in mechatronics as well as your hands-on experience in the embedded and power sectors will help you succeed, and the reasons behind selecting the universities you intend applying to.

5. Submit Academic Marksheets and Endorsement Letters: Along with the SOP, you will also need to submit your BE program marksheets, and obtain strong recommendation letters from instructors and employers who can attest to your educational and work abilities.

6. Take necessary courses: As mentioned earlier, you have a background in mechatronics and now wish to pursue your Master's in Power Electronics. To aid in your transition from mechatronics to power electronics, and to fill in the knowledge gap between your training in mechatronics and the particular demands of power electronics, you may be required to appear for certain prerequisite courses. The courses that you may be required to appear for are mentioned on the websites of the universities.

7. Plan your Finances: Studying in the USA can be a costly affair, and so I suggest that you plan your finances adequately. Take into account your financial circumstances. Also universities in USA offer ample scholarships and assistantships, look into the possible financial aid options that universities have to offer.

8. Make Applications to Universities: As part of the application procedure you will need to submit all the necessary documentation, pay the required application fees, and adhere to application deadlines. I suggest that you complete each university’s online application procedure.

9. Apply for a Visa: On receiving a Letter of Acceptance from the university, as the next step in the process, you will be required to apply for a student visa. Generally, an F-1 visa is required to study in USA. I suggest that you submit the required paperwork and adhere to all the visa prerequisites.

10. Prepare to Migrate: The final step in the process will require you to make all the necessary arrangements. Arrange for accommodation, obtain a medical insurance, and make arrangements for other requirements in the country. Understand the customs and academic standards of the country.

As an answer to your query whether power electronics is a good choice or not, I would like to tell you that as you have expertise in the power and embedded sectors, this field can be a fantastic one. Different sectors viz., electric vehicles, renewable energy, consumer electronics, etc. all depend on the field of power electronics. As mechatronics frequently includes the combination of mechanical systems, control systems, and electronics, your knowledge in the field of mechatronics can offer a distinct viewpoint.

Lastly, the university that you select should resonate with professional ambitions and research pursuits with the filed of power electronics. I would suggest that you conduct a thorough study on not only the courses but also the expertise of the faculty members at each university to ascertain which one best suits your educational and professional goals.

For more information, you can visit our website.

Sushil Sukhwani  |108 Answers  |Ask -

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 03, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 03, 2023
I am doing WILP M.Sc IT first year BITS It is a course of 2.5 years in BITS. Can i join for 2nd year in abroad universities
Ans: Hello,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear about your plans on deciding to pursue the 2nd year of your WILP M.Sc IT BITS Pilani program at a university overseas. As an answer to your query, I would like to inform you that a number of factors including overseas universities’ guidelines as well as your BITS Pilani program’s acknowledgement play a vital role in deciding whether or not you are eligible to pursue the second year of the program at a university abroad. Please take the following factors into account:

1. Consider the program’s acknowledgement and accreditation: Accreditation or getting certified guarantees a student that his/her degree is legitimate and recognized by universities across the globe. As the first step in the process, I would suggest that you make sure that the pertinent academic institutions in India as well as overseas, both recognize as well as accept the WILP M.Sc. IT program at BITS Pilani.

2. Get to know the Transfer Guidelines: Transfer students are generally accepted by certain universities. Nevertheless, they possess unique prerequisites and constraints, and thus, in my opinion, it’s best to consult your preferred universities overseas in order to understand their guidelines with respect to the credit transfer from other schools/universities.

3. Familiarize Yourself with prerequisites for Admission: For transfer students, varying prerequisites for admission may be set forth by varying universities. I suggest that you get to know and adhere to not only their education criteria but also their prerequisites for language competency.

4. Ensure a coherence between the course curriculum: You will need to make sure that there is a coherence between the course of study that was completed by you at BITS Pilani and the program of study at the international university. Remember that in order to fill in any gaps, you may be needed to appear for other extra courses.

5. Plan your Finances: Pursuing studies overseas can be a costly affair, and for this reason, you will need to ensure that you have sufficient funds to pay for your living costs, tuition fees, as well as other miscellaneous expenditures.

6. Get in touch with education counselors: To better comprehend the consequences and the steps involved in the process of transferring to a foreign university, I highly recommend that you get in touch with education counselors at BITS Pilani as they will be in a better position to offer specialized advice based on your circumstances.

7. Get to know the Application Deadlines: You should get to know the last date to apply to your preferred universities overseas. For that, I recommend that you start planning well in advance and send in your application as per schedule.

8. Follow Visa and Immigration Prerequisites: There are visa and immigration prerequisites associated with studying overseas that you will be required to look in. To be able to study in your preferred country, I suggest that you adhere to the visa requirements in order to acquire the appropriate authorization.

I would like to inform you that transferring to an overseas university to pursue the second year of your studies is indeed possible. Nevertheless, you will need to take into account all the aforementioned aspects and plan meticulously. To see if you qualify and to understand the likelihood of transfer, I recommend that you conduct an extensive study and directly get in touch with each university as each may have unique prerequisites and guidelines.

For more information, you can visit our website.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds