Tax Expert - Answered on Feb 04, 2023

Mihir Ashok Tanna, who works with a well-known chartered accountancy firm in Mumbai, has more than 15 years of experience in direct taxation.
He handles various kinds of matters related to direct tax such as PAN/ TAN application; compliance including ITR, TDS return filing; issuance/ filing of statutory forms like Form 15CB, Form 61A, etc; application u/s 10(46); application for condonation of delay; application for lower/ nil TDS certificate; transfer pricing and study report; advisory/ opinion on direct tax matters; handling various income-tax notices; compounding application on show cause for TDS default; verification of books for TDS/ TCS/ equalisation levy compliance; application for pending income-tax demand and refund; charitable trust taxation and compliance; income-tax scrutiny and CIT(A) for all types of taxpayers including individuals, firms, LLPs, corporates, trusts, non-resident individuals and companies.
Sanket Question by Sanket on Feb 01, 2023Hindi

In case my annual income is 30 lakh and I have investment -1.5 lakh for 80c , what would be difference between old and new tax regime … any benefit or not ??

Ans: If taxable income of person is Rs.28,50,000 after claiming deduction of Rs.1,50,000 under 80C; tax liability will be Rs.6,67,500 plus cess under old regime. However, under new regime after proposal of Budget 2023 as per new slab rate tax liability will be Rs.6,00,000 so new regime is more beneficial.

Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Feb 01, 2023

Dear Sir, what is the difference between new and old tax regime as per new budget announced? What are the benefits? My annual salary is 10LPA
Ans: Hi
The difference between the old and new tax regime is that many deductions and exemptions are not available if an individual opts for the new tax regime.

Standard deduction, PT deduction, Mediclaim, Life Insurance, PF, NPS, Donations etc., are some of the common deductions that would not have been available to an individual opting for the new tax regime. The benefit that the individual would get by opting the new tax regime is that she / he would get lower rates of tax slab as compared to an individual opting for old tax regime.

With the new budget proposals, the FM intends to extend atleast 3 distinct benefits to individuals opting for the new tax regime.

1. Standard deduction would be available to be claimed
2. Slab rates of tax has been rationalized (improved) to give better tax relief to the individual
3. Individuals opting for new tax regime have got enhanced Nil tax window of Rs. 7 Lakhs as compared to old tax regime limit of Rs. 5 Lakhs. As your income even after the standard deduction would be above Rs. 7 Lakhs, this benefit is not really applicable to you.

If we look at an income of Rs. 10 Lakhs with standard deduction of Rs. 50000; you would pay Rs. 52,500 under the new tax regime (current budget proposal) as compared to Rs. 67,500 under the new tax regime (last year budget). So effectively comparing apple to apple, you have an additional saving of Rs. 15,000 in taxes

Parthiban T R

Parthiban T R   |176 Answers  |Ask -

I am 45 with 7 LPA salary. I have a purchased plot. I want to move out of my current house in 2 years. Should I build a house or purchase a flat?
Ans: Your Current Situation
At 45 years old with a salary of Rs 7 lakhs per annum, you own a plot and plan to move out of your current house in 2 years.

Key Considerations
Let's evaluate whether you should build a house or purchase a flat based on several factors.

Financial Assessment
Building a House
Pros:

Customization: You can design it according to your preferences and needs.

Potential Cost Savings: Building can be cheaper per square foot compared to buying a ready-made flat, depending on the area.

Appreciation: The value of a well-built house on your own plot may appreciate more over time.

Cons:

Time-Consuming: Construction can take a long time, potentially more than 2 years.

Management: Requires constant supervision and dealing with contractors, which can be stressful.

Initial Costs: High initial outlay for construction materials and labor.

Purchasing a Flat
Pros:

Convenience: Ready to move in, no waiting period or construction hassle.

Amenities: Flats often come with amenities like security, maintenance, gym, pool, etc.

Fixed Cost: Fixed price with no unexpected expenses compared to potential construction overruns.

Cons:

Less Customization: Limited to the builder's design and layout.

Maintenance Costs: Monthly maintenance charges can be high in some apartments.

Appreciation: Flats may appreciate less compared to individual houses on plots.

Lifestyle Considerations
Building a House
Privacy: More privacy and space compared to flats.

Expansion: Easier to expand or modify in the future as per your needs.

Community: Less communal living; more suited for those who prefer privacy.

Purchasing a Flat
Community Living: Better community interaction, good for families.

Security: Enhanced security measures compared to independent houses.

Maintenance: Professional maintenance of common areas and facilities.

Long-Term Goals
Financial Goals
Investment Potential: Consider long-term appreciation potential. A well-built house may offer better returns.

Future Expenses: Think about long-term maintenance and repair costs for both options.

Personal Goals
Retirement Plans: Consider which option suits your retirement lifestyle better. Flats often offer a more carefree lifestyle with less personal responsibility for maintenance.

Family Needs: Assess the needs of your family. Flats might be more suitable for small families or those who value community amenities.

Recommendation
Based on your situation, I recommend assessing the following before making a decision:

Time and Stress: If you have the time and are willing to manage construction, building a house can be rewarding. If not, purchasing a flat is convenient and less stressful.

Financial Position: Ensure you have a clear budget. Building a house can have unexpected costs. Flats have fixed pricing.

Long-Term View: Consider your long-term living and investment goals. Flats offer convenience and community, while a house offers privacy and potential higher appreciation.

Ultimately, the decision depends on your personal preferences, financial readiness, and long-term goals.