Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 26, 2024

Mihir Ashok Tanna, who works with a well-known chartered accountancy firm in Mumbai, has more than 15 years of experience in direct taxation.
He handles various kinds of matters related to direct tax such as PAN/ TAN application; compliance including ITR, TDS return filing; issuance/ filing of statutory forms like Form 15CB, Form 61A, etc; application u/s 10(46); application for condonation of delay; application for lower/ nil TDS certificate; transfer pricing and study report; advisory/ opinion on direct tax matters; handling various income-tax notices; compounding application on show cause for TDS default; verification of books for TDS/ TCS/ equalisation levy compliance; application for pending income-tax demand and refund; charitable trust taxation and compliance; income-tax scrutiny and CIT(A) for all types of taxpayers including individuals, firms, LLPs, corporates, trusts, non-resident individuals and companies.
Vilas Question by Vilas on Apr 06, 2024Hindi

I AM70 YRS OLD. IN HDFC UNDER 5 portfolios I am having together 14 lac. ?. I WANT TO SELL 4 PORTFOLIS AND INVEST ALL MONEY IN ONE PORTFOLIO OF HDFC, WILL THIS CAUSE INCOME TAX PROBLEMS PLEASE SUGGEST AN ADVICE.

Ans: Yes shifting from one fund to another will be considered as transfer

A portfolio of 10 Crore in next 5 years. Want to start 80-90 k sip in MF but not in Indian market. YOUR ADVISE REQUIRED? Me and my wife jointly monthly income three Lakh per month. By profession I am a PVC flex material trader, my wife is training centre owner. Having two cute nd naughty son 4 yrs and 2 yrs old. Myself Vishal Choubey nd My wife shanti both aged 39 years. Having 5 houses Rental income arround 55k per month collectively. 1 CR term insurance for both of us in case something happens. An lic of 6 Lac going to mature 2026. Till 31st March 2024 PPF Vishal (10L)+ 10(L) shanti. Ujjivan bank 9k share @ 21rs, Mix share 2Lac. Edelweiss greater China 3.1Lacs, Axis China fund 5.2 Lakh, An sip of 49000/- in Nippon Taiwan current investment 7.37 Lakh market value 9.53 lakh, 3k sip in icici tax fund. Idfc tax fund an investment of 70k is now 2.6 Lakh, Many fund got doubled in last 3-4 years Approx 50 lakh MF portfolio. FD 14 Lakh. A land parcel of 1 acre approx 40 Lakh. All the assets are created in last 10yrs. Wish to sell one apartment and invest into China fund your advise required?
Ans: Vishal and Shanti, it's inspiring to see how diligently you've built your portfolio over the years, especially while juggling busy professional lives and raising two adorable sons. Your dedication to securing your family's future is truly commendable.

Considering your aspirations to grow your portfolio to 10 Crore in the next 5 years, diversifying your investments beyond the Indian market through SIPs in MFs is a prudent move. It reflects your forward-thinking approach to wealth creation.

Before deciding to sell one of your apartments to invest in the China fund, reflect on the potential risks and rewards. Are you comfortable with the level of exposure to international markets, especially given the current geopolitical climate? Would the sale of the apartment significantly impact your overall financial stability and future plans?

As a Certified Financial Planner, my advice would be to carefully evaluate your investment goals, risk tolerance, and the long-term prospects of the China fund before making any decisions. Your journey towards financial success is a testament to your hard work and resilience. Keep navigating with wisdom and foresight, always prioritizing the well-being of your family.

A portfolio of 10 Crore in next 5 years. Want to start 80-90 k sip in MF but not in Indian market. YOUR ADVISE REQUIRED? Me and my wife jointly monthly income 3lakh per month. By profession I am a PVC flex material trader, my wife is training centre owner. Having two cute nd naughty son 4 yrs and 2 yrs old. Myself Vishal Choubey nd My wife shanti both aged 39 years. Having 5 houses Rental income arround 55k per month collectively. 1 CR term insurance for both of us in case something happens. An lic of 6 Lac going to mature 2026. Till 31st March 2024 PPF Vishal (10L)+ 10(L) shanti. Ujjivan bank 9k share @ 21rs, Mix share 2Lac. Edelweiss greater China 3.1Lacs, Axis China fund 5.2 Lakh, An sip of 49000/- in Nippon Taiwan current investment 7.37 Lakh market value 9.53 lakh, 3k sip in icici tax fund. Idfc tax fund an investment of 70k is now 2.6 Lakh, Many fund got doubled in last 3-4 years Approx 50 lakh MF portfolio. FD 14 Lakh. A land parcel of 1 acre approx 40 Lakh. All the assets are created in last 10yrs. Wish to sell one apartment and invest into China fund your advise required?
Ans: It's evident that you've diligently built a diversified portfolio over the past decade, encompassing various asset classes and investment vehicles. Now, aiming to expand your investment horizon beyond the Indian market through SIPs in mutual funds indicates a forward-thinking approach.

Assessing Current Financial Position:

Your joint monthly income of Rs. 3 lakh, along with rental income from five houses, provides a stable foundation for further investment endeavors. Additionally, having term insurance coverage of Rs. 1 crore ensures financial security for your family in unforeseen circumstances.

Evaluating Investment Portfolio:

Your existing investment portfolio comprises a mix of equity funds, shares, PPF, FDs, and real estate. Notably, your investments in international funds such as Nippon Taiwan and Axis China Fund reflect a willingness to diversify geographically.

Considering Selling Apartment to Invest in China Fund:

Selling one apartment to invest in a China-focused fund is a strategic decision that warrants careful consideration. Before proceeding, assess the potential impact on your overall asset allocation, risk profile, and liquidity needs.

Benefits of Investing in International Markets:

Investing in international markets offers diversification benefits, reducing portfolio risk associated with domestic market fluctuations. Exposure to rapidly growing economies like China can potentially enhance portfolio returns over the long term.

Risks and Considerations:

However, investing in international markets entails currency risk, geopolitical factors, and regulatory uncertainties specific to the target country. Conduct thorough research and consult with a Certified Financial Planner to evaluate these risks and determine suitability.

SIP Allocation and Fund Selection:

Allocating Rs. 80-90,000 monthly SIP towards international funds aligns with your goal of expanding investment horizons. Consider diversified international funds with exposure to developed and emerging markets, ensuring a balanced risk-return profile.

Review and Rebalance:

Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure alignment with financial goals and risk tolerance. Rebalance asset allocation periodically to maintain diversification and optimize returns.

Conclusion:

Your proactive approach towards financial planning and willingness to explore international investment opportunities is commendable. Before selling the apartment, assess the potential impact on your overall portfolio and consult with a Certified Financial Planner for personalized advice tailored to your objectives.

Sir, I am a software employee currently earning 25L per annuam i have started invested in mutual funds, invested around 15L lumpsum in different funds such as 4.5L debt 10.5L in Equity (3.5L Large, 3L Midcap, 2L Smallcap, 2L Flexicap) if I have STP of 20K per month from ICICI Debt fund to ICICI Bluechip, and another STP from ICICI Bluechip to ICICI Debt fund, will I be able to overcome or avoid tax when I withdraw my money to buy a house after 15 years of 2 crores? assume if the gains are less than 1 lakh per annum will it apply to other fund manager as well as I have invested in different funds as well like ICICI, TATA, SBI?
Ans: Firstly, it’s impressive to see your well-structured investment approach. You’ve diversified your mutual funds across debt and equity, which is excellent for managing risk and optimizing returns. Investing Rs 15 lakhs with a mix of Rs 4.5 lakhs in debt and Rs 10.5 lakhs in various equity funds shows thoughtful planning. Your Systematic Transfer Plan (STP) strategy indicates a keen interest in maximizing returns while managing risks.

You asked about the tax implications and the effectiveness of your STP strategy for your goal of buying a house worth Rs 2 crores in 15 years. Let's break this down into manageable sections.

Systematic Transfer Plan (STP) Strategy
How STP Works
An STP allows you to transfer a fixed amount from one mutual fund to another at regular intervals. This is often used to move funds from a debt fund to an equity fund or vice versa. The primary benefits include:

Rupee Cost Averaging: Helps mitigate market volatility by averaging the purchase cost over time.
Regular Income Stream: Useful for systematic withdrawals in retirement.
Tax Efficiency: Potential to manage capital gains taxation more effectively.
Your Current STP Setup
You have set up an STP of Rs 20,000 per month from an ICICI Debt Fund to an ICICI Bluechip Fund and another STP from ICICI Bluechip Fund to ICICI Debt Fund. This strategy suggests a dynamic approach to managing your investments, aiming to balance risk and return.

Tax Implications
Capital Gains Tax on Mutual Funds
Equity Funds: Long-term capital gains (LTCG) on equity funds are taxed at 10% if the gains exceed Rs 1 lakh per annum. Short-term capital gains (STCG) are taxed at 15%.

Debt Funds: Long-term gains (after 3 years) are taxed at 20% with indexation benefits. Short-term gains are added to your income and taxed as per your slab rate.

Using STP for Tax Efficiency
Your strategy to transfer funds between debt and equity aims to minimize tax liabilities. Here's how:

Minimize Large Lump Sum Withdrawals: By transferring smaller amounts periodically, you can ensure that any capital gains realized in a financial year stay below the Rs 1 lakh threshold, thus avoiding LTCG tax on equity funds.
Utilize STCG/LTCG Efficiently: Regular transfers can help manage the timing of gains, potentially using annual exemptions effectively.
Applicability to Other Funds
The tax principles apply universally across all mutual fund schemes, irrespective of the fund house (ICICI, TATA, SBI, etc.). However, the effectiveness of your strategy can vary based on individual fund performance and market conditions.

Building a Rs 2 Crore Corpus
Assessing Your Current Portfolio
Equity Investments: Rs 10.5 lakhs divided into large-cap (Rs 3.5 lakhs), mid-cap (Rs 3 lakhs), small-cap (Rs 2 lakhs), and flexi-cap (Rs 2 lakhs). Equity investments typically offer higher returns over the long term but come with higher volatility.
Debt Investments: Rs 4.5 lakhs in debt funds provide stability and lower but more predictable returns.
Growth Potential
Given the long-term horizon of 15 years, your equity investments are likely to experience substantial growth, thanks to the power of compounding. However, market fluctuations can impact short-term returns, so it's important to stay invested and not react to market volatility.

Power of Compounding
Compounding is a powerful tool in wealth creation. Reinvesting earnings leads to exponential growth over time. The longer the investment period, the more pronounced the effects of compounding, especially in equity funds. Staying invested for 15 years allows your money to grow significantly.

Rebalancing and Monitoring
Importance of Rebalancing
Rebalancing your portfolio periodically ensures that your asset allocation remains aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance. Over time, market movements can shift your original allocation, potentially increasing risk.

When to Rebalance
Consider rebalancing:

Annually: Review your portfolio once a year to ensure it aligns with your goals.
Market Movements: Significant market movements can alter your asset allocation.
Life Events: Changes in financial goals or life circumstances might necessitate rebalancing.
Monitoring Performance
Regularly review the performance of your mutual funds. Assess if they are meeting your expectations and adjust your strategy if necessary. It’s essential to stay informed and proactive in managing your investments.

Mutual Fund Categories and Benefits
Equity funds invest in stocks and aim for high returns. They are suitable for long-term goals due to their growth potential.

Large-cap Funds: Invest in well-established companies. Lower risk compared to mid and small-cap funds.
Mid-cap Funds: Invest in medium-sized companies. Higher growth potential but also higher risk.
Small-cap Funds: Invest in smaller companies. Highest growth potential but also the highest risk.
Flexi-cap Funds: Invest across different market capitalizations. Offer diversification and flexibility.
Debt funds invest in fixed-income securities like bonds and government securities. They offer stability and regular income.

Liquid Funds: Invest in short-term instruments. Suitable for emergency funds.
Short-term and Long-term Debt Funds: Based on the duration of investment, offering predictable returns.
Hybrid Mutual Funds
Hybrid funds invest in both equity and debt instruments, offering a balanced approach. They aim to provide growth potential along with stability.

Advantages of Mutual Funds
Professional Management: Managed by experienced fund managers who make investment decisions on your behalf.
Diversification: Reduces risk by investing in a wide range of securities.
Liquidity: Easy to buy and sell, providing flexibility.
Systematic Investment and Withdrawal Plans: Offers the flexibility to invest or withdraw regularly.
Risks of Mutual Funds
Market Risk: Equity funds are subject to market volatility.
Interest Rate Risk: Debt funds are affected by changes in interest rates.
Credit Risk: Risk of default in debt instruments.
Disadvantages of Index and Direct Funds
Index Funds
Passive Management: Follow a benchmark index. May not outperform the market.
Lack of Flexibility: Cannot take advantage of market opportunities.
Lower Returns: Actively managed funds can outperform index funds during volatile markets.
Direct Funds
Requires Expertise: Need significant market knowledge and constant monitoring.
Time-Consuming: Managing direct investments can be time-consuming.
Higher Risk: Without professional guidance, the risk of making poor investment choices increases.
Your STP strategy from debt to equity and vice versa is thoughtful. It aims to manage risk, optimize returns, and minimize tax liabilities. To achieve your goal of buying a Rs 2 crore house in 15 years, consider the following:

Stay Invested: Long-term investment in equity funds can yield substantial growth due to compounding.
Monitor and Rebalance: Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio to stay aligned with your goals.
Utilize Tax Efficiency: Use STPs effectively to manage capital gains and tax liabilities.
Seek Professional Guidance: A Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized advice and help you navigate your investment journey.

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Jul 12, 2024

Hello sir my name is Santu Chakraborty.I am 34 year old now unmarried. My qualification is Bsc botany honours with 2nd class +diploma in mechanical engineering with distinction +btech in mechanical engineering from government engineering college west Bengal with 7.5 dgpa.I have 6 years of teaching experience in private diploma engineering college and now I working as a vocational teacher in automobile engineering department in gov high school.In my early phase of life I am going through lots of Misguide,seveare Anxiety issue. Nobody can help me on that phase.I recover mostly by my own after various dillema.I want to work in mechanical r and d company, Mechanical design basis company and also upgrade my teaching carrier. How can I start my journey at this age ?what is the risk factor also? Please tell me. I am very enthusiastic dedicated person. I have no guide in my home. My father is vegetable seller.
Ans: Hi Santu Chakraborty,

This is a really exhaustive query.

The journey thru' your acquisition of qualifications has been vast!

In the course of your life you are now suffering from SNIOP (SUSCEPTIBLE NEGATIVE INFLUENCE OTHER PEOPLE) this happens when you let others control your life.

I have this poem.. Especially for one's like you!

The Guy in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.
You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

Dale Wimbrow (c) 1934

Get the enthusiasm going, don't get embroiled in what life has been before!

Take a stranglehold of your life and make it BIG!

The opportunities are.. Miracles waiting to happen, what are you waiting for.. You are the catalyst!?
Maxim Emmanuel.

Pick up yourself don't be a victim of self pity.

If you do need further professional advice happy to assist
https://m.me/maxim.emmanuel.2024