Anil

Anil Rego  |346 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Aug 27, 2021

Anil Rego is the founder of Right Horizons, a financial and wealth management firm. He has 20 years of experience in the field of personal finance.
He’s an expert in income tax and wealth management.
Ashok Question by Ashok on Aug 27, 2021Hindi

I am 62 years old. I have following income for F/Y 2020-21

Pension: Rs 8.08 lakhs

FD interest: Rs 2.28 lakhs

MF dividend: Rs 1.33 lakhs

Shares dividend: Rs 31,000

Shares STCG: Rs 2.88 lakhs

Shares LTCG: Rs 0.62 lakhs

Sir, what will be my tax liability? Investment (80C , 80D, 80 CCB) rebate, TDS I will adjust. I want to know whether still some tax is to be paid.

Ans: Currently, your taxable income without deduction comes to Rs 12 lakhs. Shares STCG and LTCG is not added to the income. These are separately taxed.

After deductions, the taxable income would be Rs 10 lakhs (if 80C and 80D is fully claimed. 80CCB comes under 80C).

In this case, you still have to pay tax. Your tax liability would be around Rs 1.1 lakhs.

Sir, I am a retired Air Force veteran aged 59 yrs. My annual pension for FY 2023- 24 is 8 lakhs, out of which i have ppf subscription of 1.5 lakhs, mutual fund sip annually of 1.56 lakhs. I pay home rent also @ Rs 16000 per month from my pension. I have a TDS from pension amounting to Rs 40000/- in 2023 - 24. This year due to maturity of KVP I have income from other sources of Rs 4.1+ 40000+ 50000= Rs 5 lakhs. I already have paid 40000 as TDS, am paying 40000/- as advanced tax by 26 Mar 24. How much extra will be my tax liability for 2023-24? How can i save tax, please advice as i have no home loan, no health insurance etc.
Ans: Firstly, let me express my gratitude for your service to the nation as a retired Air Force veteran. Your dedication and sacrifice are truly commendable.

Evaluating Your Tax Liability
Pension Income and PPF Subscription
Your annual pension of 8 lakhs for FY 2023-24 is a significant source of income, subject to taxation.
The PPF subscription of 1.5 lakhs qualifies for deduction under Section 80C, reducing your taxable income.
Mutual Fund SIP and Other Sources of Income
The annual mutual fund SIP of 1.56 lakhs contributes to your investment portfolio but does not offer tax benefits.
Income from other sources, including the maturity of KVP and TDS, adds to your total taxable income.
Rent Payment and TDS
Paying home rent from your pension reduces your taxable income but does not qualify for tax deductions.
TDS from your pension and advanced tax payments are essential for compliance but may increase your tax liability.
Estimating Additional Tax Liability
Calculating Taxable Income
Deducting allowable exemptions and deductions from your total income will determine your taxable income.
Your tax liability will depend on the applicable tax slab rates for FY 2023-24.
Considering Tax Deductions
Exploring additional tax-saving avenues like Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS), Tax-saving Fixed Deposits (FDs), or National Pension System (NPS) contributions can help reduce your tax liability.
Tax-Saving Strategies
Leveraging Senior Citizen Benefits
As a senior citizen, you may benefit from higher tax exemption limits and additional tax-saving opportunities.
Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS) and Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) offer attractive interest rates and tax benefits.
Maximizing Section 80C Deductions
Utilize the full potential of Section 80C deductions by exploring eligible investments such as Tax-saving FDs, SCSS, and Equity Linked Savings Schemes (ELSS).
Assessing Health Insurance Benefits
While you mentioned no health insurance currently, consider investing in health insurance plans to avail tax benefits under Section 80D.
In summary, optimizing your tax planning strategy requires careful consideration of available deductions and investments aligned with your financial goals. By exploring tax-saving avenues like SCSS, Tax-saving FDs, and health insurance, you can effectively reduce your tax liability while securing your financial future.