suthakar Question by suthakar on May 03, 2024Hindi

Dear Sir, I am 44 yrs old with wife and 2 kids of age 9&11.I have been investing my money into the following sectors over the last few years back. 1.LIC and SBI money back policies of 8.5L and will be mature in 2034. 2.Life cover for self of 50L has to pay till 2047 annually of 20K. 3.Max life ULIP plan SA 6L mature in 2031. 4.Family floater Health I surance of 5L 4.HDFC life click 2I combo plan invest of 9L 5.SSA till date for both children 1L each 5.SIP of 20K since last 4.5yrs monthly 6.SIP lumpsum of 1L invested in Axis medium cap fund invested 4yrs back My question is to secure my child education and retirement life after 55 yrs , corpus should be 2 Crore what else I have to do

Ans: It's commendable that you've been diligently planning for your family's future. Your commitment to securing your children's education and ensuring a comfortable retirement is truly admirable.

Considering your current investments, it's essential to evaluate if they align with your long-term goals. While your existing plans offer some protection and potential growth, diversifying your portfolio could provide added stability and growth potential. Have you explored avenues beyond traditional insurance policies and mutual funds?

Certified Financial Planners can offer personalized strategies tailored to your aspirations and risk tolerance. They can suggest options that balance growth potential with risk mitigation, guiding you towards achieving your desired corpus. Have you considered consulting one to fine-tune your financial roadmap?

Remember, the journey to financial security is not just about numbers—it's about ensuring peace of mind and enabling your loved ones to pursue their dreams. By proactively seeking guidance and exploring diverse investment avenues, you're laying a robust foundation for a fulfilling future. Keep nurturing your financial garden, and the seeds you sow today will bloom into a prosperous tomorrow.

Sir, I am 43 years old living in UAE, with FD of 10L and current MF accumulation of 1.04 Cr and monthly SIP 50K along. I have a 2BHK apartment in Chennai which yields a rent of 8000 Rs and a 3-bedroom house inherited from my parents as gift where we live currently. Along with this we have 2400 Sq ft of land in Chennai and 3000 Sq ft of land in Madurai. I am contributing 69K yearly for the last 11 years in my name until 2035 (expected returns 30Lakhs), 28K yearly in my daughter’s name until 2034 (expected returns 10Lakhs). Addition to this i have icici pru gift long terms with annual payment of 2L Rs on my name (to pay for another 10 years and the return of 16K per month) icici future perfect 1L Rs (to pay for another 10 years). Will receive a sum of 5L Rs from a LIC policy which is getting matured this year and a Term policy of 2 Cr for which I must pay 47K annually and it must be paid for another 22 years and 20 Lakhs worth of gold. I wish to invest in stocks in the next 7 years with an average risk and stop SIP at the age of 50. I have a 9th grade daughter who wishes to pursue Medicine and a son who is in grade 2. I wish to retire at the age of 50 (7 years from now) and start consulting. Could you please guide me how much corpus I should create in the next 7 years to live a normal lifestyle and ensure to pay the balance ICICI investments and my daughters’ education regards Raj
Ans: Current Financial Situation
Raj, you have done a commendable job in managing your finances and building a diversified portfolio. Let's assess your current financial landscape.

Fixed Deposits and Mutual Funds
You have a fixed deposit (FD) of Rs 10 lakhs and a mutual fund (MF) portfolio worth Rs 1.04 crore. You also contribute Rs 50,000 monthly to SIPs. This shows a disciplined approach towards long-term wealth creation.

Real Estate Holdings
You own a 2BHK apartment in Chennai, which generates a rental income of Rs 8,000 per month, and a 3-bedroom house inherited from your parents. Additionally, you possess 2400 sq ft of land in Chennai and 3000 sq ft of land in Madurai.

Insurance and Investments
You have various insurance and investment plans:

Annual contribution of Rs 69,000 for yourself until 2035 (expected returns Rs 30 lakhs).
Annual contribution of Rs 28,000 for your daughter until 2034 (expected returns Rs 10 lakhs).
ICICI Pru Gift Long Term with an annual payment of Rs 2 lakhs, yielding Rs 16,000 monthly after maturity.
ICICI Future Perfect with an annual payment of Rs 1 lakh for another 10 years.
LIC policy maturing this year with a sum assured of Rs 5 lakhs.
Term policy with a cover of Rs 2 crore, annual premium Rs 47,000 for the next 22 years.
Gold worth Rs 20 lakhs.
Family Commitments
Your daughter, currently in 9th grade, aspires to pursue medicine. Your son is in grade 2. You plan to retire at 50 and transition into consulting.

Financial Goals
To ensure a smooth transition into retirement and meet your financial obligations, let's break down your goals:

Retirement Corpus
Daughter's Education
Continuation of Investments
Living Expenses Post-Retirement
Retirement Corpus
You plan to retire in 7 years. To maintain a comfortable lifestyle post-retirement, you need to determine a retirement corpus. This corpus should cover your monthly expenses, healthcare, and unforeseen emergencies.

Daughter's Education
Medical education is expensive. It is crucial to allocate sufficient funds for your daughter's medical education to avoid financial stress later.

Continuation of Investments
You have ongoing investments that require continued funding. Ensuring these are adequately funded until their maturity is essential for maximizing returns.

Living Expenses Post-Retirement
Post-retirement, you will require a steady income to cover living expenses. Your rental income, SIP returns, and maturity proceeds from insurance plans will contribute to this.

Strategy to Achieve Financial Goals
To meet your financial goals efficiently, consider the following strategies:

Increase SIP Contributions
Currently, you invest Rs 50,000 monthly in SIPs. Increasing this amount will help accumulate a larger corpus. Given your current financial stability, consider increasing your SIP contributions by 10-15% annually. This will compound your wealth significantly over the next 7 years.

Diversify Mutual Fund Investments
Review your mutual fund portfolio and diversify across various sectors and market caps. Actively managed funds tend to outperform index funds in the long run due to professional fund management and active stock selection. This can provide better returns and reduce risks.

Surrender Low-Yield Insurance Policies
Your LIC policy maturing this year will yield Rs 5 lakhs. Reinvest this amount in mutual funds for better returns. Assess the ICICI Pru Gift Long Term and ICICI Future Perfect plans. If they are not performing well, consider surrendering them and reinvesting in higher-yield mutual funds. This can maximize returns and provide better growth opportunities for your investments.

Plan for Daughter's Education
Estimate the total cost of your daughter's medical education, including tuition fees, living expenses, and other costs. Create a dedicated education fund using a mix of debt and equity mutual funds. This will ensure safety and growth of the corpus.

Utilize Gold Holdings
Your gold holdings worth Rs 20 lakhs can be a valuable asset. Consider partial liquidation of gold to fund higher-yield investments. Alternatively, keep the gold as a hedge against inflation and as a contingency fund.

Create an Emergency Fund
Ensure you have an emergency fund covering at least 6-12 months of living expenses. This fund should be in a liquid asset class, such as a liquid mutual fund or a high-interest savings account, to access funds readily in case of emergencies.

Investment in Mutual Funds
Instead of investing directly in stocks, mutual funds can provide a balanced approach to achieving your financial goals with moderate risk. Here are the benefits:

Professional Management: Mutual funds are managed by professional fund managers who have the expertise to make informed investment decisions.
Diversification: Mutual funds provide diversification across various sectors and asset classes, reducing overall risk.
Liquidity: Mutual funds offer liquidity, allowing you to redeem your investments as needed.
Tax Efficiency: Equity mutual funds held for more than a year qualify for long-term capital gains tax benefits.
Increase SIP Contributions in Mutual Funds

Diversify Mutual Fund Investments

Corpus Calculation for Retirement
To estimate the corpus required for retirement, consider the following:

Monthly Living Expenses: Calculate your current monthly expenses and account for inflation.
Healthcare Costs: Factor in healthcare costs, which tend to rise with age.
Contingency Fund: Include a contingency fund for unforeseen expenses.
Desired Lifestyle: Consider the lifestyle you wish to maintain post-retirement.
Monthly Living Expenses
Assume your current monthly expenses are Rs 50,000. Accounting for inflation at 6%, these expenses will rise over the next 7 years.

Healthcare Costs
Healthcare costs can be substantial post-retirement. Ensure you have comprehensive health insurance and allocate a part of your corpus towards healthcare.

Contingency Fund
Set aside at least 10% of your retirement corpus for emergencies. This ensures financial security during unforeseen circumstances.

Desired Lifestyle
Factor in any lifestyle changes you wish to make post-retirement, such as travel, hobbies, or relocation.

Raj, your current financial situation is strong, with a diversified portfolio and substantial assets. To ensure a comfortable retirement and meet your financial goals, focus on increasing SIP contributions, diversifying mutual fund investments, and planning adequately for your daughter's education. Reviewing insurance policies and reallocating funds to higher-yield investments will optimize your returns. Investing in mutual funds can provide balanced growth and reduce risk, ensuring financial security post-retirement.

Building a robust retirement corpus requires careful planning and disciplined investing. With the right strategies, you can achieve your financial goals and enjoy a comfortable retirement while ensuring your family's financial security.

Hi sir I am 32 years old, me and my wife earning 2.5 lakhs monthly, our son is 5 month old, Currently I have TATA AIA term insurance(90 lakhs), Star health family floater insurance(20 lakhs ), our investments are as follows 1) Mirre Asset Mutual fund (ELSS) monthly 5k started May 2022 , 2) Icici prudential insurance monthly 10k started Jan 2020 , 3) UTI Nifty 50 Index fund monthly 5k started Sep 2023 , 4) Stocks 4.47 lakhs , 5) Gold bond + physical gold 10lakhs, 6) 2 Sites advance paid 8.6lakhs (sites worth 30 lakhs) , 7) PF 5 lakhs , 8) PPF 50K started April 2024, 9) NPS 50k stared April 2024, 10) ICICI prudential mutual fund ELSS 5K per month started June 2022, 11) Parag Parikh flexi cap fund 5k per month started April 2024, 12) FD 4 lakhs , 13) SBI LIFE smart elite 4 lakhs invested May 2024, We want retire by 45 with corpus of 15 crores please suggest us how much we need to increase our investments to reach our goal. Thanks in advance
Ans: You've made significant strides in your financial journey. Your goals are ambitious yet achievable with the right strategies. Let’s dive into your current financial status and map out a plan to help you retire by 45 with a corpus of Rs 15 crores.

Analyzing Your Current Financial Situation
1. Income and Insurance:

You and your wife have a combined monthly income of Rs 2.5 lakhs. You have a TATA AIA term insurance of Rs 90 lakhs and a Star health family floater insurance of Rs 20 lakhs. This is excellent for providing financial security to your family.

2. Investments:

Mirre Asset Mutual Fund (ELSS): Rs 5,000/month since May 2022.
ICICI Prudential Insurance: Rs 10,000/month since Jan 2020.
UTI Nifty 50 Index Fund: Rs 5,000/month since Sep 2023.
Stocks: Rs 4.47 lakhs.
Gold Bonds + Physical Gold: Rs 10 lakhs.
Sites Advance Paid: Rs 8.6 lakhs for sites worth Rs 30 lakhs.
Provident Fund (PF): Rs 5 lakhs.
Public Provident Fund (PPF): Rs 50,000 since April 2024.
National Pension System (NPS): Rs 50,000 since April 2024.
ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund (ELSS): Rs 5,000/month since June 2022.
Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund: Rs 5,000/month since April 2024.
Fixed Deposit (FD): Rs 4 lakhs.
SBI Life Smart Elite: Rs 4 lakhs invested in May 2024.
Evaluating Your Investments
Mutual Funds and ELSS:

You are investing in multiple mutual funds, including ELSS, which offers tax benefits. This is a smart move for long-term growth and tax savings. However, ensure you periodically review their performance.

Insurance Policies:

Your ICICI Prudential insurance and SBI Life Smart Elite appear to be investment-cum-insurance plans. These often come with higher costs and lower returns compared to pure term insurance and mutual funds. It might be beneficial to reconsider these policies.

Index Funds:

Index funds like UTI Nifty 50 are good for passive investing but have certain disadvantages, such as lower returns compared to actively managed funds, especially in volatile markets.

Direct Stocks:

Investing in stocks is a great way to potentially earn higher returns, but it requires careful monitoring and expertise.

Gold Investments:

Gold is a good hedge against inflation but typically offers lower returns compared to equities over the long term.

Real Estate:

You've invested in sites, which is a substantial amount. Real estate can be a good investment but isn't always liquid and can be challenging to manage.

Provident Fund and NPS:

These are solid options for retirement savings, offering decent returns with tax benefits.

Fixed Deposits:

FDs provide safety but lower returns. Consider if they align with your long-term growth goals.

Enhancing Your Investment Strategy
1. Increase Your SIP Contributions:

Given your goal to accumulate Rs 15 crores, you need to increase your SIP contributions. Assuming a reasonable return on mutual funds, you may need to invest more aggressively. Consider increasing your contributions to high-performing mutual funds, focusing on those managed by experienced fund managers.

2. Review and Reallocate Insurance-cum-Investment Policies:

The ICICI Prudential insurance and SBI Life Smart Elite plans could be reconsidered. You might want to surrender these policies and redirect the funds into high-growth mutual funds. Pure term insurance paired with mutual funds often yields better returns.

3. Focus on Actively Managed Funds:

Actively managed funds can outperform index funds due to the expertise of fund managers. Although they come with higher fees, the potential for higher returns can justify the costs.

4. Maintain Adequate Emergency Fund:

Ensure your FD or other liquid investments are sufficient to cover at least six months of expenses. This is crucial for financial security.

5. Maximize Tax-Advantaged Investments:

Max out contributions to PPF and NPS for tax benefits and steady returns. These are excellent for long-term savings with added tax incentives.

6. Monitor and Review Investments Regularly:

Regularly reviewing your portfolio is essential. Adjust your investments based on market conditions and personal goals.

Strategic Investment Recommendations
1. Diversify Across Asset Classes:

While you have a good mix of equities, gold, and real estate, consider more diversification within equities through different sectors and market caps.

2. Enhance Your Equity Exposure:

Given your long-term horizon, increase your equity exposure. Equities generally offer the highest returns over long periods.

3. Consolidate Your Portfolio:

Avoid over-diversification. Focus on a few high-performing funds rather than spreading investments too thin. This can simplify management and improve returns.

4. Professional Guidance:

Consult a Certified Financial Planner for personalized advice. They can help tailor a plan specific to your financial goals and risk appetite.

Building a Robust Financial Plan
1. Set Clear Milestones:

Break down your Rs 15 crore goal into smaller milestones. Track your progress and adjust your strategy as needed.

2. Budget and Save Aggressively:

Ensure a disciplined approach to saving. Allocate a significant portion of your income towards investments.

3. Education and Awareness:

Stay informed about market trends and financial products. Financial literacy is crucial for making informed decisions.

4. Plan for Inflation:

Account for inflation in your planning. Ensure your investments grow at a rate higher than inflation to preserve purchasing power.

You’ve laid a strong foundation for your financial future. With disciplined investing and strategic planning, reaching your goal of Rs 15 crores by 45 is within reach. Prioritize increasing your SIP contributions, reconsidering high-cost insurance plans, and focusing on high-growth investment options. Regular reviews and professional guidance will keep you on track.

Hello Sir, I am 45 yrs , 2 boy kids age 14 and 8 years and old age parents with me . I am working in sales and marketing Overseas West African market within the pharmaceuticals industry. I have my own home of 1500 sq feet gross value in Nagpur 75 lac . I have did mutual fund investment of 4 lac in December 2023 ( one time investment ) , regular SIP 30,000 per month from last 2 years and more planning to invest 30,0000 per month from July 2024 .I had taken TATA AIA Ulip plan 1.5 Lac per annum for 5 years (dec 2022 . finished 2 years ) . Present FD @ 7% 10 lac with HDFC Bank. Around purchase 14 lac in Gold bars . Planning to take the Term plan for age 85 years premium annual 1.75Lac pee annum for next 10 years for risk cover 2 Cr . Monthly LIC policy going on 80,000 per annum from 15 years . I am planning my retirement in the age of 55 years to take care 100+ personally for my kids , Please suggest more best financial plans
Ans: It's great to see your proactive approach towards planning your future. Let's delve into your financial situation and explore ways to optimize your investments to achieve your goals. Here’s a detailed analysis and some tailored advice for you:

Current Financial Position
Age: 45 years
Children: 2 boys (14 and 8 years)
Parents: Old age and dependent
Profession: Sales and Marketing in West Africa for the pharmaceutical industry
Home: Own house in Nagpur, 1500 sq. ft., valued at Rs 75 lakhs

Mutual Fund Investment: Rs 4 lakhs (one-time in Dec 2023), SIP of Rs 30,000/month for 2 years, and planning to increase SIP to Rs 30,000 from July 2024

ULIP Plan: TATA AIA, Rs 1.5 lakhs/year, started in Dec 2022 (completed 2 years)

Fixed Deposit: Rs 10 lakhs with HDFC Bank at 7%

Gold Investment: Rs 14 lakhs in gold bars

Insurance: Planning a term plan of Rs 2 crores, premium Rs 1.75 lakhs/year for the next 10 years

LIC Policy: Rs 80,000/year, ongoing for 15 years

Retirement Goal: Planning to retire at 55 to care for kids and parents

You’ve made significant strides in securing your family’s future with thoughtful investments. Your proactive steps towards retirement and your dedication to your family’s well-being are commendable.

Mutual Funds: An Overview
Mutual funds are a great way to grow your wealth over time. They offer diversification, professional management, and the power of compounding. Let's break down the categories and advantages:

Equity Funds: These invest in stocks and are ideal for long-term growth. They can be categorized into large-cap, mid-cap, small-cap, and sector funds.
Debt Funds: These invest in fixed income securities like bonds. They are less risky than equity funds and provide regular income.
Hybrid Funds: These combine both equity and debt investments to balance risk and return.
Advantages: Professional management, diversification, liquidity, and potential for higher returns compared to traditional savings methods.

Current Investments Analysis
Your current investments show a balanced approach, but there’s room for optimization:

Your mutual fund investments are on the right track. Increasing your SIP to Rs 30,000/month is a good move. Here’s why actively managed funds might be better:

Professional Management: Actively managed funds are handled by experts who aim to outperform the market.
Flexibility: They can adjust portfolios based on market conditions.
Potential for Higher Returns: Although not guaranteed, they have the potential to deliver better returns than index funds.
ULIP Plan
ULIPs often combine insurance and investment, which might not always be the best. They have high charges and often underperform compared to mutual funds. You might want to reconsider this investment.

Fixed Deposit
FDs are safe but offer lower returns compared to other options. With 7% interest, it's relatively decent but won't beat inflation in the long run. Consider diversifying into more growth-oriented investments.

Gold Investment
Gold is a good hedge against inflation and currency risk. However, it doesn't generate regular income. It should remain a small part of your overall portfolio.

Suggested Financial Plans
Increase SIP Investments
You are already planning to increase your SIP. Ensure you diversify across various types of funds:

Large Cap Funds: Stable and less volatile.
Mid Cap and Small Cap Funds: Higher risk but potentially higher returns.
Debt Funds: To balance risk and provide stability.
Flexi Cap Funds: Offer flexibility to invest across market caps.
Re-evaluate ULIP
Consider surrendering your ULIP after understanding the surrender charges and reinvesting the amount into mutual funds for better returns.

Optimize Fixed Deposits
Since FDs offer lower returns, consider reducing the amount in FDs and reallocating to debt mutual funds, which can offer better post-tax returns.

Term Insurance
Your plan for a term insurance of Rs 2 crores is a prudent decision. It provides a high cover at a low cost, ensuring your family's financial security.

LIC Policy
Traditional LIC policies often have lower returns compared to mutual funds. If possible, assess the surrender value and consider reinvesting in more efficient financial instruments.

You aim to retire at 55. Here are steps to ensure you achieve a comfortable retirement:

Estimate your retirement expenses considering inflation. You’ll need a substantial corpus to generate the desired monthly income.

Diversified Portfolio
Maintain a balanced portfolio with a mix of equity, debt, and gold to ensure growth and stability.

Regular Review
Review your investments periodically with a Certified Financial Planner to stay on track.

Children's Education Planning
Your children’s education is a significant future expense. Start a dedicated investment plan:

Child Education Funds
Invest in equity mutual funds to build a corpus for their higher education.

Education Insurance Plans
These plans can be considered for their dual benefit of insurance and savings for education.

Contingency Fund
Maintain an emergency fund to cover at least 6-12 months of expenses. This ensures you are prepared for any unforeseen events.

Estate Planning
Plan for the distribution of your assets. Create a will to ensure your assets are passed on as per your wishes.

Your current financial strategy is commendable, but optimizing your investments can help achieve your goals more efficiently. Regularly review and adjust your plan with a Certified Financial Planner to stay aligned with your objectives.

I am 40-year-old Software Engineer with 1.9L pm in hand salary with 2 daughters, elder one is in 8th standard and younger in 2nd. WIfe is not working. Let me first tell you about my saving and investment: 1. I have loan free 3BHK flat in Noida and also a car.. No current EMI liability. 2. Around 32L in PF and counting.. 3. Around 23L in PPF (wife and own account) and counting.. 4. Around 14.5L in Sukanya for both the kids and counting... 5. Around 22.5L in FD 6. Around 16L in MF, share, Gold bond and counting.. 7. Last year only started investing in NPS, fund value is around 1.5L and counting.. 8. I have company provided health insurance only and personal term plan for 60L I am doing monthly investment of 50K in PF+Sukanya, 30K in MF , 20k in Share and 10% of basic in NPS. I have to ask: 1. Am I doing right investment considering needed funds for elder daughter's higher education (in 4 yrs from now) and then for marriage? 2. Am I saving wisely and enough month-on-month basis? 3. How to reach 5cr corpus by the age of 50? and is it enough if wanted to retire? 4. What else I need to do to save more and increase my portfolio? I have less risk appetite. Please suggest
Ans: Firstly, it’s impressive to see your disciplined approach towards saving and investing. Having a clear financial plan and taking proactive steps shows great financial acumen. Let’s evaluate your current financial status and provide suggestions to reach your goals.

You have a stable financial foundation with no loan liabilities, a solid mix of investments, and a focus on future goals. Your current assets and monthly investments are commendable.

Here’s a detailed analysis and suggestions tailored to your needs:

Analysis of Current Investments
Provident Fund (PF)
You have Rs 32 lakh in PF, which is a substantial amount. PF offers a stable and relatively safe return. It is a great way to secure your retirement.

With Rs 23 lakh in PPF, you are benefiting from tax-free returns and a safe investment vehicle. PPF is ideal for long-term goals like retirement due to its 15-year lock-in period.

Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY)
Investing Rs 14.5 lakh in Sukanya Samriddhi for your daughters is a wise decision. It offers good interest rates and tax benefits. This will help in funding their education and marriage.

Fixed Deposits (FD)
You have Rs 22.5 lakh in FDs. While FDs are safe, the returns are generally lower compared to other investment options. It's a good idea to keep some funds in FDs for emergencies, but diversifying might yield better returns.

Mutual Funds, Shares, and Gold Bonds
You have Rs 16 lakh invested in a mix of mutual funds, shares, and gold bonds. Diversification here is beneficial as it balances risk and returns. Continue this approach but review the performance regularly.

Starting with Rs 1.5 lakh in NPS is good for building a retirement corpus. NPS offers tax benefits and the potential for higher returns due to its market-linked nature.

Insurance
You have a Rs 60 lakh term plan which is essential for your family’s security. However, consider increasing the coverage based on your family’s future financial needs.

Monthly Investment Analysis
You are investing Rs 50,000 in PF and Sukanya, Rs 30,000 in mutual funds, Rs 20,000 in shares, and 10% of your basic salary in NPS. This diversified approach is commendable, but let’s delve deeper into each aspect.

Evaluating Your Investment Strategy
Higher Education and Marriage of Elder Daughter
Your elder daughter’s higher education is a priority. With four years to go, you need to ensure sufficient funds. Sukanya Samriddhi and other investments should be assessed to meet this goal.

Monthly Savings Assessment
You are saving a significant amount monthly, which is excellent. However, it’s essential to ensure these savings align with your goals and risk tolerance.

Building a Rs 5 Crore Corpus by Age 50
Reaching a Rs 5 crore corpus in ten years requires strategic planning. Your current investments and returns need to be evaluated and optimized.

Suggestions to Enhance Your Financial Portfolio
Relying solely on company-provided health insurance may not be sufficient. Consider purchasing a comprehensive personal health insurance plan. This ensures coverage even if you change jobs.

Increasing Term Insurance
Reevaluate your term insurance. Based on your current lifestyle and future needs, a higher coverage might be necessary.

Reviewing Mutual Fund Investments
Actively managed mutual funds can potentially yield higher returns compared to index funds. Ensure your mutual funds are well-chosen and periodically review their performance.

Share Investments
With a lower risk appetite, consider limiting direct investments in shares. Actively managed equity funds can offer exposure to equity markets with professional management.

Gold Bonds
Gold bonds are a good hedge against inflation. Continue investing but ensure it aligns with your overall asset allocation strategy.

NPS Contributions
Increasing your NPS contributions can be beneficial. It offers a mix of equity, corporate bonds, and government securities, balancing growth and safety.

Detailed Action Plan for Financial Goals
Higher Education for Daughter
Estimate the total cost of higher education, considering inflation. Review your current investments in Sukanya Samriddhi and other savings to ensure they meet this goal. If needed, redirect some investments towards education-focused funds or fixed-income securities.

To achieve a Rs 5 crore corpus by age 50:

Increase your investments in high-growth potential assets, such as actively managed equity funds.
Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio to stay on track with your goals.
Consider professional advice from a Certified Financial Planner for tailored strategies.
Maintain an emergency fund to cover at least six months of expenses. This should be in a liquid and safe investment like a savings account or short-term FD.

Enhancing Your Investment Portfolio
Avoiding Direct Funds
Direct mutual funds require active management and market knowledge. Regular funds, managed by professionals, can provide better returns with less effort on your part.

Diversifying Further
While you have a diversified portfolio, consider further diversification to mitigate risks. Explore options like balanced advantage funds which adjust between equity and debt based on market conditions.

Continue and potentially increase your SIP in mutual funds. This disciplined approach helps in averaging out market volatility and building wealth over time.

Efficient tax planning can enhance your returns. Utilize tax-saving instruments under Section 80C, 80D, and 80CCD. This reduces tax liability and increases investable surplus.

Regular Review and Adjustment
Portfolio Review
Conduct a bi-annual review of your portfolio. Ensure your investments align with your financial goals and risk tolerance.

Adjusting Strategy
Based on market conditions and personal circumstances, be ready to adjust your investment strategy. This proactive approach helps in optimizing returns and minimizing risks.

You have a strong financial foundation and a disciplined approach towards saving and investing. By fine-tuning your strategy and focusing on your financial goals, you can achieve your targets.

Ensure adequate health and life insurance coverage for family security. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio to stay aligned with your goals.

Seek guidance from a Certified Financial Planner for personalized advice and strategies.

Your commitment to securing your family’s future is commendable. With careful planning and strategic investments, you can achieve your financial goals.

Sir I 47 year old and am earning 3 lakhs per month. My monthly expenditure is 2 lakhs. I have the following assets: 1. 3 houses with outstanding loan amount of 8 lakhs. Net worth : 3 crores 2. 1.5 crore in Equity and Mutual Funds 3. 1 crore in ppf. 4. Have a term insurance of 2 crore till my age of 75. 5. 10 lakhs liquid cash for emergency funds. 6. 20 lakhs - for child benefit plans I am currently invested in following Mutual Funds a. UTI ELSS Tax Saver Fund - IDCW - 15000 b. ICICI prudential nifty next 50 index fund - growth - 10000 c. Axis foccused fund - growth - 10000 My wife is also working and she is invested in 75k in mutual funds and we plan to use it for our daughter's future. She has built a corpus of 55 lakhs till now and she plans to continue to work for another 8 years. Requesting your kind advise on how to go about the following: I am ready to invest in another 40k in mutual funds. My goals are the following: 1. Set up corpus for my son's higher education in 5 years time. Want to have 1.5 crore setup for him for his higher studies. 2. Plan to work for another 8 years and then plan to retire. Need to have 1 lakh per month for expenses post retirement. 3. Currently I and my family are covered by Company medical insurance. I would need a cover post retirement, pls advise on that as well. Thanks
Ans: I appreciate your detailed input. Your financial status is strong, and I can see you've done a great job managing your assets. Let's go through your situation and goals one by one. I'll provide a thorough plan to help you achieve them.

Current Financial Snapshot
You have a solid income of Rs. 3 lakhs per month and manage monthly expenses of Rs. 2 lakhs. This leaves you with a surplus of Rs. 1 lakh every month, which is great for additional investments and savings.

You have the following assets:

Three houses with an outstanding loan amount of Rs. 8 lakhs. The net worth of these properties is Rs. 3 crores.

Equity and Mutual Funds worth Rs. 1.5 crores.

PPF with Rs. 1 crore.

Term insurance of Rs. 2 crores till age 75.

Liquid cash of Rs. 10 lakhs for emergency funds.

Child benefit plans amounting to Rs. 20 lakhs.

You also have current investments in mutual funds:

UTI ELSS Tax Saver Fund - IDCW - Rs. 15,000

ICICI Prudential Nifty Next 50 Index Fund - Growth - Rs. 10,000

Axis Focused Fund - Growth - Rs. 10,000

Your wife is working and has invested Rs. 75,000 in mutual funds, building a corpus of Rs. 55 lakhs, planning to work for another 8 years.

Setting Up a Corpus for Your Son's Higher Education
Your goal is to set up a corpus of Rs. 1.5 crores for your son's higher education in 5 years. This is a substantial goal, but with disciplined investment, it is achievable.

Steps to Achieve This Goal:

Review Existing Investments: First, evaluate the performance of your current mutual fund investments. Keep the ones that have shown consistent performance.

Additional Investment: Since you can invest another Rs. 40,000 monthly, consider adding to equity mutual funds, which have the potential for higher returns over five years.

Mutual Fund Categories: Invest in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds. Large-cap funds offer stability, while mid-cap and multi-cap funds provide growth potential.

Systematic Investment Plan (SIP): Utilize SIPs for these funds to benefit from rupee cost averaging and compound growth.

Monitor and Rebalance: Regularly monitor your portfolio and rebalance as needed to stay on track with your goal.

Planning for Retirement
You plan to retire in 8 years and need Rs. 1 lakh per month for expenses post-retirement. Here's how you can achieve this:

Steps to Achieve This Goal:

Retirement Corpus: Calculate the corpus required to generate Rs. 1 lakh per month. Assuming a safe withdrawal rate of 4%, you'll need around Rs. 3 crores.

Current Investments: You already have Rs. 1.5 crores in equity and mutual funds and Rs. 1 crore in PPF. Continue investing in these to reach your goal.

Additional Investments: With your monthly surplus and the extra Rs. 40,000, increase your investment in diversified mutual funds.

Equity Exposure: Maintain a good portion of your portfolio in equities for growth. As you near retirement, gradually shift some investments to debt funds for stability.

Medical Insurance: Post-retirement, you will need a comprehensive health cover. Consider a family floater plan with a high sum assured and critical illness cover.

Reviewing and Optimizing Your Portfolio
Let's break down your current mutual fund investments:

UTI ELSS Tax Saver Fund: ELSS funds offer tax benefits under Section 80C. Continue with this investment for tax efficiency.

ICICI Prudential Nifty Next 50 Index Fund: Index funds are passively managed and mirror the index. Consider shifting to actively managed funds for potentially higher returns.

Axis Focused Fund: Focused funds invest in a limited number of stocks. If it has performed well, continue with it. Otherwise, explore diversified funds.

Investing Through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
Advantages of Actively Managed Funds:

Expert Management: Actively managed funds are handled by experienced fund managers aiming to outperform the market.

Flexibility: Fund managers can adjust the portfolio based on market conditions, potentially providing better returns.

Potential for Higher Returns: Though they have higher fees, the potential for higher returns often justifies the cost.

Disadvantages of Direct Funds:

Limited Guidance: Direct funds do not offer the guidance provided by a CFP. This can lead to less informed investment decisions.

Time-Consuming: Managing direct investments requires significant time and knowledge, which might not be feasible for everyone.

Benefits of Regular Funds via CFP:

Professional Advice: A CFP can provide tailored advice based on your financial goals and risk appetite.

Portfolio Management: Regular monitoring and rebalancing of your portfolio to ensure it aligns with your goals.

Setting Up a Medical Insurance Cover Post-Retirement
Steps to Secure Health Insurance:

Family Floater Plan: Choose a family floater plan with a high sum assured to cover major medical expenses.

Critical Illness Cover: Add a critical illness rider to cover diseases like cancer, heart attack, etc.

Top-Up Plans: Consider top-up or super top-up plans to enhance your coverage at a lower premium.

Portability: Check the portability options to transfer your current health cover benefits to a new insurer without losing benefits.

Building a Comprehensive Financial Plan
Holistic Approach:

Emergency Fund: Maintain your Rs. 10 lakhs liquid cash for emergencies. It provides a safety net for unforeseen expenses.

Child Benefit Plans: Evaluate the performance of these plans. If they are underperforming, consider reallocating to better-performing funds.

Loan Repayment: Pay off the outstanding Rs. 8 lakhs on your properties to reduce debt and interest burden.

Regular Review: Conduct regular reviews of your financial plan with a CFP to stay aligned with your goals and make necessary adjustments.

You have a robust financial base and clear goals. By optimizing your current investments, adding to your SIPs, and managing your portfolio with the help of a CFP, you can achieve your goals.

Focus on equity mutual funds for growth, maintain a diversified portfolio, and ensure you have adequate health cover post-retirement.

Keep monitoring and rebalancing your investments to stay on track. With disciplined investment and professional guidance, your financial goals are well within reach.

Dr Nagarajan J S K

Dr Nagarajan J S K   |47 Answers  |Ask -

Health Science and Pharmaceutical Careers Expert - Answered on Jul 20, 2024

Dr Nagarajan J S K

What is better to choose between vet or bpharm (I am a gen category student).According to my research I came to know that in today's market the bpharm graduates are not even considered as reputated pharmacists,after the degree too they get placements of 12k-15k per month only and growth even after a master's is not much. Whereas in vet gov vacancies are open but will everyone get the gov jobs ? Also in coming years what are the demands of these both fields and what is better to choose
Ans: Hi,
It seems there may be some misunderstanding and disappointment regarding the analysis of job opportunities in the pharmaceutical field. It's important to note that the pharmaceutical sector still holds promising prospects. However, it is essential for candidates to acquire in-depth knowledge. Completing a B.Pharm alone does not guarantee comprehensive expertise. It's essential to delve beyond the basic surface-level knowledge obtained during undergraduate studies. I'm unaware of your state of residence and the college where you pursued your B.Pharm.

Key locations with a strong pharmaceutical industry presence include Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, and Ahmedabad. Chennai also has a few reputable pharmaceutical companies, albeit in limited numbers. It's crucial to consider your career choice rather than just a job. What is your preference: IT, Marketing/Sales, or Core Pharma? In IT, the remuneration is considerably higher in comparison to core pharmaceutical roles, but sustainability may be a concern. On the other hand, Sales/Marketing requires hard work but offers significantly better remuneration, e.g., INR 6-8L per annum. If the pharmaceutical industry is your preference, starting packages for fresh B. Pharm graduates typically range between INR 15,000 to 25,000.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. I wish you the best for your future endeavors.