Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Jun 23, 2023

mahesh Question by mahesh on Jun 20, 2023Hindi

Hi, I am working in one of the shipping line MNC, i handling there accounts receivable since past 6 years, before this, i was with airlines company, was handling there account payable profile. though its been 13 years of experince, i am not getting any growth and feeling like i am going no where in career. please guide me what option and suitable courses which will help me in my prifessional growth.

Ans: Hello Mahesh,

I understand that despite your 13 years of experience in handling accounts receivable and accounts payable, you are currently feeling stagnant and seeking guidance on suitable courses and options for professional growth. I can offer you some suggestions to help you progress in your career.

Continuous Learning: In the ever-evolving world of finance and accounting, it is crucial to stay updated with the latest trends, regulations, and technologies. Consider enrolling in courses or pursuing certifications that enhance your knowledge in areas such as financial analysis, risk management, data analytics, or international accounting standards. These will not only expand your skill set but also make you more valuable to your current and future employers.

Specialization: Assess your strengths and interests within the accounting field and consider specializing in a particular area. For example, you could focus on tax accounting, auditing, financial planning and analysis, or managerial accounting. Specializing can help you stand out from the competition and open up new opportunities for career advancement.

Networking and Professional Associations: Engage with professional associations related to accounting and finance, both locally and internationally. Attend conferences, seminars, and networking events to meet professionals in your field and expand your professional network. Building connections can lead to new career prospects, mentorship opportunities, and valuable insights from industry experts.

Seek Internal Opportunities: Explore potential growth opportunities within your current organization. Speak with your supervisors or human resources department about your aspirations for career progression. Express your interest in taking on additional responsibilities, cross-functional projects, or managerial roles. Taking initiative and demonstrating your ambition can lead to internal promotions or transfers to more challenging positions.

Consider Advanced Degrees: Depending on your long-term career goals, you may consider pursuing an advanced degree such as a Master's in Business Administration (MBA), a Master's in Finance, or a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) qualification. These qualifications can enhance your knowledge, provide a broader business perspective, and potentially increase your earning potential.

Personal Development: Besides professional qualifications, do not overlook the importance of personal development. Enhance your leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, as these qualities are highly valued in managerial positions. Consider attending workshops or seminars that focus on soft skills development.

Remember that professional growth is a continuous journey, and it requires a proactive approach. Assess your goals, skills, and interests regularly to ensure you are heading in the right direction. It is also crucial to maintain a positive attitude, embrace challenges, and stay motivated throughout your career.

I hope these suggestions provide you with a starting point for your professional growth. Wishing you the very best in your career endeavors.

Best regards,
Abhishek Shah

Workplace Expert - Answered on Feb 19, 2024

Dear Mr. Krishna Kumar....This is sandhu here....I have been working in the logistics industry for about 25 years. My initial requirement was to learn from the front end since I was working in the back operations...hence I moved on to another county worked in 2 companies a freight forwarder and a distributor...and I am now working in the gulf with the second company (Distributor of world-class brand in electronics ) for about 17 years and growth seems to be completely stalled in terms of position. I am right now in a middle management position however looking for management position for about 17 years but does not seem to be working. Really do not know what should I do and looking for more expert advise...should I change to teaching filed....I am completely stationary in terms of growth prospects.
Ans: Dear Mr.Sandhu

Feeling stagnated in work or life is a normal that we all need to embrace. Many a times this feeling comes more out of peer pressure than our own.

Firstly, please define what growth means to you...role & responsibilities, position, salary, team size, value creation.

Secondly, do an honest assessment for self in each of the above areas and see where you think you are not growing.

Thirdly, ask yourself what is it that you want to do, if you feel for teaching then go for it but if it is a compromise because you feel you are not growing then I would suggest don't.

Fourthly, take up some courses that can enhance your skill sets.

Lastly, assess your own needs and wants at the stage of life you are in, talk to your family and see if what you have is good enough to live a peaceful and contented life.

All the best.