Khevna

Khevna Shah  |16 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Feb 13, 2023

Khevna Shah is the head of human resources at Coverfox Insurance. She has 14 years of experience in human resources across industries like manufacturing, banking & financial services and insurance. Her expertise includes talent acquisition, retention, employee engagement and developing a performance focussed culture.
Suresh Question by Suresh on Jan 30, 2023Hindi

Suddenly without any valid reasons I have been layedoff from my job with an notice of 30 days saying that company has insisted to do so, we have always been best performer but such action was not expected, kindly suggest what to do know

Ans: Hi Suresh,

As per employment contract both the employer and the employee have the option to terminate the contract with / without any reason whatsover. I understand that while this seems technically sound it impacts one emotionally & professionally. The company may have had business reasons / strategic shift owing to which they may have been forced to take such a decision.

The first piece is to not take it personally or as a reflection of your performance if you have always been a good performer. The second would be to accept the situation and use social media (LinkedIn) and job portals to get moving with your next venture. Experiences - good / bad / ugly - are a part of our professional journeys and the more resilience you develop, the more successful you'll be.

Mulling over the reasons or being bitter toward your ex-employer will only be waste of your energy. So pick yourself up and propel forward

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Mar 20, 2024

Hi sir I could not serve my 3 months notice period however I had served 2 months and asked HR to give me early reliving. I mentioned that my parents are not well and attached medical prescription but they denied and said you to serve complete 3 months. After 2 months I stopped going to office they were sending me absconding mails meanwhile and after 1month they sent me termination letter what shall I do In such case ? I was working there for 2 years.
Ans: I’m sorry to hear about your situation. When facing termination due to not serving the full notice period, it’s important to understand your rights and the potential legal implications. Here’s what you can consider doing:

Review Your Employment Contract: Check the terms regarding the notice period and termination. There might be provisions for situations like medical emergencies.
Legal Consultation: It may be beneficial to consult with a labor law attorney who can provide advice based on the specifics of your case and the applicable laws.
Documentation: Gather all relevant documentation, including the medical prescriptions you submitted, any communication from HR, and the termination letter.
Negotiation: You could attempt to negotiate with your employer, explaining the situation with your parents and seeking a compassionate resolution.
Labor Office: If negotiation fails, you may approach the local labor office or labor court for guidance and to explore options for redressal.
Understand Legal Precedents: Familiarize yourself with any legal precedents that may apply to your case. For instance, the Supreme Court has provided judgments on employment notice periods that might offer insights into your rights and obligations.
Remember, each situation is unique, and the best course of action depends on the specifics of your employment contract and the company’s policies. It’s crucial to handle the matter professionally and legally to ensure the best possible outcome. Good luck!