Mayank Kumar  |189 Answers  |Ask -

Education Expert - Answered on Apr 27, 2023

Dishantika Question by Dishantika on Apr 05, 2023Translate

I am stuck I don't know what path to choose .. I have no idea what I should do with my career CS MBA I don't know, my financial background is very weak . I am under too much pressure I don't know what path to choose

Ans: Don't worry, you will figure a path soon. First you need to start by answering the question what are your interest areas and can you look at taking up a work opportunity so that you can start building your financial background and post which you can look at taking up an MBA or a Masters in the field that you have interests in

Hi Anu, I am a 38 YO woman. Personal issues - None. A loving and doting husband and a 4 yo lovely daughter comprises my immediate family. Relations with parents and in-laws are also smooth.Professional issues - Too many. I never imagined myself to be where I currently am. I have never had a stable career nor a very good salary. I have had a good education but have not been able to make a professional mark for myself. I was ambitious and confident but now feel that everything is too overwhelming for me to achieve. I had dreams but probably never the conviction. For a long time I kept blaming the family for ruining my career but somewhere deep within I know that I responsible for whatever has happened in my life. Today when I decide to do only what I wish to do or pursue, I find myself at a loss on account of lack of confidence to achieve it. Others around me seem to be more confident of my abilities and intelligence than me. I also feel that it is too late now and instead of myself, I should focus on making my daughter's life but somewhere I am still unsettled. I want to have a good, stable and a well earning career, even if it is for the next 10 or 15 years of my life. I have no personal complaints but professionally, I do not want to die without having the satisfaction of having lived a good professional life as well. It matters a lot to me, not for anyone's sake but my own.I am working right now but that is not my future. I have been able to manage jobs at different points of time in different industries but never a career. I haven't lost hope but I simply know that my life isn't right.

Dear SS,

Firstly, ask yourself:

1. What will a job/career bring to me?

2. What is it that I feel a lack of when I am devoted into my personal life?

3. Am I trying to search for an identity through a career?

These questions will give you a clear picture of what is going on in your mind.

Most often, we crave something and declare the path but don’t realize that we are actually embarking on the wrong journey; it’s also possible what we are searching for already exists with us, but we are not able to see it or feel it.

For example: If you are searching for your identity that already is with you and you have told yourself that only a job/career could give that to you, it may so happen that every job that you are in will stress you to create an identity which you already have. You are on the cusp of changes as your children are growing…

Sit down with a pen and paper and clearly outline what you want to create in your life and WHY!

When this is clear, you will be able to take the first confident step and you will do it for yourself and not prove anything to anyone. It becomes only about your space and how you can make it beautiful.

2022 brings in a lot of hope for everyone and you as well. Chin up and plunge into a confident self and get ahead. All the best!

Aashish

Aashish Sood  |80 Answers  |Ask -

CAT, Management Expert - Answered on Nov 02, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 30, 2023Translate
Hi sir, I completed my B.tech in 2019 in computer science. After that 4 yrs have passed but I have not been able to stabilize my career till now. I have total 2 yrs of work experience in total 4 IT ompanies. I also have 2 career breaks of 1.5 yrs and 6 months each. The reason for my frequent job hopping and career gaps is that I am not able to handle stressful situations at workplace. Whenever a situation comes in which my boss scolds me or expects me to work in tight deadlines or I make some mistakes or some office politics starts, I start to get very anxious and spiral into negativity. My software development skills are pretty decent and I perform better than many of my colleagues. But my inability to handle these things eventually makes me quit the job in the hope that next job would be better in this regard. I usually get new jobs within few weeks due to my skills but my avoidance behaviour starts the same cycle again in the next workplace as well. Due to this my salary has not also been able to grow much. What should I do to save my career? My options are either sticking with IT ir changing my field by doing mba. I also think about MS abroad but my btech grades are not good enough (6.6 cgpa) to get in good universities.
Ans: Hey

It's understandable that dealing with workplace stress, criticism, tight deadlines, and office politics can be overwhelming. However, recognizing these challenges is an important first step towards finding a solution.

Here are my 2 cents worth of advice

1. Consider consulting a professional counselor or therapist to work on coping mechanisms for stress, anxiety, and handling workplace pressure. Learning techniques to manage stress and maintain a positive mindset can be tremendously beneficial.

2. Develop emotional intelligence skills to understand and manage emotions, empathize with others, and effectively communicate in challenging circumstances.

3. Develop a thick skin. Develop an ability to bounce back from setbacks, rejections, or stressful situations. Strategies like mindfulness, meditation, or even regular exercise can significantly contribute to improving resilience.

4. Be assertive, yet respectful, in your interactions can help you navigate workplace conflicts better.

5. It's possible that the culture or environment of the companies you've worked for may not be conducive to your well-being. Consider exploring companies with a more supportive, nurturing, or relaxed work culture.

Going for an MBA will be a costly affair and I would advise you to be sure of your decision.

Furthermore, post MBA; corporate stress is only bound to increase.
Jigar

Jigar Patel  |256 Answers  |Ask -

Stock Market Expert - Answered on Feb 23, 2024

Jigar

Jigar Patel  |256 Answers  |Ask -