Nayagam is a certified career counsellor and the founder of EduJob360.
He started his career as an HR professional and has over 10 years of experience in tutoring and mentoring students from Classes 8 to 12, helping them choose the right stream, course and college/university.
He also counsels students on how to prepare for entrance exams for getting admission into reputed universities /colleges for their graduate/postgraduate courses.
He has guided both fresh graduates and experienced professionals on how to write a resume, how to prepare for job interviews and how to negotiate their salary when joining a new job.
Nayagam has published an eBook, Professional Resume Writing Without Googling.
He has a postgraduate degree in human resources from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, Delhi, a postgraduate diploma in labour law from Madras University, a postgraduate diploma in school counselling from Symbiosis, Pune, and a certification in child psychology from Counsel India.
He has also completed his master’s degree in career counselling from ICCC-Mindler and Counsel, India.
Dr Question by Dr on Jun 21, 2024Hindi

Respected Sir My Son secured 80% in +2 (CBSE Board) and also got 82 percentile in IIT JEE Mains. We belong to Coimbatore. He is interested in CSC and want to develop his skills in Programming.Now my son got B.E CSC in Saveetha Engineering College, Affiliated to Anna University, Chennai. Saveetha Engineering is offering mandatory NPTEL/SWAYM from the III year . Kindly advice him for his future career with the extra skill courses.

Ans: Please note, (1) Saveetha Engineering College is a Reputed College & your Son can go ahead with it (2) It is good, NPTEL / SWAYAM are mandatory which I have recommended in some of my answers (please go through my answers below). These will definitely be helpful to your Son to upgrade the skills with Certifications apart from other platforms like Coursera, Linkedin etc. (3) After your son joins the college, if he has any doubts / needs clarifications including how to prepare for his Campus Recruitment in his 4th year, please ask me. All the BEST for your Son's Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please ask / FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

Hi Sir, I am 41 years old working in Dubai. My invesrment portfolio is as follows, 65 lakhs in MF, 5 lakhs in direct shares, 10 lakh in FD for emergencies. My monthly SIP is 1 lakh in a portfolio with goal of retirement in 14 years with corpus of 10 crores, current valuation is 60 lakh. And 50 thousand in a portfolio with goal of kids education in 12 years with corpus of 3 crores, current valuation is 5 lakh. I have a term plan with 1 million AED cover, no mediclaim other than company provided. No loans. Kindly advise if am well placed to achieve my goals or need to do changes to my portfolio and investments. After retirement in 14 years from now, and on reaching corpus of 10 Cr, can i withdraw 40 Lkahs annually for expenses, while my portfolio still growing by 8 to 10 percent? Thanking you in advance
Ans: Current Financial Overview
Age: 41 years old
Location: Dubai
Investment Portfolio:
Rs. 65 lakhs in mutual funds
Rs. 5 lakhs in direct shares
Rs. 10 lakhs in fixed deposits for emergencies
Monthly SIPs:
Rs. 1 lakh for retirement (goal: 10 crores in 14 years)
Rs. 50,000 for kids' education (goal: 3 crores in 12 years)
Insurance: Term plan with 1 million AED cover
Healthcare: No personal mediclaim other than company-provided
Liabilities: No loans
Analysis of Current Portfolio
Your portfolio is well-diversified across mutual funds, direct shares, and fixed deposits. You have a clear goal for retirement and your children's education, and you're investing consistently towards these goals.

65 lakhs in mutual funds: This is a solid foundation. Ensure these are diversified across large-cap, mid-cap, small-cap, and multi-cap funds to balance risk and returns.
SIPs: Your current SIPs are substantial and should help you achieve your goals if market conditions remain favorable.
Direct Shares
5 lakhs in direct shares: This adds a higher risk but potentially higher return element to your portfolio. Ensure these investments are in blue-chip companies or well-researched growth stocks.
Fixed Deposits
10 lakhs in FDs for emergencies: This is prudent and ensures liquidity in case of emergencies.
Retirement Goal
Current Situation
Current Valuation: Rs. 60 lakhs
SIP for Retirement: Rs. 1 lakh monthly
Goal: Rs. 10 crores in 14 years
Assessment
Assuming an average annual return of 12%, your current investments and SIPs should help you reach your retirement goal. Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio to stay aligned with your target.

Kids' Education Goal
Current Situation
Current Valuation: Rs. 5 lakhs
SIP for Education: Rs. 50,000 monthly
Goal: Rs. 3 crores in 12 years
Assessment
Assuming an average annual return of 12%, your current investments and SIPs should help you reach your education goal. Monitor the performance and adjust if necessary.

Additional Recommendations
Personal Mediclaim: Consider taking a personal health insurance policy in addition to your company-provided cover. This ensures coverage if you change jobs or post-retirement.
Portfolio Diversification
Diversify Further: If not already done, include debt funds, international funds, and sector-specific funds to diversify and reduce risk.
Regular Reviews: Conduct annual reviews of your portfolio to ensure it's on track to meet your goals.
Withdrawal Strategy Post-Retirement
Withdraw Rs. 40 lakhs annually: Assuming an average annual portfolio growth of 8-10%, withdrawing Rs. 40 lakhs annually is feasible. However, consider a mix of systematic withdrawal plans (SWPs) and lump sum withdrawals to manage tax and liquidity.
Continue Current SIPs: Your current SIP amounts and portfolio composition are well-aligned with your goals.
Diversify and Review: Ensure your portfolio is diversified and regularly reviewed.
Health Insurance: Obtain a personal mediclaim policy.
Retirement Withdrawals: Plan for systematic withdrawals to sustain your portfolio growth post-retirement.

Hi I am 28yrs old , my monthly in-hand salary is 1lakh , currently I am paying previous personal loans after October I'm debt free , currently I am investing ELSS mutual funds monthly 5k and lic moneback policy for monthly 5k , and investing in gold monthly 6k . Suggest me how to save money which gave me bulk amount to buy a 3bhk house in metropolitan city and retirement plan.
Ans: Current Financial Situation

You are 28 years old with a monthly in-hand salary of Rs 1 lakh. You are currently paying off personal loans, which will be completed by October. Your current investments include Rs 5,000 in ELSS mutual funds, Rs 5,000 in a LIC moneyback policy, and Rs 6,000 in gold.

Post-Debt Investment Strategy

Once your loans are cleared, you will have more disposable income. This is an excellent opportunity to reallocate your funds towards achieving your goals.

Building a House Fund

Increase SIP in Mutual Funds:

Post-October, consider increasing your ELSS SIP. Additionally, diversify into other mutual funds like large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds. This will help you build a substantial corpus over time.
Liquid Funds for Short-Term Goals:

Park a portion of your savings in liquid funds. This ensures liquidity while earning better returns than a savings account.
Fixed Deposits (FDs):

Consider investing a part in FDs for a fixed return. This adds stability to your portfolio.

Diversified Mutual Funds:

Continue with your ELSS for tax benefits and long-term growth. Also, add balanced funds and debt funds to ensure a stable return.
Public Provident Fund (PPF):

Start investing in PPF for safe, long-term returns and tax benefits. It has a lock-in period but offers attractive interest rates.
National Pension System (NPS):

Invest in NPS for retirement. It offers market-linked returns and additional tax benefits under Section 80CCD(1B).

Reevaluate LIC Policy

LIC moneyback policies typically offer lower returns. Consider switching to term insurance for higher coverage at a lower premium. Redirect the savings into mutual funds for better returns.

Gold Investments

Gold is a good hedge but typically offers lower returns. Keep it as a smaller portion of your portfolio. Diversify into other assets for better growth.

To buy a 3BHK in a metropolitan city, you need a disciplined savings and investment approach. Increase your mutual fund SIPs post-debt, start a PPF and NPS, and reevaluate your LIC policy. Diversifying your investments will help you build a substantial corpus for both your house and retirement.

I am a salaried person My take home earning is 39.5K I have two daughter out of which elder one has completed teenage and second is teenager now. I am living on rent Please Suggest Some SIP funds name along with amount suggestion so that I can make my own home in next 10 years along with family liabilities. MY savings would be about 10 L - 11 L within six months.
Ans: You earn Rs. 39,500 per month. You have two daughters, one in her teens and the other has completed her teenage years. You live on rent and aim to buy a home in the next 10 years. Your savings will be about Rs. 10-11 lakhs within six months.

Monthly SIP Allocation
Given your goal of buying a home in 10 years, consider the following SIP allocations:

Large-Cap Funds: Allocate Rs. 5,000 monthly. These funds provide stability and steady returns.

Multi-Cap Funds: Allocate Rs. 5,000 monthly. These funds balance investments across different market capitalizations.

Hybrid Funds: Allocate Rs. 5,000 monthly. These funds mix equity and debt, balancing risk and return.

Mid-Cap Funds: Allocate Rs. 2,000 monthly. These funds offer higher growth potential with moderate risk.

Small-Cap Funds: Allocate Rs. 2,000 monthly. These funds can yield high returns but are riskier.

Lump Sum Investment
When your savings reach Rs. 10-11 lakhs, invest a portion in mutual funds and keep some as an emergency fund.

Emergency Fund: Keep Rs. 2-3 lakhs in a high-interest savings account or liquid fund.

Equity Mutual Funds: Invest Rs. 5 lakhs in a combination of large-cap, multi-cap, and mid-cap funds.

Debt Funds: Invest Rs. 2-3 lakhs in short-term debt funds for stability and moderate returns.

Diversification and Risk Management
Diversify Investments: Ensure your investments are spread across different asset classes to reduce risk.

Regular Monitoring: Review your investments periodically to ensure they are aligned with your goals.

Professional Advice
Consider consulting a Certified Financial Planner. They can help tailor a plan to your specific needs and risk tolerance.

Start monthly SIPs in a diversified portfolio.

Allocate lump sum savings wisely.

Diversify investments to manage risk.

Regularly monitor your investments.