Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Sep 14, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
RUPINDER Question by RUPINDER on Sep 13, 2023Hindi

My son is pursuing Degree in Computer Science. He is in his last year. He is good in App Developer. He wants to study in abroad. Please suggest which course to pursue. Any university abroad for one year degree course. Your advice will be very helpful to me.

Ans: Hello Rupinder,

First and foremost, thank you for contacting us. If your son is passionate about developing applications, studying abroad can be a great way for him to advance his education and acquire international exposure in the computer science field. Since he is currently in the final year of his Bachelor’s degree, he may be considering pursuing a one-year Master's course to further specialize in this field. Mentioned below are some courses that your son could opt for:

1. Master's in Information Technology: With an emphasis on app and mobile development, certain colleges provide specialized pathways within their IT programs.

2. Master's in Mobile App Development: A specialized course in creating mobile applications, these programs are offered by a number of universities worldwide, including universities in the UK, Europe, the USA, Australia, and Canada.

3. Master's in Computer Science: This being a flexible choice, it enables your son to focus on app development within the wider field of computer science. Within their computer science programs, a variety of specializations are offered by several universities.

4. Master's in Software Engineering: A rather comprehensive course encompassing both, software and app development, and offered by leading universities globally, the Master's in Software Engineering provides a solid base in software engineering practices and principles.

Your son should research and decide on a program that best matches his hobbies and career objectives.

Outstanding programs in computer science are offered by the below mentioned prominent international universities:

• The UK: University College London, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, and University of Oxford.

• Australia: University of Melbourne, University of New South Wales, Australian National University, and University of Sydney.

• The USA: University of California, Berkeley, Stanford University, University of Washington, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Carnegie Mellon University.

• Europe: Technical University of Munich (Germany), University of Edinburgh (UK), and ETH Zurich (Switzerland).

• Canada: University of British Columbia, McGill University, University of Toronto, and University of Waterloo.

Visit the official websites of each of these universities for accurate details pertaining to the courses offered and the admission prerequisites, as varying programs and specialties may be offered by each university.

Moreover, when selecting a foreign university, your son should take into account the living expenses, location, scholarship possibilities, and internships or co-op programs available. As admission standards and requirements can differ between universities and countries, your son should start applying ahead of time.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Sep 22, 2023

Dear Sushil ji, My son is doing Computer Science from VIT vellore and is 3rd Year Student. Please advise whether he should go abroad for the Masters and location whether Germany will be advisable . Kindly provide the input .
Ans: Hello Sanjay,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. Your son’s future ambitions, financial status, and personal choices, play a key role in deciding if he should travel overseas to pursue a Master’s degree in Computer Science, and if Germany is a favorable study destination. When deciding, take into account the following factors:
1. Career Objectives: Consider if your son has set career ambitions that can be accomplished by studying a master's degree abroad.

2. Academic Prowess: An exceptional academic record can enhance your son’s chances of getting into prominent foreign universities. Take into account his academic success in the program he is currently pursuing.

3. Financial Condition: Studying overseas can be a costly affair. Investigate your financial capacity and the costs related with studying in Germany or any other country. Look into the available scholarships, financial aid, and part-time work opportunities.

4. Choosing Programs and Universities: Conduct extensive study and pick programs and universities that resonate with your son’s educational and professional interests. Search universities that have robust Computer Science departments and research possibilities.

5. English Language Competency: Although there are a few English-taught courses, Germany mainly offers programs in the German language. You on studying in Germany or any other non-English-speaking country, make sure he possesses the required language abilities.

In addition, your son should get to know the visa and immigration prerequisites for the country he intends studying in. For instance, Germany has a fairly simple student visa procedure for international students. Enhanced networking possibilities are offered in the tech sector by some countries over others. Investigate the labor market and links your son can form during the duration of his Master’s course. Also, take into consideration if your son is ready for the societal and cultural changes that come with pursuing overseas education. This involves adjusting to a new setting, building friendships, and getting to know the local culture. Look into the available post-study employment opportunities in the country you have chosen to study in. Taking into account both, the cost of studying and the long-term professional advantages, consider the possible ROI (Return on Investment) of pursuing a master's degree overseas.

Owing to its exceptional system of education, research possibilities, and a friendly environment for international students, Germany can be a top option to pursue a Master's in Computer Science. To make an educated choice, carefully examine each factor and get in touch with career counselors and academic consultants. Your son should also examine particular programs and universities in Germany to make sure that match his objectives and interests.

Dear Sir, I am 40 years old, happily married, have 2 daughters 7 years and 3 years old. My financials are 1. Real Estate 1.50 cr. Land and 2 houses (house value: 85 lakhs: Monthly rental yield 30,000) 2. ULIP 18,000 monthly for 5 years. (19 months completed. Corpus: 4 lakhs) C. Mutual funds 50,000 (just started). I can invest monthly 1.50 lakhs now. Please advice the best categories of Mutual Funds to invest as SIP. Also, thinking to sell the house of 85 lakhs value and put in SWP. Please advice.
Ans: You are 40 years old, happily married with two daughters aged 7 and 3. You have real estate worth Rs. 1.50 crores, including two houses (one valued at Rs. 85 lakhs with a monthly rental yield of Rs. 30,000). You have a ULIP with a monthly contribution of Rs. 18,000 for 5 years, with 19 months completed and a corpus of Rs. 4 lakhs. You have just started investing Rs. 50,000 in mutual funds. You can invest Rs. 1.50 lakhs monthly now.

Investment in Mutual Funds
Equity mutual funds are essential for long-term growth. They provide high returns over time. You can invest in large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. Large-cap funds are less risky. Mid-cap and small-cap funds offer higher returns but come with higher risks.

Debt mutual funds provide stability to your portfolio. They invest in bonds and government securities. They are less volatile and offer regular returns. You can consider short-term and long-term debt funds based on your investment horizon.

Hybrid Mutual Funds
Hybrid funds invest in both equity and debt. They balance risk and return. They are suitable for moderate risk takers. They provide stability with some growth potential.

Tax-saving Mutual Funds
ELSS funds provide tax benefits under Section 80C. They have a lock-in period of 3 years. They offer good returns and help in tax planning. You can allocate a portion of your investments to these funds.

Selling the House and SWP
Selling the house worth Rs. 85 lakhs can provide a lump sum. You can invest this in a Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP). SWP offers regular income from mutual funds. It provides flexibility and better returns compared to rental income. Ensure to consult with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) to align this with your financial goals.

Increase your SIP contributions to Rs. 1.50 lakhs monthly. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. Review your portfolio regularly to ensure it aligns with your goals.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance helps achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Focus on long-term growth with equity funds. Maintain stability with debt funds. Balance risk and return with hybrid funds. Consider tax-saving ELSS funds. Review your portfolio regularly.

Age41 yrs , Currently been doing monthly SIP in below mutual funds: * Parag parikh elss tax saver fund : 2000 a month ( 1 year ) * Quant mid cap fund : 5000 a month (started newly ) I am self employed who earns minimum 50k a month I have term insurance and health insurance for my family . Would like to retire my age 55 , keeping inflation and children education and other expenses in my mind . How should I go ahead
Ans: You are 41 years old. You earn Rs. 50,000 a month. You have term insurance and health insurance for your family. You are investing in two SIPs: Parag Parikh ELSS Tax Saver Fund (Rs. 2,000/month) and Quant Mid Cap Fund (Rs. 5,000/month).

Retirement Goal
You plan to retire at 55. Consider inflation, children's education, and other expenses in your planning. Start by estimating your retirement corpus. This should cover living expenses, healthcare, and other needs.

Increase your SIP contributions gradually. This will help build a larger retirement corpus. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This balances risk and provides stable returns.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds offer better potential returns. Fund managers select stocks based on research. This can outperform index funds, which only track the market.

Tax Saving and Growth
Continue investing in ELSS funds for tax benefits. They also provide good returns over the long term. Consider adding more equity funds for growth. Equity funds can beat inflation and provide higher returns.

Education Fund for Children
Start a separate education fund for your children. Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds. This ensures their education expenses are covered.

Maintain an emergency fund to cover at least six months of expenses. This provides financial security in case of emergencies. Use a high-interest savings account for this fund.

Regular Fund Investments
Consider regular funds with the help of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). Regular funds come with expert advice and monitoring. This ensures your investments stay aligned with your goals.

Review and Rebalance
Review your portfolio regularly. Rebalance it to maintain the desired asset allocation. This helps manage risk and improve returns.

Increase your SIPs and diversify investments. Plan for children's education and maintain an emergency fund. Seek professional guidance for a comprehensive financial plan.

I am 30 years old working in Public sector bank my salary is monthly 60000 and I have shares worth 1100000 and mutual funds worth 200000 and I am investing monthly SIP 13000 Including equity, best and hybrid funds I have health and term insurance I would like to retire at 50 years with corpus of 3 crores how can I improve my investment strategy.
Ans: You are 30 years old, earning Rs 60,000 monthly. You have shares worth Rs 11 lakhs and mutual funds worth Rs 2 lakhs. You are investing Rs 13,000 monthly in SIPs. You also have health and term insurance.

Retirement Goal

You aim to retire at 50 with a corpus of Rs 3 crores. This goal is achievable with a well-planned strategy.

Investment Strategy Evaluation

Your current investments include equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This mix is good for diversification. However, to reach Rs 3 crores, you need to optimise and possibly increase your investments.

Direct funds require constant monitoring. Regular funds, managed by a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), can provide expert advice and better management. This ensures your investments are aligned with your goals.

Recommendations for Improvement

Increase SIP Contribution: Gradually increase your SIP amount as your salary grows.

Professional Management: Regular funds managed by a CFP can offer better returns and less hassle.

Diversify Portfolio: Include large-cap funds to balance the risk and return.

Regular Reviews: Monitor and adjust your portfolio regularly with the help of a CFP.

Your goal to retire with Rs 3 crores is realistic. You need to increase your SIPs, diversify your portfolio, and seek expert advice. Regular funds managed by a Certified Financial Planner can help you achieve your target with less stress.

Hello Experts, I am currently working in pvt sector and am 32 years old. My current in hand salary is 1.45lac per month. I am currently paying off my father's home loan of 38lacs, with current outstanding of 24lacs. I have bought a flat back in 2021, for which the loan is of 70lac for 30years.I have a loan insurance for this loan. The EMI for this has not been started yet. It will start once the builder will provide possession of the same. I am paying 15500 monthly rent and apart from that monthly expenses amounts to 30k a month. I am married and my wife is a homemaker and I have a baby girl 2months old. Could you please guide me.
Ans: You have a monthly salary of Rs. 1.45 lakhs. You are paying off your father's home loan with Rs. 24 lakhs outstanding. You bought a flat in 2021 with a Rs. 70 lakhs loan. Your EMI for this will start once you get possession. You pay Rs. 15,500 rent and have monthly expenses of Rs. 30,000. You are married with a homemaker wife and a 2-month-old daughter.

Focus on repaying your father’s home loan. Prioritize this to reduce financial burden. Use part of your monthly income for this. Once the EMI for your flat starts, your expenses will increase. Plan for this additional expense in advance.

Expense Management
You pay Rs. 15,500 in rent and Rs. 30,000 in other expenses. Ensure these expenses are well-managed. Create a monthly budget to track your spending. This will help you save more.

Build an emergency fund to cover at least 6 months of expenses. This will provide financial security. Use a high-interest savings account for this fund.

You have loan insurance for your flat. Ensure you also have adequate life and health insurance. This protects your family in case of emergencies.

Investment Planning
Start a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) in mutual funds. SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly. This helps in disciplined investing and wealth creation.

Benefits of SIPs
SIPs help in rupee cost averaging. This reduces the impact of market volatility. They provide the benefit of compounding returns. SIPs are flexible, allowing you to increase or decrease your investment amount.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds offer better returns than index funds. Professional fund managers select stocks based on research. This can outperform the market.

Regular Funds vs Direct Funds
Regular funds come with the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). CFPs provide personalized advice and regular monitoring. This ensures your investments remain aligned with your goals.

Child’s Education Planning
Start an education fund for your daughter. Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds. This will ensure her future education expenses are covered.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance will help you achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Prioritize debt repayment. Build an emergency fund. Invest in SIPs for long-term growth. Secure your family’s future with proper insurance and planning.