Chandu

Chandu Nair  |55 Answers  |Ask -

VC, Angel Investing, Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Oct 28, 2023

Chandu Nair advises entrepreneurs and enterprises about creating and building their business.
He has direct experience in angel, venture capital and strategic investor funding. Over the last three decades, he has made a name for himself in industry, consultancy, media and information services.
Nair is on the advisory boards of the Chennai-based private equity firm Fulcrum and the social impact fund, Menterra. He's an independent director on the board of India's first retail building products company, Shankara Building Products Limited.
Asked by Anonymous - Oct 27, 2023Hindi

Dear Mr Chandu, I have failed two start-ups and lost Rs 2 crores. I took a break and worked as a consultant for a year. I want to be an entrepreneur again. Any tips that you'd like to share with me?

Ans: Dear Anon,
Kudos to you for reviving your entrepreneurial dreams despite your two setbacks and financial loss.

I have no idea of your current financial and personal situation - married, with kids, extent of savings, if spouse is working etc. It would be good for you to ensure that you have savings which can take care of family needs for 1 year at least so that family worries don't derail you and take attention away.

Have you shortlisted any ideas and done an evaluation? Any preliminary validation done?

At this juncture, it would be a good idea to figure out what went wrong in your previous start-ups and why plus what corrective steps are required.

Have you also got the seed capital organised or is it possible to get it from savings and your family and friends?

It may be helpful to get a co-founder(s) with complementary skills/ expertise and experience and aligned in terms of vision and values.

These preparatory steps can help you in reigniting your start-up dreams!

All the best

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on May 15, 2023

Hi Abhishek! I am a lost entrepreneur having 13 years experience. I found decent exit from my previous startup where I've put in 10 years in different roles at elementary level like Marketing, Customer Success, Product, Tech but haven't developed a niche. In last 3 years, I've worked with an early stage startup which failed. Now when I came out of there, I feel so insecure about future not having any expertise even after having 13 years of experience so to say. Please guide how to find my liking and develop expertise quickly or how can I navigate my career so that I am viewed at least as a competent mid career professional.
Ans: Hi there,

It's great to hear about your extensive entrepreneurial experience. Finding your niche and developing expertise can be a valuable step in advancing your career. Here are a few suggestions to help you navigate your career and be viewed as a competent mid-career professional:

Reflect on your past experiences: Take some time to reflect on your previous roles and identify the aspects you enjoyed the most. Consider the skills you excelled at and the tasks that brought you the most satisfaction. This reflection can provide insights into potential areas of expertise.

Assess your strengths and interests: Conduct a self-assessment to identify your strengths, skills, and interests. What are you naturally good at? What topics or industries fascinate you? This evaluation can help you pinpoint areas where you can build expertise more quickly.

Stay updated with industry trends: Stay informed about the latest trends and developments in your field of interest. Subscribe to relevant newsletters, follow influential figures on social media, and attend industry conferences or webinars. This will help you gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter and identify potential areas of specialization.

Seek learning opportunities: Take advantage of various learning resources available, such as online courses, workshops, or certifications. These can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to build expertise in a specific area.

Network and collaborate: Engage with professionals in your field of interest. Attend industry events, join relevant communities or associations, and participate in networking activities. Building connections and collaborating with others can help you gain exposure, learn from experts, and discover new opportunities.

Start small and build gradually: Begin by focusing on a specific aspect or niche within your field of interest. By starting small, you can gradually build your expertise and become known for your proficiency in that particular area. As you gain experience and credibility, you can expand your scope and take on more challenging projects.

Remember, developing expertise takes time and effort. Be patient with yourself and embrace continuous learning. By leveraging your past experiences, identifying your strengths and interests, staying updated, seeking learning opportunities, networking, and starting small, you can work towards becoming a competent mid-career professional in your chosen niche.
Good luck on your journey!

Regards,
Abhishek

Baqar Iftikhar

Baqar Iftikhar Naqvi  |112 Answers  |Ask -

Start-up Mentor - Answered on Sep 18, 2023

Chandu

Chandu Nair  |55 Answers  |Ask -

VC, Angel Investing, Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Feb 12, 2024

Dear Mr CHandu, I am 53 yrs now and an BE by qualification. I have been working in IT industry (14 yrs) and from 2007 have been working in IT Security profile as GM. In 2015 I left the job over an partnership offer which did not materialized but i lost the job. I started an start-up ecommerce company with a good concept which was liked and appreciated by the franchisees as even today they are running a grocery store which was setup by me, though my business shut down due to non funding and was cheated in the name of funding. After long gap I did join the company but lasted for just 8 months and now again am job less. I have a good start-up idea in healthcare which is workable and have been appreciated by people to whom i have brief though i M yet to launch due to funds issue, Though people are trying to find the funding after hearing the biz idea. My wife is working and have 2 kids in 12th and 10th Std respectively. Pls advice.
Ans: Dear Mr Dinesh,
It looks like you have been through a lot after getting into business on your own. Your children too are at a critical stage in life which requires funds for higher education in the next few years. The first question to ask yourself is - what is the priority in your life? Is it financial stability for the family esp for the kids? Or is it the pursuit of your business? The second question is - what is the current status of your household finances? Is there enough savings to manage the household, upcoming education expenses, other expenses (travel, medical etc)?
If you are shaky, it may be time for you to consider taking an assignment which offers you a fixed remuneration and also flexibility to work on your idea. You say you were in the field of IT security. Can you consider an assignment which might take 2-3 days per week managing and overseeing the IT security for a company which cannot afford a full-time professional?
You may also want to consider getting incubated in a good healthcare incubator in your city and also apply for a start-up funding grant from the government of India and/or local state government programmes.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 22, 2024

Is master degree in physiotherapy from Canada along with bachelor degree in physiotherapy enough to settle in canada

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. As an answer to your query, I would like to tell you that to settle in Canada, a master’s degree in physiotherapy from Canada along with a bachelor's degree in physiotherapy can be sufficient. You would be glad to know that degrees earned from Canada can improve your eligibility for immigration and employment substantially. Physiotherapy being a licensed profession in Canada, I would like to tell you that you will require to get your credentials recognised by the regulatory agency in the province or territory you intend working in. This frequently entails an evaluation of your education and potentially taking additional tests, or acquiring professional experience in Canada.

Moreover, obtaining a master’s degree from a university in Canada can also assist you with the Express Entry immigration system, by raising your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, thereby, enhancing your chances of being invited to submit an application for permanent residency (PR). Furthermore, your resume can be further strengthened by adding work experience acquired in Canada via post-graduate work permits. Hence, your academic background coupled with fulfilling regulatory and immigration standards can help you settle in Canada.

For more information, you can visit our website: www.edwiseinternational.com

You can also follow us on our Instagram page: edwiseint

Should I join Bennett University
Ans: Hello Hitesh,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. To answer your question first, I would like to tell you that your academic and professional objectives, as well as your personal choices play a key role in deciding whether to join Bennett University. Founded by the Times of India Group, Bennett University, is renowned for its strong focus on entrepreneurship, innovation, and industry-focused education. I would like to let you know that a vast array of undergraduate and postgraduate programs with state-of-the-art infrastructure, knowledgeable teachers, as well as partnerships with international organizations are offered by this university. Not just that, Bennett University boasts a strong placement record and emphasizes on overall development via a range of extracurricular activities.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that you take into account variables viz., the location, educational offerings, experience of the faculty members, and campus amenities. You should also compare it with other universities you are interested in, in terms of academic standing, career assistance, and student feedback. Lastly, in order to acquire more knowledge and assist in making an educated choice, I would recommend that you visit the campus, speak to students presently studying there, and participate in informational sessions.

Sir my daughter is in grade 9.Can you please suggest some preparation strategy for iit-jee .Which is the best online coaching for iit-jee foundation for grade 9.
Ans: Prefer ALLEN Online Coaching Classes. AhaGuru is another Better Option, if fees of Allen is More. However, If you join AhaGURU, join just Allen's Online Test Series also to practice questions online. Go to both Website, check & choose more suitable one for you.

NOW Coming to Preparation Strategies:

(1) Whenever you study at home, study for 45-minutes. Then take a break of 10-minutes when you can move away from your study table, walk, have some water & relax. If you continue studying beyond 45-minutes, your concentration power will go down, resulting to low output. Most students commit this mistake. (2) On daily basis (morning or evening whichever will be convenient to you), do yoga or meditation or physical exercises or play any games / sports for at least 30-45 minutes. This will further reduce your stress / distractions. (3) Study tough topics / tough subjects (applicable to you) early morning with your fresh mind. (4) Eat a lot of green vegetables / fruits which you can afford for & Avoid soft drinks (5) Every day night, before going to bed, revise whatever you have studied during the day. (6) Also, revise every week whatever you have covered till date (here your short-notes which you should prepare will be helpful). (7) Keep practising questions on topics which you have covered either offline or online (8) Give utmost importance to wrongly answered / difficult / complicated / tough questions and have a separate note-book specially for this for each subject (PCM) (8) You might be aware that JEE rank is allotted on the basis of highest score in Maths, followed by Physics & Chemistry. Practice more and more in Maths, till you reach Speed & Accuracy (9) By the end of 9th/10th/11th/12th standard (December-January), attempt fully syllabus online test series, evaluate and analyse your performance such as, (a) which topic / unit / concept you are weak which needs your revision and improvement as this will disturb you when you appear in actual JEE exam (b) abnormal time taken to attempt any question which you can come to know from Online Test Series which you should reduce (c) which questions you skipped and why? (10) Please AVOID studying under pressure that you should get admission only into IITs/ NITs. Never advisable. Any one can be successful, even if he / she studies in NON-IIT / NON-NIT Colleges also. (11) Have Plan B & Plan C for other Colleges Entrance Exams / Disciplines-Streams. (11) Avoid comparing yourself with other students. (12) Also, it is highly ideal to appear in / attempt minimum 5-Entrance Exams (for both Govt & Private Engineering Colleges). You will have a lot of options (easiest method) to choose the best and most suitable one, keeping in view a lot of factors such as, College | Location | Your Interest | Stream Preference | Placement Records | College Culture | Your Short & Long Term Goals | Pressure You Can Go Through | Your AIR & Job Market Condition when you apply for your BTech & Even after. I hope I have answered to your question with value additions.

All the BEST for your Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please Ask / Follow me in RediffGURU here.