Mayank Rautela  |238 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Apr 22, 2021

Mayank Rautela is the group chief human resources officer at Care Hospitals.
Abhishek Question by Abhishek on Apr 22, 2021Hindi

Hello Sir,
I am Abhishek, age 41, working in an MNC from last six years, as principal design engineer, electrical, in Mumbai.
I am a resident of Pune with my family settled there.
I have 18 years of experience in electrical design and PLC (programmable logic controller) automation industry.
But due to office politics and partial behaviour from management, I am dead in my career.
I am also getting very less opportunity in PLC automation, hence no new skills additions in my professional area.
I
 tried hard to change my job but couldn't get any. I also discussed with my manager about my goals and wish to work on PLC automation, but didn't get any major opportunities.
Recently I have got another opportunity in Pune but will have to travel more to foreign locations. I have to travel in my current job as well but the new company is offering better designation, better salary and better opportunities for me to work with new technologies in PLC automation.
However, it is a very small Indian organisation compared to my current MNC I work for.
I am in dilemma whether I should take up the new job or not?
What is your advice?
Thanks,
Abhishek

Hi Abhishek.

If you read my column, you will realise that during this global pandemic I typically do not advise anyone to change their job.

But your case is different as you are getting to work in your area of interest and will also be able to move to your home town.

Do some more analysis and reference check about this new company and management.

If it's positive, then you can go ahead and take this new opportunity.

Today, Indian companies with good management can offer career opportunities far more exciting than any MNC.

Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |145 Answers  |Ask -

Leadership, HR Expert - Answered on Apr 23, 2024

Hi. I am 42 years now and worked as Asst professor in a leading private engineering college. I quit job just after phd as i feel no growth in this field without doing research but no funding is available. I got Sales & Application engineer job now for automation & control system products where i have no idea much about the product. Shall I take this position in this age?
Ans: Taking on a new position as a sales and application engineer for automation and control system products can be a significant shift in your career path, especially if you're transitioning from academia to the private sector and into a field that's unfamiliar to you. Consider the learning and growth opportunities offered by the new position. Ask yourself: Will the company provide training and support to help you ramp up your knowledge and expertise in automation and control system products? Are there opportunities for professional development and advancement within the organization? Think about your long-term career goals and how this position fits into your overall career trajectory. Does it offer opportunities for advancement, skill development, and fulfillment? Will it allow you to achieve your professional aspirations and financial goals? Assess the financial implications of taking the new position. While the salary and benefits may be attractive, consider any potential trade-offs, such as job security, retirement benefits, or bonuses. Ensure that the compensation package aligns with your financial needs and goals.

Ultimately, the decision to take the sales and application engineer position at this stage in your career depends on your individual circumstances, aspirations, and comfort level with change and uncertainty. If you're willing to embrace the challenge, learn new skills, and adapt to a different work environment, it could be a rewarding opportunity to explore a new career path and expand your horizons.

Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |145 Answers  |Ask -

Leadership, HR Expert - Answered on May 03, 2024

Hello sir, im working in govt job PSU for 1 year and im not getting interest here. My age is 27 and passed out in btech ee in 2020. There is almost less work, also its not interesting. I deal with boiler and turbine operations. I want to persue mtech in control / robotics fields. But im afraid of the volatile job market, u see im a bit slow than other people. Do u think i should follow what my heart says or stick to this job due to its job security and my slow brain power . My age is more too. I have good financial support too. Im afraid I will lose job in pvt job. But i want to learn and grow!
Ans: It's natural to feel conflicted about whether to pursue your passion or stick with a secure job, especially when considering factors like job market volatility and personal abilities. Here are some points to consider that might help you make a decision: Consider the balance between pursuing your passion for control and robotics fields and the stability offered by your current government job at a PSU. Think about what will ultimately bring you more fulfillment and satisfaction in the long run. While the job market for control and robotics fields may have some volatility, these sectors also offer opportunities for growth and innovation. Research the demand for professionals in these fields, the potential for career advancement, and the types of companies or industries that are investing in automation and robotics technologies. Reflect on your interest in the control and robotics fields and your desire to learn and grow professionally. Pursuing a master's degree in these areas could provide you with valuable skills, knowledge, and experiences that align better with your career aspirations and interests. While age can be a factor in career decisions, it's important to prioritize your long-term career goals and personal fulfillment. With good financial support and a willingness to learn, you can overcome any perceived limitations and make meaningful progress in your career. Assess the potential risks and rewards associated with transitioning to a new field versus staying in your current job. Consider developing a backup plan or exploring part-time or online learning options that allow you to gain skills in control and robotics fields while maintaining your current job security. 

Assess the potential risks and rewards associated with transitioning to a new field versus staying in your current job. Consider developing a backup plan or exploring part-time or online learning options that allow you to gain skills in control and robotics fields while maintaining your current job security.

Aashish

Aashish Sood  |114 Answers  |Ask -

CAT, Management Expert - Answered on May 30, 2024

I am 35 year old and holding 5+ years of experience in various domains after completing Deploma in Mech Engg QA-1year(automobile industry 2011-12). 2012-2018-- Degree in Mechanical Engg. Meanwhile due to financial issues I had work with 2/3 companies for short time of period and left because of Exams, whatever work like service engineer and Quality related work I attended. After completing my Graduation in Mechanical Engg I rejoin small firm which was dealer and distribution industry for metal cutting tools. due to convid these company was shutdown and then 2021 I switched to BPO industry and now from April 2023 to till date I am working in Supply chain Management in Infosys as a Sr Executive now could you please advise what should I do because it's really challenging to adapt new skills with less salary I am unable to take risk of new learning. And also facing money problems as now I have to run entire family shall I have to start any business or what should I do to save and retrack my career?
Ans: Why don't you want to continue in SCM?

In my opinion, you should continue to develop your expertise in supply chain management. Given your current role at Infosys, aim to gain more responsibilities and prove your value within the organization. You may also consider obtaining supply chain management certifications like APICS (now ASCM), Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP), or Six Sigma. These can increase your marketability and potential for promotions or salary increases.

Stay updated with industry trends and continue learning to adapt to changing market demands.