Khevna

Khevna Shah  |16 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Feb 06, 2023

Khevna Shah is the head of human resources at Coverfox Insurance. She has 14 years of experience in human resources across industries like manufacturing, banking & financial services and insurance. Her expertise includes talent acquisition, retention, employee engagement and developing a performance focussed culture.

Hi Khevna, From an HR perspective, does it pose an issue or conflict of interest for my boss and me to start an unrelated side business together (a totally different industry than our place of employment, never using work resources for this)?

Ans: It may not pose conflict of interest but it is in good stance to declare it to your current company of any other business interests / ventures you get into. It is not only an ethical practice but a must since irrespective of the nature of business, it is imperative that you let your employer know of any other commercial activities that you are involved in (even if it is pro bono).

Mayank Rautela  |238 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Dec 05, 2022

Dear Mayank, I'm amidst a peculiar situation in my professional journey. I work for a private limited company as AGM sales (Industrial) for past 4 years & my contribution to the company's top-line constitutes almost 70% of the company's yearly revenue since I am a KAM of a big strategic account. Over the past 8-9 years, while I have changed my employers on couple of occasions, my client has remained the same (its the same big account that I refer to). However, in the past I have never joined a direct competitor where there has been a conflict of interest. Always I chose to move to an organization with different product line and thereby expand my exposure, while at the same time keeping intact the integrity as well as dignity of during job changes. Now, our direct competitor has approached me with a job opportunity in the same market. My present organisation is relatively small,whereas the competitor is a big MNC with better brand value. I tried to stay away for past 2-3 months citing ethical issues, but they still keep approaching. Please suggest whether it will be a good decision to change. I'm 41 years of age, with 17-18 years experience in Industrial Marketing. Regards, Ashish

Hi Ashish,

The large MNC is approaching you for your strong connections and they want to capitalise on that for their growth.

If you are happy with your role and the culture of the current organisation, then my suggestion will be to continue with them.

Changing a job is always a risk, particularly in the current economic scenario.

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Jul 17, 2023

How to start a business while already in a job.
Ans: Starting a business while already being employed can be an exciting and challenging endeavor. I can provide you with some valuable insights and steps to help you navigate this journey:

Evaluate Your Idea: Before you begin, assess the feasibility and potential of your business idea. Conduct market research to understand your target audience, competition, and the demand for your product or service.

Create a Business Plan: A well-structured business plan is crucial for any venture. Outline your business objectives, strategies, financial projections, and marketing plans. This plan will act as a roadmap for your business and can also be helpful when seeking funding or partnerships.

Time Management: Balancing a job and a new business requires excellent time management skills. Set aside specific hours each day or week dedicated to your business. Be disciplined and committed to utilizing this time effectively.

Avoid Conflicts of Interest: Make sure your new business idea doesn't conflict with your current employer's interests. Review your employment contract and company policies to ensure there are no restrictions on starting a side business.

Secure Funding: Determine how much capital you need to start your business. You might consider bootstrapping, seeking investors, or applying for loans. Adequate funding is essential to get your business off the ground.

Build a Support Network: Surround yourself with mentors, advisors, or a supportive entrepreneurial community. Networking can provide guidance, advice, and potential business opportunities.

Test the Waters: Consider starting your business as a part-time venture initially. This will allow you to validate your idea and get real-world feedback while minimizing the risk.

Legal and Tax Implications: Register your business with the appropriate government authorities and obtain any necessary licenses or permits. Be aware of your tax obligations and keep your personal and business finances separate.

Delegate and Outsource: As your business grows, you may need to delegate certain tasks or outsource work to manage your time efficiently. Focus on core activities that require your expertise and delegate the rest.

Maintain Work-Life Balance: Starting a business alongside a job can be demanding, so it's crucial to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Take care of your physical and mental well-being to avoid burnout.

Be Patient and Persistent: Building a successful business takes time and effort. Be prepared for challenges and setbacks along the way, but remain persistent and focused on your goals.

Remember, every business journey is unique, and success depends on various factors, including market conditions, competition, and your dedication to the endeavor. With proper planning, commitment, and the right mindset, you can successfully start and grow your business while maintaining your job.

Regards,
Abhishek Shah