Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 09, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
Asked by Anonymous - Oct 08, 2023Translate

Hello Sushil, my son hasn't completed any UG course inspite of getting admission into 3 premier colleges in India. Now he wants to apply for a course in MIT or Stanford. He has scored 117/120 in TOEFL. Expecting his SAT result by this month end. Can you please guide us with the admission process ? Also is there any organization which can assist him with scholarship for the program. He is an extremely intelligent and hardworking student. It is just that the education system here wasn't convincing him to finish what he started.

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am glad to hear about your son’s plans on enrolling in a course at leading American universities viz., MIT or Stanford. I would like to inform you that it’s very likely for many students to alter their educational pathways. Similarly, remember that applications made by students who have chosen to embark on different education paths are taken into account by the above mentioned universities. Follow these steps to ensure a successful admission process:

1. Education Prerequisites: The education prerequisites for each university is unique. I would suggest that your son fulfills these minimum requirements that generally require him to maintain a strong grade point average (GPA), high scores in the ACT/SAT exam, and complete challenging courses in high school.

2. Submit TOEFL Test Results: As mentioned previously, your son has scored 117/120 in the TOEFL examination. I would like to tell you that this is indeed outstanding and must satisfy the prerequisites for English language competency.

3. Submit Marksheets: Your son will need to acquire and submit official marksheets from all his past academic institutions.

4. Craft a Compelling Personal Statement or Essays: A strong Statement of Purpose (SOP) or personal essays demonstrating your son’s past experiences, character, and reasons for him aspiring to study at MIT or Stanford University need to be prepared and submitted.

5. Endorsement Letters: As part of the admission procedure, your son will also need to obtain compelling recommendation letters from professors or instructors who can attest to both, his personality and skills.

6. Showcase Extracurricular Achievements: Remember that showcasing one’s extracurricular activities is also a vital part of the application process, thus, I would recommend that your son demonstrates his participation in extracurriculars, highlights his roles as a leader in any event as well as talks about his accomplishments.

7. Submit Standardized Exam Results: As soon as your son receives his SAT result, he should submit the same. Its crucial to achieve high scores as both, Stanford and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) welcome these tests.

8. Appear for Interviews: Keep in mind that certain programs may require your son to appear for interviews as part of the admission procedure. He should be well prepared for the same. I would recommend that he investigates common interview questions and prepares his responses to those queries.

9. Investigate Possible Scholarships and Monetary Assistance Options: Multiple scholarships and financial assistance possibilities are offered by these American universities. I would suggest that your son takes into account the available scholarships and funding alternatives, and applies for the same.

10. Making Applications for External Scholarships: As an answer to your query, I would suggest that your son conducts a comprehensive study on external grant possibilities that provide assistance to international students. These scholarships, with varying eligibility criteria are offered by organizations viz., Rhodes Scholarship, Fulbright, or numerous other groups.

11. Adhere to Application Deadlines: Do not miss out on the application deadlines for both, Stanford and MIT. Submit each university’s application on time.

12. Plan your Finances: Consider the living costs, tuition fees, medical costs, as well as other study abroad expenditures, and plan your finances accordingly.

13. Meet Visa and Immigration Rules: To study in the USA, familiarize yourself with the visa and immigration guidelines. Also, prepare the required paperwork ahead of time.

14. Take into account possible routes: If it is taking a while for your son to secure admission, I would suggest that you take into account other possible routes viz., getting him enrolled in community college transfer courses. This pathway has been opted for by a number of students which has proven to be successful.

15. Acquire Guidance: Meaningful insights and assistance can be provided by study abroad organizations and consultancies to international students who can guide them throughout the application procedure and help them obtain grants or scholarships. I recommend that you get in touch with such consultancies.

In the application, your son should describe his prior school experiences as well as pen down the reasons for him not completing any undergraduate course despite securing admission to three prestigious colleges. In addition, if granted an opportunity, he should throw light on his capacity to grow and succeed. These universities have cut-throat competition for admission. Your son’s opportunities to secure admission and obtain monetary assistance can be boosted through submitting a robust application.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jan 13, 2024

Hello, My son is in his 5th semester at VIT Chennai- pursuing B.Tech- CSE (AI&R). He's currently home till December as they had their fast semester to allow for a window for Internships & some mandatory online courses to complete. My son is interested in pursuing UI UX as his interest & expertise are more in this field and has also obtained many online certifications thereof. I want to give him the freedom to pursue his Masters in the best institutes in this field. We went for an UG in India so that if needed he could go abroad for his Masters; I want to know which institutes are the preferred ones in this line & how do we go about the approach to admissions there. Please suggest a roadmap so that his current time (till December 2023) is utilised well and we have a guidemap of which courses to pursue.
Ans: Hello Mahoe,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am glad to hear that your son is currently pursuing the 5th semester of his Bachelor’s of Technology (B.Tech) degree and is clearly interested in pursuing UI/UX, having already obtained a number of online certifications in this field. I would like to let you know that your son can improve his abilities and be presented with new possibilities through pursuing a Master's degree at an esteemed university. As requested by you, here is a suggested roadmap:

First and foremost, I would recommend that your son conducts an extensive study on leading universities well-regarded for the superior UI/UX design programs they offer. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the Royal College of Art, Carnegie Mellon University, the Interaction Design Foundation, and Stanford University, are among the prominent ones. Next, your son should look into the entry prerequisites set by these universities. These generally entail a robust educational background, a Statement of Purpose, recommendation letters, a portfolio of his work, as well as results of standardized tests viz., the GMAT or GRE. Make sure your son concentrates on keeping a strong GPA throughout, and begins his preparation for any mandatory standardized tests. Remember, a portfolio is a significant element of the application procedure, and your son’s chances of securing admission can be boosted to a great extent with a strong one. Thus, he should continue building an impressive portfolio encompassing case studies, projects, as well as any freelance work that he has undertaken that is related to the field of UI/UX. Collaborating and building connections is vital to the field of UI/UX design. I would suggest that your son connects with online groups, engages in conferences, and gets in touch with industry experts. This is a great way to acquire useful information as well as boost his chances of getting strong recommendations. Its important to stay abreast with the most recent UI/UX resources and innovations, and thus, pointing out any gaps in your son’s skillset and encouraging him to take up further online courses or seminars to fill them proves beneficial. As the next step, with the application deadlines soon approaching, assist your son in drafting a convincing Statement of Purpose that highlights his experiences, enthusiasm, and professional objectives in the field of UI/UX. Keep all the necessary documents including marksheets and recommendation letters ready beforehand. Furthermore, your son should examine the available scholarships and other forms of monetary assistance provided by these universities in the UI/UX field. Lastly, prepare a schedule with all the requirements and due dates he needs to adhere to in order to submit the application. This will aid in seamlessly managing the process and prevent anxiety at the last moment. Stick to this roadmap to boost your son’s chances of securing admission to a leading program in UI/UX design.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Sep 27, 2023

Dear Sushil ji, My husband completed his MBA from IIM dubai in 2009. Right now he is working as an Asst. Manager in a private industry from the last 14years. Now he is ready to make his goal as to study MS in USA by his own money. Now his age is 38years with 14years work experience. Can he apply for the universities in USA. If yes is he required GRE score for january '24 application? Please advice/suggest us. And aslo if yes please suggest which course are helpful for better future..
Ans: Hello D,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am happy to hear about your husband’s plans to pursue an MS in the USA. To answer your question first, considering your husband’s background, having acquired 14 years of professional experience, and even at the age of 38 years, it is indeed possible for him to now apply for MS (Master’s of Science) programs in the United States. Candidates who have acquired different experiences are highly sought-after by a number of universities in the USA. Taking into account this factor, your husband’s MBA degree in 2009 from IIM Dubai, will definitely be a plus point, which I believe, in turn, will definitely make him an invaluable asset. I suggest that you take the below mentioned factors into consideration and then make a final decision:

1. Take into account your husband’s age and years of professional experience:
Your husband’s decision to pursue a Master’s degree in the USA is a wise choice. Although his age may not match the ages of the other candidates opting for a Master’s course, I would like to let you know that having acquired 14 years of professional experience will definitely serve as a plus point in this academic pursuit. Candidates with diverse work experiences having been employed at different companies, are often preferred by the Admissions committees. Your husband’s 14 years of professional experience surely brights to light his level of maturity, unwavering dedication, and the different ways in which he can prove to be a perfect fit for the program he intend pursuing.

2. Researching and Shortlisting Programs:
This is a crucial step in the application process, wherein your husband needs to conduct an extensive study and shortlist programs that align with his interests and academic objectives. Considering his background, I believe, he would surely wish to pursue management, and business-oriented programs or maybe programs in an associated field that matches his abilities. Accordingly, he can look into programs viz., Master of Science in Finance (MSF), Master of Science in Management (MSM), or Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT), etc. I suggest that he selects the perfect program, and for that he will need to investigate universities and the programs they have to offer, and finally select the one that best resonates with his professional ambitions.

3. Appearing for the GRE as a program prerequisite: Addressing your query concerning whether or not your husband would need to appear for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), I would like to inform that you will need to inquire with the specific university and program your husband intends applying for. Each university and program has varying prerequisites. In my opinion, the GRE standardized test may be a necessity while applying for certain programs. On the other hand, considering your husband’s past educational accomplishments and professional experience, other programs may not require him to appear for the GRE. I suggest that he meticulously investigates the entry criteria of the universities and courses he wishes to apply to.

4. Applying to universities and programs: As a part of the application procedure, your husband will need to submit important documents. I recommend that he prepares an excellent application. He will need to submit a compelling Statement of Purpose, endorsement letters from professors and employers who can attest to his academic achievements and character, as well as results of mandatory standardized exams. He should strongly focus on his professional experience and explain how it makes him the perfect fit for the program he intends applying to. I recommend that he begins the application process beforehand.

5. Plan your Finances: I know that studying in the USA is a costly affair, and for that reason, your husband should budget his finances correctly, so as to cover his cost of education, including living and tuition costs, as well as other miscellaneous expenditures. Also, a number of grants, scholarships, and other forms of financial aid, in addition to part-time employment possibilities, are offered by majority of the universities. I recommend that your husband looks into the available assistantships, scholarships etc. as these can help alleviate the high costs of studying.

6. Obtaining a Valid Visa and following Immigration Guidelines: Your husband, on securing admission, will be required to obtain a valid student visa in order to study in USA. An F-1 visa is the required one. I recommend that he conducts an extensive study and prepares for the visa application process.

7. Consider Long-Term Prospects: Your husband should take into account his prospects for the future and understand in what way the Master’s program opted for by him resonates with these prospects. I believe that undertaking internships, career guidance, and building connections while still pursuing his Master’s degree will go a long way in enabling your husband bag employment possibilities upon graduating.

Summarizing the above, I would like to tell you that taking both, your husband’s age and professional experience into account, he is eligible to apply for USA Master’s programs. Nevertheless, I recommend that he conducts a comprehensive research and opt for those courses that best match his aspirations. Not just that, he should also make a compelling application as well as possess a sound financial strategy. I also suggest that he finds out whether or not the particular programs require him to appear for the GRE or not, and that he adheres to other prerequisites for admission if required.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 13, 2023

My son is Btech from IIT delhi having 3 years work experience in a software start up. he wants to pursue MS in computer Science,has Gre score above 350,TOFFLE score above minimum required.He applied last year too but didnt receive any call from Ivy League universities.This year too he will apply what should he do to get admission in good university sanjay
Ans: Hello Sanjay,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am happy to hear about your son’s plans on pursuing Master’s of Science in Computer Science. As an answer to your query, I would like to tell you that your son should follow these recommendations in order to enhance his chances of securing admission to Ivy League universities.

As the first step, your son should make sure to draft a compelling application. This entails submitting a strong Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement that outlines his interest for the field of computer science, his accomplishments as well as his future goals. Not just that, he should also obtain robust endorsement letters from professors or employers who can attest to his character and abilities. As mentioned previously, your son has applied to only Ivy League universities. Remember that outstanding programs in Computer Science are offered by a number of high-class universities. I would suggest that he submits applications to not only Ivy League but rather to a broad variety of universities. In doing so, his chances of obtaining admission offers will be boosted.

Remember that extracurricular activities are an integral part of the application procedure, and thus, I would recommend that in order to showcase his passion for the field of computer science, your son should throw light on extracurriculars or outstanding achievements he has earned. Versatile applicants are often favored by admissions committees. As mentioned above, your son has already appeared for and obtained a GRE score of more than 350. I would say that though this score earned by him is respectable, it might not necessarily meet the criteria to secure admission to Ivy League universities. Earning a robust score can greatly enhance your son’s application, and thus, I would recommend that he re-appear for the GRE examination and strive to achieve a greater score.

When applying to certain universities, your son may be required to appear for interviews as part of the application process. I would recommend that he researches common interview questions and prepares his responses to those queries. If asked for, he should be well prepared to throw light on his past experiences, background, as well as his objectives for the future. Remember that one’s performance in the interview can greatly decide whether he/she secures admission. Your son should show his earlier application to academic advisors or counselors if possible as they would be able to point out areas that require improvement, provide meaningful insights, and guide him better. Lastly, with a number of universities have rolling admissions procedures, I would recommend that your son submits his applications ahead of time.

I would like to point out that although Ivy League universities are well-renowned, several other universities offer outstanding computer science programs that your son can consider applying to. His chances of getting admitted to a reputed program in the field of computer science can be enhanced if he applies to a number of universities.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Dec 30, 2023

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Feb 23, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Dec 13, 2023Translate
Presently I work as Asst VP in formulation R&D and my CTC is 72 lakhs. I have a total of 21 years experience post Ph.D degree. How does my salary compare to pharma industry standards? Is it in line with the industry trend or higher than average or lower?
Ans: Determining whether your salary is in line with industry standards can be influenced by various factors, including your role, responsibilities, the company's size, location, and overall market conditions. However, your current salary of 72 lakhs as an Assistant Vice President in Formulation R&D with 21 years of experience post-Ph.D. seems competitive and well above average for the pharmaceutical industry.

To get a more accurate benchmark, you might consider:

Industry Reports: Explore industry reports and salary surveys specific to the pharmaceutical sector. Organizations like Aon, Mercer, or local industry associations may publish such reports.

Networking: Connect with professionals in similar roles through industry events, LinkedIn, or professional organizations. Discussing compensation trends can provide valuable insights.

Consulting with HR: Speak with your company's HR department to understand how your compensation aligns with the company's salary structure and industry standards.

Job Portals: Check job portals for similar positions in your region to see the salary ranges offered by other companies for comparable roles.

Geographical Considerations: Keep in mind that salaries can vary significantly based on geographical locations. A salary that is competitive in one region may be considered high or low in another.

Market Demand: Assess the demand for professionals in your role. If there is a high demand for individuals with your skill set and experience, it could contribute to a higher salary.

Ultimately, while salary is an important factor, it's also crucial to consider other aspects of your compensation package, such as benefits, bonuses, and opportunities for career growth. If you feel satisfied with your overall package, including non-monetary benefits, and your compensation aligns with your responsibilities and the industry standards, then it's likely that your salary is competitive. If you have specific concerns, discussing them with your HR department or seeking advice from industry professionals can provide more tailored insights.

I am 84 but due to acute financial problems fcg even groceey problems looking for English to Hindi Translation job
Ans: I'm sorry to hear about your challenges. Finding an English to Hindi translation job can be challenging, but there are a few platforms where you can explore opportunities:

Freelance Platforms:

Websites like Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr often have translation projects. You can create a profile and bid on relevant jobs.
Translation Agencies:

Contact translation agencies and offer your services. Many agencies look for experienced translators for various language pairs.
Online Job Portals:

Keep an eye on job portals like Indeed or Naukri, where companies occasionally post translation-related job opportunities.
Language Learning Platforms:

Some language learning apps and websites may also require translation services. Check platforms like Duolingo, Babbel, or Rosetta Stone.
Community Centers:

Local community centers or language learning institutions might have occasional translation needs.
Online Volunteer Platforms:

Consider volunteering your translation services on platforms like Translators without Borders or UN Volunteers.
Networking:

Leverage your network. Inform friends, family, or acquaintances about your skills and let them know you are looking for translation opportunities.
Local Businesses:

Visit local businesses, especially those serving diverse communities, and inquire if they need translation services.
Government Programs:

Some government programs or NGOs may require translation services. Check with local offices or online platforms for opportunities.
Remember, persistence is key. It may take time to find opportunities, but by actively seeking and applying for jobs, you increase your chances of securing a position. Additionally, if you face financial difficulties, you may also want to explore local support services or community programs that could provide assistance. I hope you find a suitable opportunity soon.

What are best way to upskill as a student?
Ans: Upskilling as a student is a valuable investment in your future. Here are some effective ways to upskill:

Online Courses and Certifications:

Platforms like Coursera, edX, Udacity, and Khan Academy offer a wide range of courses on various subjects.
Consider certifications in areas relevant to your field of study or future career.
MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses):

Explore MOOCs from universities and institutions around the world.
They often provide high-quality content for free or at a minimal cost.
Specialized Training Platforms:

Platforms like LinkedIn Learning, Skillshare, and Pluralsight offer courses on specific skills and tools.
These platforms often have tutorials on software, programming languages, design tools, etc.
Internships and Co-op Programs:

Gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs related to your field of study.
Real-world experience can complement theoretical knowledge and enhance your skills.
Networking and Mentorship:

Connect with professionals in your industry through networking events, LinkedIn, or local meetups.
A mentor can provide guidance and share insights into the industry.
Project-Based Learning:

Work on real-world projects to apply your skills.
This hands-on experience can help you build a portfolio that showcases your abilities.
Join Student Organizations:

Participate in relevant clubs or organizations on your campus.
They often provide opportunities for skill development and networking.
Read Industry Publications and Blogs:

Stay updated on industry trends and innovations by reading blogs, journals, and articles.
Subscribe to newsletters or follow influencers in your field.
Soft Skills Development:

Focus on developing soft skills like communication, teamwork, time management, and adaptability.
These skills are crucial for professional success.
Attend Workshops and Conferences:

Attend workshops and conferences to learn from experts and connect with professionals.
These events can provide insights into the latest developments in your field.
Language Learning:

Learn additional languages, especially if they are relevant to your field or if you plan to work internationally.
Self-Assessment and Reflection:

Regularly assess your skills and identify areas for improvement.
Set goals for continuous learning and monitor your progress.
Remember, upskilling is a continuous process, and staying curious and adaptable will serve you well throughout your career. Tailor your upskilling efforts to align with your career goals and the demands of your chosen industry.
Shreya

Shreya Shah  |26 Answers  |Ask -

Nutritionist, Diabetes Educator - Answered on Feb 23, 2024

My partner and I, both under 35, have a combined monthly income of Rs 4.5 lakhs. We aspire to accumulate Rs 15 crores for retirement over the next 25 years. How can we optimize our financial planning to achieve this goal while also preparing for the costs associated with raising a family?
Ans: Aiming for a Rs 15 crore retirement corpus by the age of 60 is a commendable goal, and with careful planning and disciplined saving, it's definitely achievable. Here are some steps you can take to optimise your financial planning:

1. Estimate your retirement needs:

• Inflation: Consider a 7-8% inflation rate to adjust the Rs 15 crore to its future value at your retirement age.
• Lifestyle: Determine your desired retirement lifestyle and estimate monthly expenses.
• Healthcare: Factor in potential medical costs that may increase with age.

2. Analyse your current expenses:

• Track your monthly income and expenses to identify areas where you can save.
• Create a budget that allocates funds for essential needs, savings, and investments.

3. Maximise your savings:

• Increase your SIP contributions: Aim for a monthly investment of at least 50% of your surplus income after expenses.
• Explore various investment options: Diversify your portfolio across equity mutual funds (for long-term growth), debt funds (for stability), and PPF (for tax benefits and guaranteed returns).
• Employer-sponsored plans: Contribute the maximum to your Employee Provident Fund (EPF) and explore voluntary contributions.

4. Optimise your investments:

• Seek professional advice: Consult a certified financial planner for personalised investment recommendations based on your risk tolerance and goals.
• Rebalance your portfolio regularly: Maintain your desired asset allocation to manage risk and optimise returns.

5. Address family planning costs:

• Child planning: Start an SIP in a child plan to accumulate funds for education and other needs.
• Health insurance: Ensure adequate health insurance coverage for yourself, your partner, and any future children. Consider critical illness riders for additional protection.

Remember:

• Early start: Starting early gives your investments more time to grow through compounding.
• Discipline: Consistent saving and investing are crucial for achieving your goals.
• Review and adapt: Regularly review your plan and adjust your investments and savings as your income, expenses, and goals evolve.

Additional tips:

• Explore government schemes like Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana for girl child education and Atal Pension Yojana for retirement income.
• Consider freelancing or side hustles to increase your income.
• Reduce unnecessary expenses and adopt a mindful spending approach.
• Remember, this is a general framework, and consulting a financial advisor can provide personalised guidance based on your specific circumstances.