Chandu

Chandu Nair  |55 Answers  |Ask -

VC, Angel Investing, Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Nov 18, 2023

Chandu Nair advises entrepreneurs and enterprises about creating and building their business.
He has direct experience in angel, venture capital and strategic investor funding. Over the last three decades, he has made a name for himself in industry, consultancy, media and information services.
Nair is on the advisory boards of the Chennai-based private equity firm Fulcrum and the social impact fund, Menterra. He's an independent director on the board of India's first retail building products company, Shankara Building Products Limited.
Asked by Anonymous - Sep 09, 2023Hindi

Hello Sir, My retirement is due in next 4 years but I need money to support my wife treatment and 3 children study.My daughter is in 4th years of BHMS and son is in last year of MBA-Finance and my 3rd child is in 9th class.I am working in PVt Company and doing job as Manager in IT.I am not ease to support my family with existing Salary and I have no other source of income either.I have much interest in English.How can I supplement my income ? Could I do something at home as part time job ? or Could I do any start-up ? Kindly advise. Thanks.

Ans: It looks like you are going through a difficult time. I am sure you have the courage and strength to get through this.
This issue has multiple strands with inadequate information. People who have a second income usually do such things based on their areas of expertise/experience plus their network. Pl do some research before you make any decision.
1) a weekend business/ activity
2) freelance gigs
e.g., tuition, teaching English to working professionals, consulting etc.
I would be cautious about start-ups as it could entail taking on more monetary commitments.

I am 53 years old with a wife and 19 year old son who is studying. I am debt free having own house and another apartment up for sale, after settling aside 40 lakhs for emergency fund child education and marriage, besides this all 3 of us have a mediclaim policy of 25 lakhs each.I have 2 CR as retirement fund from which I want to generate a monthly income of 1.2 lakhs with 7 percent increase every 5 years till survival Please suggest me the options for achieving the goal
Ans: You aim to generate a monthly income of ?1.2 lakhs, with a 7% increase every five years, from a ?2 crore retirement fund.

Evaluating Income Needs and Growth
Monthly Income Requirement: ?1.2 lakhs per month.
Annual Income Requirement: ?14.4 lakhs.
Increase in Income: 7% every five years.
Investment Strategy for Monthly Income
Given your goals, a mix of income-generating investments and growth-oriented funds is ideal.

Safe and Stable Options
1. Senior Citizens' Saving Scheme (SCSS)
Offers quarterly interest payments.
Current interest rate: ~8.2%.
Invest up to ?30 lakhs.
2. Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY)
Provides a regular pension.
Current interest rate: ~7.4%.
Invest up to ?15 lakhs per senior citizen.
3. Fixed Deposits (FDs) in Banks or Post Office
Offers stable returns.
Current interest rate: 6-7%.
Can ladder FDs for different maturities.
Balanced and Growth Options
1. Balanced or Hybrid Mutual Funds
Mix of equity and debt.
Potential annual returns: 8-10%.
Suitable for regular withdrawals through Systematic Withdrawal Plans (SWP).
2. Dividend-Paying Stocks or Equity Mutual Funds
Provides growth and dividend income.
Choose blue-chip companies with a strong dividend history.
Can help hedge against inflation.
3. Debt Mutual Funds
Invest in government and corporate bonds.
More stable than equity but lower returns.
Potential annual returns: 6-8%.
Structuring the Portfolio
1. Emergency Fund and Immediate Needs (?40 lakhs)
Keep this in liquid or short-term instruments.
Ensure easy accessibility and low risk.
2. Income Generation (?1.6 crores)
SCSS and PMVVY: Invest ?45 lakhs (?30 lakhs in SCSS and ?15 lakhs in PMVVY).
This generates regular, stable income.
Fixed Deposits and Debt Funds: Allocate ?55 lakhs.
Ladder FDs and invest in short to medium-term debt funds.
Balanced Mutual Funds and Dividend-Paying Stocks: Allocate ?60 lakhs.
Use SWPs for regular income.
Ensuring Inflation Adjustment
To ensure your income increases by 7% every five years, invest a portion in growth-oriented assets.

1. Equity Mutual Funds
Allocate part of the portfolio to equity mutual funds for growth.
Use SWP to withdraw profits.
2. Rebalance Periodically
Review the portfolio every year.
Adjust allocations based on performance and income needs.
Implementing the Plan
Start with Stable Instruments: Set up SCSS, PMVVY, and FDs for immediate income needs.
Allocate for Growth: Invest in balanced funds and dividend stocks for long-term growth.
Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): Use SWP from mutual funds for regular income.
Monitor and Rebalance: Regularly review and adjust your portfolio.
With a diversified portfolio, combining stable income instruments and growth-oriented investments, you can achieve your retirement income goals. Regular monitoring and adjustments will ensure you stay on track.

I shall retire at 50.. in another 3 months. With a retirement corpus of 4.5 Cr from all sources and only kids education and marriage responsibility. Pl advise investment in sep/debt etc to generate a monthly running income of 1.5 lacs and to take care of kids.. son 18 years and daughter 15 years now.
Ans: Congratulations on your impending retirement! Let's create a comprehensive investment plan to ensure a steady monthly income of 1.5 lakhs to cover your expenses and provide for your children's education and marriage.

Portfolio Allocation Strategy
Given your retirement corpus of 4.5 crores, let's strategize the allocation of your assets across various investment avenues to generate a sustainable monthly income while preserving capital and managing risk effectively.

Equity Allocation: Allocate a portion of your portfolio to equity investments for long-term growth potential and inflation protection. Consider diversified equity mutual funds, index funds, or blue-chip stocks with a focus on dividend-paying companies.

Debt and Fixed Income: Allocate a significant portion of your portfolio to debt instruments like corporate bonds, government securities, and fixed deposits to provide stability and generate regular income. Explore options like Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS) and Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS) for steady cash flow.

Monthly Income Generation
Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): Utilize a systematic withdrawal plan from your investment portfolio to generate a steady monthly income stream. Determine the withdrawal rate based on your financial needs, risk tolerance, and investment horizon.

Dividend Income: Focus on investing in dividend-paying stocks and mutual funds to supplement your monthly income with regular dividend payouts.

Children's Education and Marriage Planning
Education Funds: Set aside a portion of your monthly income for your children's education expenses, including tuition fees, books, and extracurricular activities. Consider opening education-specific investment accounts like Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) for your daughter's education and Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs) in mutual funds for long-term wealth accumulation.

Marriage Fund: Start building a separate fund for your children's marriage expenses by allocating a portion of your monthly income towards investments with a medium to long-term horizon. Explore options like debt mutual funds, fixed deposits, and recurring deposits for this purpose.

Regular Portfolio Review and Adjustments
Ongoing Monitoring: Regularly review your investment portfolio's performance, income generation, and overall financial health. Make necessary adjustments to your asset allocation and investment strategy based on changing market conditions, personal goals, and life events.

Professional Guidance: Consider seeking advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) or financial advisor to help you navigate retirement planning, investment management, and financial goal achievement effectively.

With a carefully crafted investment plan and strategic allocation of your retirement corpus, you can achieve your goal of generating a monthly running income of 1.5 lakhs to cover your expenses and fulfill your responsibilities towards your children's education and marriage. By prioritizing stability, income generation, and long-term growth, you can enjoy a financially secure and fulfilling retirement.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 22, 2024

Is master degree in physiotherapy from Canada along with bachelor degree in physiotherapy enough to settle in canada

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. As an answer to your query, I would like to tell you that to settle in Canada, a master’s degree in physiotherapy from Canada along with a bachelor's degree in physiotherapy can be sufficient. You would be glad to know that degrees earned from Canada can improve your eligibility for immigration and employment substantially. Physiotherapy being a licensed profession in Canada, I would like to tell you that you will require to get your credentials recognised by the regulatory agency in the province or territory you intend working in. This frequently entails an evaluation of your education and potentially taking additional tests, or acquiring professional experience in Canada.

Moreover, obtaining a master’s degree from a university in Canada can also assist you with the Express Entry immigration system, by raising your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, thereby, enhancing your chances of being invited to submit an application for permanent residency (PR). Furthermore, your resume can be further strengthened by adding work experience acquired in Canada via post-graduate work permits. Hence, your academic background coupled with fulfilling regulatory and immigration standards can help you settle in Canada.

For more information, you can visit our website: www.edwiseinternational.com

You can also follow us on our Instagram page: edwiseint

Should I join Bennett University
Ans: Hello Hitesh,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. To answer your question first, I would like to tell you that your academic and professional objectives, as well as your personal choices play a key role in deciding whether to join Bennett University. Founded by the Times of India Group, Bennett University, is renowned for its strong focus on entrepreneurship, innovation, and industry-focused education. I would like to let you know that a vast array of undergraduate and postgraduate programs with state-of-the-art infrastructure, knowledgeable teachers, as well as partnerships with international organizations are offered by this university. Not just that, Bennett University boasts a strong placement record and emphasizes on overall development via a range of extracurricular activities.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that you take into account variables viz., the location, educational offerings, experience of the faculty members, and campus amenities. You should also compare it with other universities you are interested in, in terms of academic standing, career assistance, and student feedback. Lastly, in order to acquire more knowledge and assist in making an educated choice, I would recommend that you visit the campus, speak to students presently studying there, and participate in informational sessions.

Sir my daughter is in grade 9.Can you please suggest some preparation strategy for iit-jee .Which is the best online coaching for iit-jee foundation for grade 9.
Ans: Prefer ALLEN Online Coaching Classes. AhaGuru is another Better Option, if fees of Allen is More. However, If you join AhaGURU, join just Allen's Online Test Series also to practice questions online. Go to both Website, check & choose more suitable one for you.

NOW Coming to Preparation Strategies:

(1) Whenever you study at home, study for 45-minutes. Then take a break of 10-minutes when you can move away from your study table, walk, have some water & relax. If you continue studying beyond 45-minutes, your concentration power will go down, resulting to low output. Most students commit this mistake. (2) On daily basis (morning or evening whichever will be convenient to you), do yoga or meditation or physical exercises or play any games / sports for at least 30-45 minutes. This will further reduce your stress / distractions. (3) Study tough topics / tough subjects (applicable to you) early morning with your fresh mind. (4) Eat a lot of green vegetables / fruits which you can afford for & Avoid soft drinks (5) Every day night, before going to bed, revise whatever you have studied during the day. (6) Also, revise every week whatever you have covered till date (here your short-notes which you should prepare will be helpful). (7) Keep practising questions on topics which you have covered either offline or online (8) Give utmost importance to wrongly answered / difficult / complicated / tough questions and have a separate note-book specially for this for each subject (PCM) (8) You might be aware that JEE rank is allotted on the basis of highest score in Maths, followed by Physics & Chemistry. Practice more and more in Maths, till you reach Speed & Accuracy (9) By the end of 9th/10th/11th/12th standard (December-January), attempt fully syllabus online test series, evaluate and analyse your performance such as, (a) which topic / unit / concept you are weak which needs your revision and improvement as this will disturb you when you appear in actual JEE exam (b) abnormal time taken to attempt any question which you can come to know from Online Test Series which you should reduce (c) which questions you skipped and why? (10) Please AVOID studying under pressure that you should get admission only into IITs/ NITs. Never advisable. Any one can be successful, even if he / she studies in NON-IIT / NON-NIT Colleges also. (11) Have Plan B & Plan C for other Colleges Entrance Exams / Disciplines-Streams. (11) Avoid comparing yourself with other students. (12) Also, it is highly ideal to appear in / attempt minimum 5-Entrance Exams (for both Govt & Private Engineering Colleges). You will have a lot of options (easiest method) to choose the best and most suitable one, keeping in view a lot of factors such as, College | Location | Your Interest | Stream Preference | Placement Records | College Culture | Your Short & Long Term Goals | Pressure You Can Go Through | Your AIR & Job Market Condition when you apply for your BTech & Even after. I hope I have answered to your question with value additions.

All the BEST for your Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please Ask / Follow me in RediffGURU here.