Career Coach  |42 Answers  |Ask -

Workplace Expert - Answered on Mar 12, 2024

I failed a job interview for the 4th time this year. I am feeling very embarrassed to face my wife who is earning better than me. She has been single handedly taking care of the family and our kids for over a year now. I an MBA with 7 years of wok experience but I lost my job in COVID and have been struggling in my career doing odd freelancing and consulting jobs. I have no money to start a business. I am trying hard to get a job where I can showcase my skills and get a permanent source of income. What should I do to improve my chances of getting a job? Pls suggest something

Ans: I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing in your job search. It's understandable to feel discouraged after multiple rejections, but it's important to remember that setbacks are a natural part of the job-seeking process, especially during difficult times like the COVID-19 pandemic.

Here are some steps you can take to improve your chances of securing a job:

1. Reflect on past interviews: Take some time to reflect on your previous job interviews. Identify any patterns or recurring issues that might be contributing to your rejections. Are there specific skills or experiences employers are looking for that you might be lacking? Are there areas of your interview performance that you could improve upon?

2. Update your resume and LinkedIn profile: Make sure your resume and LinkedIn profile are up-to-date and tailored to the types of roles you're applying for. Highlight your relevant skills, experiences, and achievements that demonstrate your value to potential employers.

3. Expand your job search: Don't limit yourself to just one industry or type of role. Consider exploring opportunities in related fields or industries where your skills and experience could be transferable. Cast a wider net in your job search to increase your chances of finding suitable opportunities.

4. Networking: Reach out to your professional network for support and advice. Attend industry events, job fairs, and networking meetups to connect with professionals in your field. Networking can often lead to valuable job opportunities that may not be advertised publicly.

5. Skill development: Consider investing time in developing new skills or upgrading existing ones that are in demand in your target industry. Online courses, certifications, or workshops can help you stay competitive in today's job market.

6. Practice interview skills: Practice interviewing with friends, family members, or a career coach to improve your interview skills and build confidence. Mock interviews can help you refine your responses to common interview questions and better articulate your qualifications and experiences.

7. Stay positive and resilient: Job searching can be challenging, especially during tough times. Stay positive and resilient in the face of rejection. Remember that each rejection brings you one step closer to finding the right opportunity. Stay focused on your goals and keep pushing forward.

8. Consider temporary or contract work: In the meantime, consider taking on temporary or contract work to generate income and gain valuable experience while continuing your job search. Temporary assignments can sometimes lead to permanent job opportunities and help you expand your professional network.

9. Seek support: Don't hesitate to seek support from your wife, family, or friends during this challenging time. Open up to them about your struggles and lean on them for emotional support and encouragement.

Remember that your worth is not defined by your job title or salary. Stay focused on your strengths, continue to persevere, and keep working towards your goals. With determination and effort, you'll eventually find the right opportunity that aligns with your skills and aspirations.

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Jul 04, 2023

hi Abhishek , i am having 22+ year experience and working as a software delivery head, but salary is like nothing, so what is to do to get good salary job, even i have a good knowledge also, but not able to get the job, and due to this my marriage is also not happening, i got divorce in 2007, but since that i am not able to do the 2nd marriage, i am trying and not able to get the 2nd marriage, so can you please guide please.
Ans: Hello Sunil,

I understand that you're experiencing difficulties in finding a job with a good salary despite having over 22 years of experience as a software delivery head. I can provide you with some suggestions that may help you in your job search and personal life:

Update your resume: Make sure your resume highlights your extensive experience, achievements, and skills. Tailor it to each job application, emphasizing relevant accomplishments.

Networking: Connect with professionals in your industry through networking events, online platforms, and professional associations. Building relationships and seeking referrals can increase your chances of finding job opportunities.

Job search platforms: Utilize popular job search platforms and websites specific to your industry. Regularly check these platforms for new job openings and apply to positions that match your skills and experience.

Stay updated: Keep yourself updated with the latest industry trends, technologies, and certifications. Attend conferences, workshops, and webinars to enhance your knowledge and stay competitive in the job market.

Polish your interviewing skills: Practice common interview questions and prepare your responses. Highlight your achievements and how your skills align with the requirements of the job you're applying for.

Consider contract work or consulting: Explore opportunities for contract work or consulting gigs, as they often offer higher rates and can lead to permanent positions or other opportunities.

Professional development: Identify any gaps in your skills and consider taking courses or certifications to update your knowledge. This demonstrates your commitment to professional growth and can make you more marketable.

Regarding your personal life and desire for a second marriage, it's important to prioritize your emotional well-being and self-care. Here are a few suggestions:

Reflect and heal: Take time to reflect on your past relationship and the reasons for the divorce. Seek closure and consider therapy or counseling if needed to heal and move forward.

Focus on personal growth: Engage in activities that bring you joy, pursue hobbies, and invest in self-improvement. Cultivate your interests and passions, which can make you more confident and attractive to potential partners.

Expand your social circle: Participate in social activities, join clubs or groups related to your interests, and attend events where you can meet new people. Expanding your social circle increases the likelihood of meeting someone compatible.

Online dating: Consider using online dating platforms to connect with potential partners. Be honest about your intentions and take the time to get to know people before committing to a serious relationship.

Seek professional help if needed: If you're struggling emotionally or finding it challenging to move forward, consider seeking guidance from a therapist or relationship counselor. They can provide support and assist you in navigating your personal journey.

Remember, finding a job with a good salary and a fulfilling personal life takes time and perseverance. Stay positive, believe in your abilities, and keep working towards your goals.

Regards,
Abhishek Shah

Archana

Archana Deshpande  |45 Answers  |Ask -

Image Coach, Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Mar 06, 2024

I am a 23 year old BTech graduate from Mumbai, jobless since a year now. I have applied to several jobs and attended 12 interviews in the last 3 months. Either the HR doesn't call or there is no feedback at all. I am feeling very low and dejected. I want to know if there is anything I can do to improve myself and get a job soon. How can I boost my self-confidence and self-worth? Pls help
Ans: Hi!! You are still young and it's just the beginning for you, don't feel dejected pls. There is always something to learn from a rejection ,be supremely self aware and be aware of the interviewer ,read other's body language and master your own body language to give out the right messages. See if you can learn interview skills form an expert. Make notes after every interview, rate yourself on-
1. your confidence level( the first impression you gave, your clothing, your shoes, how you entered the room, everything makes a difference)
2. the answers you gave
3. interviewer's reaction to your answers
4. how truthful and honest you were
5. was this better than your last interview
(you can keep adding to your list)
The only way to boost your self confidence and self worth is to believe that you are worthy of all good things in the world. Give yourself lot of self love, there are talents in you which no other person has, look for that! Look at yourself in the mirror every morning, affirm all the things you want in yourself and for yourself!!Just google " self affirmations" and make your own list of affirmations... ....give yourself lot of positive strokes throughout the day, be your best cheer leader, pat yourself on the back for every good act. All the best...remember to be your best cheer leader!!