Ashwini

Ashwini Dasgupta  |47 Answers  |Ask -

Personality Development Expert, Career Coach - Answered on Aug 01, 2023

Ashwini Dasgupta is a personality development coach and a neuro-linguistic programming trainer.
She has 15 years of experience training corporate professionals and has worked at Amazon, JP Morgan, Nomura and Satyam among others.
As a career coach, Ashwini specialises in helping growth-minded IT corporate managers develop their self-worth and create the right mindset so that they can achieve their career goals.
Besides corporate training, she offers personal consultations as well.
Ashwini holds a master’s degree in human resources from the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai, and is a certified NLP trainer from the National Federation of NeuroLinguistic Programming, USA.
She has completed her soft skills training and image consultancy course from the Image Consulting Business Institute, Mumbai
Vinod Question by Vinod on Aug 01, 2023Translate

I have been employed in Nepal , am I considered NRI if I stay in nepal for more than 182 days ? I go to nepal thru immigration from airport and have Nepal PAN and as indians dont need work visa in nepal but registration in indian embassy I too have same .

Ans: Dear Vinod,

Thank you for writing.

I will be able to help with the generic viewpoint. I will recommend you to reach out to a Tax/ Legal and understand in depth. There are experts in these areas you could speak to.

From the last update on September 2021 as per the definition cited by the experts- an NRI (Non-Resident Indian) is generally defined as an Indian citizen who is residing outside India for employment, business, or any other purpose that indicates an intention to stay abroad for an indefinite period. However, the specific criteria for being considered an NRI can vary based on the laws and regulations of the Indian government, particularly with regard to taxation and other legal aspects. To determine your residency status for tax purposes and other legal matters, you should refer to the Income Tax Act of India and consult with a qualified tax professional or legal expert. Also, note the tax laws and regulations are subject to change hence speak to the expert in this area and get the understanding.

Hope this helps. All the very best

To Your Success. Be You. Be Confident
Thanks and Regards
Ashwini Dasgupta
Author of Confidence Decoded. Is it a Skill or Attitude?

Anil

Anil Rego  |330 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Jan 28, 2021

Tax Expert - Answered on Nov 17, 2022

I am staying in India from around 4 years and working as a consultant in a Mexican Company (previously I was residing there, but now working from India) and getting income from Mexico. I am also paying tax on my abroad income I am getting in my NRO/ NRE account with Axis Bank. I want to know if I am an NRI or Resident Indian? Whether, I can open Mutual Fund account with NRI status or Resident India status? What will be the tax implications? Please guide me as I am not getting proper explanation.
Ans: Based on available details, you seem to be resident and ordinary resident for income tax purpose.

You can always check status at calculator provided at income tax website (external link)

Accordingly, you should inform bank about change in residential status immediately and change the type of account (NRO/NRE Account).

Also you have to open account as resident for MF and tax implications will arise at the time of transfer of mutual fund units. Tax rate will depend on type of fund (equity based or debt based) and period of holding.

Mutual funds whose portfolio’s equity exposure exceeds 65% are equity funds.

Equity funds held for 12 months or more are considered as long term, whereas it is 36 months in case of debt funds.

Short term equity funds are taxed at 15% and debt funds are taxed at slab rate.

Long term equity funds are taxed at 10% (if capital gains of exceeds Rs 1 lakh) and debt funds are taxed at 20% after indexation.

Patrick

Patrick Dsouza  |57 Answers  |Ask -

CAT, XAT, CMAT, CET Expert - Answered on Feb 23, 2024

Workplace Expert - Answered on Feb 23, 2024

Hello Sir, Don't disclose my name, I am working in boarding school from last 2 year's, last year principal changed and he is giving lot of work (harassing staff ) so around 50% of staff left the school. he is not appointing new staff also. hardly 2-3 staff he has appointed. In my department 3 staff ware there now I am alone, he is not appointing any one, so I am alone handling all the classes. he has increased the work also. So I decided to leave the work and I got the work also. I have sent my resignation letter through mail. In my appointment letter they have mentioned “During the probation period your service may be terminated by ONE MONTH NOTICE on “either side or Salary in lieu of notice” and The relieving date in all circumstances will not be earlier than the last day of the academic year unless the school terminates. if you are working on any assignment when you tender your resignation such assignment must be completed to the satisfaction of the school before your services will be released. As allocation of subject teaching is a duty allocated for the academic year the reliving date will not be earlier than the last date of the academic year in which the resignation is tender. The school does not encourage mid term session dis continuation of services. School academic year will ends in April. At the time of appointment they have taken all my original certificates. But when I sent my resignation with one month notice period they replied as per your request, you will be relived after the completion of required formalities and work as per service rules. But, yet they are not mentioning what are the work to complete. After one month notice period immediately I have to join my new job. otherwise i will miss my opportunity. orally simply they are extending my date. At present they have extended 15 days after my last day of my notice period. kindly guide me how to solve the problem, get back my originals and join my new job smoothly. Regards
Ans: Please consult a lawyer