Home > Career > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Chocko Valliappa  |293 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Entrepreneur, Educationist - Answered on May 09, 2024

Chocko Valliappa is the founder and CEO of Vee Technologies, a global IT services company; HireMee, a talent assessment and talent management start-up; and vice chairman of The Sona Group of education institutions.
A fourth-generation entrepreneur, Valliappa is a member of Confederation of Indian Industry, Nasscom, Entrepreneurs Organization and Young Presidents’ Organization.
He was honoured by the YPO with their Global Social Impact award in 2018.
An alumnus of Christ College, Bangalore, Valliappa holds a degree in textile technology and management from the South India Textile Research Association. His advanced research in the Czech Republic led to the creation of innovative polyester spinning machinery.... more
Asked by Anonymous - Apr 27, 2024Hindi

Hi i completed my btech in civil engineering in 2012 and masters in2014 initially I was working in teaching field upto 2017 every thing went on well due to delay in salary ishifted job to site engineer till now I'm facing lot of problems in my job weither be my mistake of pressure from superiors I'married and have a kid im willing to change job but couldn't change because of job unavailability I m will to go software filed what should I do im not able to understand pls help

Ans: it is easy natural for many of us to get disheartened but the success comes to those who keep trying optimistically at life as a glass half full. Civil Engineering is the foundational engineering discipline and lends itself to use of new tools and technologies through use of of software to build structures using design elements that use newer materials to build infrastructure, homes, industrial townships that further sustainability. Look that gaining software skills used in Civil Engg field to add value to your current job. Look at acquiring project management skills and explore opportunities with optimism and passion.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Maxim Emmanuel  |242 Answers  |Ask -

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on May 02, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Apr 20, 2024Hindi
Sir, I am 27 years old, Single. Its been 2 years + I am doing private 3 years project contractual job this contractual job.its going to complete in Dec 31st 2024. I gave Ctet teacher exam but i failed 3 time. But i m not focusing in State tet so, i want focus but in market lots of content and i dont have gude what shall i do. I am not happy with my current job. This job changes me alot in my caracter now, i cant sleep properly because if this job will finished what shall i do, till yet i have not creck any exam. And if i go in market i started to forgot ex:- After giving money i forgot to take back, after giving money i forgot to take things sometime. My age also gainig if want to marry so, i have earned money or save money i have to bear all expenses because my parents financially poor if I want save, same time i need to look my younger brother study expenses i need to bear and family running mantainance and also have EMI loans need to pay and also i am helping my parents to build their house with my own money my parents does not have money for my marriage. Now i have overthinking, depression, fear, feeling lossing confident, my dream job also get critical in this situation what shall i do. In office also staff try to polling down because i am getting higher salary what shall i do. For this reason just resently my health conditions because worse my pressure 139 felt vomit feel dizzy. What shall I do now Sir.
Ans: I have gone through your query and understand that you are at the Cross roads of Life.

It's at these times... When the going gets tough... The tough gets gong.
That's your strength.. A tough resilient young lady!
Kindly note you are doing an excellent job hence rewarded with better pay in your organization.. Obviously there's going to be jealousy..Be calm & Handle it with maturity.

Now I understand you are very committed selfless person. Who's contributing a lot to your family,... Wow in fact helping build your own new house. !

In regards to your contractual job, talk to your employer, let them know, that you would have to look for another job post December 2024 if there's no clear further commitment.

In regard to your marriage at 27 you aren't too old to find a like minded partner don't rush and regret, start the process through matrimonial apps.

I see you talk about your health, especially blood pressure, well that's because you are unduly stressed.
Add tender coconut water to your diet, talk to a proper Ayurvedic doctor..!

I am sure you will get over this mid life syndrome and invite us all for your happy day!

..Read more


Chocko Valliappa  |293 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Entrepreneur, Educationist - Answered on May 09, 2024

Sir i am a civil engineer graduate 2023 i did my graduation in civil engineering from a tire 2 -3 college from mumbai university . I didn’t get any job its not like that i am dum student or else i was not good at studies u definitely found partility that in civil they took all diploma + degree holders with less knowledge also in companies such a worley , godrej , technimont etc mnc companies with salary of 6-7 lpa but sir i was scattered because i lost my dad in covid my mom is working but her salary is just 50k and now after trying out for jobs as fresher i found a job in IIT bombay as project technical assistant which gives me 30k but its in ocean department. Now i want to learn further i am seeing people doing masters from priavte university like nicmar adani symbiosis etc in construction or infrastructure management. I am stuck jn life what to do im trying for government but i know government junior engineers job wont pay me much to buy home for my mom . In such case what will be best please help
Ans: I fully empathize with your situation. Do focus on the positive of having completed BTech in Civil Engineering. Civil Engineering is the foundational engineering discipline and lends itself to use of new tools and technologies through use of of software to build structures using design elements that use newer materials to build infrastructure, homes, industrial townships that further sustainability. Use your current Tech Asstt job to learn about Oceanography as an added skills. Look at acquiring project management skills and explore opportunities with optimism and passion.

..Read more

Nayagam P

Nayagam P P  |325 Answers  |Ask -

Career Counsellor - Answered on May 31, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - May 16, 2024Hindi
Sir ,I have been preparing for government exams since 2018 June firstly I prepare for gate in 2019 with college semester in 2019 gate result I.e, 2019 March I qualify with 46 marks that's somehow good score that time for me because I prepare with self study due to over confidence and lack of family income I didn't join coaching and started preparing for UPSC engineering services with full dedication at the age of 20.5 in 2019 eligible for ese 2020 with 21 yr age somehow I got 150 around marks and didn't qualify prelims that time cut off around 240 due to railway has taken his seats so UR cut off increase by 60 which is 188 last in 2019 ese so I got in depression that I prepare with full dedication and even I have a gap of 100 marks in prelims so somehow I came to home in june 2020 after a huge gap of depression in 4,5 months in delhi and started for gate and ese again same condition I couldn't even qualify prelims and got covid in 2021 and from that 2021 I joined UNACADEMY work 1.5 yrs and again I started preparation due to less salary now I have a gap of 5 years no masters degree no industrial skillls and family income less than 20k per month what should I do go and search for civil engineering related job or build a confidence and again prepare one more attempt
Ans: I have gone through the details of your Efforts, Failures, Depression & Your family’s Economic condition.

Based on the above factors, here are the suggestions for you:

1) Till your age bars, try to attempt other comparatively easier (than UPSC) Competitive Exams for Government Jobs & prepare daily for 2-3 hours before & after you come back from work.

2) But AVOID attempting those Competitive Exams which you have already done a number of times and failed. Lack of change in preparation strategies / change in Govt. Policy are the reasons for your subsequent failures.

3) Keeping in view your family’s economic condition & your AGE now, it is suggested to DEFINITELY go for any work, related to your domain, to support your family.

4) Try to upgrade your skills by joining short-term courses with any Institute, related to your domain (or) any other domain you are passionate over. However, make sure that the Institute you join provides JOB GUARANTEE after you complete the Course. Or you can join any ONLINE Courses which are much in demand in job-market.

5) If time does not permit for you to prepare for Competitive Exams & if you feel you are highly demotivated for Govt. Exams, it is advisable for you to fully FOCUS on your Career, related to Civil Engineering & gain good experience.

Hope I have clarified your doubts.

If you need any other clarifications or have questions for anyone, post your questions (in detail) to me and/or follow me here in RediffGURU for more useful information on ‘Careers / Education / Jobs’.

All The BEST for your Bright Future from RediffGURU.

Nayagam PP
CERTIFIED Career Coach | Career Guru

..Read more

Latest Questions

Ramalingam Kalirajan  |3712 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds, Financial Planning Expert - Answered on Jun 13, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jun 13, 2024Hindi
Hi. Can my mother of two sons get her will registered for a residential property with half share each for both her Sons. Now the property was registered in mother's name in year 2000 for 15 lacs. A loan was taken by the younger son for 12 lacs to finance the property. This loan was in due course paid off. Now mother in present situation is aged and wants to will her property equally to both her sons. Can she go ahead with registered will. Also what other documentation needs to be done so that there is no dispute in future among brothers.
Ans: Yes, your mother can get her will registered for the residential property, allocating half share to each of her sons. This process involves several steps to ensure that the will is legally valid and that there are no disputes in the future.

Steps to Register the Will
Drafting the Will: The will should clearly state her intention to divide the property equally between both sons. It should include specific details about the property, such as its location, registration details, and any other pertinent information.

Appointment of Executors: Your mother should appoint one or more executors in her will. Executors are responsible for carrying out the terms of the will. It is advisable to choose trustworthy and impartial executors.

Witnesses: The will must be signed by your mother in the presence of at least two witnesses who are not beneficiaries in the will. The witnesses must also sign the will, confirming that they saw her sign it.

Registration of the Will: Although not mandatory, registering the will with the local sub-registrar’s office is highly recommended. This provides a legal safeguard against future disputes. The process involves:

Visiting the local sub-registrar’s office.
Submitting the will along with required documents (proof of identity, proof of residence, etc.).
Paying the registration fee.
The sub-registrar will then record and register the will.
Additional Documentation and Steps to Prevent Future Disputes
To further ensure there are no disputes in the future, consider the following additional steps:

Family Settlement Agreement: If both sons agree, your mother can draft a family settlement agreement. This agreement can state that both sons have agreed to the equal division of the property and that they will respect the terms of the will. This should be signed by all parties involved and can be notarized for added legal strength.

Declaration of No Objection: Both sons can sign a No Objection Certificate (NOC) stating they have no objections to the property being divided equally as per their mother’s will. This can be attached to the will or kept as a separate

Consulting a Lawyer: It is advisable to consult with a property lawyer to ensure that all legal formalities are correctly followed. The lawyer can help draft the will, the family settlement agreement, and the NOC to ensure they are legally binding.

Updating Property Records: Once the will is registered, ensure that the property records reflect your mother’s ownership clearly. This will prevent any claims of ownership or legal complications in the future.

Informing Family Members: Make sure that all family members, especially the beneficiaries, are aware of the will and its contents. Transparency can often prevent misunderstandings and disputes.

Your mother can proceed with registering her will to divide her property equally between her two sons. The will must be drafted properly, witnessed, and ideally registered with the sub-registrar’s office. Additional steps, such as a family settlement agreement and a No Objection Certificate, can provide further assurance that there will be no disputes in the future.

By following these steps and seeking professional legal advice, your mother can ensure her wishes are respected and that her sons can receive their shares without any legal complications.

Best Regards,

K. Ramalingam, MBA, CFP,

Chief Financial Planner,


...Read more


Ramalingam Kalirajan  |3712 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds, Financial Planning Expert - Answered on Jun 13, 2024

Hello sir, I am a 41 year old, have a dependend wife and 10 yr old daughter. I have a monthly income of 2.20 lakh in hand, 1 lakhs in equity stocks, 15 lakhs in MF lumpsum, 10 lakh in FD and 7 lakh in NSC. I pay 35,000 for SIP monthly, pay PPF 10,000 monthly, pay 5,000 monthly for NPS and pay SSY for daughter 12,000 monthly and PPF for wife 12,000 monthly. How should i plan my retirement corpus?? Is it enough or shall i invest more?? I want to plan retirement at the age of 52.
Ans: Planning for Retirement: A Comprehensive Guide

Assessing Your Current Financial Position

You have shared valuable details about your current financial situation. It is evident that you have a strong foundation with various investments and savings. This shows a commendable level of financial discipline and foresight. Your monthly income is Rs 2.20 lakh, and you have significant investments in different financial instruments. Let's break down your current investments:

Equity Stocks: Rs 1 lakh
Mutual Funds (MF) Lumpsum: Rs 15 lakh
Fixed Deposit (FD): Rs 10 lakh
National Savings Certificate (NSC): Rs 7 lakh
Monthly SIP: Rs 35,000
Public Provident Fund (PPF): Rs 10,000
National Pension System (NPS): Rs 5,000
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) for your daughter: Rs 12,000
PPF for your wife: Rs 12,000
This diversified portfolio shows a balanced approach, combining equity, fixed income, and government-backed savings schemes. Each investment has a role to play in your overall financial plan.

Setting Retirement Goals

Planning for retirement is essential, especially when you aim to retire early at the age of 52. This gives you 11 more years to build a robust retirement corpus. The key to a successful retirement plan is to estimate your future needs and ensure your investments align with those needs.

Your current lifestyle and expenses will impact your retirement needs. You need to consider inflation, medical expenses, and lifestyle changes post-retirement. It's crucial to have a clear vision of the lifestyle you wish to maintain during retirement.

Evaluating Existing Investments

Let's evaluate the efficiency of your current investments:

Equity Stocks: You have Rs 1 lakh in equity stocks. Equity investments are crucial for long-term growth. However, individual stock investments can be volatile and risky. It’s essential to diversify and periodically review your stock portfolio.

Mutual Funds (MF): You have Rs 15 lakh in mutual funds and contribute Rs 35,000 monthly through SIPs. Mutual funds are an excellent choice for diversification and professional management. Actively managed funds often outperform passive funds, as fund managers can adapt to market changes.

Fixed Deposit (FD): With Rs 10 lakh in FDs, you have a secure, low-risk investment. However, the returns may not keep pace with inflation. It’s essential to balance FDs with higher-yield investments.

National Savings Certificate (NSC): Rs 7 lakh in NSCs provides guaranteed returns and tax benefits. However, like FDs, the returns may not beat inflation.

Public Provident Fund (PPF): You contribute Rs 10,000 monthly to PPF. PPF offers tax benefits and a decent interest rate, making it a good long-term investment.

National Pension System (NPS): Contributing Rs 5,000 monthly to NPS is a smart move for retirement planning. NPS provides market-linked returns with an added tax benefit.

Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY): Rs 12,000 monthly towards SSY for your daughter is an excellent choice. SSY offers high interest rates and is a secure investment for her future.

PPF for Wife: Contributing Rs 12,000 monthly to PPF for your wife is beneficial. It ensures her financial security with tax benefits.

Assessing Future Needs

To plan your retirement corpus effectively, we need to assess your future needs. Consider the following factors:

Living Expenses: Estimate your current monthly expenses and adjust for inflation to project future expenses.
Healthcare: Anticipate higher medical costs as you age.
Lifestyle Goals: Consider travel, hobbies, or any new pursuits you plan to enjoy post-retirement.
Daughter’s Education and Marriage: Ensure you allocate funds for your daughter's higher education and marriage.
Projecting Retirement Corpus

Based on your future needs, we can project the retirement corpus required. Without specific calculations, let's outline the steps:

Estimate Monthly Expenses: Consider your current expenses and project them with an annual inflation rate.
Account for Medical Costs: Healthcare costs typically increase with age.
Consider Lifestyle Changes: Factor in any new activities or travel plans.
Include Contingencies: Always have a buffer for unexpected expenses.
Once you have a monthly expense estimate, multiply it by the number of years you expect to live post-retirement. This gives a rough estimate of the required corpus.

Enhancing Your Investment Strategy

Given your current investments and goals, let’s explore how to enhance your strategy:

Increase Equity Exposure: Considering your long-term horizon, increasing exposure to equity mutual funds can provide higher returns. Actively managed funds, with professional fund managers, can help achieve better performance compared to index funds.

Review and Rebalance Portfolio: Regularly review your portfolio to ensure it aligns with your goals. Rebalancing helps maintain the desired asset allocation and mitigates risk.

Increase SIP Contributions: Gradually increase your SIP contributions to benefit from compounding. This disciplined approach can significantly boost your corpus.

Diversify Investments: Diversify within asset classes to reduce risk. Consider various mutual fund categories and sectors.

Tax Efficiency: Utilize tax-efficient instruments to maximize returns. Investments like PPF, NPS, and SSY offer tax benefits under different sections of the Income Tax Act.

Addressing Disadvantages of Index Funds and Direct Funds

Index funds, while popular, have certain disadvantages. They passively track indices and may underperform during market downturns. Active funds, managed by experts, can adapt to market conditions and potentially offer better returns.

Direct funds may seem cost-effective, but they require more research and active management. Investing through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) ensures professional guidance, better fund selection, and periodic reviews. CFPs provide personalized advice, helping you navigate complex financial decisions.

Monitoring and Adjusting Your Plan

Retirement planning is not a one-time activity. Regular monitoring and adjustments are essential to stay on track. Here are some steps to ensure your plan remains effective:

Annual Reviews: Conduct annual reviews of your financial plan. Assess performance, rebalance your portfolio, and make necessary adjustments.

Life Changes: Adjust your plan for any significant life changes, such as job changes, health issues, or family needs.

Stay Informed: Keep yourself updated on market trends, new investment opportunities, and regulatory changes.

Seek Professional Advice: Regularly consult with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) to ensure your strategy aligns with your goals.

Final Insights

You have a solid foundation for your retirement planning with diversified investments. To ensure a comfortable retirement at 52, focus on increasing equity exposure, maximizing tax efficiency, and regularly reviewing your portfolio. Working with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) will provide you with expert guidance and personalized advice.

Your disciplined approach to savings and investments is commendable. By continuing to plan strategically and adjusting as needed, you can achieve your retirement goals and secure a financially stable future for your family.

Best Regards,

K. Ramalingam, MBA, CFP,

Chief Financial Planner,


...Read more

Nayagam P

Nayagam P P  |325 Answers  |Ask -

Career Counsellor - Answered on Jun 13, 2024

Hi My son is in class 12th CBSE. Would be looking for admission in overseas universities for next year admissions. He has taken Physics, Chemistry and Biology as his main subjects. Can you guide me which subjects he can choose for his undergraduate course or which course should he choose for a better career. Also, kindly guide me which countries would be better for him.
Ans: Saumyaa Madam, please let me know, your son is interested in which subject / stream / course? His academic performance in 10th / 12th? If possible, please arrange for him to attempt a 'Psychometric Test' (available online) for Rs.1000-2000 approx. Test Report provides information about his level of Aptitude, Attitude, Interest, Personality Traits & his orientation Style. You will get a basic idea. After going through this process, please come back and ask with your feedback to recommend the right country / course etc. All the BEST for your Son's Bright Future. To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad)’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

Nayagam PP |
EduJob360 |
CERTIFIED Career Coach

...Read more


Moneywize   |116 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Jun 13, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jun 12, 2024Hindi
I purchased an NSC in 2018 and paid tax every year for the interest on accrual basis. But it seems from last year, post offices are providing data to AIS on receipt basis, that is, whole amount of interest on maturity. What happens to the money I paid as taxes in previous years on the same basis? How do I adjust them? Please help as many people I now face this issue.
Ans: You're right! The tax treatment of NSC interest can be confusing. Here's what you need to know:

Good news: The taxes you've paid on the accrued interest in previous years are valid. You don't need to adjust them.


The Income Tax department in India treats interest earned on NSCs on an accrual basis, even though the interest is paid out at maturity. This means you were correct to pay taxes on the accrued interest every year.

What about the data mismatch with AIS?

The post office might now be reporting the entire interest on maturity to the Annual Information Statement (AIS). This can create a discrepancy.

How to handle it?

• You don't need to file any corrections for previous years.
• When filing your current year's return, consider the following:

1. If you consistently claimed the accrued interest as income in previous years, only report the interest for the final year (maturity year) in your current return. This avoids double taxation.
2. You can file feedback in the AIS portal mentioning that the interest for the previous years was already offered for tax purposes. This helps in clarifying the situation.

Additional tips:

• It's advisable to maintain records of your previous tax returns where you declared the accrued interest.
• If you have any concerns, consult a tax advisor for personalized guidance specific to your situation.

This is a common issue faced by many NSC holders. By following these steps, you can ensure your tax filing remains accurate.

...Read more

Nayagam P

Nayagam P P  |325 Answers  |Ask -

Career Counsellor - Answered on Jun 13, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jun 13, 2024Hindi
Sir, We've observed that you tend to recommend institutions like VIT, which have a non-transparent category system (where you 'buy' your way up over other deserving students) over Manipal CSE at both the main campus and the Bangalore campus. You also seem to favor institutions such as RV (I am from RV and a Bangalorean for over 40 years) and BMS, which are no doubt good , but ranked lower than Main Manipal in their placements. Is there a particular reason for this bias against Manipal in your recommendations? Manipal Sikkim, we can understand. Please note, I do not have any family connections to Manipal nor We have anyone studying there. We are exploring fallback options including Manipal for our son in case he doesn't get his desired branch at BITS Pilani or NITs. If a reason as to why 'No Manipal' it'll be helpful for all. Thank you for your guidance.
Ans: Thanks for your feedback. Regarding Manipal, it is one of the top-ranked universities with good placements. I had clearly mentioned it is not suitable, only for SOME (not all) students due to some reasons and the feedback I got some from Manipal students on 'Non-Academic / Psychological' Factors. Psychological factors also play an important role for careers. There are students who are academically strong, but psychologically might be average or below. Regarding VIT, most of the parents'/candidates' questions do not specifically refer about the Category they got. If they clearly mention about the category, I reply accordingly that, to go for VIT only if they can afford the fees. I hope I have clarified your clarified your doubt. Thanks once again for your feedback and for reading my answers. All the BEST for Your Son's Bright Future.

...Read more

DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds