Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on May 23, 2024

Maxim Emmanuel is the marketing director of Maxwill Zeus Expositions.
An alumnus of the Xavier Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai, Maxim has over 30 years of experience in training young professionals and corporate organisations on how to improve soft skills and build interpersonal relationships through effective communication.

I am 35 years old and started my career as a lectruer in DTU for 1.5 years and then got married and had to leave job in 2016. In 2017 had done content writin as a freelancer for 6 months but due to health emergency had to leave again! In 2019 I had started as a travel expert in MMT for about 5 months then got permanent job in MMT, worked as an image consultant and content consultant for one of their pages. I had to leave it for baby in 2021 Mid and joined again for 6 months after baby in 2022 but couldn't continue due to end of wfh opportunity. Since then am not working but want to work again from home as freelancer or part time but unable to understand which area should I move forward in or stydy or apply job for? Please help

Ans: Send your resume to a few ad and media agencies, may be you could find an opportunity!?

Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |145 Answers  |Ask -

Leadership, HR Expert - Answered on Apr 23, 2024

Hello Sir, I am 44 year old man. I am in a very bad situation as I am looking for an job as I have 5 years of career break from full time job due to had to take break from job due to family issues and pandemic forced me to get into online business but it is not providing me a constant income, so I am looking for full time job and due to the career gap I am not getting any job. Please suggest how I can get back to full time job and let me know do I have to change my field from human resources field to other any other field where I can get a job or going to foreign country to do any type of work will it possible to get in other countries. Please help me with your suggestions. Thanks
Ans: I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing in your job search. Transitioning back to full-time employment after a career break can indeed be daunting, but it's not impossible. First of all, update your resume and tailor it to highlight your relevant skills, experiences, and achievements. Address the career gap in your cover letter by briefly explaining the circumstances that led to your break and emphasizing your enthusiasm and readiness to re-enter the workforce. Consider taking on volunteer work or freelance projects in your field to gain recent experience, build your resume, and demonstrate your skills to potential employers. Volunteering can also help you stay connected to your industry and expand your professional network. Be open to exploring contract or temporary positions as a way to re-enter the workforce and gain recent experience. Temporary assignments can sometimes lead to permanent employment opportunities and provide valuable networking connections. Utilize multiple job search channels, including online job boards, company websites, recruitment agencies, and professional networking platforms like LinkedIn. Be proactive in reaching out to companies directly, even if they're not actively advertising job openings, to inquire about potential opportunities. Tap into your professional network and reach out to former colleagues, mentors, and industry contacts for advice, support, and job leads. Attend networking events, join professional associations, and participate in online forums to expand your network and uncover potential job opportunities. 

Regarding changing fields or exploring opportunities in other countries, it's important to carefully assess your skills, interests, and preferences, as well as the job market conditions and immigration requirements of the countries you're considering. Research industries and occupations that align with your strengths and interests, and consider how your transferable skills from your HR background could be applied in other fields or roles.

If you're considering working abroad, research visa options, work permit requirements, and job prospects in your desired destination country. Keep in mind that international job searches may require additional planning, resources, and adaptation to different cultural and regulatory environments. Overall, remain persistent, resilient, and open to exploring different paths and opportunities as you navigate your return to full-time employment. With determination, perseverance, and strategic planning, you can successfully overcome career challenges and find a rewarding job that aligns with your skills, goals, and aspirations.

Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |145 Answers  |Ask -

Leadership, HR Expert - Answered on May 13, 2024

Hi, I'm 40 years old ,i have done BBA in finance and marketing. It's completed in 2006.i have experience of 5 year in retail and then I moved to foreign exchange company and worked for another 4-5 years in 2-3 companies.but I lost my job in corona time.and since then I'm working as a freelancer for the forex customers.also looking for jobs but couldn't get right job.i have responsibilities but I am not earning as I needed. Pls suggest me what should I do?
Ans: I understand this must be a frustrating situation. You have a strong educational background and experience, but the job market can be tough. Don't view freelance work as a gap in your employment history. Frame it as an opportunity where you leveraged your expertise to consult with clients. Quantify your achievements as a freelancer whenever possible (e.g., increased client base by X%, secured Y new contracts). The financial and marketing fields have likely evolved since your graduation in 2006. Consider taking online courses, certifications, or workshops to update your knowledge in areas like financial technology (FinTech), digital marketing, or social media marketing. These in-demand skills can make your resume more attractive to employers. Since you already have experience freelancing for forex clients, explore ways to expand your freelance offerings. Can you offer additional services like market research, competitor analysis, or content creation related to finance or foreign exchange? Don't limit yourself to just finance or forex roles. Consider marketing positions within financial institutions, wealth management firms, or fintech companies. Your marketing background could also be valuable in other industries like retail, healthcare, or technology. Remember, your age and experience are assets. Age is not a liability; hence, by highlighting your transferable skills, expanding your skillset, and utilizing a strategic job search approach, you can increase your chances of landing the right job.

Parthiban T R

Parthiban T R   |176 Answers  |Ask -

I am 45 with 7 LPA salary. I have a purchased plot. I want to move out of my current house in 2 years. Should I build a house or purchase a flat?
Ans: Your Current Situation
At 45 years old with a salary of Rs 7 lakhs per annum, you own a plot and plan to move out of your current house in 2 years.

Key Considerations
Let's evaluate whether you should build a house or purchase a flat based on several factors.

Financial Assessment
Building a House
Pros:

Customization: You can design it according to your preferences and needs.

Potential Cost Savings: Building can be cheaper per square foot compared to buying a ready-made flat, depending on the area.

Appreciation: The value of a well-built house on your own plot may appreciate more over time.

Cons:

Time-Consuming: Construction can take a long time, potentially more than 2 years.

Management: Requires constant supervision and dealing with contractors, which can be stressful.

Initial Costs: High initial outlay for construction materials and labor.

Purchasing a Flat
Pros:

Convenience: Ready to move in, no waiting period or construction hassle.

Amenities: Flats often come with amenities like security, maintenance, gym, pool, etc.

Fixed Cost: Fixed price with no unexpected expenses compared to potential construction overruns.

Cons:

Less Customization: Limited to the builder's design and layout.

Maintenance Costs: Monthly maintenance charges can be high in some apartments.

Appreciation: Flats may appreciate less compared to individual houses on plots.

Lifestyle Considerations
Building a House
Privacy: More privacy and space compared to flats.

Expansion: Easier to expand or modify in the future as per your needs.

Community: Less communal living; more suited for those who prefer privacy.

Purchasing a Flat
Community Living: Better community interaction, good for families.

Security: Enhanced security measures compared to independent houses.

Maintenance: Professional maintenance of common areas and facilities.

Long-Term Goals
Financial Goals
Investment Potential: Consider long-term appreciation potential. A well-built house may offer better returns.

Future Expenses: Think about long-term maintenance and repair costs for both options.

Personal Goals
Retirement Plans: Consider which option suits your retirement lifestyle better. Flats often offer a more carefree lifestyle with less personal responsibility for maintenance.

Family Needs: Assess the needs of your family. Flats might be more suitable for small families or those who value community amenities.

Recommendation
Based on your situation, I recommend assessing the following before making a decision:

Time and Stress: If you have the time and are willing to manage construction, building a house can be rewarding. If not, purchasing a flat is convenient and less stressful.

Financial Position: Ensure you have a clear budget. Building a house can have unexpected costs. Flats have fixed pricing.

Long-Term View: Consider your long-term living and investment goals. Flats offer convenience and community, while a house offers privacy and potential higher appreciation.

Ultimately, the decision depends on your personal preferences, financial readiness, and long-term goals.