Patrick

Patrick Dsouza  |659 Answers  |Ask -

CAT, XAT, CMAT, CET Expert - Answered on Jun 18, 2024

Patrick Dsouza is the founder of Patrick100.
Along with his wife, Rochelle, he trains students for competitive management entrance exams such as the Common Admission Test, the Xavier Aptitude Test, Common Management Admission Test and the Common Entrance Test.
They also train students for group discussions and interviews.
Patrick has scored in the 100 percentile six times in CAT. He achieved the first rank in XAT twice, in CET thrice and once in the Narsee Monjee Management Aptitude Test.
Apart from coaching students for MBA exams, Patrick and Rochelle have trained aspirants from the IIMs, the Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies and the S P Jain Institute of Management Studies and Research for campus placements.
Patrick has been a panellist on the group discussion and panel interview rounds for some of the top management colleges in Mumbai.

Hi, I'm 29 years old and have been working at PSB for the past 6 years. I earn a handsome income but want to switch to my career by doing an MBA from a top B school (via GMAT), but while doing some career counselling from Pvt consulting firms, they said I have very poor grades and if I score well in the GMAT, there is still no chance to get calls from top B schools. So pls give me guidance (10th 85%, 12th 85% (CBSE), Graduate (BSc Hons Agriculture (4yr Program)) 7.5 CGPA, 6.5 YEARS OF BANKING EXPERIENCE, Also i have done my PG certification in Financial Management from IIM trichy (3.19 on 4 point scale)

Ans: I dont think your acads are bad. You can write GMAT and try getting into Executive MBA course from ISB or top IIMs or XLRI.

Patrick

Patrick Dsouza  |659 Answers  |Ask -

CAT, XAT, CMAT, CET Expert - Answered on May 07, 2024

I am 23years old male living in kolkata and a bcom general graduate with 73.52% in 2022, after that i taken gap years for mba entrance preparation but not able to crack or get desired percentile in any. Currently in 2024 i am repeating again for mba entrances to secure admission in 2025. I have no work or internships experience, no awards or certifications. I got 51.17 in 12th commerce and 54.71 in 10th. I got only a digital marketing beginner certification by google digital garage earlier on 2023. Currently i taken a digital marketing course from udemy of digital marketing to hone and develop the required skills I have been searching and applying for jobs since graduating but not able to get any desired one. Now i want to get into a good mba college tier 2 because may not eligible for tier 1 and 1.5 as per my profile but i will try anyways. So for that i need to make my profile good and need certifications and jobs or internships. I interest in sales, marketing, more but also Hr domain. But nowadays i am only getting Inssurance sales, bpo, telecaller or telemarketer, Kpo, sustomer support type jobs of around avg salary of 150000 pa. Which a 12th pass candidate also getting. I often thinks to get into bpo to gain experience and money to fill my profile and manage preparation expenses but also fear that what if i get stuck in that industry. I wanted to do mba to enchance and start my career in a management role to achieve a leadership role in upcoming years as a professional in sales and marketing industry. I don't know, i think i am stucked and lost in spiral web between situations and aspiration. I also thinking to get into banking or try govt. Exams to secure a job but i also feel that it will distract me more from my real life goals. I was not a great student or person earlier but now i am changed i know my responsibilities and i know my goals but i want a clear view to walk on that path. Please help with your genuine guidance. THANK YOU
Ans: My suggestion would be to work in sales along with your preparation for MBA entrance. Sales experience could help you to get better job during your placements and could also help you in your interview stage during admission process.

Patrick

Patrick Dsouza  |659 Answers  |Ask -

Actually, I am 32 year male, unmarried and currently working in an Education Sector as a Content Manager/ Subject Matter Expert from the past 4 years. And, I did my BE in the year 2014 and since then I was preparing for UPSC civil services and even appeared in the interview but unfortunately didn’t tasted the success and join this industry on this basis. Whereas, I am got stagnated here and not getting much in term of salary or career growth and looking forward for doing MBA to switch my career field to analytics/Finance. I did Master in Public Administration in distance mode while I was preparing because this was my optional. Previous month, I took admission in Executive MBA from IIT Patna but unfortunately, its substandard in terms of quality and learning. I have certain doubts, Please let me help to come to the conculsion. Shall I go with the Full time MBA at 32 age by giving CAT/GMAT? Shall I opt for executive MBA from IIMs like Indore, Kashipur etc, here I have concern related to placements, considering 12 Lakh Fee? Shall I do 1 year full time PGP at IIM Indore, ISB or any good institutions for the change? Or shall I opt for CFA/FRM along with my IIT Patna Executive MBA? I am way behind my collogues and even not settled due to my UPSC unsuccessful attempts, I need to switch the filed. Please revert and help me out tin clearing my dilemma, I am really very confused right now.,
Ans: It is advisable to write GMAT and try to do Executive MBA from one of the good IIMs or XLRI. These colleges do have good placements and it could help your career. Usual requirement for these courses is minimum 5 years of work experience

Patrick

Patrick Dsouza  |659 Answers  |Ask -

CAT, XAT, CMAT, CET Expert - Answered on Jun 26, 2024

I graduated with a B.Com (General) with 73.52%, and I obtained 54.71% in 10th grade and 51.17% in 12th grade. I belong to the General category and am eligible for an EWS certificate. My academic profile is summarized as 5|5|7. Since graduation, I have been a fresher with no practical work experience or internships, and I do not have any notable co-curricular or extra-curricular achievements. I took the CAT 2022 exam shortly after graduation for experience. Following that, I started preparing for CAT 2023, XAT 2024, and MHT CET 2024 but was unsuccessful due to a lack of consistency, discipline, and dedication. This year, I am preparing for CAT, NMAT, SNAP, XAT, MHT CET, and CMAT with the goal of getting into a top B-school in India. My preparation is going well this time. Although I realize I may not get into the top IIMs (BLACKIS), I am targeting and working hard for the new and baby IIMs, XLRI, FMS, SPJIMR, NMIMS, SIBM, and other reputable non-IIMs. Many people have advised me to pursue an MBA from local colleges or to try for government or banking jobs. While I respect their suggestions, I am determined to pursue an MBA from a top college in India. I cannot change my past academic record, but I am focused on improving my overall profile. I seek your valuable guidance on how to justify my gap years, improve my profile, and get advice for GDPI, securing a SIP, and placement. Currently, I am only able to get job of BPS in MNCs with only 11k p.m. for night shift. It may affect my schedule my preparation and work culture will be hectic and will only get 1.5 to 2hrs on weekdays for preparation. If I able to get a sales/Marketing related to my career interest then i can max 14k with more hectic work and more travel which may results inconsistency in preparation in weekdays. Even if I start working now, I can only add about 2 months of work experience before CAT and other MBA entrance test registrations, and less than 10 months of work experience before GDPI next year. I am committed to achieving a 99+ percentile this time. Alongside my preparation, I have acquired two beginner-level certifications in digital marketing and plan to add up to five more certifications in pre-MBA relevant skills. I am highly grateful for your feedback and suggestions.
Ans: It may be a little difficult to get into top colleges based on your academics - though it is possible if you do well in the written test and interview. It will help if you look at more colleges for admission. IF you are ready to wait then can take up a job and try to get experience along with preparation for CAT. By next year you would have 1 year experience which would give you some additional marks that could help you get a call.

I m 59 yrs old, retiring next year in August, working in govt aided higher secondary school, upon retirement I will get approx 50 lakhs, nd 50 k as pension. I have investment of 20 lakhs, own house, no loans nd kids settled, where should i invest my retirement corpus to get better returns. I also have 1 cr. term insurance nd 10 lakh health insurance
Ans: Current Status
Age: 59 years
Retirement: Next year in August
Job: Working in a government-aided higher secondary school
Retirement Benefits: Approx. Rs 50 lakhs
Pension: Rs 50,000 per month
Investments: Rs 20 lakhs
Assets: Own house
Loans: None
Kids: Settled
Insurance: Rs 1 crore term insurance and Rs 10 lakhs health insurance
Goal
Objective: Invest retirement corpus for better returns
Investment Strategies for Retirement Corpus
Diversified Portfolio
Safety and Stability
Allocate a portion to safe, stable options. These ensure a steady income stream.

Fixed Deposits (FDs): Allocate 20%. Offers safety and fixed returns.
Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): Allocate 20%. Provides regular income with tax benefits.
RBI Bonds: Allocate 20%. Offers fixed interest and is a government-backed option.
Growth and Inflation Protection
Allocate a portion to growth options. These protect against inflation and ensure corpus growth.

Mutual Funds: Allocate 30%. Choose actively managed funds for better returns. Include large-cap, balanced, and debt funds.
Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For regular income from mutual funds. Tax-efficient and steady returns.
Liquidity and Emergencies
Keep some funds liquid for emergencies.

Liquid Funds: Allocate 10%. Easy access and better returns than savings accounts.
Savings Account: Allocate 10%. For immediate access and safety.
Detailed Analysis
Fixed Deposits and SCSS
Fixed Deposits
Safety: High
Returns: Moderate, fixed interest
Liquidity: Low, early withdrawal penalties
Senior Citizen Savings Scheme
Safety: Very high
Returns: Higher interest rates for seniors
Tax Benefits: Under Section 80C
Lock-in Period: 5 years, extendable
RBI Bonds
Features
Safety: Government-backed
Returns: Fixed interest, higher than FDs
Lock-in Period: 7 years
Large-Cap Funds: Stability and growth
Balanced Funds: Equity and debt mix for balanced risk
Debt Funds: Lower risk, stable returns
Benefits
Regular Income: Monthly or quarterly
Tax Efficiency: Gains taxed as per long-term capital gains
Liquid Funds and Savings Account
Liquid Funds
Returns: Higher than savings accounts
Liquidity: High, easy access
Savings Account
Safety: Very high
Liquidity: Immediate access
Managing Risk and Ensuring Returns
Regular Monitoring
Review Portfolio: Quarterly reviews to adjust for market changes
Rebalance: Ensure the portfolio stays aligned with goals
Certified Financial Planner: Seek advice for personalized planning and strategy
Your financial situation is strong. With no loans and settled children, focus on maintaining and growing your corpus. Diversify your investments to ensure safety, steady income, and growth. Regular monitoring and adjustments will help meet your retirement goals effectively.