Tax Expert - Answered on Jul 21, 2023

Mihir Ashok Tanna, who works with a well-known chartered accountancy firm in Mumbai, has more than 15 years of experience in direct taxation.
He handles various kinds of matters related to direct tax such as PAN/ TAN application; compliance including ITR, TDS return filing; issuance/ filing of statutory forms like Form 15CB, Form 61A, etc; application u/s 10(46); application for condonation of delay; application for lower/ nil TDS certificate; transfer pricing and study report; advisory/ opinion on direct tax matters; handling various income-tax notices; compounding application on show cause for TDS default; verification of books for TDS/ TCS/ equalisation levy compliance; application for pending income-tax demand and refund; charitable trust taxation and compliance; income-tax scrutiny and CIT(A) for all types of taxpayers including individuals, firms, LLPs, corporates, trusts, non-resident individuals and companies.

While paying self assessment tax challan for AY 23-24 , I selected advance tax for AY 24-25 by mistake I have personally submitted letter to AO for correction in challan 20-22 days ago but corrections have not yet been made, They say challan is not reflecting in our system so can't correct .while it is showing as advance tax in my AIS for AY 24 -25 In this case I may receive demand notice after processing of my return , Then how to rectify the mistake online without going to income tax office again ? After receiving demand notice,can we rectify mistake by adjusting advance tax with self assessment tax and close the demand? Or I will have to file revised return after receiving demand notice through 143 (1) ? Please advise

Ans: In case of wrong assessment year selection in tax payment challan, assessing officer has power to correct financial year. As deadline for AY 2023-24 is approaching, it is advisable to show said challan in ITR and get it rectified from officer at the earliest. Till the time credit is available in AY 2023-24, demand will not be closed.

Sir, i have completed my bachelors (BCA) in India in an engineering college and wishes to pursue my masters in a foreign country.My family is'nt well off so iam looking into schlorships.can you suggest some courses with good scope. Also which countries are best for IT field that provide great schlorship oppurtunities.
Ans: As far as Scholarships for Abroad Universities are concerned, you should have good scores from the entrance tests (whichever will be applicable according to the University's admission criteria), good past academic records, your extra and co-curricular activities, additional certifications, your Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letter of Recommendation etc. Those who have gained work experience of a minimum 2-3 years after graduation get preference in admission.

And most of the Universities do not provide 100% scholarships. You will have to bear some expenses (depends upon which University / College you get admission into & what all expenses only it will cover?) .

As you have mentioned that your parents NOT well-off financially, it is suggested to work for 2-3 years, earn some money and also gain work experience, then go for further education abroad.

Before approaching any Professional Abroad Education Consultant, do a thorough research about the Countries/Universities/Programs, shortlist those which you think will be most suitable, apply to 5-6 top Univerities offering Scholarships and finalize one best University/College for you.

All the BEST for Your Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, ask / Follow Us here in RediffGURUS.