Nikesh Question by Nikesh on May 21, 2024Hindi

Dear sir, have a very warm day to you. I ANS now 32, currently working as assistant professor in a college( recently joined). I have a lic term insurance with term plan of 40 lac sum.imsured at my age of 60 Currently I have around 6.5 lac in my NPS. I have a son (2 month old) now. My net salary around 75k currently which may further increases as the time.My wife is also working and she also earned around 40 k now I have a loan of around 2.5 lac which I have to pay in a year. I want to get a corpus of around 5 cr at the time of my retirement and also have to secure at least 25-40 lac for my son higher education. Now, my request is that please tell me some better plans for the better future of my family and me when I will be retired from my job as well as to secure the education support of my child

Ans: Securing Your Family's Future: Financial Planning for Long-Term Goals
Dear ANS, congratulations on the newest addition to your family and your commitment to securing their future. Let’s explore some effective financial strategies to achieve your goals of retirement planning and providing for your son’s education.

Current Financial Overview
Income and Expenses
You and your wife collectively earn around ?1.15 lakhs per month, with the potential for future salary increases.
You have a manageable loan of ?2.5 lakhs, which will be paid off within a year.
Savings and Investments
You have a LIC term insurance plan providing coverage of ?40 lakhs until the age of 60.
Your NPS balance is approximately ?6.5 lakhs, providing a foundation for retirement savings.
Planning for Retirement: Building a Corpus of ?5 Crores
Retirement Age: Assumed at 60
Determine your desired retirement age and estimate your post-retirement expenses based on your current lifestyle and inflation projections.
Calculate the corpus required to maintain your desired lifestyle post-retirement, considering inflation and expected longevity.
Strategies for Retirement Planning
1. Increase Retirement Savings
Maximize contributions to your NPS account to benefit from tax benefits and build a substantial retirement corpus.
Consider diversifying retirement savings by investing in other tax-efficient instruments like PPF and ELSS mutual funds.
2. Regular Financial Reviews
Regularly review and reassess your retirement goals and investment strategy to ensure they remain aligned with your evolving financial situation and objectives.
Education Planning: Securing ?25-40 Lakhs for Your Son’s Education
Estimated Education Cost: Consider Inflation
Estimate the future cost of your son’s higher education, factoring in inflation and the duration until he starts college.
Education Fund Accumulation
Start a dedicated education fund for your son’s future expenses, such as a combination of mutual funds, SIPs, and fixed deposits.
Gradually increase contributions to this fund over time to meet the desired corpus by the time he begins his education.
Risk Management and Contingency Planning
Maintain an emergency fund equivalent to at least six months' worth of living expenses to cover unforeseen financial setbacks.
Adequate Insurance Coverage
Review your insurance coverage regularly and consider increasing the sum assured on your term insurance policy to ensure adequate protection for your family's financial security.
Long-Term Wealth Creation Strategies
Diversified Investment Portfolio
Build a diversified investment portfolio comprising equities, mutual funds, and fixed income instruments to achieve long-term wealth creation goals.
Professional Financial Advice
Consult with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) to develop a comprehensive financial plan tailored to your specific needs, goals, and risk tolerance.
A CFP can provide personalized guidance, investment recommendations, and ongoing portfolio management to help you achieve your financial objectives.
Conclusion: Working Towards a Brighter Future
ANS, by implementing these strategies and staying disciplined in your financial planning, you can work towards achieving your long-term goals of a comfortable retirement and securing your son's education. Remember to review and adjust your financial plan periodically to adapt to changing circumstances and ensure you remain on track to meet your objectives.

Dear Sir, I am 44 yrs old with wife and 2 kids of age 9&11.I have been investing my money into the following sectors over the last few years back. 1.LIC and SBI money back policies of 8.5L and will be mature in 2034. 2.Life cover for self of 50L has to pay till 2047 annually of 20K. 3.Max life ULIP plan SA 6L mature in 2031. 4.Family floater Health I surance of 5L 4.HDFC life click 2I combo plan invest of 9L 5.SSA till date for both children 1L each 5.SIP of 20K since last 4.5yrs monthly 6.SIP lumpsum of 1L invested in Axis medium cap fund invested 4yrs back My question is to secure my child education and retirement life after 55 yrs , corpus should be 2 Crore what else I have to do
Ans: It's commendable that you've been diligently planning for your family's future. Your commitment to securing your children's education and ensuring a comfortable retirement is truly admirable.

Considering your current investments, it's essential to evaluate if they align with your long-term goals. While your existing plans offer some protection and potential growth, diversifying your portfolio could provide added stability and growth potential. Have you explored avenues beyond traditional insurance policies and mutual funds?

Certified Financial Planners can offer personalized strategies tailored to your aspirations and risk tolerance. They can suggest options that balance growth potential with risk mitigation, guiding you towards achieving your desired corpus. Have you considered consulting one to fine-tune your financial roadmap?

Remember, the journey to financial security is not just about numbers—it's about ensuring peace of mind and enabling your loved ones to pursue their dreams. By proactively seeking guidance and exploring diverse investment avenues, you're laying a robust foundation for a fulfilling future. Keep nurturing your financial garden, and the seeds you sow today will bloom into a prosperous tomorrow.

Hi Expert, I am 39 Years Old and single Earning in family and earn 1 lakh per month. Home Loan 23 lakh ans NPS is 5200 pm and Term plan 1 cr already running. Please suggest some retirement and higher education for child, daughter and son 7 years.
Ans: You are 39 years old, the sole earner in your family, and earn Rs 1 lakh per month. You have a home loan of Rs 23 lakhs and contribute Rs 5200 per month to the NPS. You also have a term plan of Rs 1 crore. Your primary financial goals are planning for retirement and your children’s higher education.

Setting Financial Goals
Retirement Planning: Ensure a comfortable retirement with adequate savings.

Children’s Education: Save for your daughter and son’s higher education.

Monthly Savings and Investments
You need to allocate a portion of your income to systematic savings and investments to meet these goals.

Assessing Current Commitments
Home Loan: You have a home loan of Rs 23 lakhs. Ensure timely EMI payments to manage this debt efficiently.

NPS Contribution: You are already contributing to the NPS, which will aid in your retirement planning.

Diversified Retirement Portfolio
Equity Mutual Funds: Allocate a portion of your savings to equity mutual funds. These funds provide high returns over the long term, helping you build a substantial corpus.

Debt Mutual Funds: These funds provide stability and lower risk, balancing your portfolio.

Regular SIPs: Start a SIP in equity mutual funds to build wealth systematically. This approach benefits from rupee cost averaging and compounding.

Increase SIP Amount Annually: Increase your SIP contributions by 5-10% annually to match inflation and income growth.

Continue NPS Contributions: The NPS is a good tool for retirement savings. Continue your monthly contributions of Rs 5200.

Review NPS Allocation: Ensure your NPS investments are well-diversified between equity, corporate bonds, and government securities.

Children’s Education Planning
Education Savings Plans
Dedicated Education Funds: Invest in plans specifically designed for children’s education. These plans help build a dedicated corpus for your children’s future needs.

Balanced Portfolio: A mix of equity and debt funds can provide growth and stability for education planning.

Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (for daughters)
Sukanya Samriddhi Account: If you have a daughter, consider investing in this scheme. It offers attractive interest rates and tax benefits.
Calculating Required Corpus
Estimate Education Costs
Higher Education Costs: Estimate the future costs of higher education for both children. This will help in determining the amount you need to save.

Regular Contributions: Make regular contributions to education savings plans to accumulate the required corpus.

Term Insurance: You already have a term insurance plan of Rs 1 crore. Ensure it is adequate to cover your family’s needs in case of unforeseen events.
Maintain Emergency Fund: Maintain an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of expenses. This fund will provide financial security during emergencies.
Professional Management
Expertise: Actively managed funds benefit from the expertise of professional fund managers who make informed investment decisions.

Market Opportunities: Fund managers can exploit market opportunities to achieve higher returns.

Limited Returns: Index funds only aim to match the market returns, not outperform it.

Lack of Flexibility: They lack the flexibility to react quickly to market changes.

Direct Funds vs Regular Funds
No Guidance: Direct funds do not offer professional guidance, which is crucial for optimal investment decisions.

Time-Consuming: Managing direct investments can be complex and time-consuming without expert help.

Benefits of Regular Funds via MFD with CFP Credential
Expert Advice: Regular funds provide access to certified financial planners who can offer tailored advice.

Better Performance: Professional management often results in better performance compared to self-managed direct funds.

Comprehensive Planning: Investing through a CFP ensures a holistic approach to financial planning.

Achieving Your Financial Goals
Regular Savings
Discipline: Regular savings and disciplined investments are key to achieving your financial goals.

Review and Adjust: Regularly review your portfolio and adjust based on performance and changing goals.

Increasing Contributions
Annual Increases: Increase your investment contributions by 5-10% annually to keep pace with income growth and inflation.
Consult a CFP: Regular consultations with a Certified Financial Planner will help you stay on track and make necessary adjustments.
Final Thoughts
Your financial planning is crucial for a secure future for yourself and your children. By following a disciplined investment strategy and seeking professional advice, you can achieve your retirement and education goals.

Hello Sir,I am 47,wife,42,working,son 13 yrs. I have two house with loan emi 70K .have elderly parents. Have term plan of 50 lac each for both of us other than traditional insurance of roughly 20 lac.Both of us put together earning 3 lacs net in a month.we have 50 lacs in FD, PF and PPF put together 50 lacs , shares in PMS portfolio for 1.50 Cr. Equity MF portfolio of roughly 2.50 Cr . I plan to retire by 50 to take care of our sons studies while my wife will continue to work as she has favorable conditions at job than me .Would like to get a monthly pension of 2 lac at current inflation.How to plan.thanks
Ans: Retirement planning requires a detailed understanding of your financial situation and goals. Given your current financial details, let's create a strategy to ensure you achieve a monthly pension of Rs. 2 lakh adjusted for inflation.

Understanding Your Current Financial Situation
Income and Expenses

Combined Monthly Income: Rs. 3 lakh
EMI for House Loans: Rs. 70,000
Net Monthly Income After EMI: Rs. 2.3 lakh
Assets and Investments

Fixed Deposits (FD): Rs. 50 lakh
Provident Fund (PF) and Public Provident Fund (PPF): Rs. 50 lakh
Shares in Portfolio Management Services (PMS): Rs. 1.5 crore
Equity Mutual Fund (MF) Portfolio: Rs. 2.5 crore

Term Plan: Rs. 50 lakh each for you and your wife
Traditional Insurance Policies: Total coverage of Rs. 20 lakh
Family Details

Wife's Age: 42, currently working with favorable job conditions
Son's Age: 13, will need funds for higher education
Elderly Parents: Potential healthcare expenses
Setting Your Retirement Goals
Target Monthly Pension

You desire a monthly pension of Rs. 2 lakh to maintain your lifestyle. To account for inflation, we need to adjust this amount for the future.

Estimating Required Corpus
Inflation Adjustment

Assuming an average inflation rate of 6% per annum, we calculate the future value of your monthly pension requirement.

Future Value Calculation:

Present Value (PV): Rs. 2 lakh
Rate of Inflation (r): 6% or 0.06
Number of Years (n): 3 years (from age 47 to 50)
Future Value (FV) = Rs. 2,00,000 × (1 + 0.06)^3
Future Value ≈ Rs. 2,00,000 × 1.191
Future Value ≈ Rs. 2,38,200

So, your monthly pension requirement at retirement will be approximately Rs. 2,38,200.

Corpus Required to Sustain Pension
Using the 4% withdrawal rule to determine the corpus required:

Annual Pension = Rs. 2,38,200 × 12
Annual Pension = Rs. 28,58,400

Required Corpus = Rs. 28,58,400 / 0.04
Required Corpus ≈ Rs. 7.15 crore

Current Assets and Additional Savings
Current Assets

Total Current Investments:
FD + PF + PPF + PMS + MF
Rs. 50 lakh + Rs. 50 lakh + Rs. 1.5 crore + Rs. 2.5 crore
= Rs. 5 crore
Future Savings Until Retirement

Assuming you save Rs. 1 lakh per month after other expenses, your total savings will be:

Monthly Savings × Number of Months
Rs. 1,00,000 × 36
= Rs. 36 lakh

Total Corpus by Retirement

Adding current assets and future savings:
Rs. 5 crore + Rs. 36 lakh
= Rs. 5.36 crore

Analyzing the Gap
Required Corpus: Rs. 7.15 crore

Projected Corpus by Retirement: Rs. 5.36 crore

Gap: Rs. 7.15 crore - Rs. 5.36 crore = Rs. 1.79 crore

Strategies to Bridge the Gap
Optimizing Investments

Reallocate Assets: Shift a portion of your FD and low-yield investments to higher growth options like equity mutual funds and PMS to potentially increase returns.

Maximize Equity Exposure: Given your three-year horizon, carefully increase exposure to equity to benefit from higher returns, but ensure to rebalance to reduce risk as you approach retirement.

Detailed Investment Strategies

Investing in equity mutual funds offers significant growth potential. Focus on large-cap and diversified equity funds to manage risk while aiming for higher returns.

Hybrid Mutual Funds

Hybrid funds provide a balanced approach by combining equity and debt. They offer growth with reduced volatility, making them a stable addition to your portfolio.

Debt funds are less volatile and provide stable returns. Include a mix of short-term and medium-term debt funds to preserve capital and generate regular income.

Continue contributing to NPS, which offers tax benefits and market-linked returns. At retirement, use a portion for annuities and withdraw the rest to support your income needs.

Rebalancing Fixed Deposits
Consider moving a portion of your fixed deposits to mutual funds or other growth-oriented investments. FDs offer safety but lower returns compared to mutual funds.

Medical Insurance Coverage
Your medical insurance coverage of Rs. 1.5 crore is sufficient. Ensure it continues post-retirement and consider adding top-up plans if needed.

Regularly review your investment portfolio and rebalance it to maintain the desired asset allocation. Adjust based on market conditions and your financial goals.

Maintain an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of expenses to ensure liquidity for unforeseen expenses.

Diversify your investments across asset classes to reduce risk and avoid putting all your money in one type of investment.

Monitoring Expenses
Track Expenses

Keep track of your expenses and adjust your budget if needed to ensure you stay within your retirement income.

Manage Lifestyle Inflation

Be cautious of lifestyle inflation. As your income grows, avoid unnecessary expenses that can erode your savings.

Tax-Efficient Withdrawals

Plan your withdrawals to minimize tax liability by using systematic withdrawal plans (SWP) from mutual funds for regular income.

Utilize Tax Benefits

Take advantage of tax-saving investments under Section 80C, 80D, and other applicable sections to reduce your taxable income.

Retirement planning requires careful analysis and strategy. With your current savings and planned investments, you’re on the right track. By optimizing your investments, increasing savings, and managing expenses, you can build a sufficient retirement corpus.

Ensure regular review and rebalancing of your portfolio. Work with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) to tailor your strategy and achieve your retirement goals.

I am 55. My son is a doctor and pursuing his master's in general surgery in a govt college. My wife is working in a govt organisation. We have own house and no loan. I have savings of about ?1Cr in PF and about ?30 lacs each in NPS and a superannuation scheme from my company. Apart from this, ? 20 lacs worth mutual funds units and same amount in FDs and RDs is invested. I have also invested directly in shares of Blue chip as well as mid and small cap companies. The invested amount is about ?2.0 Cr/- with an enhanced market value at present. My query is that I wish to retire now. In 2-3 months. The future expenditure is my son's higher studies and marriage apart from my health related expenses if any. My wife may or may not continue to work. How should I plan now?
Ans: Assessing Your Financial Position
You have a solid financial foundation with diverse investments. This is commendable, as diversification is crucial for financial security. Your portfolio includes provident fund (PF), national pension system (NPS), superannuation scheme, mutual funds, fixed deposits (FDs), recurring deposits (RDs), and direct equity investments. This mix provides a balance between growth potential and capital protection.

Current Investments Breakdown
Provident Fund (PF): Rs 1 crore
National Pension System (NPS): Rs 30 lakh
Superannuation Scheme: Rs 30 lakh
Mutual Funds: Rs 20 lakh
Fixed Deposits (FDs) and Recurring Deposits (RDs): Rs 20 lakh
Direct Equity Investments: Rs 2 crore (current market value)
Retirement Readiness
At 55, retiring in the next 2-3 months is a significant decision. Let's analyze if your current assets can support your retirement goals and future expenditures. You mentioned your future expenses include your son's higher studies and marriage, as well as potential health-related costs.

Future Expenditure Considerations
Son's Higher Studies: Ensure you allocate sufficient funds for his education. Government medical colleges are relatively affordable, but higher studies may require a substantial amount.
Son's Marriage: Plan for the associated expenses. Cultural norms and personal preferences will dictate this budget.
Health-Related Expenses: As you age, healthcare costs may increase. Ensure you have a robust health insurance policy and an emergency fund for unexpected medical expenses.
Income Generation Post-Retirement
Your investments must generate enough income to cover your living expenses and the additional future costs mentioned. Let's evaluate the potential income from your existing investments.

Provident Fund (PF)
The provident fund is a secure investment, providing steady returns. Consider partially withdrawing from your PF as needed, while letting the remaining amount grow. This strategy can provide liquidity without sacrificing growth.

NPS is designed to provide a regular pension post-retirement. Upon retirement, you can withdraw a portion of your NPS corpus and invest the remaining in an annuity to receive regular monthly income. However, avoid recommending annuities as an investment option due to limited flexibility and lower returns.

Superannuation Scheme
Similar to NPS, superannuation schemes offer regular payouts post-retirement. Evaluate the terms of your superannuation scheme and plan withdrawals to complement other income sources.

Mutual funds offer growth potential and liquidity. Actively managed funds, guided by professional fund managers, can outperform the market, making them a valuable part of your portfolio. Continue investing through a Certified Financial Planner to ensure optimal fund selection and management.

Fixed Deposits (FDs) and Recurring Deposits (RDs)
FDs and RDs provide stability and guaranteed returns. They are excellent for preserving capital but may not beat inflation. Use these investments for short-term needs and emergency funds.

Direct Equity Investments
Your direct equity investments in blue-chip, mid-cap, and small-cap companies have substantial growth potential. Regularly review and rebalance this portfolio to align with market conditions and your risk tolerance. Consult a Certified Financial Planner for strategic management.

Strategic Withdrawal Plan
To ensure your funds last throughout retirement, develop a strategic withdrawal plan. Here are key steps to consider:

Create a Budget: Outline your monthly expenses and anticipated future costs. Include living expenses, healthcare, and discretionary spending.
Prioritize Withdrawals: Withdraw from lower-yield, stable investments first (like FDs and RDs), preserving higher-growth investments (like mutual funds and equities) for long-term needs.
Maintain an Emergency Fund: Set aside 6-12 months of expenses in a highly liquid account to cover unexpected costs.
Health Insurance: Ensure you have comprehensive health insurance coverage to mitigate healthcare costs.
Review Regularly: Periodically review and adjust your withdrawal strategy with a Certified Financial Planner to stay aligned with changing circumstances and market conditions.
Retirement planning involves managing various risks, such as market volatility, inflation, and unexpected expenses. Here are strategies to mitigate these risks:

Diversification: Maintain a diversified portfolio to spread risk across different asset classes.
Inflation Protection: Invest in assets that offer returns above inflation, such as equities and actively managed mutual funds.
Regular Reviews: Conduct regular portfolio reviews with your Certified Financial Planner to adjust your strategy based on market conditions and personal needs.
Emergency Fund: Keep an emergency fund to handle unforeseen expenses without disrupting your investment strategy.
Effective tax planning can enhance your retirement corpus. Here are some tax-saving strategies:

Tax-Efficient Withdrawals: Plan your withdrawals from different investment accounts in a tax-efficient manner. Withdraw from tax-exempt sources first.
Utilize Deductions: Make use of available tax deductions under sections like 80C, 80D, etc.
Reinvest Returns: Reinvest returns from investments to take advantage of compounding and tax deferral.
Consult a Tax Expert: Work with a tax expert to ensure you are maximizing tax benefits and staying compliant with tax laws.
Estate Planning
Estate planning ensures your assets are distributed according to your wishes after your demise. Here are steps for effective estate planning:

Draft a Will: Ensure you have a legally valid will that clearly outlines the distribution of your assets.
Nominate Beneficiaries: Ensure all your financial accounts and insurance policies have updated nominee information.
Power of Attorney: Appoint a trusted person to handle your financial affairs if you become incapacitated.
Trusts: Consider setting up trusts for managing and protecting your assets.
Involving Your Family
Involving your family in financial planning ensures they are aware of your financial situation and wishes. Here are ways to involve them:

Open Communication: Discuss your financial plans and decisions with your wife and son.
Financial Literacy: Educate your family about managing finances, investments, and the importance of financial planning.
Joint Decisions: Make major financial decisions jointly to ensure alignment and support.
Succession Planning: Prepare your son to handle finances and investments in the future.
Reviewing Insurance Coverage
Adequate insurance coverage is crucial for protecting your family’s financial well-being. Here are key insurance types to review:

Health Insurance: Ensure you and your wife have comprehensive health insurance to cover medical expenses.
Life Insurance: Review your life insurance policies to ensure they provide adequate coverage for your family’s needs.
Home Insurance: Protect your home and valuable possessions with appropriate home insurance.
Lifestyle Considerations
Retirement is not just about financial security; it’s also about enjoying your time. Here are lifestyle considerations:

Hobbies and Interests: Engage in activities and hobbies that you enjoy and find fulfilling.
Travel Plans: Plan for travel and leisure activities within your budget.
Volunteering: Consider volunteering or engaging in community service for personal satisfaction.
Health and Wellness: Focus on maintaining good health through regular exercise, a balanced diet, and preventive healthcare.
You are in a strong financial position to retire, given your diversified investments and substantial assets. Proper planning and strategic management of your portfolio will ensure a comfortable and secure retirement. Collaborate with a Certified Financial Planner to fine-tune your strategy, manage risks, and make informed decisions. By addressing future expenses, healthcare needs, and maintaining a balanced lifestyle, you can enjoy a fulfilling retirement.

Sir, is it good to get into IIT Tirupathi for CSE or BITS Goa ECE ?
Ans: Some factors to consider before you decide out of these 2 Institutes (1) ECE is slightly tougher than CSE (2) Number of Recruiters / Companies visiting for Campus Recruitment will be lesser compared to CSE (3) Some IT Companies prefer even ECE Students during Campus Recruitment (3) Fees is much on higher side in BITS. Around 35.00 Lacs you will have to spend, whereas IIT-T is much affordable. (4) Your Interest: CSE or ECE?. Think for 5-minutes over these factors. You will be able to decide the better and more suitable one for you. All The BEST for your Bright Future. To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs, | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Management Quota Admission Ideal or Not? | Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Labour Laws | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad) | SOP Writing Tips’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here