Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Jul 29, 2022

Murali Question by Murali on Jul 29, 2022Translate

I have a unique situation and so a unique query. 

I have a medical insurance and a top up insurance since 2020 for my family of 4 (me, my wife and 2 children). I have renewed it on time so far. The current renewal is due soon. 

Meanwhile, I had to travel to the USA to meet my family, where my wife is employed on non-immigration visa for short term, with employer insurance for her and the family. 

During my stay in the USA, I unfortunately had a massive heart attack. The insurance took care of the expenses as per the policy. 

My question is, when I come back to India, will the insurer cover me for this heart attack (does it become pre-existing now?), related treatment expenses?

What are the IRDAI guidelines for such cases? What are my responsibilities? Will premiums increase? Will waiting period increase? Hope you can help. 

Ans: Hi Murali, sorry to hear about your health and wish you a speedy recovery. To answer your question, if there is no waiting period for heart attack in your policy then the same will be covered in the policy for any treatment done in India.

I suggest you to kindly declare the said ailment to the insurer. The premium will not increase considering this factor as the said ailment occurred after the policy issuance.

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Sep 08, 2022

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Oct 12, 2022

I am an employee of central govt. PSU. My family consists of myself, spouse, two minor children and mother. I am covered by a corporate group medical insurance policy for Rs 2 lakh with an additional emergency coverage of Rs 4 lakh by the employer. I also have a personal Family Floater policy for Rs 3 lakh and a Sr. Ctzn. Policy for Rs 1 lakh. I have not used the personal policies till date for any hospitalisation claim. I am aware that a claim exceeding the corporate policy limit can be claimed in the personal policy. Recently I was made to know that any planned hospitalisation exceeding the corporate claim limit, cannot be done using the second policy. I also know that there is a product called as top up policy which can be used in such cases. I have 8 years of remaining service where there is a medical insurance cover during the period. After retirement, the employer provides a basic policy of 1.5 lakh for the family. The same feels to be insufficient in today’s times. What would be your advice with regards to the existing medical insurance policies and their amounts? Should I need to undertake any tweaking of the policy amounts or switch to a top up policy?
Ans: Hi Pradeep, yours is a legit concern. It would be best if you take advice from a professional person or company – having the necessary qualifications -- after discussing your issue with them.

Insurance is each to its own. Depending on your concerns and requirements a professional service provider will be able to give you the best advice, whether to tweak policy amount or switch to top up.

Asked by Anonymous - Jan 31, 2024Translate
HI Sir, do you know of any insurance company in India offering overseas travel insurance policy covering pre-existing heart ailments? I would like to know more about such a policy.
Ans: Let me offer some pointers on finding travel insurance for pre-existing heart ailments. It's essential to contact insurance providers directly for the most accurate and up-to-date information. Here are some steps you can take:

Research Insurance Providers:

Start by researching companies like ICICI Lombard, HDFC ERGO, Tata AIG, and others which commonly provide such policies.

Contact Customer Service:

Reach out to the customer service or support teams of these insurance companies. You can find their contact information on their official websites.

Ask about Pre-existing Conditions:

Inquire specifically about travel insurance policies that cover pre-existing heart ailments. Provide details about the condition and ask about coverage, exclusions, and any additional requirements.

Review Policy Documents:

Carefully review the policy documents, terms, and conditions. Pay attention to the coverage limits, exclusions, and any waiting periods that may apply to pre-existing conditions.

Compare Policies:

Compare the offerings of different insurance providers to ensure you get the best coverage for your needs. Consider factors such as coverage limits, premium costs, and the extent of coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Medical Check-up Requirements:

Some insurers may require a medical check-up before providing coverage for pre-existing conditions. Understand any such requirements and fulfill them if needed.

Declare Pre-existing Conditions:

Ensure that you declare your pre-existing heart ailment accurately during the application process. Failure to disclose relevant information may lead to claim rejection.

Seek Professional Advice:

If you have specific concerns or requirements related to your health condition, consider consulting an insurance advisor or broker for personalised guidance.

Remember that policies and offerings can change, so it's crucial to verify the latest information directly with the insurance companies. Always read the terms and conditions thoroughly to understand the coverage and limitations of the policy.