Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Oct 12, 2022

Pradeep Question by Pradeep on Oct 12, 2022Translate

I am an employee of central govt. PSU. My family consists of myself, spouse, two minor children and mother. I am covered by a corporate group medical insurance policy for Rs 2 lakh with an additional emergency coverage of Rs 4 lakh by the employer.

I also have a personal Family Floater policy for Rs 3 lakh and a Sr. Ctzn. Policy for Rs 1 lakh.

I have not used the personal policies till date for any hospitalisation claim.

I am aware that a claim exceeding the corporate policy limit can be claimed in the personal policy. Recently I was made to know that any planned hospitalisation exceeding the corporate claim limit, cannot be done using the second policy.

I also know that there is a product called as top up policy which can be used in such cases.

I have 8 years of remaining service where there is a medical insurance cover during the period.

After retirement, the employer provides a basic policy of 1.5 lakh for the family. The same feels to be insufficient in today’s times.

What would be your advice with regards to the existing medical insurance policies and their amounts? Should I need to undertake any tweaking of the policy amounts or switch to a top up policy?

Ans: Hi Pradeep, yours is a legit concern. It would be best if you take advice from a professional person or company – having the necessary qualifications -- after discussing your issue with them.

Insurance is each to its own. Depending on your concerns and requirements a professional service provider will be able to give you the best advice, whether to tweak policy amount or switch to top up.

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Sep 23, 2022

I am 73 (DOB 10-07-1949). I had an open heart surgery in Sept., 1999. I am taking blood thinner otherwise ok. My wife is 66 (DOB 13-09-1956). She has no problems. I have a 5L Family Floater health insurance from Oriental Insurance - Bank Saathi Policy at an annual premium of about Rs. 35,000 for self and wife. Since in these days this is not sufficient, I want another policy for 5L or Top Up for 5 / 10 L for self and wife. Please advise an honest suitable minimum cost affordable policy since I have limited capacity to pay because my life time savings in Punjab & Maharashtra co-op Bank Ltd., Mumbai, has been looted by bank Management, Senior Employees, HDIL Construction Co. (Wadwhans), RBI, Politicians and Govt. Another point. Earlier I had policies with National Insurance, New India Insurance and Oriental Insurance from my Bank tie-up but one after the other they broke the tie up with Banks and offered their direct policy raising annual premium from 11,000 to 43,000 (National Insurance) and others also on same lines because they follow dishonest business policy and just want to loot the common man. How anybody can afford such increase after 8 years with Govt. co. insurance Policy? IRDA is also on their side being dishonest. Not only private but Govt. cos. are also dishonest, corrupt and want to kill the common man.
Ans: Hi Mr RN Mitra, sorry to hear about your condition, wish you good health and recovery.

As far as the top up plan is considered, given your age and pre-existing diseases, your risk profile is high and most insurers may not be able to offer Super top up plans.

The best option is to apply for a new base plan with a higher sum insured, however the premium will be on the higher side.

Financial Planner - Answered on Jan 31, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jan 30, 2024Translate
Hi I have taken an insurance Policy : Click 2 Protect 3D policy. its a combi policy where Term Insurance is from HDFC Life and Health Insurance from ERGO (In first year it was Apollo Munich). Its been 5 years since I have been paying the premiums, every year the health premium increased. Recently I paid 60k as premium where initially it was 54k. here Term is around 18K odd, rest is for health. I feel I am being charged more for lesser benefits, the insurance covers my wife and two kids (9 years) and me. By God's Grace till date its no claim policy. The base cover is 4L and added benefits is 4L. I see , their counter parties offer more benefits for such an amount say 40K. i tried to shift to Star Health but portability denied saying it is not possible since it is combined policy. Here i want more cover or able to port to other service provider. What shall I do?
Ans: It's understandable that you're concerned about the increasing premiums and the perceived lack of benefits in your current insurance policy. Here are some steps you can consider:

• Review Your Policy Documents: Make sure to thoroughly review your insurance policy documents. Understand the terms and conditions, coverage details, and any clauses related to premium increases. It's essential to be aware of the specifics of your current policy before making any decisions.
• Compare Policies: Compare the benefits and premiums of your current policy with those offered by other insurance providers in the market. Look for policies that provide similar or better coverage at a more reasonable cost. Take into account the coverage for both term insurance and health insurance.
• Contact Your Current Provider: Reach out to HDFC Life and ERGO to discuss your concerns. Inquire about the reasons for the premium increase and whether there are any options to customise your policy to better suit your needs without compromising coverage. Sometimes, providers may have different plans or options that could better fit your requirements.
• Explore Portability Again: Since you mentioned that Star Health denied portability, consider reaching out to other insurance providers to explore portability options. Different providers may have different policies on porting combined policies, and it's worth checking with multiple companies.
• Seek Professional Advice: Consult with a financial advisor or insurance expert to get personalised advice based on your specific situation. They can help you understand the nuances of your policy, assess your needs, and guide you on the best course of action.
• Consider Separate Policies: If portability remains challenging, you may explore the option of having separate term insurance and health insurance policies from different providers. This way, you can tailor each policy to your specific needs and potentially save on costs.
• Stay Informed About Regulatory Changes: Keep yourself informed about any regulatory changes in the insurance industry that may impact your policy. Sometimes, regulatory changes can affect premium calculations or portability options.

Remember that making changes to insurance policies requires careful consideration, and it's crucial to ensure that you maintain adequate coverage for your family's needs. Always read the terms and conditions of any new policy thoroughly before making a decision. If needed, seek legal or financial advice to make an informed decision.

Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations