Tax Expert - Answered on Dec 06, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
DINESH Question by DINESH on Nov 26, 2023Translate

Sub: HDFC Merger with HDFC Bank : Tax implications for shareholders I often read your excellent and concise replies to the tax queries of readers which are a source of guidance for the common man. I had purchased shares of HDFC as well as shares of HDFC Bank in several tranches over a long period of 17 years from 2006 onwards. Please guide me as to how to report these transactions in Schedule 112A of ITR which does not accept fractional quantities of shares and how to calculate long term capital gains. I file my IT Returns online myself.

Ans: In case of fractional quantities, you can round off the quantities and adjust Sale consideration/Cost to the extent capital gain amount remain the same.

Further, tax on LTCG was introduced from 1.02.2018. Thus, Fair Market Value as of 31st Jan 2018 is considered as cost of acquisition calculation (provided sell value is higher and actual cost is lower).

Hardik

Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Jul 18, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 10, 2023Translate
Dear Hardik ji, My mother sold her old house and against it purchased two plots wherein she added me as joint owner (all transactions are from her saving account). Now i have following two questions: 1. Under which ITR form and which head in ITR she has to declare /report following 4 things: sales proceeds, long term capital gain, capital gain tax paid and declare purchase value of plots.( So far, I file her ITR on her behalf every year under Form1 -Sahaj). 2. Do i need to also declare /report purchase of plots while filing my ITR ,since she made me co-owner and under what head (So far I file under form2 as have share investements). Kindly guide ?
Ans: Namaste,

I understand your situation and I'll try to provide a simple explanation.

For your mother's case, since she has sold a property and made a long-term capital gain, she will need to file her Income Tax Return (ITR) using Form 2 instead of Sahaj (Form 1). The reason being, Form 1 is for individuals having income from salaries, one house property, other sources (interest etc.) and having total income up to Rs 50 lakh. However, in your mother's case, there is a capital gain involved, so Form 2 is more appropriate.
The sale proceeds of the house will be reported under the head 'Capital Gains'. The purchase value of the plots will be reported as the 'Cost of Acquisition' under the same head. The capital gain tax paid will be reported in the 'Taxes Paid and Verification' section.
As for your case, since you have been made a co-owner of the plots, you should also declare this in your ITR. However, as you have not contributed to the purchase, it will not have any tax implications for you. You can mention it under the 'Asset and Liability' section if your taxable income exceeds Rs 50 lakh.
Please note that this is general advice and the exact details may vary based on the specifics of the transactions. It's always a good idea to consult with a tax advisor or chartered accountant to ensure all details are accurately reported.

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.