Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Feb 02, 2023

Hi Sanjib, how would the tax on insurance/mediclaim premium affect taxpayers? Who is liable to pay tax on insurance premium What is the maximum limit beyond which mediclaim premium is taxable?

Ans: Hi, you can claim the tax for health insurance plans under section 80D. The tax exemption is of upto Rs.25000/-. Anybody who falls under the tax bracket can avail such tax benefit.

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on May 31, 2022

I read your today's article about Mediclaim: What You Must Know. Thank you for some important information and points shared. I have some questions about the Mediclaim policy. I have been buying a Mediclaim policy since 2007 and I have not claimed it till last month. Last week I was hospitalized for gall bladder stone surgery. When I asked the hospital to use the cashless option on my Mediclaim policy for claims they gave an estimated cost of about 1 lakh. And same if I claim myself, they gave an estimated cost near about 55 thousand.  1. Why and what is the difference between these charges? How did the TPA approve cashless? Is there any guideline or standard process for hospitals that can claim more charges in cashless options? 2. Why do cashless charge more? Due to this type of charges for cashless claims the sum insured amount decreases after treatment. We can utilise the same difference charges amount for another treatment.
Ans: Hi Vilas, in order to understand the difference in the estimated costs, you should ask the hospital on what parameters they have estimated the two costs. Questions on treatment protocol, room charges and type, doctor’s fee etc., should be asked.

When choosing cashless treatment, the patients often opt for the best facilities that they may not have opted for otherwise. Sometimes hospitals may run some additional tests as well in order to avoid back and forth on your claim settlements, when it is a direct transaction between insurer and the hospital.

However, if you feel that you are being overcharged, then you should report any discrepancy in what you are being charged for, to the insurer. Insurance companies take such cases very seriously, which is why insurers have preferred network hospitals that agree on a certain pricing for various treatments and other tariffs.

In case it is observed that there is any abuse of cost or sum insured then there is a chance of being de-paneled and hence a check is in place.

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

This is Bobby here and have a few questions related to your article (enclosed), Mediclaim: What You Must Know Would like to know, with your experience in this field, as to: 1. Which mediclaim policy or policies, currently in INDIA and especially Mumbai has all the required coverage as mentioned in your article 2. We are a family of 3 with a school going child and both of us are aged 45 3. Have acquired diabetes a few months ago and have hepatitis B and kidney stones  4. What should be the approximate premium, per annum to cover all that is mentioned in your article and keep us safe from the issues arising out if and when we really require hospitalisation and save us from rejected claims.   5. Presently we are covered under Mediclaim policy from Star Health Would be highly obliged should you guide us on the above to make our lives easier.
Ans: Hi Bhupesh, there is no ‘one size fits all’ concept with health insurance. Health insurance is based on preferences of the customer and then the premium quotes are generated based on those factors. You can use insurance broking websites to compare the offerings on the mentioned 5 factors and the premiums for various policies that will help you to compare their benefits and make an informed choice. Depending on your priorities, weigh out the factors and decide accordingly.

Since you have mentioned about your family, you can opt for Family Health Insurance policies with an appropriate sum insured to cover your entire family. Like I have mentioned before, premiums are unique to individuals depending on their preferences, the sum insured they deem suitable, the riders they choose, their medical history etc.

What you can do to ensure you buy the correct policy for yourself is to evaluate policies carefully, keeping in mind the 5 important parameters.

:

Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations