Samkit

Samkit Maniar  |101 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 26, 2024

CA Samkit Maniar has eight years of experience in income tax, mergers and acquisitions and estate planning.

I purchased a industrial property in1993 For 10 lakhs. Now the value is about 22 crores. I will invest the sale proceeds for a house of 1 cr . If I sell the property how much Capital gain tax I have to pay

Ans: Assuming sales consideration is 22 crs then you will get the exemption to the extent of 1/22.

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 29, 2023

I have purchased a land of Rs. 2.5 Lacs in 2001 and start constructions on that in 2005 with 2 floors and also completed the constructions with in 5 months. Taken a loan from DHFL of Rs. 5 Lac and also repaid in next 2-3 years. Just two years back also extended one floor. Now there is 3 complete floor and one half floor is there. If today I sell this property (which is approx 80 sqyds plot size) in 70 lacs then how much capital gain tax (if applicable) I need to pay. Pl. also note that we don't so much documents for constructions related and total exp. is around 25-30 Lacs on that.
Ans: To calculate the capital gains tax on the sale of your property, we need to consider the acquisition cost, the cost of improvement, and the sale proceeds. Let's break down the calculations:

Acquisition Cost:
The acquisition cost is the amount you paid for the land in 2001, which is Rs. 2.5 lakhs.

Cost of Improvement:
The cost of improvement includes the expenses incurred for construction and any subsequent additions or extensions made to the property. In this case, it includes the construction of the initial two floors, the extension of one floor, and any other related expenses. You mentioned that the total expenses were around 25-30 lakhs. Let's assume the cost of improvement is Rs. 28 lakhs.

Indexed Cost of Acquisition and Improvement:
To adjust the acquisition cost and cost of improvement for inflation, we need to calculate the indexed cost. The indexed cost is calculated using the Cost Inflation Index (CII) provided by the Income Tax Department. The CII for the relevant years can be found on the Income Tax Department's website.

Let's assume the CII for the year 2001-2002 was 100 and for the current financial year, it is 317.

Indexed Cost of Acquisition = Acquisition Cost × (CII for the year of sale/CII for the year of acquisition)
Indexed Cost of Acquisition = Rs. 2.5 lakhs × (317/100) = Rs. 7,92,500

Indexed Cost of Improvement = Cost of Improvement × (CII for the year of sale/CII for the year of improvement)
Indexed Cost of Improvement = Rs. 28 lakhs × (317/100) = Rs. 88,76,000

Capital Gain:
To calculate the capital gain, deduct the indexed cost of acquisition and the indexed cost of improvement from the sale proceeds.
Capital Gain = Sale Proceeds - (Indexed Cost of Acquisition + Indexed Cost of Improvement)
Capital Gain = Rs. 70 lakhs - (Rs. 7,92,500 + Rs. 88,76,000)
Capital Gain = Rs. -26,68,500 (Assuming the indexed cost is higher than the sale proceeds)

Since the calculated capital gain is negative, it means there is no capital gain tax applicable in this case. This is because the sale proceeds are less than the indexed cost of acquisition and improvement.

Hi I am a 35-year-old woman and my husband is 45. we are made for each other couple. we love each other and we do not have any compatibility issues except in romance. he is not very romantic and even throughout my younger years I was also not very romantic and immersed myself in studies and career. He is not very active in sex also. A few years back I told him that I wanted to be romantic after marriage and now we are not, so I missed my college and early office days when I was in my prime and could have been romantically involved with guys. Since I look very young even at 35, he suggested that I still can move around with guys and get romantic and I need not miss anything even now. though initially declining the offer, I moved a little freely toward men, mostly colleagues, and a few social club members. I encouraged late-night messages, coffee meets, movies, etc. I update my husband on every single event that happens. ex, if I went to a movie with a colleague, I will message my hubby " We kissed", if that happened. he encourages me so much and is happy with whatever is happening, cutting a long story short. though I didn't think it would go so far, I am now romantically very active. soft romance-like messages I do with many. Dating I don't say no to my known circle like colleagues, ex-colleagues, college mates, etc and almost 2-3 times a week I end up dating someone in a coffee shop, pub, or a long drive. A few times I initiate a date too. and I must confess that I have regular intimacy with four young men, all from the same office where I work. I have never hidden anything from my hubby and give a complete account every day. I offered to stop everything any moment he said. but he told me till age is there enjoy life!. I am emotionally connected to my husband only and I do all my responsibilities as a woman. Our relationship has grown manifold. My only question is, am I exploiting my husband's innocence or does he have a cuckold fantasy? If I continue the way I continue with no harm to anyone, can I keep doing it ( I love to). or I should stop at once?

After reading your question I understood that your partner and you have, what we call, an open relationship. As long as both partners are okay with the dynamics of it, and no one is emotionally hurt, or resisting, it should be okay. It isn't exploitation if your husband himself encourages you. You are both consenting adults and not harming each other or anyone else. As for your question, if he has a cuckold fantasy, that is something you should discuss with your husband. An open discussion is better than speculation. Also, at any time if you suspect that your husband is growing concerned about the nature of your relationship, ask him directly. It can help avoid misunderstandings.

Hello sir mai 28 year ki hoo mai abhi llb kar rahi hoo mai last 7 year se relationship mai hoo vo mujse 25 year bade hai saruaat 1 to 2 year inhone muje bhot priorities di ab hum 3 to 4 month mai kabhi milte hai hum dono alag alag city mai hai unki bhot badi family hai or finincially bhi problem chal rahi hai last 3 yaer se vo.muje priority nai de rahe hum.roj bat karte hai vo mera khyal bhi rakhte hai lekin muje unse ab dur nai hona mene sadi na karne ka decisions Liya hai lekin kitni bar bhot akela feel karti hoo vo muje itna time nai dete phele jaisa nai hai aisa lagta hai.fir vo ku6 help kar de ya pyar se bat bhi kar le.to.lagta hai sab theek hai mai.bhot confused hoo mai.kya karu muje kya karna chahiye ..

Dating someone older than you is not the problem, but the fact that you are making major life decisions based on what he wants and doesn't want is concerning. I am guessing that you decided to not get married because he doesn't want it either. Is that fair to you? You yourself mentioned that you often feel lonely. Don't you think you deserve better? Don't you deserve someone who would love you and would like to spend the rest of their life with you? Please reconsider this relationship. Speak to your partner and ask him what his plans are for the future. Does he want to settle down with you? How will you two continue this relationship in the future? There are many important questions that need answering. Sort them out and you will have the solution to your dilemma.