Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Nikunj Saraf  |308 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds Expert - Answered on Mar 18, 2023

Nikunj Saraf has more than five years of experience in financial markets and offers advice about mutual funds. He is vice president at Choice Wealth, a financial institution that offers broking, insurance, loans and government advisory services. Saraf, who is a member of the Institute Of Chartered Accountants of India, has a strong base in financial markets and wealth management.... more
JASKARAN Question by JASKARAN on Mar 02, 2023Hindi

Hi Nikunj. I am 39 years working professional and currently investing in following mutual funds :- 1. HDFC Mid-Cap Opp. Fund (Growth)- Rs.12000/- month. 2. HDFC Capital Builder Value Fund (Regular)- Rs.12000/- month 3. SBI Blue Chip Fund - Rs.2000/- month 4. Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund (Regular)- Rs.2000/- month 5. HDFC Balance Advantage Fund (Regular)- Rs.5000/- month. Please give your opinion whether my portfolio is good for long term goals or some change is required. Thanks in advance.

Ans: Hi Jaskaran. Your current investment portfolio shows that 80% of your investments are in one AMC i.e. HDFC. Hence, I would suggest that AMC-wise diversification is required in your portfolio. In addition, I recommend you to add large & mid , and small cap categories in your future investments with proper allocations.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Apr 20, 2023

My name is Santosh Roy 47years I'm investing in following MFs. 1. Axis Bluechip Fund -- Rs 1,000/month 2. ICICI prudential focused Bluechip fund-Rs.1000/month 3. Kotak Small Cap Fund -- Rs 2,000/month 4. Mirae Asset Largecap Fund -- Rs 1000/month 5.Nippon India Small Cap Fund -- Rs 2500/month 6.Kotak Flexi Cap Fund -- Rs 4000/month. 7. Quant active fund- Rs.2000/month 8. UTI Nifty 50 index fund- Rs.2000/month 9. Canara robeco flexi cap fund - Rs.2000/month My investment horizon is 15 years, moderately high risk appetite with focus on maximum corpus build. Kindly advise if my portfolio needs any change? Thanks.
Ans: Dear Santosh,

Thank you for sharing your mutual fund investments with me. It's great to see that you've been proactive in planning for your future. Based on the details provided, I understand that you have a moderately high risk appetite and are looking to build a maximum corpus over a 15-year investment horizon.

Your current portfolio has a good mix of large-cap, small-cap, flexi-cap, and index funds, which is important for diversification. I do have a few suggestions to consider for optimizing your portfolio:

Axis Bluechip Fund and ICICI Prudential Focused Bluechip Fund: As both funds are focused on large-cap stocks, you might consider consolidating these investments into one fund. You can choose the one you feel has the better performance and management. This will help you streamline your portfolio and minimize overlap.
Kotak Small Cap Fund and Nippon India Small Cap Fund: Similarly, you have two small-cap funds, and you might want to consider consolidating these investments as well. This will reduce redundancy and allow you to focus on the best-performing small-cap fund.
UTI Nifty 50 Index Fund: Since you already have exposure to large-cap funds, you could consider increasing your investment in this index fund, as it's a low-cost option to gain access to the top 50 companies in India. This will help in maintaining diversification while keeping costs low.
Quant Active Fund: This fund has a unique investment approach and might add some unpredictability to your portfolio. You could consider reallocating the funds invested in this scheme to the other funds you hold, which have a more consistent track record.
After you make these adjustments, you could reallocate the funds saved from consolidation into the remaining funds based on your risk appetite and return expectations. For instance, you can increase your allocation to the flexi-cap and small-cap funds if you're comfortable with higher risk for potentially higher returns.

Lastly, it's crucial to periodically review your portfolio and make adjustments as needed. As your goals, risk appetite, and market conditions change, you may need to rebalance your investments to ensure they remain aligned with your objectives.

Please note that these suggestions are based on the limited information provided and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. I strongly recommend consulting a professional financial advisor before making any significant changes to your investment portfolio.

Best of luck with your investments!

Warm regards
Latest Questions

Maxim Emmanuel  |169 Answers  |Ask -

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Apr 25, 2024

Sir, .I have worked for 5.5 years in my last company but my HR says that I will receive gratuity for 5 years. For those who have worked for 4.5 years, they give it for 5 years but in cases like mine, they reduce it. Also, they have deducted 30 days of my EL w/o giving any logical reasoning saying they do it for all. Pls guide what should I do.
Ans: I have give you a brief explanation about how gratuity is calculated.
Sure this will assist you in understanding the methodologies.

The amount of gratuity for employees whose employer is covered under the Gratuity Act can be calculated using the formula:
Gratuity = n*b*15 / 26

Where n = Tenure of service completed in the company
b = Last drawn basic salary + dearness allowance

For example, you have worked with the XYZ company for a period of 15 years. Your last drawn basic salary along with dearness allowance was Rs 30,000. Hence:

The amount of gratuity = 15 * 30,000 * 15 / 26 = Rs 2,59,615

Two points must be noted here:

As per the Gratuity Act, the amount of gratuity cannot be more than Rs 20 lakh. Any excesses would be treated as ex-gratia.

If the number of years you have worked in the last year of employment is more than six months, then it will be rounded to the nearest figure. Suppose your tenure of service is 16 years 7 months, then you receive the gratuity for 17 years. Otherwise, its for 16 years if it happens to be 16 years 4 months.
In your case 5 years 5 months hence 5 year's as you are below the half yearly for upper round up.

For employees whose employer is not covered under the Gratuity Act, the gratuity amount would be calculated as per the half-month salary on each completed year of service.
The formula is: (15 * Your last drawn salary * the working tenure) / 30.

For example, you have a basic salary of Rs 30,000. You have rendered continuous service of 7 years and the employer is not covered under the Gratuity Act.

Gratuity Amount = (15 * 30,000 * 7) / 30 = Rs 1,05,000.

In regard to your leave,please get a clarification from your HR, as to why they have deducted 30 days of earned leave.

Kanchan Rai  |168 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Apr 24, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Apr 23, 2024Hindi
My son is 13, diagnosed with anxiety spectrum at age 8.His medications have reduced , takes fluvoximine 50 at night, but has social media addiction,what should i do?
Ans: Managing a child's social media addiction, especially when they have underlying mental health concerns like anxiety, can be challenging but crucial for their well-being. Start by having an open and non-judgmental conversation with your son about his social media use. Express your concerns about how excessive screen time can impact his mental health and overall well-being.Establish clear rules and boundaries around screen time and social media use. This could include limiting the amount of time he spends on social media each day or setting specific times when he's allowed to use it.
Lead by Example: Model healthy screen time habits yourself. Show your son that you prioritize face-to-face interactions, hobbies, and other activities over excessive screen time.Encourage your son to engage in offline activities that he enjoys and that promote social interaction, physical activity, and creativity. This could include sports, hobbies, art, or spending time with friends and family.Keep an eye on your son's social media use and monitor the content he's consuming. Consider using parental control apps or settings to limit access to certain apps or websites.If your son's social media addiction is significantly impacting his mental health or daily functioning, consider seeking support from a therapist or counselor who specializes in treating addiction and/or anxiety. They can provide individualized strategies and support for managing his social media use in a healthy way.
Encourage Healthy Coping Strategies: Help your son develop healthy coping strategies for managing his anxiety, such as mindfulness, deep breathing exercises, or engaging in calming activities when he feels overwhelmed.
By taking proactive steps to address your son's social media addiction and providing support for his anxiety, you can help him develop healthier habits and improve his overall well-being. Remember to approach the situation with empathy, patience, and understanding, and seek professional support if needed.

Kanchan Rai  |168 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Apr 24, 2024

Hi ! I am a 38 year old divorced woman. Its almost 10 years that I got divorced, from a man with whom I was married for 2 months. Since then, I never had a long relationship with anyone. For the past 1 month, I feel I have developed feelings for my cousin (sister) who is 10 years older to me. She too is divorced, long back. (2006). I understand she too has feelings for me. What should I do. Please suggest.
Ans: Navigating feelings for a family member can be complex, especially when considering societal norms and potential family dynamics. It's understandable to feel uncertain about how to proceed in such a situation.

First and foremost, it's important to consider the potential implications and consequences of pursuing a romantic relationship with your cousin. While relationships between cousins are not legally prohibited in many places, they can sometimes face social stigma or disapproval from family members.

Before taking any further steps, it's crucial to have open and honest communication with your cousin about your feelings and concerns. Discussing your mutual feelings in a respectful and sensitive manner can help both of you understand each other's perspectives and make informed decisions about how to move forward.

Additionally, it may be beneficial to seek guidance from a therapist or counselor who can provide support and help you navigate your feelings and the potential impact on your family dynamic. They can also offer strategies for communicating effectively and managing any challenges that may arise.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to pursue a romantic relationship with your cousin is a deeply personal one that only you and your cousin can make. It's essential to prioritize open communication, mutual respect, and consideration for the feelings and well-being of everyone involved.

Regardless of the outcome, remember that you deserve to pursue happiness and fulfillment in your relationships, and seeking support from trusted friends, family members, or professionals can help you navigate this situation with clarity and confidence.

Kanchan Rai  |168 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Apr 24, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Apr 16, 2024Hindi
I got married three months ago, during courtship period my ex was in my office but then my marriage wasn't fixed properly ,when it got yeses from both the side I changed my office,but I couldn't tell this to my husband and also I lied about my virginity,he was also not virgin and after marriage I confessed all this ,now he is not forgiving me for my dishonesty and not letting me come home also he abuse me verbally ,slapped me..I also feel like cheated for not letting me know this side of him before marriage..How should I go ahead?
Ans: I'm truly sorry to hear about the difficulties you're facing in your new marriage. It's concerning to hear that you're experiencing verbal abuse and physical violence from your husband. No one deserves to be treated this way, and it's important to prioritize your safety and well-being.

First and foremost, if you are in immediate danger or feel unsafe, please reach out to local authorities or a trusted friend or family member for support. Your safety is paramount.

In terms of next steps, it's essential to seek support and assistance from professionals who can help you navigate this situation. Consider reaching out to a therapist or counselor who specializes in relationships and domestic violence. They can provide you with guidance, support, and resources to help you make informed decisions about your next steps.

Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to organizations or hotlines that specialize in supporting individuals experiencing domestic violence. They can offer confidential support, safety planning, and resources to help you leave the abusive situation and rebuild your life.

It's also crucial to recognize that you are not responsible for your husband's abusive behavior, and you deserve to be treated with dignity and respect in your marriage. If your husband is unwilling to seek help or change his behavior, it may be necessary to consider your options for leaving the relationship to ensure your safety and well-being.

Leaving an abusive relationship can be challenging, but you don't have to face it alone. There are people and resources available to support you every step of the way. Please prioritize your safety and take steps to protect yourself from further harm. You deserve to live a life free from abuse and violence.

Kanchan Rai  |168 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Apr 24, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Apr 13, 2024Hindi
I am single mother of 12 year old boy and got divorced last year after 7 years of living seperate from my ex husband, I got married in 2010 through matrimonial site and had very toxic and abusive relationship, so I came to my maternal home in 2016 completely. There were many occasions when he approached me and promised to behave properly but failed to do so . He only filed for divorce by making false accusations of being characterless. I gave him divorce and in return I got very less alimony or the amount which was given in cash to them in my marriage. Now I came to know that he remarried and living his life . He is still in contact with my son and sometimes he blame me and my parents for this divorce. My first question is that is he trying to manipulate my son ( he is not bearing any education expenses of my son) And when I ask my son if I can also move on in my life, he refuses and says I don't want to share you with anyone. So I am very confused.
Ans: I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've been facing. It sounds like you've been through a lot and are trying to navigate a difficult situation for both yourself and your son.

Regarding your ex-husband's behavior, it's possible that he may be trying to manipulate your son, especially if he is blaming you and your parents for the divorce. Children can be susceptible to manipulation, especially when they're caught in the middle of a divorce. It's important to maintain open communication with your son and reassure him that the divorce was not his fault and that both you and your ex-husband still love him.

As for your son's reluctance to see you move on, it's not uncommon for children of divorce to struggle with the idea of one or both parents moving on and forming new relationships. Your son may fear losing the close relationship he has with you or worry about how a new relationship might change his life. It's essential to validate his feelings and reassure him that your love for him will not change, regardless of any new relationships you may have.

It might also be helpful to involve a therapist or counselor who can work with both you and your son to navigate these emotions and provide support during this challenging time. Additionally, continuing to foster a strong, positive relationship with your son and maintaining open communication will be crucial as you both move forward.

Ultimately, while it's important to consider your son's feelings, it's also essential for you to take care of yourself and pursue your own happiness. Balancing your needs with those of your son can be challenging, but with time, patience, and support, you can find a way forward that works for both of you.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds