Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Jul 28, 2022

Harinarayanan Question by Harinarayanan on Jul 28, 2022Translate

I am a mild smoker aged 47 years. I am already having medical insurance for the past 10 years. When I tried to include the concept "smoker" in the renewal application, the agent does not accept and want us to lie with the insurance company. In view of the above the real truth is not disclosed. In this situation, whether any claim particularly related to heart or BP or hospitalization will be affected? Whether full claim will be affected? Please clarify sir.

If I particularly want to include the smoker in the application, whether the premium will be high?

Ans: Hi Harinarayanan, to answer your question if it will affect your claim settlement, yes it will and I suggest that you should declare and be transparent with the insurer.

If you have started smoking after the purchase of the policy, then at the time of renewal you should declare it to the insurer. In fact, any material change in activities between renewals should be declared to the insurer; it is then up to them to either adjust your premium accordingly or accept it without a change in the premium amount.

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Jul 29, 2022

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Sep 08, 2022

Financial Planner - Answered on Jan 04, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jan 03, 2024Translate
Recently, a top-notch insurer rejected my mediclaim for not informing the insurer that I was a non-habitual smoker. While getting the insurance policy I had stated that I was not a smoker but somehow they found out from my friends and family, or not sure from where, that I was a smoker. I was admitted to a hospital for a lung infection recently and they rejected the claim saying that I falsified my personal info. Under what other grounds can insurance companies reject claims?
Ans: Insurance companies can reject claims for various reasons beyond falsified information like undisclosed smoking habits.
Here are eight common grounds for claim rejection. Please do not ignore these if you want your claim settlement process to happen smoothly:

1. Pre-existing conditions: If the policyholder has a pre-existing medical condition that wasn’t disclosed or was misrepresented at the time of purchasing the policy, the insurer might reject claims related to that condition.

2. Policy exclusions: Certain treatments, procedures, or conditions may not be covered by your insurance policy. If your claim falls under these exclusions, it can be rejected.

3. Non-disclosure of information: Besides smoking habits, any undisclosed information relevant to your health or lifestyle (such as pre-existing illnesses, risky hobbies, etc.) that could impact the policy terms might lead to claim rejection.

4. Lapsed or non-payment of premiums: If you fail to pay premiums within the grace period or if your policy has lapsed due to non-payment, claims during that period might get rejected.

5. Policy limits or maximums: If the claimed amount exceeds the policy’s maximum coverage limit, the insurer might reject the excess amount.

6. Fraud or misrepresentation: Any fraudulent claims, providing false information intentionally, or submitting falsified documents can lead to claim rejection.

7. Waiting periods: Some policies have waiting periods for specific conditions or treatments. If a claim is made within this waiting period, it might be rejected.

8. Policy violations: If the claim is in violation of policy terms or conditions, it can be rejected. For instance, seeking treatment from a non-network provider in cases where network providers are mandated.

If your claim has been rejected, review your policy documents thoroughly to understand the grounds on which the rejection was based. It’s also worth considering appealing the decision if you believe the rejection was made in error or if you have additional information to provide. Consulting with a legal or insurance professional might also help navigate the appeals process or understand your rights in such situations.

Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations