Ulhas

Ulhas Joshi  |266 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Apr 05, 2024

With over 16 years of experience in the mutual fund industry, Ulhas Joshi has helped numerous clients choose the right funds and create wealth.
Prior to joining RankMF as CEO, he was vice president (sales) at IDBI Asset Management Ltd.
K Question by K on Mar 23, 2024Hindi

Hello Mr. Ullhas Joshi, I write to seek your expert advice, I am expecting an amount of Rs. 40 Lacs in the next 2 months from sale of property. I wish to invest 40 lac lumpsum in mutual fund for the next 40 to 45 years with an aim to start an SWP of Rs. 25k/pm after about 12-15 months with an annual incremental of 5% to offset the inflation. Request your advise whether it is feasible and as to how many funds should i invest, and which of the funds to invest in with how much amount each. Thanking you in advance, regards, K Basu, Kolkata

Ans: Hello Mr.Basu & thanks for writing to me. As you are expecting a corpus of Rs.40 lakh in the next few months, you can consider making an investment in a BAF/DAAF inMulti Asset Allocation Fund.

Assuming your corpus grows to 44 Lakh in 12 to 15 months, & you begin a SWP of 3 Lakh per annum which comes to around 7% annual withdrawal and assuming that the corpus continues to grow at around 11%, it will be feasible for you for a long duration.

I recommend you speak to a financial planner who can understand your own needs so that they can create a customized plan for you.

Hello sir , I want to invest 5 lacs lumpsum in mutual funds. Market is all time high so is it right time to invest lumpsum amount in mutual fund ? Please suggest some funds name as I don't have much idea. My SIP of 20K per month is also active on some funds. Please suggest in which funds should I invest lumpsum of INR 5 lacs. Time horizon - 5-10 Years Risk - Moderate to high. Thanks.
Ans: Investing a lump sum of Rs 5 lakhs in mutual funds, especially when the market is at an all-time high, requires careful consideration. Your current SIP of Rs 20,000 per month is a commendable start. Let’s assess the right approach to investing this lump sum with a focus on moderate to high risk tolerance and a 5-10 year time horizon.

Market Timing and Lump Sum Investments
Investing a large amount during a market peak can be concerning. Market fluctuations are normal, and predicting the right time to invest is challenging. However, strategies like staggered investments can help mitigate risk.

Systematic Transfer Plan (STP)
Instead of investing the entire amount at once, consider a Systematic Transfer Plan (STP). With STP, you can park your lump sum in a low-risk debt fund and transfer a fixed amount periodically to equity funds. This strategy helps in averaging the purchase cost and reduces the impact of market volatility.

Equity Mutual Funds for Growth
Equity mutual funds are essential for long-term wealth creation. Given your moderate to high risk tolerance, a significant portion of your investment should be in equity funds. Here’s a breakdown of suitable equity funds:

Large Cap Funds
Large cap funds invest in well-established, financially stable companies. They provide steady growth and are less volatile compared to mid and small cap funds. Allocating a portion to large cap funds can add stability to your portfolio.

Mid Cap Funds
Mid cap funds invest in companies with higher growth potential. They are riskier than large cap funds but offer higher returns. Investing in mid cap funds can enhance the growth potential of your portfolio.

Flexi Cap Funds
Flexi cap funds invest across different market capitalizations, providing flexibility and diversification. They can adapt to market conditions, making them a balanced choice for moderate to high risk investors.

Balanced Advantage Funds for Stability
Balanced advantage funds, also known as dynamic asset allocation funds, adjust the mix of equity and debt based on market conditions. They offer growth potential with reduced volatility, making them suitable for lump sum investments.

Debt Funds for Safety
Including debt funds in your portfolio ensures stability and liquidity. Debt funds invest in fixed income securities, providing predictable returns and reducing overall portfolio risk. A portion of your lump sum can be allocated to debt funds, especially if using an STP strategy.

Recommended Allocation Strategy
To achieve a balanced and diversified portfolio, consider the following allocation strategy for your lump sum investment:

1. Large Cap Funds
Allocate 30% of your lump sum to large cap funds. This provides a foundation of stability and steady growth.

2. Mid Cap Funds
Allocate 25% to mid cap funds. This enhances growth potential by leveraging the higher returns of mid-sized companies.

3. Flexi Cap Funds
Allocate 25% to flexi cap funds. This provides flexibility and adaptability to changing market conditions.

4. Balanced Advantage Funds
Allocate 10% to balanced advantage funds. This combination of equity and debt offers growth with reduced volatility.

5. Debt Funds
Allocate 10% to debt funds. This ensures stability and liquidity, balancing the high-risk equity investments.

Importance of Regular Monitoring and Rebalancing
Investing in mutual funds requires regular monitoring and rebalancing. Market conditions change, and your investment strategy should adapt accordingly. Review your portfolio at least once a year and make necessary adjustments.

Benefits of Consulting a Certified Financial Planner
Working with a Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized advice tailored to your financial goals and risk tolerance. They can help you choose the right funds, monitor your portfolio, and make informed decisions.

Investing a lump sum of Rs 5 lakhs in mutual funds during a market high requires a strategic approach. Utilizing an STP can mitigate market timing risks. Diversifying across large cap, mid cap, flexi cap, balanced advantage, and debt funds ensures growth potential and stability. Regular monitoring and consulting with a Certified Financial Planner will enhance your investment journey.

Hello Myself Sunil Mishara age 60 yeras.I want to invest 40 lakh in mutual fund for long term 5 to 10 years under SWP.As I have retired person investment Plan should be moderate to low risk.I have already invested amount Rs 30 lakh in FD in senior citizen schems.
Ans: Hello Sunil, it's wonderful to hear about your investment plans as you transition into retirement. Your cautious approach to seeking moderate to low-risk options is prudent, especially considering your stage of life.

Investing 40 lakh in mutual funds for long-term growth through Systematic Withdrawal Plans (SWP) is a wise strategy. SWP allows you to receive regular payouts while keeping your principal invested, potentially earning returns over time.

Given your risk tolerance, consider allocating your investment across a mix of balanced funds and debt funds. Balanced funds offer a blend of equity and debt, providing stability with potential for growth. Debt funds, on the other hand, focus primarily on fixed-income securities, offering lower risk but steady returns.

As you've already invested a portion in senior citizen schemes, your mutual fund investment can complement this by providing additional growth potential. Regularly review your portfolio's performance and adjust allocations if needed to ensure it continues to align with your risk tolerance and financial goals.

Remember, while seeking growth, it's crucial to prioritize capital preservation at this stage of life. By diversifying your investments and opting for moderate to low-risk options, you can aim for steady income while safeguarding your financial well-being in retirement.

Dear Sir, I am 40 years old, happily married, have 2 daughters 7 years and 3 years old. My financials are 1. Real Estate 1.50 cr. Land and 2 houses (house value: 85 lakhs: Monthly rental yield 30,000) 2. ULIP 18,000 monthly for 5 years. (19 months completed. Corpus: 4 lakhs) C. Mutual funds 50,000 (just started). I can invest monthly 1.50 lakhs now. Please advice the best categories of Mutual Funds to invest as SIP. Also, thinking to sell the house of 85 lakhs value and put in SWP. Please advice.
Ans: You are 40 years old, happily married with two daughters aged 7 and 3. You have real estate worth Rs. 1.50 crores, including two houses (one valued at Rs. 85 lakhs with a monthly rental yield of Rs. 30,000). You have a ULIP with a monthly contribution of Rs. 18,000 for 5 years, with 19 months completed and a corpus of Rs. 4 lakhs. You have just started investing Rs. 50,000 in mutual funds. You can invest Rs. 1.50 lakhs monthly now.

Investment in Mutual Funds
Equity mutual funds are essential for long-term growth. They provide high returns over time. You can invest in large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. Large-cap funds are less risky. Mid-cap and small-cap funds offer higher returns but come with higher risks.

Debt mutual funds provide stability to your portfolio. They invest in bonds and government securities. They are less volatile and offer regular returns. You can consider short-term and long-term debt funds based on your investment horizon.

Hybrid Mutual Funds
Hybrid funds invest in both equity and debt. They balance risk and return. They are suitable for moderate risk takers. They provide stability with some growth potential.

Tax-saving Mutual Funds
ELSS funds provide tax benefits under Section 80C. They have a lock-in period of 3 years. They offer good returns and help in tax planning. You can allocate a portion of your investments to these funds.

Selling the House and SWP
Selling the house worth Rs. 85 lakhs can provide a lump sum. You can invest this in a Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP). SWP offers regular income from mutual funds. It provides flexibility and better returns compared to rental income. Ensure to consult with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) to align this with your financial goals.

Increase your SIP contributions to Rs. 1.50 lakhs monthly. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. Review your portfolio regularly to ensure it aligns with your goals.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance helps achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Focus on long-term growth with equity funds. Maintain stability with debt funds. Balance risk and return with hybrid funds. Consider tax-saving ELSS funds. Review your portfolio regularly.

Vivek

Vivek Lala  |257 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, MF Expert - Answered on Jul 09, 2024

Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1891 Answers  |Ask -

Stock Market Expert - Answered on Jul 24, 2024

Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1891 Answers  |Ask -

Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1891 Answers  |Ask -