Vivek

Vivek Lala  |246 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, MF Expert - Answered on Mar 11, 2023

Vivek Lala has been working as a tax planner since 2018. His expertise lies in making personalised tax budgets and tax forecasts for individuals. As a tax advisor, he takes pride in simplifying tax complications for his clients using simple, easy-to-understand language.

Hello sir, my mother died last month as i am only nominee i got @ 11 lacs in my account. I am salaried person of 2.5lacs pa , thus it will tax me please guide and suggest a investment plan.

Ans: The taxation depends on the source of the 11 lakhs. If you are planning to invest this money for long term , you can go for a balanced portfolio of mutual funds.

I am Sankar Roy 45 year old a Junior commission officer of India Army. Plaing to pension out with LMC ground by Apr 25. I will having total amount of Rs 48 Lacs retirement amount by Apr 25. Pension pm Rs 33000/ pm. Monthly expiditute Rs 50000 pm . Want 1 CR after 10 years . LIC will mature by 2032/ 20 Lacs . Health Insurance not required as ECHS facility are given by Govt./Army . Pl advice me how to invest. DA will increase 8% yerly. Will ing to invest Mutual fund with moderate risk. Preference to invest 50 % Govt Bank as no other side income are there. Personal house at Kolkata. Joka . No other liability and loan are their. Two son are studying one in 11th and one in class 1st at KV . Pl sir make my investment profile for my desired 1 CR. With regards Harekrishna. I will be grateful.
Ans: Dear Harekrishna,

First and foremost, I want to commend your dedicated service to our nation. Your efforts and sacrifices are truly appreciated. Let's work towards crafting a financial plan that meets your needs and goals.

You aim to accumulate Rs 1 crore in 10 years and manage your monthly expenses post-retirement. With a retirement corpus of Rs 48 lakhs, monthly pension of Rs 33,000, and expected LIC maturity of Rs 20 lakhs by 2032, we need a balanced approach to investment.

Monthly Expense Management
Your current monthly expenditure is Rs 50,000. After retirement, you will receive Rs 33,000 as a pension, leaving a shortfall of Rs 17,000. This gap can be managed through a systematic withdrawal plan (SWP) from your investments.

You will need to invest in a way that ensures a steady income while allowing your corpus to grow.

Investment in Government Bank FDs
Given your preference for safety and 50% allocation to government bank deposits, we can allocate Rs 24 lakhs to Fixed Deposits (FDs). This will provide stable, albeit modest, returns. FDs in government banks are secure and offer interest rates ranging from 5% to 7%.

This conservative portion ensures you have a safety net and liquidity.

Investment in Mutual Funds
With the remaining Rs 24 lakhs, a diversified portfolio in mutual funds can be created. Given your moderate risk appetite, a balanced approach with a mix of equity and debt funds is advisable.

Actively managed funds involve professional management and aim to outperform the market. The fund manager’s expertise can potentially yield higher returns compared to index funds, which simply track the market.

Actively managed funds can adapt to market conditions, manage risk better, and aim for superior performance. This can be particularly beneficial in achieving your long-term goal of Rs 1 crore.

To accumulate Rs 1 crore in 10 years, a disciplined investment approach is essential. Investing through SIPs in equity-oriented mutual funds can leverage the power of compounding. Starting a SIP with a portion of your savings will gradually build your wealth.

To cover the Rs 17,000 monthly shortfall, an SWP from your mutual fund investments can be arranged. This will provide a regular income while allowing the remaining corpus to continue growing.

Balancing Risk and Returns
Your portfolio will consist of:

50% in Government Bank FDs for stability.
50% in diversified mutual funds for growth.
This balance ensures you have a mix of safety and growth.

Evaluating Direct vs Regular Mutual Funds
Direct mutual funds have lower expense ratios but require active management by the investor. This can be time-consuming and challenging without expertise. Regular funds, managed through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), provide professional guidance, potentially enhancing returns and ensuring your investments align with your goals.

The additional cost of regular funds is justified by the professional management and peace of mind they offer.

Reviewing and Rebalancing
Regular reviews of your investment portfolio are essential. Market conditions and personal circumstances change, and your investment strategy should adapt accordingly. A CFP can help with periodic rebalancing to maintain the desired asset allocation and risk level.

Additional Considerations
Your LIC maturity of Rs 20 lakhs in 2032 can be reinvested to further boost your corpus. The government’s Dearness Allowance (DA) increase by 8% yearly will help in offsetting inflation and managing expenses.

Your sons' education expenses will gradually increase. Planning for these costs now will ensure their educational needs are met without financial strain.

Summary of Action Plan
Allocate Rs 24 lakhs in Government Bank FDs for stability.
Invest Rs 24 lakhs in diversified mutual funds via SIPs for growth.
Use SWP from mutual funds to cover the monthly shortfall of Rs 17,000.
Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio with a CFP’s assistance.
Reinvest LIC maturity amount for continued growth.
By following this plan, you can manage your expenses, grow your corpus, and achieve your goal of Rs 1 crore in 10 years.

Final Thoughts
Your disciplined approach to financial planning is commendable. With careful investment and regular reviews, you can secure your financial future and support your family’s needs.