Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 03, 2023

Mahesh Padmanabhan has specialised in payroll, personal and corporate taxation for more than two and a half decades, enabling him to provide practical, realistic and correct advice to his clients.
He is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has a degree in cost accounting from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
lokesh Question by lokesh on Apr 09, 2023Translate

Hi, I have filed my ITR OF FY 2021-22 in the month of August 22. But while filling the same I forget to fill 10E for arrears received of previous financial years. Now as the date of filing revised ITR is already over is there is any way through which I can claim my relief.

Ans: Hi Lokesh
Please try filing a rectification to the ITR filed for AY 2022-23 and file the Form 10E before you file the rectification.

Tax Expert - Answered on Sep 29, 2022

Dear Mr Tanna, Before soliciting your sincere opinion I must first congratulate and compliment you for the benevolent job being done to alleviate the problems being faced by the solo taxpayers from the pounce of the IT Office. I would request you to go through my problem which is very much exhaustive and moreover disheartening for the busy people like you. I am a retd employee from LIC in the FY 2020/21. In FY 2021/22 I had received arrears of salary along with commutation of pension and leave encashment. The employer while finalizing the IT for 2021/22 had deducted IT giving the exemption for comm pension, 80CC and 80D without the benefit under sec 89. While filing IT I could see the effect of AIS. Without any further deduction except under 80 TTB, I tried to confirm the Total Taxable Income as per 26AS/AIS. The self-assessed tax was to be paid on three dates because of the ATM limit etc. The last payment which was on 28th July, could not be successful and was debited on 29th as a result I could not add the CIN No etc., on the Add box of tax payment. Since the total amount of tax was paid before the last date i.e 31st I did submit a short paid ITR presuming it would be taken care of. On 1st Aug I received a message under sec 143 with a demand due for 4660/. The e-file status was showing the ITR is under process with O/S demand Nil (four Green tick was displayed). Till Aug 30th when I found the ITR is not accepted despite the grievances as cited above, again I paid the balance amount going thru the demand due option, there also I faced the same problem from bank. The amount could be debited on 31St Aug. I did pay the amount thinking the ITR and tax deposit are different Module. Moreover after filing ITR I made a query with the ITO regarding exemption of Transfer grant which should have been allowed at source. They denied it under pretext that no further exemption after filling. In order to see the last payment due appear under SAT head I had submitted a grievance which was not seen till I spoke to the help desk. One reply came with so many tags to file revised IT under section 131 (5). While I visited for re-file, I could see the interest amount along with an increased taxable income thus returned back. Now my questions are: 1. How the taxable income would vary when a letter under 143 is issued with a demand? 2. If I am to re-submit the ITR under Sec 131 (5) can I restrict the taxable income to the earlier one? 3. Can they alter the taxable income when Sec 143 is invoked? 4. Finally, should I conform to the query or wait till they make their earlier demand set right. Sir I had filled it by myself without the help of a professional. Your opinion would be mostly an antidote against the IT virus that has made me upset. Eagerly awaiting your reply.
Ans: Thank you so much for your compliment. Looking at your facts, I wish you could have got professional advice on 1st August itself. My views on your queries are as follows:

1. I understand you are using online feature of filing Income Tax Return at www.incometax.gov.in wherein data is prefilled based on information reported by different persons (like employer for salary, bank for interest income, company for dividend income, TDS deductor for TDS deducted and amount of income credited, etc.). In your case, it might be possible that reportable entity has revised its data for reporting to income tax department and accordingly amount appearing in intimation issued u/s 143(1) differs from amount auto populated while filing income tax return u/s 139(5) of Income Tax Act using online feature.
  1. It is not advisable to restrict auto populated income unless income auto populated at e-filing portal is incorrect. Check AIS for income auto populated at e-filing portal. If income appearing in AIS is incorrect, you can file feedback for AIS and offer actual income to tax while filing return u/s 139(5) of the act which allow tax payer to revise return by rectifying mistakes.
  1. Yes, income tax provides updated figure at portal even if intimation is issued u/s 143(1) of the Act, as revised figures is provided by the payer of income or person authorised as reportable entity.  
  1. I understand you are talking about self-assessment tax paid by you and not auto populated in relevant schedule of ITR. Reason for the same can be wrong selection of year or code while making payment or while uploading challan details by the bank. Please check 26AS for self-assessment tax paid, if the same is not appearing in 26AS of AY 2022-23, you have to discuss said issue with Jurisdictional officer.

Financial Planner - Answered on Mar 03, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Mar 03, 2024Translate
I'm contemplating a career change in my late 30s, earning Rs 14 lakhs annually. How can I navigate this transition while ensuring financial stability and working towards long-term goals such as retirement?
Ans: Transitioning to a new career in your late 30s while maintaining financial stability and planning for long-term goals like retirement requires careful consideration and planning. Here are some steps you can take to navigate this transition effectively:

1. Assess Your Skills and Interests: Reflect on your skills, interests, and values to identify potential new career paths that align with your strengths and passions. Consider seeking career counseling or taking career assessment tests to explore different options.

2. Research Potential Careers: Conduct thorough research on the industries and roles you're interested in pursuing. Look into job market demand, salary potential, and growth opportunities to ensure your chosen career path is financially viable.

3. Skill Development and Education: Determine if you need to acquire new skills or education to transition into your desired field. This could involve enrolling in courses, obtaining certifications, or pursuing higher education such as a degree or specialised training programme.

4. Financial Planning: Evaluate your current financial situation and create a budget to understand your income, expenses, and savings. Factor in any potential changes in income or expenses associated with your career transition. Consider setting aside an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses.

5. Debt Management: If you have any outstanding debts, develop a plan to manage and pay them off efficiently. Prioritise high-interest debts like credit card debt while maintaining minimum payments on other loans.

6. Retirement Planning: Review your retirement savings accounts like the EPF, and assess whether you're on track to meet your long-term retirement goals. Consider consulting a financial advisor to develop a personalised retirement plan based on your age, income, risk tolerance, and retirement objectives.

7. Health Insurance and Benefits: Evaluate the health insurance and other benefits offered by your new employer, if applicable. Ensure you understand the coverage provided and any associated costs. If transitioning to self-employment or freelancing, research options for obtaining health insurance coverage independently.

8. Networking and Building Connections: Network with professionals in your desired industry to gain insights, advice, and potential job opportunities. Attend industry events, join professional associations, and leverage online networking platforms like LinkedIn to expand your network.

9. Side Hustle or Freelancing: Consider starting a side hustle or freelancing in your desired field while maintaining your current job. This can provide additional income, valuable experience, and a smoother transition into your new career.

10. Evaluate Risks and Rewards: Assess the risks and rewards associated with your career change, including potential income fluctuations, job stability, and work-life balance. Be prepared to adapt and make adjustments as needed throughout the transition process.

By following these steps and carefully planning your career transition, you can navigate the change while maintaining financial stability and working towards your long-term goals, including retirement.
Dr Karthiyayini

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan  |599 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Mar 03, 2024