Financial Planner - Answered on Jul 23, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
Amal Question by Amal on Jul 20, 2023Hindi

My entire TDS recovered and Advance tax paid is not being populated in Schedule TTI PART B. This resulted substantial Tax Payable and also interest demand for non payent of advance tax. How to file thd rdgurn now

Ans: 1.Check the pre-fill screen: If you have filed your return with the same platform and your PAN is already linked, you should see a pre-fill screen where some details are auto-fetched

2.Verify the tax-paid section: Scroll down to the 'tax-paid' section in the filing form. Here, you should find the details of TDS and advance tax that you have paid. If these details are not appearing, you can manually enter them or upload Form 26AS to add the information

3.Review the computation of total income: Ensure that you have filled in all the relevant schedules and sections accurately. In the Part B - Total Income (TI) section, you should be able to view the computation of total income auto-populated from the schedules you have filled

4.Seek professional assistance: If you are still facing difficulties in filing your return or resolving the issue with the tax payable and interest demand, it may be beneficial to consult a tax professional or seek assistance from the income tax department

Tax Expert - Answered on Oct 20, 2022

Please provide correct advice in the following situation. We filed ROI for AY 2019-20 on 30-10-2019 and paid a tax amount of Rs 1,20,03,465/- under section 115JB. Above return was processed u/s 143 (1) by intimation dated 19-05-2020. The Company has deposited Advance tax of Rs. 40, 00,000/- and ITR -6 for AY 2019-20 was filed under Section 139 on 30-10-2019 to obviate any violation in Tax compliance including the TDS claim of Rs. 87,29,484/-. In the Intimation order the assessing officer had accepted the income and other claims of the Appellant but had demanded Rs 97,85,148/- as balance tax and interest. During the Assessment Year relevant to Previous Year 2018-19, the land under the ownership of the Assessee has been taken over by the Government for Guruvayur Dewaswam (GD). LA compensation of Rs.38565360/- (on 5- 2-2018), Rs.4,00,00,000/- (on 4-2-2019), and Rs.48,28,009/- on19-11-2020 were paid to the Petitioner Company. Deductor, GD did not deposit the TDS to government in relevant years, this resulted in the demand of Rs. 97,85,148/- on Company towards balance tax and interest in the intimation u/s 143 (1) dated 19-05-2020. GD deposited Rs.95,02,088 /- towards TDS and Rs.21, 25,421 /-towards TDS and interest on 30-1-2021 and filed TDS return for the Assessment Year 2021-22. (not AY 2019-20). Deductor is delaying filing revised TDS return in spite of many requests even by Income tax authorities. Can the Income tax department seek to recover Income tax with fine from Company for AY 2019-20, on mere fact that Petitioner could not account for deposit of such tax (TDS) (Rs.87,29,484/-, only because the deductor, after paying the compensation to Petitioner in relevant year, did not deposit TDS to government revenue? Should the assessee suffer for the fault of the deductor? We understand There is a bar under Section 205 and circular of CBDT in this matter.
Ans: If TDS is deducted and there was delay in depositing TDS, said TDS amount cannot be recovered from deductee. There are some judicial pronouncements for the same which provides relief to taxpayer (deductee). But in given case, I understand that it is not case of delay but amount credited in different year.

In such a case, you can request to jurisdictional officer to provide credit of TDS in the year in which income is offered to tax though TDS is appearing in 26AS of subsequent year and it can be subject to litigation.

I am about 68 year's I have two sons who are married via arranged process. My younger son's wife is educated teacher. But she had a torturous up bring during high school days. Leading to least interest in married life after marriage. She deserted my son soon after marriage. This led to break down in marriage now heading for a divorce. Please advise.
Ans: It sounds like a deeply painful situation for everyone involved, especially considering the emotional trauma your daughter-in-law experienced during her formative years.

It's important to recognize that individuals who have gone through traumatic experiences in their youth can carry emotional wounds that affect their relationships later in life. These scars may manifest in ways that make it difficult for them to fully engage in marital life or maintain a healthy relationship.

In situations like these, it’s crucial to approach with empathy and understanding. Your daughter-in-law’s decision to desert your son and pursue divorce likely stems from her own internal struggles and emotional turmoil. It’s not a reflection of your son’s worth or efforts within the marriage.

Moving forward, it might be helpful for your son to focus on his own healing and well-being. Encouraging him to seek support from friends, family, or a professional counselor can provide him with a safe space to process his emotions and navigate this challenging transition.

As a family, offering unconditional support and empathy to both your son and daughter-in-law can create an environment where healing and understanding can begin. It’s important to respect each individual’s journey and decisions while also recognizing the need for compassion during this difficult time.

Hi, I am 40 yr old woman. I am staying with my husband who always doubt me without any reason. As he is dependent on me. He is jobless from last 5 yr. I am the only earning person I don't have any type of attitude. While balancing professional as well as personal life I use to listen his bitter words every day. Not only that he started beating me like anything Just coz of so-called reputation I tolerate him. But 7 months back I came across with a man in my life we both started liking each other, I shared everything with him. But he left his job due to some issues with manager and started working somewhere else. He started ignoring me. Please help me out to understand what is right and wrong in this?
Ans: Balancing the pressures of professional life with the strain of an abusive marriage is a heavy burden, and you deserve to feel safe, respected, and valued.

Your husband's behavior—doubting you without cause, subjecting you to daily verbal abuse, and physically harming you—is deeply troubling and completely unacceptable. It's important to acknowledge that no matter the circumstances, you do not deserve to be treated this way. The fear of societal judgment and concerns about reputation are common reasons people stay in harmful relationships, but your well-being and safety are far more important than maintaining appearances.

Meeting someone who offers emotional support when you’re in such a painful situation is understandable. It’s natural to seek comfort and a connection when you're feeling isolated and mistreated. However, the new man's recent behavior, where he started ignoring you after changing jobs, might feel like another layer of abandonment. This is especially tough because you opened up and shared your struggles with him, hoping for understanding and companionship.

In terms of what’s right and wrong, it's essential to focus on your needs and well-being. Staying in an abusive relationship is harmful to your physical and emotional health. You have the right to seek safety and happiness. The relationship with the new man might have provided temporary emotional relief, but it seems he's not able to be the supportive presence you hoped for, especially now when he’s pulling away.
Right now, focus on what you need to feel safe and supported. Consider reaching out to trusted friends, family, or professional services who can help you navigate this challenging time. You deserve a life free from fear and filled with respect and care. Prioritizing your own happiness and safety is the most important step forward.