Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 05, 2023

Mahesh Padmanabhan has specialised in payroll, personal and corporate taxation for more than two and a half decades, enabling him to provide practical, realistic and correct advice to his clients.
He is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has a degree in cost accounting from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
He is also a qualified information systems auditor. ... more
Asked by Anonymous - May 05, 2023Translate

I have booked a under construction flat in May 2022 for 2.80 crs inclusive of GST and stamp duty likely possession in December 2023, Flat is in joint name with my wife on 50:50 basis. I have availed joint Bank loan of 2.10 crores which is partially disbursed approx 1.76 crores up to now. balance will be disbursed before possession. I will be selling by old flat in January 2024 which is in my individual name, which I purchased in July 2017 for 92.50 lacs inclusive of stamp duty, approx selling price will be 1.25 crores. This flat is also on loan of 54 lakhs outstanding .What will be the capital gain against this and can this be setoff against the new flat? Difference amount 1.25 crores(sale price) less 54 lakhs (Bank Loan) balance amount of 71 lakhs I might pay against the new bank loan of 2.10 crores which will reduce the loan to 1.39 crores. Please guide how to go to save the Capital gain tax.

Ans: Hi
You may have a long term capital gain of about Rs. 6.70 Lakhs. Suggestions to avoid paying any tax on this gain would be to pay towards the construction of the new house. This would mean that you may need to sell your house before you take possession of the new house in December 2023 and use the sale consideration to pay to the builder to the extent of approx Rs. 6.70 Lakhs to make it eligible as reinvestment in a new under construction property. This cannot be the other way round i.e. you cannot pay full amount to the builder and take possession and thereafter sell the old house.

If you need the house to stay till the possession of the new property then you could try for a rental arrangement with the buyer of your old house.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Apr 05, 2023

sir,I booked a flat on 14.6.2010 ( tentative cost Rs48.45 lakh)on self funding basis,based on stages of construction. Allottmeng letter issue by builder on 21.7.2010. possesson given 25.06.2013 against December 2013 with final cost of Rs.55 lakh app. excl.shifting chges. Flat was sold in March 2023 for Rs 122 lakh,excl brokerage,society dues,misc dues,TDS etc etc. I & my spouse both are now senior citizens. please advise the capital gain tax payable and how to reduce the same.this property is joint one with my spouse.shall appreciate ur early response...rgds....pramod KS.
Ans: Dear Pramod KS,

Thank you for asking about the capital gains tax for your flat's sale. I'll try to simplify the explanation and give you an idea of the tax and how to reduce it. Keep in mind that the accuracy of the answer depends on the details you've provided.

You sold the flat for Rs 122 lakh in March 2023. You made staggered payments for it, totaling Rs 55 lakh, from 14/06/2010 to 25/06/2013. To find the capital gains, we need to adjust the purchase cost for inflation using the Cost Inflation Index (CII) for each payment year.

Since the payments were made over multiple years, we must adjust the purchase cost for each payment separately. For simplicity, let's assume you made equal payments of Rs 18,33,333 each in 2010, 2011, and 2013. The CII for 2010-11 is 167, for 2011-12 is 184, and for 2012-13 is 200. The CII for the year you sold the flat (2022-23) is 331.

We'll adjust each payment's purchase cost like this:
Adjusted Purchase Cost = (Payment * CII for the year of sale) / CII for the year of payment

For the 2010 payment:
Adjusted Purchase Cost = (18,33,333 * 331) / 167 = 36,19,278 (approximately)

For the 2011 payment:
Adjusted Purchase Cost = (18,33,333 * 331) / 184 = 32,94,804 (approximately)

For the 2013 payment:
Adjusted Purchase Cost = (18,33,333 * 331) / 200 = 30,18,000 (approximately)

Now, add up the adjusted purchase costs:
Total Adjusted Purchase Cost = 36,19,278 + 32,94,804 + 30,18,000 = 99,32,082 (approximately)

Now we can find the capital gain:
Capital Gain = Sale Price - Total Adjusted Purchase Cost
Capital Gain = 1,22,00,000 - 99,32,082 = 22,67,918 (approximately)

Since you owned the property for more than 36 months, this is a Long-Term Capital Gain (LTCG). The tax rate is 20% after considering inflation.

Capital Gain Tax Payable = 20% of Capital Gain
Capital Gain Tax Payable = 0.20 * 22,67,918 = 4,53,584 (approximately)

You and your spouse jointly own the property, so each of you will pay tax on your share of the capital gain, approximately Rs 2,26,792 each.

To reduce the capital gains tax, consider these options:

Invest the capital gain in special bonds under Section 54EC of the Income Tax Act. These have a 5-year lock-in period and must be invested within 6 months after selling the property.
If neither you nor your spouse owns more than one residential property at the time of the sale, you can use the capital gains to buy or build a new house within specific time limits under Section 54 of the Income Tax Act. You must buy the new property within 2 years or build it within 3 years from the sale date.
Remember that these options have certain rules and limits. It's a good idea to talk to a tax professional to discuss your specific situation, calculate the exact adjusted purchase costs and capital gains, and follow the correct rules. I hope this information helps.

If you need assistance with the exact calculations based on the specific payment amounts and dates, a tax professional can guide you through that process. They can also help you understand the various exemptions and investment options available to minimize your tax liability further.

I hope this information has been helpful in clarifying the capital gains tax and potential ways to reduce it.

Best regards,
Hardik Parikh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 03, 2023

Latest Questions

Sunil Lala  |150 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Feb 26, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Feb 26, 2024Translate
Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations

Sunil Lala  |150 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Feb 26, 2024

DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds