Hi, I am 47 years old. I have a corpus of about 3.4Cr of which about 1.5Cr is in equities(Mostly large cap) & ETFs and rest is FD and PF. Apart from this, I have about Rs 72000 rental income. I have a term insurance and family medical insurance. I need to work for atleast another 3 years to cover my elder son's education and need a corpus for my 14 yrs old daughter's education of say about 50L. I can invest around 2L per month in SIPs. Given all this, how much more retirement corpus I need to have a regular monthly income of 2L? Thanks for replying.

Ans: It's great to see you've built a substantial corpus and are planning for your future financial needs. Let's analyze your situation and determine the steps needed to achieve your goals.

Current Financial Status
Corpus Allocation
Your corpus of ?3.4 crore, with a significant portion in equities, FDs, and PF, reflects a diversified investment approach.

Additional Income
The rental income of ?72,000 per annum provides an additional source of cash flow, contributing to your overall financial stability.

Future Financial Goals
Education Expenses
You have identified the need for ?50 lakh for your daughter's education in 14 years and have committed to investing ?2 lakh per month in SIPs to achieve this goal.

To secure a regular monthly income of ?2 lakh post-retirement, we need to calculate the additional retirement corpus required.

Desired Monthly Income
A monthly income of ?2 lakh translates to an annual income of ?24 lakh post-retirement.

Withdrawal Rate
Assuming a conservative withdrawal rate of 5-6% from the retirement corpus, we can estimate the required corpus as follows:

?24,00,000 / 0.05 = ?4.8 crore
?24,00,000 / 0.06 = ?4 crore

Gap Analysis
Current Retirement Corpus
Your current corpus of ?3.4 crore is significant but falls short of the required retirement corpus.

Additional Savings
To bridge the gap, you may consider increasing your monthly SIP contributions or exploring other investment avenues that offer potential for higher returns.

Asset Allocation
Review your asset allocation to ensure it aligns with your risk tolerance and investment goals, especially considering the need for regular income post-retirement.

While you have made commendable progress towards your financial goals, there is a need to augment your retirement corpus to secure a regular monthly income of ?2 lakh post-retirement. By reassessing your investment strategy, increasing your savings rate, and exploring suitable investment options, you can work towards achieving financial independence and ensuring a comfortable retirement.

If you require further assistance or personalized advice, feel free to reach out. I'm here to support you in navigating your financial journey and achieving your objectives.

Hi guruji, I am 58 yr. I have 30 lakh in MF ,and 85 K monthly SIP also have 6 l in F.D. I get 24 l per annum in a private sector. I don't get any retirement benefits from the company. I want to work for 3 more years . I have HDFC optima secure medical policy for 20 lakhs. My children are settled and I own a flat and no loans. My monthly expenses now are 50k. How much do I need as retirement corpus. Please sugges me how much more is to be saved and ways of doing
Ans: To determine how much more you need for retirement and how to achieve it, let's go through a few steps:

Estimate Retirement Expenses: Calculate your estimated monthly expenses after retirement. Since your current expenses are 50k per month, consider any changes in expenses after retirement, such as healthcare costs and leisure activities.

Calculate Retirement Corpus: Multiply your estimated annual expenses by the number of years you expect to live post-retirement. Assuming a lifespan of 85 years and a retirement age of 61, you would need a retirement corpus to cover expenses for around 24 years.

Consider Inflation: Adjust your retirement corpus for inflation to ensure that your savings retain their purchasing power over time.

Assess Current Savings: Evaluate your current savings and investments, including MFs, FDs, and SIPs. Determine how much these assets are expected to grow by the time you retire.

Identify Shortfall: Compare your estimated retirement corpus with your current savings to identify any shortfall.

Increase Savings: If there's a shortfall, consider increasing your monthly SIP contributions or exploring other investment options to bridge the gap. You may also consider delaying retirement by a few years to allow your investments more time to grow.

Review Insurance: Ensure that your medical insurance coverage is adequate for your needs post-retirement. Consider any additional insurance policies or riders that may be necessary.

Consult a Financial Advisor: It's advisable to consult a financial advisor who can provide personalized guidance based on your specific financial situation and goals. They can help you develop a comprehensive retirement plan and suggest suitable investment strategies to achieve your objectives.

Hi I am 34 years old and earning 3 lacs per month. Currently I have a corpus of about 75 lacs in MF. And I have been doing SIP from last 7 years. Now my month SIP is about 1.8 lacs per month. I want to retire by 45. How much corpus would I have if I continue to save the same amount for next 10 - 11 yrs. Also, please help me to understand that how much corpus do I need to make. For monthly income of 2 lacs from my corpus or saving
Ans: Assessing Retirement Corpus Growth
Current Investment Scenario
Your disciplined approach to SIP investments has contributed to building a substantial corpus over the past seven years.

Projecting Future Corpus Growth
Continuing your monthly SIP of 1.8 lakhs for the next 10-11 years can potentially result in significant wealth accumulation due to the power of compounding.

Estimating Future Corpus
By projecting the expected returns based on historical performance and assuming a conservative growth rate, we can estimate the potential corpus you may accumulate by the time you retire at 45.

Understanding Retirement Income Needs
To determine the corpus needed for generating a monthly income of 2 lakhs post-retirement, we must consider factors such as inflation, lifestyle preferences, and other financial obligations.

Calculating Required Corpus
Using conservative estimates for inflation and investment returns, we can calculate the corpus required to generate a monthly income of 2 lakhs, ensuring financial security and maintaining your desired lifestyle.

Conducting Retirement Gap Analysis
Comparing the projected corpus from your SIP investments with the required corpus for generating the desired monthly income will help identify any potential shortfall and enable strategic planning to bridge the gap.

Recommendations for Retirement Planning
Optimize Investment Strategy: Consider diversifying your investment portfolio to mitigate risk and maximize returns, ensuring sustainable wealth accumulation over the long term.

Increase SIP Contributions: Evaluate the possibility of gradually increasing your SIP contributions to accelerate corpus growth and achieve your retirement goals more efficiently.

Review Retirement Goals: Regularly review your retirement goals and adjust your investment strategy as needed to align with evolving financial objectives and life circumstances.

Explore Supplementary Income Sources: Explore additional avenues for passive income generation, such as rental properties, dividend-paying stocks, or alternative investment options, to supplement your retirement corpus and enhance financial security.

By maintaining a disciplined approach to savings and investments and periodically reassessing your retirement goals and investment strategy, you can maximize the potential of achieving financial independence and securing a comfortable retirement lifestyle. It's essential to seek professional guidance and stay committed to your long-term financial objectives to ensure a smooth transition into retirement.

I am 53 years old working woman having SIP of 50000 per month. My retirement age is 60 years. My total corpus is 1 crore 30 lacs. How much I should save to have a corpus of around 2.25 crores at my retirement?
Ans: Assessing Your Current Financial Situation
You have done an admirable job, accumulating a corpus of ?1.30 crores and saving ?50,000 per month through SIPs. At 53 years old, you are well on your way to securing a comfortable retirement by 60.

Setting a Retirement Goal
Your goal is to have a corpus of ?2.25 crores by the time you retire at 60. To achieve this, you need to evaluate your current savings strategy and make necessary adjustments.

Calculating the Required Savings
Your existing corpus and ongoing SIPs are already substantial. However, to bridge the gap and reach ?2.25 crores, you may need to increase your monthly savings or invest in higher-yielding instruments.

Consider investing in actively managed funds. These funds have professional managers who actively make investment decisions to outperform the market. This approach can potentially yield higher returns compared to index funds, which merely track the market.

Evaluating Your SIP Strategy
Your current SIPs of ?50,000 per month are a great way to build wealth systematically. Review the performance of these SIPs periodically. Ensure they are aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance. Adjusting your SIP amount upward, if feasible, can help you reach your target faster.

Diversifying Your Investments
Diversification reduces risk and enhances potential returns. Ensure your portfolio includes a balanced mix of equity and debt funds. Equity funds offer growth, while debt funds provide stability.

Importance of Regular Reviews
Regularly reviewing your investment portfolio is essential. Financial markets and personal circumstances change over time. Annual reviews with a Certified Financial Planner can help you stay on track towards your retirement goal.

Assess your risk tolerance. As you approach retirement, consider gradually shifting from high-risk investments to more stable ones. This strategy protects your corpus from market volatility as you near your retirement age.

A Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized advice tailored to your situation. They can help optimize your investment strategy, ensuring it aligns with your retirement goals. Their expertise ensures your financial plan is robust and adaptable to changes.

Inflation Considerations
Inflation erodes purchasing power over time. Ensure your retirement corpus grows at a rate that outpaces inflation. Investing in growth-oriented funds can help counteract the effects of inflation.

Health and Emergency Funds
Maintain an emergency fund separate from your retirement savings. This fund should cover unexpected expenses and be easily accessible. Additionally, ensure you have adequate health insurance to cover medical costs during retirement.

Appreciating Your Progress
Your dedication to saving and planning for retirement is commendable. By staying disciplined and proactive, you are well on your way to achieving your retirement goals. Continue your efforts with confidence and regular guidance from a Certified Financial Planner.

To achieve a retirement corpus of ?2.25 crores by age 60, consider increasing your SIPs, diversifying your investments, and regularly reviewing your portfolio. With professional guidance and careful planning, you can secure a comfortable and fulfilling retirement.

Hi, My age is 43yrs and current investments are PF and PPF: 1.5cr, Mutual funds: 90Lakhs, Direct Stocks: 25lakhs, Fixed deposits: 40 lakh, SGB: 5 lakhs, Cash:40 Lakhs. Liabilities: Home EMI: 49,000 per month, kids education: 45,000 per month and other expense:45,000. Surplus of 1 lakh. I like to retire in 10 years. How much corpus do I need at the time of retirement. Liabilities: 2 Kids will complete 12the class in 6 years And then their marriage.
Ans: You are 43 years old with diverse investments. You aim to retire in 10 years. Your financial details are as follows:

Provident Fund (PF) and Public Provident Fund (PPF): Rs. 1.5 crore
Mutual Funds: Rs. 90 lakh
Direct Stocks: Rs. 25 lakh
Fixed Deposits (FDs): Rs. 40 lakh
Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGB): Rs. 5 lakh
Cash: Rs. 40 lakh
Liabilities and Expenses
Home EMI: Rs. 49,000 per month
Kids’ Education: Rs. 45,000 per month
Other Expenses: Rs. 45,000 per month
Total Monthly Expenses: Rs. 1,39,000
Surplus Income: Rs. 1 lakh per month
Your children will complete their 12th grade in 6 years and then have expenses for higher education and marriage.

Assessing Retirement Corpus Needs
1. Estimate Monthly Expenses Post-Retirement:

Assuming you maintain a similar lifestyle post-retirement.
Inflation-adjusted monthly expenses might increase.
Consider an inflation rate of 6% per year.
2. Calculate Retirement Corpus:

Calculate the amount needed to generate the required monthly income.
Factor in inflation and life expectancy (e.g., up to age 85).
1. Pay Off Liabilities:

Prioritize paying off the home loan before retirement.
This will reduce your monthly expenses significantly.
2. Build a Diversified Portfolio:

Continue with diversified investments in mutual funds, stocks, and bonds.
Consider increasing investments in mutual funds for growth.
Allocate a portion of your surplus to equity and debt funds.
3. Set Up Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs):

Use your monthly surplus of Rs. 1 lakh to set up SIPs.
Focus on equity mutual funds for higher long-term returns.
Consider balanced funds for a mix of growth and stability.
4. Emergency Fund:

Maintain an emergency fund to cover 6-12 months of expenses.
Keep this in a liquid and safe investment like a savings account or short-term FD.
5. Child Education and Marriage Fund:

Start a dedicated fund for your children’s education and marriage.
Use a mix of equity and debt mutual funds for this goal.
Adjust the allocation as you get closer to the need.
6. Review and Adjust Investments:

Review your portfolio every six months.
Adjust based on performance and changing needs.
Ensure you are on track to meet your retirement and other financial goals.
1. Estimate Future Monthly Expenses:

Current monthly expenses: Rs. 1,39,000
Adjusted for inflation over 10 years (at 6% per year).
2. Calculate Required Corpus:

Use a retirement calculator to estimate the corpus.
Factor in life expectancy, inflation, and expected returns on investments.
Additional Tips
1. Tax Efficiency:

Choose investments that offer tax benefits.
Consider tax-efficient mutual funds and debt instruments.
2. Adequate Insurance:

Ensure you have sufficient health and life insurance.
Review your policies to ensure they meet your needs.
3. Regular Monitoring:

Stay disciplined with your investments.
Regularly monitor and rebalance your portfolio.
To retire comfortably in 10 years, you need a substantial corpus. Continue your diversified investment strategy, focus on growth, and pay off your liabilities. Use your monthly surplus wisely to build a robust retirement fund. Regularly review and adjust your investments to stay on track.

I am 51 years man with wife 48 years old. I have one daughter 22 years who is working. I have 5.1 cr in mutual fund SIP. 1.2 cr. PF. Houses which i can sale 1.8 cr and 1.2 cr in bank and other investments. I would be saving another around 10 cr in next 9 years of my service and growth of my mutual funds I would like to know two things 1. How much corpus is required for good retirement 2. With the corpus of around 9 cr. Can i retire
Ans: It’s clear you’ve made significant strides in building a strong financial foundation. Let’s delve into your queries with a comprehensive assessment.

Understanding Your Current Financial Position
Current Assets

You have amassed Rs 5.1 crore in mutual fund SIPs, Rs 1.2 crore in PF, and Rs 1.2 crore in bank and other investments. You also own properties worth Rs 1.8 crore. This brings your total current assets to Rs 9.3 crore.

Future Savings

Over the next nine years, you anticipate saving an additional Rs 10 crore, which, coupled with the growth of your existing mutual funds, will further bolster your financial position.

Assessing Retirement Corpus Requirements
Living Expenses Post-Retirement

First, estimate your monthly expenses post-retirement. Consider inflation, healthcare, travel, and lifestyle changes. If we assume monthly expenses of Rs 1.5 lakh, this translates to Rs 18 lakh annually.

Life Expectancy and Inflation

Let’s assume a life expectancy of 85 years. That means your retirement could last for approximately 34 years. Given inflation, a conservative estimate might see these expenses doubling every 12 years.

Calculating Required Corpus

To sustain Rs 18 lakh annually for 34 years, accounting for inflation, a retirement corpus needs to be substantial. Generally, using a withdrawal rate of 4% is a safe rule of thumb. This implies you would need approximately Rs 4.5 crore just to cover expenses without depleting the principal.

However, considering inflation and healthcare, a more realistic figure would be closer to Rs 7-8 crore.

Can You Retire with a Corpus of Rs 9 Crore?
Current Corpus and Future Growth

Your current assets of Rs 9.3 crore are substantial. With an additional Rs 10 crore savings projected over the next nine years, your total corpus could potentially exceed Rs 19 crore.

Investment Growth

Assuming a moderate growth rate of 8% annually for your mutual funds and other investments, this corpus could indeed grow significantly. Diversifying your portfolio to include a mix of equity, debt, and other asset classes will help mitigate risks and ensure steady growth.

Retirement Timeline

At 51, planning to retire in nine years at 60, you have ample time to strategize and optimize your investments. This period is crucial for ensuring your corpus is well-managed and continues to grow.

Detailed Analysis and Strategic Recommendations
Mutual Fund Strategy

Your Rs 5.1 crore in mutual funds should be evaluated periodically. Actively managed funds tend to outperform index funds due to professional management and strategic adjustments. Focus on funds with consistent performance, experienced fund managers, and a track record of weathering market volatility.

Avoiding Index Funds

Index funds, while cost-effective, often underperform during market downturns. Actively managed funds offer the advantage of tactical asset allocation and better risk management. This is crucial in ensuring your retirement corpus is not significantly impacted by market fluctuations.

Direct funds may seem attractive due to lower expense ratios. However, investing through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) ensures expert guidance, strategic planning, and comprehensive financial advice. Regular funds, managed through an MFD with CFP credentials, offer better long-term value despite slightly higher costs.

Diversification and Risk Management

Diversifying your portfolio is essential. Allocate assets across equity, debt, and other instruments. Equity offers growth potential, while debt provides stability. Consider balanced funds that offer a mix of both, ensuring steady returns with reduced volatility.

Health Insurance and Contingency Planning

As you approach retirement, prioritize health insurance. Opt for a comprehensive family floater plan with high coverage to protect against unforeseen medical expenses. This ensures your retirement corpus remains intact for its intended purpose.

Maintain an emergency fund of at least six months' expenses in a liquid instrument. This ensures liquidity during unexpected financial needs without disrupting your investment strategy.

Ongoing Financial Planning

Regularly review and adjust your financial plan. Market conditions, personal circumstances, and financial goals evolve. Continuous assessment ensures your plan remains aligned with your retirement objectives.

Working with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) provides valuable insights, strategic planning, and peace of mind. Their expertise helps navigate complex financial landscapes and optimizes your investment strategy.

Empathy and Appreciation

Your dedication to securing your financial future is commendable. Balancing current needs with future goals is challenging, but your proactive approach positions you for a comfortable retirement. It’s crucial to continue this disciplined approach and seek professional advice when needed.

Retirement Dreams

With a projected corpus exceeding Rs 19 crore, you are well-positioned for a comfortable retirement. This allows for a fulfilling lifestyle, travel, and pursuing passions without financial stress.

In conclusion, your current and future financial outlook is promising. With careful planning, strategic investments, and professional guidance, you can achieve a secure and fulfilling retirement.

Dr Nagarajan J S K

Dr Nagarajan J S K   |47 Answers  |Ask -

Health Science and Pharmaceutical Careers Expert - Answered on Jul 20, 2024

Dr Nagarajan J S K

What is better to choose between vet or bpharm (I am a gen category student).According to my research I came to know that in today's market the bpharm graduates are not even considered as reputated pharmacists,after the degree too they get placements of 12k-15k per month only and growth even after a master's is not much. Whereas in vet gov vacancies are open but will everyone get the gov jobs ? Also in coming years what are the demands of these both fields and what is better to choose
Ans: Hi,
It seems there may be some misunderstanding and disappointment regarding the analysis of job opportunities in the pharmaceutical field. It's important to note that the pharmaceutical sector still holds promising prospects. However, it is essential for candidates to acquire in-depth knowledge. Completing a B.Pharm alone does not guarantee comprehensive expertise. It's essential to delve beyond the basic surface-level knowledge obtained during undergraduate studies. I'm unaware of your state of residence and the college where you pursued your B.Pharm.

Key locations with a strong pharmaceutical industry presence include Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, and Ahmedabad. Chennai also has a few reputable pharmaceutical companies, albeit in limited numbers. It's crucial to consider your career choice rather than just a job. What is your preference: IT, Marketing/Sales, or Core Pharma? In IT, the remuneration is considerably higher in comparison to core pharmaceutical roles, but sustainability may be a concern. On the other hand, Sales/Marketing requires hard work but offers significantly better remuneration, e.g., INR 6-8L per annum. If the pharmaceutical industry is your preference, starting packages for fresh B. Pharm graduates typically range between INR 15,000 to 25,000.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. I wish you the best for your future endeavors.