Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 02, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more

My Son wants to pursue Masters in Data Science in US after completing his Computer Science (BE with honors in Data Science). As a parent what are the check list from my end.

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. Being involved and encouraging of your son's educational goals as a parent is fantastic. Pursuing a Master's degree in Data Science in the United States could provide him with several opportunities. This list of ideas can help you as a parent support your son during the process:

1. Colleges and programs for research: Assist your son in his quest for renowned US colleges that provide Master's in Data Science programs. Take into account program curricula, academic expertise, research possibilities, and industry contacts.

2. Entry requirements: Know the requirements for admission to the universities your son is considering. This could consist of academic records, LoRs, GRE/GMAT test results, a SOP, and evidence of English language ability (TOEFL/IELTS).

3. Planning Finances: Talk to your kid about the costs associated with studying abroad. Examine several financial choices, including grants, loans, assistantships, and scholarships. Calculate the approximate cost of living expenditures, health insurance, and other connected costs.

4. Visa and immigration: Know the US student visa procedure. Examine the required forms, processes, and any difficulties that may arise. Keep abreast of changes to immigration laws and requirements.

5. Application timeline: Assist your son in making a schedule for the application procedure that includes the due dates for financial aid, admission, and visa applications. Assure that he stays organised and provides all required documentation on time.

6. Statement of Purpose: Help your son write a compelling SOP that highlights his academic prowess, research interests, professional aspirations, and his particular interest in earning a Master's in Data Science.

7. Recommendation Letters: Encourage your son to ask professors, mentors, or other experts for strong letters of recommendation. Assist him in gathering all the data and due dates demanded by the recommenders.

8. Standardized exams: Encourage your youngster to study for exams like the GRE or GMAT if necessary. To become acquainted with the format and scheduling of the exams, provide resources and practise materials, and urge him to take practise exams.

9. Academic readiness: Make sure your son keeps up a high academic record throughout his college education. Find him relevant online workshops, tutorials, or courses to help him expand his understanding of data science and related topics.

10. Collaboration and internships: Support your son's attendance at data science-related conferences, seminars, and workshops. Encourage him to look into possible field internships that could improve his practical experience and expose him to the sector.

11. Wellness and good health: Throughout the process, ensure your son's physical and mental well. While studying abroad, make sure he prioritizes his well-being and develops a solid support system.

12. Cultural adaptation: Prepare your son for cultural differences he may face in the United States. Counsel him about adjusting to a new environment, such as housing, transportation, and local traditions.

Respect your son's decisions and be transparent with him throughout the process. Together, going through the checklist might make the journey easier to manage. Good luck to your son as he pursues his Master's in Data Science!

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jul 04, 2023

My son wants to go for MS degree in US. He is working as software engineer for one year now. Please advise pros and cons. Thanks,
Ans: Hello Sreekumar,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. Choosing to pursue a Master of Science (MS) degree in the United States can be a significant decision with several pros and cons to consider. Here are some factors to keep in mind:

Pros:
1. Advanced Education: An MS degree can provide specialized knowledge and advanced skills in a particular field, allowing your son to deepen his expertise and stay competitive in the job market.

2. Career Opportunities: Many employers value candidates with advanced degrees, and an MS can enhance his chances of landing higher-level positions or advancing his career in the software engineering field.

3. Networking: Studying in the US can provide excellent networking opportunities, allowing your son to connect with industry professionals, potential mentors, and fellow students who may become valuable contacts in the future.

4. Research Opportunities: If your son is interested in pursuing research or academia, an MS degree can serve as a stepping stone towards a Ph.D. program and open doors to research positions or teaching opportunities.

5. Exposure to Diverse Perspectives: Studying in the US exposes students to a culturally diverse environment, which can broaden their horizons, foster global awareness, and provide a rich learning experience.

Cons:
1. Financial Considerations: Pursuing an MS degree in the US can be costly, including tuition fees, living expenses, and potentially higher healthcare expenses. It's important to carefully assess the financial implications and explore scholarships, grants, or assistantships to help mitigate costs.

2. Competitive Admissions: Admission to reputable MS programs can be highly competitive, especially in sought-after fields. Your son will need to prepare a strong application, including competitive test scores, letters of recommendation, and a compelling statement of purpose.

3. Temporary Stay: Pursuing an MS degree usually involves a temporary stay in the US on a student visa. It's essential to be aware of the associated visa requirements, potential limitations on employment, and the need to return to one's home country after completing the degree, unless pursuing further work authorization or education.

4. Personal Adjustments: Moving to a different country for studies can be a significant adjustment, including adapting to a new culture, lifestyle, and potentially being away from family and friends. Your son should be prepared for the challenges of living abroad and maintaining a support network.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Nov 02, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 01, 2023Hindi
I am a ECE graduate, who wants to pursue MS in Data Science. I have no prior experience in data science except for a small part of data visualization in final year project. What all things do I need to keep in mind, while looking ahead to do masters in US?

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to know that you have earned a Bachelor’s in Electronics and Communication Engineering and wish to pursue an MS in Data Science in the USA. Although you possess no prior experience in the data science field, I would like to inform you that with a background in ECE, it is possible to pursue your Master's in the field of Data Science. However, you will need to take into account the following in order to be able to do so:

Firstly, conduct an extensive study on programs and universities in the USA that resonate with your passion as well as your professional ambitions in data science. To fill in the gap between your background in Electronics and Communication Engineering and as a prerequisite for a program in Data Science, I would recommend that you prepare and appear for required courses in programming (e.g., Python), statistics, and machine learning fundamentals. To showcase your interests and abilities, consider creating your own projects in data science. Also remember that displaying those projects in your portfolio can help make up for your limited experience in the field. Keep in mind that to secure admission, a number of universities in USA require students’ to appear for standardized tests viz., the GMAT or GRE. I would suggest that you look into the particular prerequisites for the programs you intend enrolling to. I also suggest that you draft a strong personal statement or statement of purpose (SOP) outlining how your background in Electronics and Communication Engineering is pertinent to the course you intend pursuing as well as your reasons for wanting to pursue Data Science. Robust endorsement letters from employers and professors who can attest to your abilities in the field of data science should also be obtained by you.

In addition, remember to factor in the tuition fees as well as the costs of living. I would suggest that you look into the available assistantships, scholarships, or other forms of financial aid to help alleviate those costs. Keep in mind the last date to apply to these universities and programs. I recommend that you begin applying beforehand. Follow these steps to pursue your Master's in Data Science in the USA and accomplish your educational as well as your professional ambitions.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Dec 30, 2023

I am about 68 year's I have two sons who are married via arranged process. My younger son's wife is educated teacher. But she had a torturous up bring during high school days. Leading to least interest in married life after marriage. She deserted my son soon after marriage. This led to break down in marriage now heading for a divorce. Please advise.
Ans: It sounds like a deeply painful situation for everyone involved, especially considering the emotional trauma your daughter-in-law experienced during her formative years.

It's important to recognize that individuals who have gone through traumatic experiences in their youth can carry emotional wounds that affect their relationships later in life. These scars may manifest in ways that make it difficult for them to fully engage in marital life or maintain a healthy relationship.

In situations like these, it’s crucial to approach with empathy and understanding. Your daughter-in-law’s decision to desert your son and pursue divorce likely stems from her own internal struggles and emotional turmoil. It’s not a reflection of your son’s worth or efforts within the marriage.

Moving forward, it might be helpful for your son to focus on his own healing and well-being. Encouraging him to seek support from friends, family, or a professional counselor can provide him with a safe space to process his emotions and navigate this challenging transition.

As a family, offering unconditional support and empathy to both your son and daughter-in-law can create an environment where healing and understanding can begin. It’s important to respect each individual’s journey and decisions while also recognizing the need for compassion during this difficult time.

Hi, I am 40 yr old woman. I am staying with my husband who always doubt me without any reason. As he is dependent on me. He is jobless from last 5 yr. I am the only earning person I don't have any type of attitude. While balancing professional as well as personal life I use to listen his bitter words every day. Not only that he started beating me like anything Just coz of so-called reputation I tolerate him. But 7 months back I came across with a man in my life we both started liking each other, I shared everything with him. But he left his job due to some issues with manager and started working somewhere else. He started ignoring me. Please help me out to understand what is right and wrong in this?
Ans: Balancing the pressures of professional life with the strain of an abusive marriage is a heavy burden, and you deserve to feel safe, respected, and valued.

Your husband's behavior—doubting you without cause, subjecting you to daily verbal abuse, and physically harming you—is deeply troubling and completely unacceptable. It's important to acknowledge that no matter the circumstances, you do not deserve to be treated this way. The fear of societal judgment and concerns about reputation are common reasons people stay in harmful relationships, but your well-being and safety are far more important than maintaining appearances.

Meeting someone who offers emotional support when you’re in such a painful situation is understandable. It’s natural to seek comfort and a connection when you're feeling isolated and mistreated. However, the new man's recent behavior, where he started ignoring you after changing jobs, might feel like another layer of abandonment. This is especially tough because you opened up and shared your struggles with him, hoping for understanding and companionship.

In terms of what’s right and wrong, it's essential to focus on your needs and well-being. Staying in an abusive relationship is harmful to your physical and emotional health. You have the right to seek safety and happiness. The relationship with the new man might have provided temporary emotional relief, but it seems he's not able to be the supportive presence you hoped for, especially now when he’s pulling away.
Right now, focus on what you need to feel safe and supported. Consider reaching out to trusted friends, family, or professional services who can help you navigate this challenging time. You deserve a life free from fear and filled with respect and care. Prioritizing your own happiness and safety is the most important step forward.