Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 02, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Jun 02, 2023

My Son wants to pursue Masters in Data Science in US after completing his Computer Science (BE with honors in Data Science). As a parent what are the check list from my end.

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. Being involved and encouraging of your son's educational goals as a parent is fantastic. Pursuing a Master's degree in Data Science in the United States could provide him with several opportunities. This list of ideas can help you as a parent support your son during the process:

1. Colleges and programs for research: Assist your son in his quest for renowned US colleges that provide Master's in Data Science programs. Take into account program curricula, academic expertise, research possibilities, and industry contacts.

2. Entry requirements: Know the requirements for admission to the universities your son is considering. This could consist of academic records, LoRs, GRE/GMAT test results, a SOP, and evidence of English language ability (TOEFL/IELTS).

3. Planning Finances: Talk to your kid about the costs associated with studying abroad. Examine several financial choices, including grants, loans, assistantships, and scholarships. Calculate the approximate cost of living expenditures, health insurance, and other connected costs.

4. Visa and immigration: Know the US student visa procedure. Examine the required forms, processes, and any difficulties that may arise. Keep abreast of changes to immigration laws and requirements.

5. Application timeline: Assist your son in making a schedule for the application procedure that includes the due dates for financial aid, admission, and visa applications. Assure that he stays organised and provides all required documentation on time.

6. Statement of Purpose: Help your son write a compelling SOP that highlights his academic prowess, research interests, professional aspirations, and his particular interest in earning a Master's in Data Science.

7. Recommendation Letters: Encourage your son to ask professors, mentors, or other experts for strong letters of recommendation. Assist him in gathering all the data and due dates demanded by the recommenders.

8. Standardized exams: Encourage your youngster to study for exams like the GRE or GMAT if necessary. To become acquainted with the format and scheduling of the exams, provide resources and practise materials, and urge him to take practise exams.

9. Academic readiness: Make sure your son keeps up a high academic record throughout his college education. Find him relevant online workshops, tutorials, or courses to help him expand his understanding of data science and related topics.

10. Collaboration and internships: Support your son's attendance at data science-related conferences, seminars, and workshops. Encourage him to look into possible field internships that could improve his practical experience and expose him to the sector.

11. Wellness and good health: Throughout the process, ensure your son's physical and mental well. While studying abroad, make sure he prioritizes his well-being and develops a solid support system.

12. Cultural adaptation: Prepare your son for cultural differences he may face in the United States. Counsel him about adjusting to a new environment, such as housing, transportation, and local traditions.

Respect your son's decisions and be transparent with him throughout the process. Together, going through the checklist might make the journey easier to manage. Good luck to your son as he pursues his Master's in Data Science!

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jul 04, 2023

My son wants to go for MS degree in US. He is working as software engineer for one year now. Please advise pros and cons. Thanks,
Ans: Hello Sreekumar,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. Choosing to pursue a Master of Science (MS) degree in the United States can be a significant decision with several pros and cons to consider. Here are some factors to keep in mind:

Pros:
1. Advanced Education: An MS degree can provide specialized knowledge and advanced skills in a particular field, allowing your son to deepen his expertise and stay competitive in the job market.

2. Career Opportunities: Many employers value candidates with advanced degrees, and an MS can enhance his chances of landing higher-level positions or advancing his career in the software engineering field.

3. Networking: Studying in the US can provide excellent networking opportunities, allowing your son to connect with industry professionals, potential mentors, and fellow students who may become valuable contacts in the future.

4. Research Opportunities: If your son is interested in pursuing research or academia, an MS degree can serve as a stepping stone towards a Ph.D. program and open doors to research positions or teaching opportunities.

5. Exposure to Diverse Perspectives: Studying in the US exposes students to a culturally diverse environment, which can broaden their horizons, foster global awareness, and provide a rich learning experience.

Cons:
1. Financial Considerations: Pursuing an MS degree in the US can be costly, including tuition fees, living expenses, and potentially higher healthcare expenses. It's important to carefully assess the financial implications and explore scholarships, grants, or assistantships to help mitigate costs.

2. Competitive Admissions: Admission to reputable MS programs can be highly competitive, especially in sought-after fields. Your son will need to prepare a strong application, including competitive test scores, letters of recommendation, and a compelling statement of purpose.

3. Temporary Stay: Pursuing an MS degree usually involves a temporary stay in the US on a student visa. It's essential to be aware of the associated visa requirements, potential limitations on employment, and the need to return to one's home country after completing the degree, unless pursuing further work authorization or education.

4. Personal Adjustments: Moving to a different country for studies can be a significant adjustment, including adapting to a new culture, lifestyle, and potentially being away from family and friends. Your son should be prepared for the challenges of living abroad and maintaining a support network.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 04, 2023

Can you please give me any tips for preparing for GRE?
Ans: Hello Vishal,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear about your plans on preparing for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). To prepare well and secure good grades, I would suggest the following tips:

1. Get to know the structure or format of the GRE
2. Make a study plan
3. Make use of authentic GRE study resources or guides
4. Practice on a regular basis
5. Get to know your strengths and weaknesses in each component of the GRE. Also, pay more attention to the areas that require improvement.
6. Sharpen your mathematical abilities by solving maths problems
7. Write Essays and pay heed to the format, flow of the essay, and clarity.
8. Enhance your vocabulary through vocabulary apps and flashcards.
9. Brush up on your reading skills by reading journals, newspapers, and literature.
10. Appear for Mock Exams
11. Understand the mistakes you have made in the mock exams and learn from them.
12. Do not practice continuously, engage in brief breaks during study sessions to remain alert and concentrate better.
13. To acquire more guidance, make use of GRE test prep books, engage in courses online, or consider hiring a teacher.
14. Register for the GRE exam well before you intend appearing for the test in order to obtain a seat.
15. If you plan on appearing for the GRE in offline mode, ensure that you visit your exam centre beforehand.
16. Be mindful of any modifications in the structure of the GRE or its rules as well as any updates.
17. Maintain a Healthy Balance
18. Master Time Management. Answer easy questions first and save the difficult ones for later. Avoid dedicating ample time to one question.
19. Stay Confident and remain assured to earn good grades in the test.
20. On the day of the test, carry all the required materials, including the ID and the admission test card.

Preparing for the GRE examination requires one to put in a lot of effort and time. I would suggest that you create a study plan in accordance with your personal strengths and weaknesses.

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 24, 2023
I have completed my BE in Mechatronics in 2016. Then i started working in embedded electronic segment. But now i want to do masters from USA with top universities in power electronics. What is process. Which university will be best. Is power electronics will be good choice as academically i am from mechatronics background but professionally i am from embedded and power domain.

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am glad to hear about your plans on pursuing a Master's degree in the USA. As an answer to your question, I would like to let you know that it is indeed possible and rather a fruitful step to shift from a Bachelor's degree in Mechatronics to a Master's degree in Power Electronics in the United States. Take the following steps into consideration.

1. Conduct a thorough study and choose: As the first step in the process, I would recommend that you conduct an extensive study on the field of your choice i.e. power electronics and take into account the employment possibilities it has to offer. Although you have a background in mechatronics as previously mentioned by you, you should make sure that the field of power electronics matches your career objectives and interests, and for the same, I suggest that you get in touch with field experts as they will be able to advise you better.

2. Select Universities: There are a number of universities that are renowned for their programs in the field of power electronics. I recommend that you conduct a comprehensive study and list universities. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of California, Berkeley, Stanford University, and University of Michigan are among the prominent ones. In addition, the university’s location, scholarship opportunities they have to offer, the experience of faculty members, and the likelihood of you securing admission should also be taken into account.

3. Appear for the GRE and English Proficiency Tests viz., IELTS or TOEFL: Majority of the universities in USA require students to prepare for and undertake the GRE i.e. Graduate Record Examination. You may also be required to prove your fluency in the English language through appearing for English competency tests viz. the IELTS or TOEFL, if English is not your first language.

4. Submit a Strong Personal Statement or Statement of Purpose: Next, I would suggest that you draft a strong personal statement or Statement of Purpose that outlines your reasons for wanting to pursue a Master's degree in Power Electronics, how your training in mechatronics as well as your hands-on experience in the embedded and power sectors will help you succeed, and the reasons behind selecting the universities you intend applying to.

5. Submit Academic Marksheets and Endorsement Letters: Along with the SOP, you will also need to submit your BE program marksheets, and obtain strong recommendation letters from instructors and employers who can attest to your educational and work abilities.

6. Take necessary courses: As mentioned earlier, you have a background in mechatronics and now wish to pursue your Master's in Power Electronics. To aid in your transition from mechatronics to power electronics, and to fill in the knowledge gap between your training in mechatronics and the particular demands of power electronics, you may be required to appear for certain prerequisite courses. The courses that you may be required to appear for are mentioned on the websites of the universities.

7. Plan your Finances: Studying in the USA can be a costly affair, and so I suggest that you plan your finances adequately. Take into account your financial circumstances. Also universities in USA offer ample scholarships and assistantships, look into the possible financial aid options that universities have to offer.

8. Make Applications to Universities: As part of the application procedure you will need to submit all the necessary documentation, pay the required application fees, and adhere to application deadlines. I suggest that you complete each university’s online application procedure.

9. Apply for a Visa: On receiving a Letter of Acceptance from the university, as the next step in the process, you will be required to apply for a student visa. Generally, an F-1 visa is required to study in USA. I suggest that you submit the required paperwork and adhere to all the visa prerequisites.

10. Prepare to Migrate: The final step in the process will require you to make all the necessary arrangements. Arrange for accommodation, obtain a medical insurance, and make arrangements for other requirements in the country. Understand the customs and academic standards of the country.

As an answer to your query whether power electronics is a good choice or not, I would like to tell you that as you have expertise in the power and embedded sectors, this field can be a fantastic one. Different sectors viz., electric vehicles, renewable energy, consumer electronics, etc. all depend on the field of power electronics. As mechatronics frequently includes the combination of mechanical systems, control systems, and electronics, your knowledge in the field of mechatronics can offer a distinct viewpoint.

Lastly, the university that you select should resonate with professional ambitions and research pursuits with the filed of power electronics. I would suggest that you conduct a thorough study on not only the courses but also the expertise of the faculty members at each university to ascertain which one best suits your educational and professional goals.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 03, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 03, 2023
I am doing WILP M.Sc IT first year BITS It is a course of 2.5 years in BITS. Can i join for 2nd year in abroad universities

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear about your plans on deciding to pursue the 2nd year of your WILP M.Sc IT BITS Pilani program at a university overseas. As an answer to your query, I would like to inform you that a number of factors including overseas universities’ guidelines as well as your BITS Pilani program’s acknowledgement play a vital role in deciding whether or not you are eligible to pursue the second year of the program at a university abroad. Please take the following factors into account:

1. Consider the program’s acknowledgement and accreditation: Accreditation or getting certified guarantees a student that his/her degree is legitimate and recognized by universities across the globe. As the first step in the process, I would suggest that you make sure that the pertinent academic institutions in India as well as overseas, both recognize as well as accept the WILP M.Sc. IT program at BITS Pilani.

2. Get to know the Transfer Guidelines: Transfer students are generally accepted by certain universities. Nevertheless, they possess unique prerequisites and constraints, and thus, in my opinion, it’s best to consult your preferred universities overseas in order to understand their guidelines with respect to the credit transfer from other schools/universities.

3. Familiarize Yourself with prerequisites for Admission: For transfer students, varying prerequisites for admission may be set forth by varying universities. I suggest that you get to know and adhere to not only their education criteria but also their prerequisites for language competency.

4. Ensure a coherence between the course curriculum: You will need to make sure that there is a coherence between the course of study that was completed by you at BITS Pilani and the program of study at the international university. Remember that in order to fill in any gaps, you may be needed to appear for other extra courses.

5. Plan your Finances: Pursuing studies overseas can be a costly affair, and for this reason, you will need to ensure that you have sufficient funds to pay for your living costs, tuition fees, as well as other miscellaneous expenditures.

6. Get in touch with education counselors: To better comprehend the consequences and the steps involved in the process of transferring to a foreign university, I highly recommend that you get in touch with education counselors at BITS Pilani as they will be in a better position to offer specialized advice based on your circumstances.

7. Get to know the Application Deadlines: You should get to know the last date to apply to your preferred universities overseas. For that, I recommend that you start planning well in advance and send in your application as per schedule.

8. Follow Visa and Immigration Prerequisites: There are visa and immigration prerequisites associated with studying overseas that you will be required to look in. To be able to study in your preferred country, I suggest that you adhere to the visa requirements in order to acquire the appropriate authorization.

I would like to inform you that transferring to an overseas university to pursue the second year of your studies is indeed possible. Nevertheless, you will need to take into account all the aforementioned aspects and plan meticulously. To see if you qualify and to understand the likelihood of transfer, I recommend that you conduct an extensive study and directly get in touch with each university as each may have unique prerequisites and guidelines.