Harsh

Harsh Bharwani  |56 Answers  |Ask -

Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Jan 06, 2024

Harsh Bharwani is a fourth generation entrepreneur.
As CEO and managing director, he leads the international business and employability initiatives at the computer networking institute, Jetking Infotrain Limited.
After graduating from Delhi University, Bharwani joined the family business in 2010 and set up operations in the US and Vietnam.
Asked by Anonymous - Oct 04, 2023Hindi

Hi, how do I start a business, for instance trading or an online business. Seriously thinking about it. How much capital is required for that? Thanks

Ans: If you want to start a business for instant income, whether it is trading or an online business, first of all you need more planning and consideration.

1. Identify Your Business Idea:

First of all, clearly define the product and service you want to provide and you can choose your product niche according to your interest, skill, and market demand.

2. Market Research:

Always do market research, that what is your target audience, what are the competitors of your chosen niche and what is the current industry trend according to your concepts? So that you can easily connect your unique selling proposition USPs.

3. Business Plan:

Please make your business strategy and plan clearly with your proper business concept or idea, target audience & market, marketing strategy,financial projections, and operational plan. For well-crafted execution for success.

4. Legal Structure:

By choosing the right legal structure for your successful startup. Such as LLC, corporation, or sole proprietorship. This will be impactful for your business taxes, liability, and other legal terms.

5. Register Your Business:

Firstly register your business name with government portals and take business running licenses or permits. Also, check the other local regulations and documentation.

6. Financial Planning:

Also estimate the cost of your business plan, ongoing expenses, and projected revenue. So that a budget and financial plan can be made easily. And there is no problem in doing factors like producing, marketing, and operating.

7. Funding:

Also, determine how you will be funded in your own business. This may include your personal savings, bank, and other loans, investors & sponsors, or crowdfunding. Because different business models have different capital requirements.

8. Online Presence (for Online Business):

You have to keep a lot of things in your mind to set up an online business, such as creating an attractive & professional website, setting up an e-commerce platform for selling, and making maximum use of social media platforms for marketing and promotions.

9. Supplier and Inventory (for Trading Business):

For starting a trading business, you have to establish relationships with vendors. And be sure to how you manage your business inventories.

10. Build a Network:

Need to build a strong network with your customers, consumers, mentors, and industry persons, and many more. Because networking is crucial for advice, support, and multiple business opportunities.

11. Marketing and Branding:

Before promoting make sure to develop a marketing strategy to better promotions. You can utilize the tools of digital marketing, and content creation to reach your target audience and customers.

12. Customer Service:

Always give priority to your customer, so that customer can become your satisfied customer and can come to you again and again and purchase your services.

13. Adapt and Evolve:

Always be flexible and ready to adapt. Also, keep an eye on current market trends and be prepared for essential changes in your business model based on customer feedback and reviews.

Capital Requirements:

The actual capital required varies widely depending on the nature and scale of your business. Online businesses often have minimal startup costs compared to other ventures. Trading businesses may require more capital for inventory, warehousing, and logistics.

It is essential to conduct a detailed financial analysis based on your business model. Remember, business success often involves a combination of planning, implementation, and continuous learning. Take a consultation with business advisors to get personalized guidance based on your business concepts, ideas, and it's goals.

Sir I am currently a student working as pg resident in government college l. My monthly stipend is 70000 of which I want to use 60000 in investment for upcoming future. I want to continue doing it for 3 years and if I get help from yours kind suggestion I will continue to do so. Humbly request you to guide me sir ?
Ans: It's admirable that you're proactive about investing your stipend for future financial security. Let's craft a strategic investment plan to help you achieve your goals.

Understanding Your Financial Goals
Short-Term Objective (3 Years):
Your primary goal is to invest your monthly stipend over the next three years to build wealth for the future.
This investment horizon allows for a balanced approach that combines growth potential with risk management.
Tailoring an Investment Strategy
Risk Profile Assessment:

As a student with a stable income, you may have a higher risk tolerance, given your long-term investment horizon.
However, it's crucial to strike a balance between risk and return to ensure the safety of your investments.
Diversified Portfolio Allocation:

Consider diversifying your investment across asset classes such as equities, debt, and possibly alternative investments like gold or commodities.
Diversification helps mitigate risk and enhances the potential for long-term growth.
Structuring Your Investment Approach
Equities:

Allocate a portion of your investment towards equities to capitalize on their potential for higher returns over the long term.
Invest in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap stocks or equity mutual funds to diversify your equity exposure.
Debt Instruments:

Allocate another portion of your investment towards debt instruments like fixed deposits, debt mutual funds, or bonds.
Debt instruments provide stability and regular income, making them suitable for risk mitigation.
Systematic Investment Plan (SIP):

Consider investing through a SIP in mutual funds to benefit from rupee-cost averaging and mitigate the impact of market volatility.
SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly, regardless of market fluctuations, fostering disciplined investing.
Monitoring and Review
Regular Portfolio Review:

Periodically review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance.
Make adjustments as needed based on changing market conditions or personal circumstances.
Continuous Learning:

Stay informed about financial markets and investment strategies to make informed decisions about your portfolio.
Consider seeking guidance from a Certified Financial Planner to optimize your investment strategy.
Conclusion and Encouragement
Your proactive approach towards investing is commendable and lays a strong foundation for your financial future. By implementing a diversified investment strategy and maintaining disciplined investing habits, you're well-positioned to achieve your long-term financial goals.

Iam 57 years old male. Iam going to retire after 3 yrs. I have invested 2. 5 lakhs in icici balance advantage fund . Can i contine investing or change can you advice
Ans: Evaluating Investment Strategy for Retirement
Understanding Your Current Situation
It's commendable that you're actively planning for your retirement. Let's assess your investment in ICICI Balance Advantage Fund and explore whether it aligns with your retirement goals.

Genuine Appreciation for Retirement Planning
Planning for retirement demonstrates foresight and responsibility towards securing your financial future. It's a crucial step towards achieving financial independence in your golden years.

Assessing Your Investment Choice
ICICI Balance Advantage Fund:
This fund follows a dynamic asset allocation strategy, aiming to balance risk and return by adjusting exposure to equities based on market conditions.
It offers the potential for growth while providing downside protection through tactical allocation.
Evaluating Investment Strategy for Retirement
Investment Horizon:

With retirement on the horizon in three years, your investment horizon is relatively short.
Short-term investment goals typically require a more conservative approach to minimize the impact of market volatility.
Risk Tolerance:

As you approach retirement, preserving capital becomes increasingly important.
Consider reassessing your risk tolerance and shifting towards more stable investment options to safeguard your savings.
Considering Alternatives
Debt Funds:

Debt funds offer lower volatility and can provide steady income, making them suitable for retirement portfolios.
Consider allocating a portion of your portfolio to debt funds to enhance stability and reduce overall risk.
Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP):

SWP allows you to systematically withdraw a fixed amount from your investments at regular intervals, providing a steady income stream during retirement.
Explore the possibility of implementing an SWP strategy to meet your income needs post-retirement.
Conclusion and Recommendation
Given your proximity to retirement, it's prudent to reassess your investment strategy and prioritize capital preservation. While ICICI Balance Advantage Fund offers growth potential, it may carry higher risk, which might not align with your current financial objectives.

Considering your retirement timeline, I recommend exploring more conservative options such as debt funds and implementing a systematic withdrawal plan to ensure a steady income stream post-retirement. Consult with a Certified Financial Planner to tailor an investment strategy that suits your retirement goals and risk tolerance.

Hello sir, I'm investing in quant small cap fund(5000 pm) and Aditya Birla Sun life PSU equity(10000pm), how much corpus should I expect after 2 or 3 years.
Ans: Assessing Potential Corpus Growth in 2-3 Years
Understanding Your Investment Strategy
It's great to see your commitment to investing and building wealth for your future. Let's analyze the potential corpus growth based on your current investments.

Compliments on Your Investment Initiative
Your proactive approach to investing is commendable. With careful planning and disciplined execution, you can achieve your financial goals effectively.

Analyzing Investment Horizon and Portfolio
Investment Horizon:

You're targeting a corpus growth within 2-3 years, indicating a short to medium-term investment horizon.
Short-term goals typically require a more conservative investment approach to mitigate risk.
Investment Allocation:

Currently, you're investing in two funds: Quant Small Cap Fund and Aditya Birla Sun Life PSU Equity.
These funds cater to different segments of the market, providing diversification.
Evaluating Potential Corpus Growth
Quant Small Cap Fund:

Small-cap funds are known for their potential for high returns but also carry higher risk.
Given the short investment horizon, anticipate moderate to high fluctuations in returns.
Aditya Birla Sun Life PSU Equity:

PSU equity funds primarily invest in stocks of public sector enterprises, offering stability but moderate growth potential.
Expect relatively lower volatility compared to small-cap funds.
Factors Influencing Corpus Growth
Market Performance:

Equity markets' performance significantly impacts the growth of your investment.
Economic conditions, corporate earnings, and geopolitical factors influence market movements.
Fund Performance:

Past performance of the selected funds provides insight but doesn't guarantee future returns.
Monitor fund performance regularly to assess its alignment with your goals.
Expected Corpus Growth Range
Quant Small Cap Fund:

Considering the high-risk nature of small-cap funds, anticipate a potential growth range of 10-15% annually.
Over 2-3 years, this could translate to a cumulative growth of 20-45%.
Aditya Birla Sun Life PSU Equity:

PSU equity funds typically offer more stability with potential growth in the range of 8-12% annually.
Over 2-3 years, expect a cumulative growth of approximately 16-36%.
Conclusion and Recommendation
Given the investment horizon of 2-3 years, it's crucial to balance risk and return expectations. While small-cap funds offer higher growth potential, they also come with increased volatility. PSU equity funds, on the other hand, provide stability but moderate growth.

Considering your risk tolerance and investment objectives, a combination of both funds can provide a balanced approach to corpus growth. Regularly review your portfolio's performance and adjust your investment strategy as needed to stay on track towards your financial goals.

Sir, my son is now 27 years old and would like to invest approx Rs. 10,000- 12,000 per month for the next 15-20 years and an approximate increase of 10-15% per year. Kindly suggest which type of investment should be planned in addition to any other suggestion's which would create a substantial monthly income after 20 years taking into consideration the money value and inflation
Ans: That's a fantastic plan for your son. Starting investments early creates a solid financial future. Let's explore some options to build a good monthly income after 20 years:

Building a Strong Investment Portfolio:

Diversification is key: Invest in a mix of asset classes like Equity (stocks), Debt (bonds), and Hybrid (mix of equity and debt) to manage risk and target long-term growth.
Consider Equity Mutual Funds: Actively managed Equity Mutual Funds can potentially generate good returns over the long term. They are professionally managed by experts.
Investing for Growth and Beating Inflation:

Systematic Investment Plan (SIP): Regular monthly investments (SIP) of Rs. 10,000-12,000 with a planned 10-15% annual increase is a smart approach. It inculcates discipline and leverages rupee-cost averaging.
Long-term horizon: A 20-year investment timeframe allows for market fluctuations to even out, focusing on long-term growth that outpaces inflation.
Planning for Future Income:

Goal-based investing: While aiming for monthly income, consider your son's future goals like retirement or higher studies. Tailor the investment mix accordingly.
Review and Rebalance: Regularly review the portfolio performance and rebalance allocations if needed to maintain the desired asset class mix.
Getting Professional Advice:

Talk to a CFP professional: A Certified Financial Planner can create a personalized investment plan for your son, considering his risk tolerance and financial goals.
Investment planning is crucial: A CFP can help navigate different investment options and choose the ones that best suit your son's needs.
Remember: Consistent investing, diversification, and professional guidance are key to building a strong financial future.

Hi, I have a query regarding health insurance. I have 2 policies from different providers. 1 policy has copay clause. Can I claim the copay amount from the other provider?
Ans: Claiming Copay from Another Health Insurance Policy
That's a good question! Unfortunately, you cannot claim the copay amount you pay under one health insurance policy from another provider. Here's why:

Copay is a fixed amount you share with your first insurer for covered medical expenses. It reduces your premium but requires you to pay upfront.
Each insurance policy works independently. They only cover your expenses as per their terms and conditions.
Here's how things work:

You file a claim with the insurer that has the copay clause.
They approve the claim amount after deducting the copay amount.
You pay the copay directly to the hospital or yourself (depending on the policy).
Alternatives to Consider:

Choose plans without copay: If copays are causing trouble, consider switching to plans with higher premiums but no copay requirement.
Increase coverage limits: If your current plans have low coverage limits, explore options with higher limits to minimize out-of-pocket expenses.
Speak to a CFP Professional:

A Certified Financial Planner can review your health insurance plans and suggest options that better suit your needs. They can also help you understand coverage details and claim procedures.

Remember: It's important to choose health insurance plans that complement each other and provide comprehensive coverage.

Im 62 year old and retired person. I am looking for health insurance policy for me and my wife who is 52 year old and housewife. I am suffering from high BP, Cervical and Lumber spondylitis, knee osteoarthritis, IBS and taking medicines for last 10-12 years. My wife has hypothyroidism, spondylitis and diabetes Please suggest better health insurance policy. Also suggest whether individual or family policy will be better Regards
Ans: I understand you're looking for a good health insurance plan for you and your wife. That's a smart decision, especially considering your health conditions. Let's break it down to help you choose the best option:

Understanding Pre-existing Conditions:

Your existing health conditions (BP, spondylitis, etc.) are called pre-existing conditions. These might affect your policy options and premiums.
Individual vs. Family Plan:

Family plan: Covers you and your wife together under one plan. It can be cheaper, but coverage limits get shared.
Individual plans: Separate plans for each of you. More flexibility, but might cost slightly more overall.
Considering Your Needs:

Pre-existing condition coverage: Look for plans that cover pre-existing conditions after a waiting period (if any).
Hospitalization coverage: Choose a plan with sufficient coverage for hospitalization expenses.
Medicines: Check if the plan covers medicines you take regularly.
Finding the Right Plan:

Talk to a CFP professional: A Certified Financial Planner can assess your needs and recommend suitable plans from different insurers.
Compare plans online: Many insurance companies offer online plan comparisons. Look for plans that cover pre-existing conditions and have good network hospitals in your area.
Here's a quick tip: Since your wife is younger and has a different health profile, individual plans might be better. This allows you to get customized coverage based on your specific needs.

Remember: Don't hesitate to ask questions! Choosing the right health insurance is important, and a CFP professional can guide you through the process.

Hi team, I have a health insurance since 2011. No claims as of now. I don't have BP or Diabetes as of now. the insurance company is NIA. What if in due course of time i develop some lifestyle ailment like BP or diabetes and it goes unchecked. will it affect my claims after that?
Ans: That's a great question! It's fantastic that you've been proactive with your health and maintained good health so far. Let's break down how pre-existing conditions and health insurance claims work:

No Claims and Pre-existing Conditions:

Good news! Having no claims history generally looks good to insurance companies. It shows you've been responsible with your health.
Pre-existing conditions are medical conditions you have before buying health insurance. These might affect your coverage or premiums in the future.
Lifestyle Ailments and Claims:

Lifestyle diseases like BP and diabetes can develop over time. If they go unchecked, they might become pre-existing conditions.
The impact on claims depends on your specific policy and when the condition developed. Some plans have waiting periods for pre-existing conditions. This means you might have to wait a certain time before coverage kicks in for those conditions.
Here's what you can do:

Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: This is key! Keep up the good work by eating healthy, exercising, and getting regular checkups.
Review your Policy Wording: Look at the section on pre-existing conditions and waiting periods. If unsure, call your NIA customer service for clarification.
Talk to a CFP Professional: A Certified Financial Planner can help you review your health insurance coverage and see if it aligns with your future health needs.
Remember: Early detection and management of lifestyle diseases can make a big difference. Taking care of your health now can benefit you in the long run, both physically and financially.

How should senior citizens cope with increase in health insurance premiums? How can I get this offline or online?
Ans: Here are some strategies senior citizens can use to cope with rising health insurance premiums:

Reduce policy costs:

Shop around and compare plans: Don't automatically renew your current plan. Get quotes from different insurance companies to see if you can find a more affordable option with similar coverage.
Increase deductible: Consider raising your deductible (the amount you pay out of pocket before insurance kicks in). This lowers your premium but means you'll pay more upfront for covered medical expenses.
Choose a co-pay plan: Opt for a co-pay plan where you share a fixed cost for covered services with the insurer. This can reduce your premium compared to plans without a co-pay.
Consider a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO): HMO plans typically have lower premiums but restrict your network of doctors.
Explore alternative coverage options:

Government-sponsored plans: Depending on your location, there might be government-sponsored healthcare programs for seniors, like Medicare (US) or Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) (India).
Employer-provided plans: If you're still working, inquire about your employer's health insurance plans for retirees.
Manage healthcare expenses:

Preventive care: Prioritize preventive care like checkups and screenings to potentially avoid costlier medical issues down the line.
Negotiate medical bills: Don't be afraid to negotiate medical bills with providers. You might be surprised by the savings you can achieve.
Prescription drug assistance: Explore programs that offer discounted or free medications for seniors.

I am 36 yrs , working as a educator in govt college getting in hand 80k/month ,sip of 4500 ,pls suggest best investment plan for children higher education and corpus of 2 cr till 55
Ans: Planning for Your Children's Higher Education and Building a ?2 Crore Corpus
Understanding Your Goals and Current Financial Situation
Congratulations on prioritizing your children's education and financial security. With your dedication and a well-structured plan, achieving a corpus of ?2 crore by the age of 55 is feasible.

Compliments on Your Responsible Approach
Your commitment to securing your children's future education is commendable. Your proactive approach to financial planning will undoubtedly benefit your family in the long run.

Evaluating Investment Options
SIP Investment:

Currently investing ?4,500 per month.
Consider increasing SIP amount gradually to align with your target corpus.
Income and Expenses:

Monthly in-hand income: ?80,000.
Assess your monthly expenses to identify surplus funds for investment.
Investment Horizon and Risk Profile:

Goal: Achieve ?2 crore corpus by age 55.
With a long-term horizon, a balanced approach with moderate risk is advisable.
Tailored Investment Strategies
Education Fund for Children:

Open a dedicated education fund for each child.
Allocate a portion of your monthly surplus towards these funds.
Diversified Investment Portfolio:

Consider a mix of equity, debt, and hybrid mutual funds.
Aim for a diversified portfolio to mitigate risk and optimize returns.
Systematic Investment Planning (SIP):

Increase SIP contributions annually to align with your financial goals.
Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio as needed.
Tax-Efficient Investments:

Explore tax-saving investment options like ELSS funds to optimize tax benefits.
Utilize tax-saving instruments effectively to maximize returns.
Emergency Fund Provision:

Maintain a separate emergency fund equivalent to at least 6-12 months of expenses.
Ensure liquidity to cover unforeseen expenses without impacting your investment corpus.
Monitoring and Reviewing Your Plan
Regular Portfolio Review:

Assess your portfolio's performance at least annually.
Make adjustments based on changing market conditions and financial goals.
Education Fund Tracking:

Monitor the growth of your children's education funds.
Adjust contributions as necessary to ensure they remain on track.
Financial Advisor Consultation:

Consider consulting a certified financial planner periodically.
Get personalized advice on optimizing your investment strategy.
By adopting a disciplined approach to investing and gradually increasing your SIP contributions, you can achieve your goal of building a ?2 crore corpus for your children's education and your retirement. Stay focused, review your progress regularly, and make informed decisions to ensure financial security for your family's future.