Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Aug 26, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
Deepak Question by Deepak on Aug 10, 2023Hindi

Hello Mr. Sushil Sukhwani, thanks for your advise. Just need small clarification, my daughter will be going to USA after 12th but in your response it's says after bachelor's so can you pleaase look into this and confirm?

Ans: Hello Deepak,

First and foremost, thank you for contacting us. We are extremely sorry for the part pertaining to Educational prerequisites, having mistakenly written Bachelor’s. Pursuing medical studies in the USA can certainly be fruitful, however, multiple steps are involved in the process, right from preparing for standardized exams to making applications for universities. The application process is as under:

1. Prerequisites:
• Academics: Your daughter will need to complete 12 years of schooling comparable to that of the U.S. high school education. This typically requires completing grades 11th and 12th.
• Standardized Tests: Prepare for and give the requisite standardized tests:
â—¦ SAT or ACT: Undergraduate admissions require one to appear for general standardized exams like the SAT or ACT. Certain universities might favor one over the other.
â—¦ SAT Subject Tests: For competitive programs like medicine, specific subject exams might be needed or recommended by certain universities.
• English Proficiency: If English is not your daughter's primary language, appear for the TOEFL or IELTS English language proficiency test.

2. Research and Choose Universities:
• Universities and medical programs that correspond to your daugther’s academic objectives, choices, and monetary capabilities should be researched.

3. Entrance Tests:
• MCAT: The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is required for admission to the majority of American medical schools. An applicant’s comprehension of scientific principles, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities are assessed in this standardized test.

4. Application Process:
• Online Applications: Via the Common Application or specific university websites, complete online applications.

• Transcripts: Academic marksheets including those of grades 11th and 12th, as well as any other pertinent education should be submitted.

• Recommendation Letters: Your daughter will require outstanding LoRs from professors, mentors, or professionals who can attest to her intellectual prowess and character.

• Statement of Purpose: Typically, applicants must compose a convincing personal statement outlining their purpose to pursue a medical career, relevant experiences, and attributes that make them a viable candidate.

• Extracurricular Activities: Talk about extracurricular activities, community service, leadership roles, and research experiences that you have undertaken.

5. Prepare Your Finances:
• Medical studies can be costly, therefore, budgeting is essential. Look into various scholarship opportunities, grants, and financial aid possibilities that universities offer.

6. Applying for a Visa:
• On being accepted, your daughter must apply for a student visa (F-1 visa) to study in USA. This entails submitting necessary documents, attending an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate, and proving she can pay for her education and living costs.

7. Pre-departure Preparations:
• Before leaving for the USA, make accommodation, travel, and other essentials arrangements.

8. Arrival and Orientation:
• Once you arrive, adapt yourself to campus life and academic expectations by attending orientation programs organized by the university.

Depending on the university and course, the process can differ a little. Check the official websites of the universities your daughter is interested in frequently and adhere to their particular application guidelines and deadlines.

The medical sector in the USA being highly competitive, securing admission to medical schools can be difficult. Your daughter will need to maintain excellent academic standards, actively participate in extracurricular activities, and perform well on the required exams to increase her admission chances.

In addition, speaking with a qualified educational counselor or advisor who specializes in assisting students apply to foreign universities can provide tailored guidance throughout the application process.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Apr 09, 2024

Namaskar, My daughter is 21 Years old now and had done 12th (Medical) in 2021 and attempted for NEET in 2021 and 2022, but not got selected. Now she wants to study in USA only (no other country) and want to do some graduation in psychology there. We have tried to make her about our financials and suggested to do graduation from India and then go for post graduation from USA. But she is not ready. Now she is at home only and doing nothing, not learning anything since 2021-22. Always just talking to her friends who are also doing nothing but they are married but have their life set. We have applied for US visa once but got rejected in visa interview. Now she is just waiting for Jun-24 to reapply. Please guide. Thanks
Ans: Hello Sunil,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear that your daughter completed her 12th (Medical) in 2021 and now wishes to study overseas, especially in the USA. Nevertheless, taking into account both, monetary considerations as well as alternate strategies to reach her objectives, I would recommend that she addresses this choice with a practical perspective. Although studying in the United States may be desirable, there are often huge financial costs involved, particularly for overseas students.

From an academic and financial standpoint, it may be more practical to advise your daughter to complete her undergraduate studies in India before thinking about postgraduate opportunities in the USA. Besides, it’s also imperative to address her current state of inactivity ever since she has finished her 12th grade. While she waits for her visa reapplication, I would suggest that she actively participates in fruitful ventures that can aid her in acquiring important expertise and knowledge viz., internships, online programs, or volunteer work pertaining to psychology or any other desired field. Not just that, she should also seek advise from academic consultants or professional guidance counselors as they would be able to offer her information about other educational options and assist her in making educated choices pertaining to her future. Ultimately, make her understand that obstacles viz., visa denials are normal and can teach valuable lessons, highlighting the value of tenacity and fortitude in accomplishing her objectives.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 18, 2024

Ans: Hello Sunil,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am happy to hear that your daughter completed her 12th in 2021 and now intends studying in the USA only. To answer your question first, I would like to tell you that your daughter’s desire to study in the USA is understandable, nevertheless, it is also crucial to take into account practical and monetary considerations. Given, your daughter is determined to study in the USA, I would suggest that you look into scholarships or other forms of monetary assistance to help alleviate the cost. I would like to let you know that in the USA, community colleges frequently charger lower tuition fees, and transferring to a university after two years may be more cost-effective. Moreover, your daughter might begin by strengthening her profile with pertinent activities or online psychology courses, which can in turn, boost her visa application and increase her chances of receiving scholarships.

Meanwhile, I would recommend that you motivate her to participate in activities that will help her improve her abilities and resume viz., volunteering work, internships, or part-time jobs in associated fields. This not only keeps her busy but also strengthens her application for both, visas and universities. Your daughter could increase her chances of being accepted if she reapplies for the visa in June 2024 with a more polished profile and a thoroughly thought-out application. Lastly, I would suggest that you have an open and encouraging discussion with your daughter, balancing her objectives with useful guidance on different routes to attain her objectives.

For more information, you can visit our website: www.edwiseinternational.com

You can also follow us on our Instagram page: edwiseint

I am 29 year old bengali female married to a Bihar guy. We know each other since college and we have been married for 3 years. Things began to turn bitter after few months of our marriage. My husband is a govt. Employee has seen extreme poverty in his childhood. I belong to upper middle class family. Both of our parents were against our marriage. Now his family especially mother pressurise him for money that is beyond our reach. She thinks I stop him to give money. She constantly abuses my husband. He has two elder brother who are good for nothing,both are married have kids and even they expect financial help from us. I am very tensed we can't even think of spending a penny for our personal enjoyment. My husband understands all these but everytime falls into prey of my MIL'S emotional drama. She fakes illness or fights for money. I can't even share this with my family.

I am very sorry to hear that you are in such a situation. It is indeed a very complex situation. Financial troubles can disrupt marital bliss. But it has to be addressed, even if it leads to conflicts. Speak to your husband about your concerns. Politely tell him that his family's demands and his response to them are causing a financial crisis in your home. Sit together and discuss how much financial support can you provide to his family and what's beyond reasonable. Have a monthly budget and since his family will continue asking for money, keep some money (what you have decided together) for the same. Keep an emergency fund and most importantly, have a decent amount of savings.

After all these discussions, if things still don't change, consider going for marriage counseling. You gave up an affluent life to be with him; he can surely give up certain things that are clearly unreasonable. A third neutral party can point this out without you having to say it.

You can also suggest your husband push his family members to get better jobs so that they can provide for themselves. Besides everything, don't forget to take care of yourself. Be in touch with your family and share your worries with someone close to you. And maintain regular check-ins with your husband. It can't be easy on him either.

Which institution is best to subscribe for online prepation of JEE. Candidate here has also joined a offline/regular classes in a small town. Please suggest.
Ans: ALLEN Online Test Series. User-friendly / Instant Result with Answers and Time Taken for Each Question.

Some IMPORTANT Preparation Strategies for JEE Preparation: (Wherever the Subject 'You' is used here, it refers for your Candidate). (1) Whenever you study at home, study for 45-minutes. Then take a break of 10-minutes when you can move away from your study table, walk, have some water & relax. If you continue studying beyond 45-minutes, your concentration power will go down, resulting to low output. Most students commit this mistake. (2) On daily basis (morning or evening whichever will be convenient to you), do yoga or meditation or physical exercises or play any games / sports for at least 30-45 minutes. This will further reduce your stress / distractions. (3) Study tough topics / tough subjects (applicable to you) early morning with your fresh mind. (4) Eat a lot of green vegetables / fruits which you can afford for & avoid soft drinks (5) Every day nigh, before going to bed, revise whatever you have studied during the day. (6) Also, revise every week whatever you have covered till date (here your short-notes which you should prepare will be helpful). (7) Keep practizing questions on topics which you have covered either offline or online (8) Give utmost importance to wrongly answered / difficult / complicated / tough questions and have a separate note-book specially for this for each subject (PCM) (8) You might be aware that JEE rank is allotted on the basis of highest score in Maths, followed by Physics & Chemistry. Practice more and more in Maths, till you reach Speed & Accuracy (9) By the end of 11th / 12th standard (December-January), attempt fully syllabus online test series, evaluate and analyze your performance such as, (a) which topic / unit / concept you are weak which needs your revision and improvement as this will disturb you when you appear in actual JEE exam (b) abnormal time taken to attempt any question which you can come to know from Online Test Series which you should reduce (c) which questions you skipped and why? (10) Make 100% utilization of 'Doubt Clearing Sessions' of Offline Class you have joined. All the BEST.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please ask / FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

I am 37 years old , and having 2.10 lacs salary in hand, I have SIP of Rs. 20k, apart from SIP I have invested in stock current market value is 10L, I have three flats which is cost approx 2.5 cr, i have a home loan as well of 35 lacs. Kindly guide me how I can achieve the milestone of 10 crore corpus in next 15 years.
Ans: Achieving a significant corpus like Rs. 10 crores in 15 years requires careful planning, disciplined investing, and leveraging various assets and investment avenues. Let's explore a comprehensive strategy to reach this financial milestone.

Current Financial Snapshot
Income and Investments
At 37 years old, with a salary of Rs. 2.10 lakhs per month, you have a solid foundation. Here's a snapshot of your current investments:

SIP Investment: Rs. 20,000 per month
Stock Investments: Current market value of Rs. 10 lakhs
Real Estate Holdings: Three flats valued at approximately Rs. 2.5 crores
Liabilities: Home loan of Rs. 35 lakhs
Strategic Roadmap to Achieve Rs. 10 Crore Corpus
1. Optimize Investment Portfolio
Review Existing Investments
Evaluate the performance and alignment of your current investments with long-term goals:

Stocks: Assess the potential for growth and consider diversification if necessary.
Real Estate: While real estate is valuable, ensure it aligns with your liquidity needs and financial goals. Consider rental income potential versus capital appreciation.
SIPs: Continue disciplined investing. Evaluate if the current SIP amount needs to be increased to meet the Rs. 10 crore target.
2. Increase Savings and Investments
Maximizing Monthly Contributions
Increase SIP Amount: Depending on your surplus income, consider increasing the SIP amount gradually. This accelerates wealth accumulation.
Bonus and Windfalls: Direct any windfall gains towards investments rather than discretionary spending.
3. Diversification and Risk Management
Balancing Risk and Return
Asset Allocation: Diversify across asset classes such as equity, debt, and possibly alternative investments like gold or international funds.
Risk Management: Regularly review and rebalance the portfolio to mitigate risks associated with market volatility.
4. Debt Management
Addressing Home Loan
Early Repayment: Explore options to accelerate home loan repayment to reduce interest burden and improve cash flow for investments.
Debt Consolidation: Consolidate high-interest debts if applicable to streamline finances and improve liquidity for investments.
5. Investment Avenues
Exploring Options Beyond SIPs
Equity Mutual Funds: Actively managed funds can potentially outperform passive funds like index funds due to strategic decisions by fund managers.
Debt Instruments: Consider debt funds for stability and regular income, balancing the portfolio against equity market fluctuations.
Systematic Transfer Plans (STP): Utilize STPs to stagger lump sum investments into equity funds, reducing timing risks.
6. Professional Guidance and Monitoring
Leveraging Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
Holistic Financial Planning: Engage with a CFP to develop a customized financial plan considering income, investments, goals, and risk appetite.
Periodic Reviews: Regularly review investment performance and adjust strategies based on changing life circumstances and market conditions.
Addressing Existing Policies and Investments
7. Insurance and Investment Policies
Surrender and Reinvest
LIC, ULIPs, Investment cum Insurance Policies: Evaluate existing policies for surrender value and consider reinvesting in more lucrative investment avenues like mutual funds for better returns.
Legal and Recovery Aspects
8. Recovering Debt
Legal Recourse
Documentation: Gather all evidence and communication related to the debt owed by your friend.
Legal Consultation: Seek legal advice to explore options like sending legal notices, mediation, or filing a suit in a court of law if necessary.
Financial Impact: While pursuing legal action, continue focusing on building your financial assets through disciplined investments.
Achieving a corpus of Rs. 10 crores in 15 years demands a balanced approach involving disciplined savings, strategic investments, and proactive debt management. Leveraging existing assets like stocks and real estate alongside increasing SIPs and exploring diverse investment avenues is key. Engaging with a Certified Financial Planner ensures a structured approach, optimizing your path towards financial independence and security.

Dr Hemalata

Dr Hemalata Arora  |194 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Jun 21, 2024

I am 77 years old. I was taking medicine for high BP from the age of 50 years.I was very active doing yoga regularly in the morning and doing walk in the evening. I do not smoke and do not drink as well. I am a person with height weight normal as per the standard chart. I was very active doing my job and never use to get tired. I worked for six years in Central Govt, thirty years in PSU and seventeen years in Private Organisations. I used to believe that " a Person should never retire from work". I stopped going to work from March 2020 after the Covid 19 spread in India. During a routine check up, my doctor mentioned on my prescription as "Stable Angina". I asked about it but he replied, it is nothing, do not worry. I was not having any pain etc. But this remark of Stable Angina. was written on my prescription on every visit. In June 2022, I got a CT Angiography done just to know the deposits in my arteries. It was found to be more in all the five arteries. But I had no symptoms of any pain or breathlessness while moving or working.In August 2022, I got some problem in my left eye, went to eye specialist, he observed a little deposit in eye nerve. He tried to break it but could not. I went for Angiography. All the arteries were found with deposits but still I had no pain etc. I was operated for Heart By pass Surgery on 22.9.22 and released from Hospital on 1.10.22. I was put on High Protein Diet. During Jan 23 to July 23, my Blood Urea Nitrogen & Urea got up the required level.High Protein Diet was stopped and advised take more Fruits. BUN & Urea came normal. More fruits were being taken. It caused potassium level to go up. Then in fruits also restriction imposed on banana, coconut water & citrus fruits. Now I am on restricted diet. BUN & Urea are normal but potassium remains fluctuating. Now I am alright but feel very weak. I do little walk but get tired soon. I am not able to do yoga due to low energy. Vitamin supplements are being taken but not getting strength. Even feels stability problem. While standing feels giddiness and feels that i may fall. I am also feeling severe pain in my arms muscles. Now I am taking medicines for BP, Cholesterol, Blood Thinner, Enlarged Prostrate Gland, Vitamin supplement. I always think why I am feeling so many problems after Heart Bye Pass Surgery. Please advise.
Ans: I feel you need your medications adjusted. They're probably making you feel like this.