Nayagam is a certified career counsellor and the founder of EduJob360.
He started his career as an HR professional and has over 10 years of experience in tutoring and mentoring students from Classes 8 to 12, helping them choose the right stream, course and college/university.
He also counsels students on how to prepare for entrance exams for getting admission into reputed universities /colleges for their graduate/postgraduate courses.
He has guided both fresh graduates and experienced professionals on how to write a resume, how to prepare for job interviews and how to negotiate their salary when joining a new job.
Nayagam has published an eBook, Professional Resume Writing Without Googling.
He has a postgraduate degree in human resources from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, Delhi, a postgraduate diploma in labour law from Madras University, a postgraduate diploma in school counselling from Symbiosis, Pune, and a certification in child psychology from Counsel India.
He has also completed his master’s degree in career counselling from ICCC-Mindler and Counsel, India.
Pallavi Question by Pallavi on Jun 22, 2024Hindi

My daughter got NIT PATNA cse is it good or not or whether she should took a drop

Ans: Pallavi Madam, prefer NIT-Patna for CSE. Drop is not at all advisable as a number of factors to be taken into consideration for the same such as, what was her percentile / Rank in JEE-Main & Advanced? What was her Score in Each Subject, PCM? Which coaching center she had joined and in which standard? Which NITs / IITs / Streams she was targeting? And why she wants to take a drop? She CAN take a drop only if she is 100% confident, changes her preparation strategies (better than last time) & she can score above 99.00 percentile in JEE-Main & below AIR-400 in her JEE-Advanced. All the BEST Madam for your daughter.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please Ask / Follow me in RediffGURU here.

Hi, I am a 35 year old female working in an IT company in India with monthly salary of Rs. 70k. I am unmarried with no kids. I have about 30 lakhs in PPF, 10 lakhs in FD/Savings along with own car. I want to take a decent flat in an urban City within a year for which I have to take home loan of 50-60 lakhs and also plan for my retirement in the next 20 years. I have never invested in MF/SIPs earlier but want to start now. Please help me with plans to achieve the above goals and to create a portfolio of min. 5 crores by my retirement. Also, pl. Suggest some SIPs for starters which are medium in risk and returns along with any other investment options.
Ans: You have a stable job with a monthly salary of Rs. 70k. Your savings include Rs. 30 lakhs in PPF and Rs. 10 lakhs in FD/Savings. You plan to buy a flat with a home loan and want to start investing in mutual funds.

Home Loan Planning

Taking a home loan of Rs. 50-60 lakhs is a big step. Ensure your EMI is manageable. Aim for an EMI that is less than 40% of your monthly income.

Starting with SIPs

SIPs are a great way to begin investing. They offer flexibility and are suitable for beginners.

Selecting SIPs for Starters

Diversified Equity Funds: These funds invest in a mix of large, mid, and small-cap stocks. They offer balanced growth and moderate risk.

Balanced Funds: These funds invest in both equity and debt. They provide stability and steady returns.

Flexi Cap Funds: These funds can invest across various market capitalizations. They adapt to market conditions and offer good growth potential.

Actively managed funds are handled by expert fund managers. They aim to outperform the market. This is a better choice than index funds, which simply track market performance.

Direct funds require self-management. They lack professional guidance. Investing through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) ensures better choices and portfolio management.

To achieve a retirement corpus of Rs. 5 crores in 20 years, invest regularly in SIPs. Increase your SIP amount by 10% every year. Also, diversify your investments to balance growth and risk.

Additional Investment Options

Debt Funds: These provide stability and regular income. They are less volatile than equity funds.

ELSS Funds: These offer tax benefits under Section 80C. They have a lock-in period of 3 years.

Investing in SIPs is a smart move. Start with diversified equity and balanced funds. Consult a Certified Financial Planner to tailor your investments to your goals. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio.

Sir.. I am NRE I want to start SWP plan after 5 years 2030 with 1 cr. If I invest this 5 years stocks or SIP after 5 years that money I have to again invest in SWP in this case I have to pay the Capital gain tax before transfer the money from SIP orstocks. My plan I will start 10 L with SWP plan and every year's I can put 20 L in SWP and after 5 years I can start the with drawal 0.5 %.SWP plan I donot have clear idea. Need expert advaise SWP can I start now and increase my investment in same plan yearly?
Ans: An SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly from your investment. This provides a steady income flow while keeping your remaining investment growing.

Investing for 5 Years
You can invest in a mix of equity and debt mutual funds. This balance will provide growth and stability.

Invest in large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. They offer growth potential over five years.

These funds are less volatile and provide stability. Consider investing part of your funds here.

Capital Gains Tax
When you sell stocks or mutual funds, you must pay capital gains tax. This applies before you transfer funds to an SWP.

Long-Term Capital Gains (LTCG)
For equity, gains over Rs. 1 lakh are taxed at 10% if held for more than a year. For debt, the tax is 20% with indexation if held for more than three years.

Short-Term Capital Gains (STCG)
For equity, gains are taxed at 15% if held for less than a year. For debt, gains are added to your income and taxed as per your slab.

Starting SWP with Rs. 1 Crore
After five years, you can move Rs. 1 crore into an SWP. Start withdrawing 0.5% monthly.

Example
If you start with Rs. 10 lakhs, withdraw Rs. 50,000 per month. Increase your investment yearly by adding Rs. 20 lakhs.

Increasing Investments Annually
Yes, you can increase your SWP investment yearly. This can help grow your corpus and increase your withdrawal amount over time.

Invest in a balanced mix of equity and debt mutual funds. Understand the capital gains tax implications. Start SWP with Rs. 1 crore and withdraw 0.5% monthly. Increase your investment yearly for a growing income.