Mayank Kumar  |192 Answers  |Ask -

Education Expert - Answered on Feb 15, 2023

Sachin Question by Sachin on Feb 09, 2023Hindi

My son is appearing for his board exam of 12 class. He want to pursue his career in Physics. What options are available in future for him.

Ans: Physics is a wide field. Your son can continue to build his career in the domain of physics - and go for higher order degrees - masters / PhD in India or abroad. After studying physics - your son can explore academia, deep tech, astronomy, nuclear etc. Physics graduate after doing their graduation - also look at finance as an area to go deep into - quantum finance. Some get into MBA too .. So if he is interested in physics - let him pursue that - but have a chat with him on what he would like to post his graduation ..

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Mar 22, 2024

My Son did his B. Tech in engg physics from iit Guwahati in 2018. He is very intelligent. Got Bits Pilani high marks, Bengal Joint Rank 70.He had Jest rank 2.Did PhD in physics 2023 subject string theory from TIFR. Now got in southampton uk as post doc. What I find that the general academia is a very long journey and scope is very limited. The income stream also not very encouraging compared to other streams available for a student like my son. My son in love of physics. Let me know what should a person like his caliber do and if wants to switch what should be the direction.
Ans: Hello. It is good to hear that your son has a good academic score and background. It is understandable that you are concerned about your son’s career prospects and income potential in academia, especially in fields like physics. However, given your son’s complete background with a focus on physics and the fact that they release the scope is less, still he can choose to change
1. Your son can choose to work in the R&D departments of companies in technology, aerospace, defence, energy, and finance. The sectors offer competitive salaries.
2. Given your son’s physics background, he can have a smooth transition in the data science and analytics fields. The field has huge demand and can help in leveraging analytical skills.

3. Also, your son can consider entrepreneurship, the science and technology sector, where he can work with complex science concepts., and quantitative finance, where he can put his mathematical and analytical skills to use. The popular roles include financial engineer, risk analyst, quantitative engineer, etc.

4. Apart from this, your son can continue to pursue his education by pursuing postdoctoral research, publishing papers, and choosing to be a professor.

The ideal choice for your son would be totally based on his strengths, career goals, aspirations, and priorities. Talking about transferring to different fields would require a whole new skill set or credentials.

For further assistance, you can get in touch with us.

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Mar 22, 2024

Hi experts, My son is 24 years perusing this MSc in Physics from IIT and will be completing his masters in 2024 May, he is Mechanical Engineer as well. What are the job opportunities for him in India ?? Kindly assist on this please.
Ans: Your son has a strong educational background with a Mechanical Engineering degree and an upcoming MSc in Physics from IIT. This combination opens up a wide range of job opportunities in both the public and private sectors. Here are some potential job roles and sectors he might consider:

Job Roles:

Research Analyst: Conduct research on physical phenomena, create theories and develop methods on how to apply physical laws and theories.
Observation Scientist: Collect and record data, which enables them to construct and then test hypotheses and theories.
Assistant Scientist: Provide support to the scientist in research and educational subject.
Physics Training Manager: Evaluate employees and identify weaknesses. They research, plan and implement training programs that will prepare employees for the next step of their careers.
Software Engineer: Physics helps with logical thinking, debugging issues, solving complex problems, and working with physics-related applications.
Sectors:

Healthcare: MSc Physics graduates have ample opportunities in sectors like healthcare.
Manufacturing and Electronics Companies: These companies often require individuals with a strong understanding of physics.
Academic Institutions: Both public and private academic institutions often have positions for individuals with a background in physics.
Research Laboratories: These can be in the public or private sector.
Atomic and Space Organizations: Organizations like BARC, ISRO often recruit individuals with a strong background in physics.
Telecommunication Sectors: The principles of physics are often used in this sector.
Remember, the salary can vary based on the role and the organization. A campus placement could get students approximately 9-10 LPA and can increase up to 30 LPA based on the experience gained. In the government sector, salaries range from INR 5,00,000 to INR 7,00,000 per annum.

I would recommend your son to start exploring these opportunities and see which ones align with his interests and career goals. Good luck!