gunadhara Question by gunadhara on Feb 27, 2024Hindi

SunilJi, i follow your advice always . Thanks for your efforts . I am 48 years old and me and my wife earn close to 5 lakh every month . i have 10 sites in Bangalore totaling 20000 sft @ avg price of 6500 per sft at current market value and savings of 1.2 cr. Already owning house and 3 let out properties . For constant income is it advisable to sell couple of sites and construct houses for rental purpose or sell properties and invest in mutual fund as i don't see much appreciation in real estate

Ans: Sell properties and invest in liquid assets like mutual funds

I am 50 and I have approx 9cr + 2 properties worth 7 cr. All my investments atm are in equities (MF 90% (high and medium risk) and 10 % stock). One of the property price is stuck at 3.5 cr from last 10 years. Not sure if I should sell this property and put the money into stocks. I do not need more than 1 lakh per month as I plan to retire in small town and I have a very simple life. So, if i keep aside approx 20 lakh every year and leave rest as invested, How much you think I can conveniently generate from these. Also, do you suggest selling the property and investing this in stocks as I do not want to carry a hassle of maintaining the property and need freedom to go anywhere and live. However if I sell the property I expect 60% will come to me as black and 40% will be white. So I can only invest 50%.
Ans: Firstly, congratulations on building a substantial asset base. Your prudent investments and property holdings reflect a keen eye for financial planning. At 50, planning for a relaxed retirement in a small town is a great choice. Given your current investments and lifestyle, let’s delve into a comprehensive strategy to maximize your returns and simplify your financial life.

Understanding Your Current Financial Position

You have Rs 9 crore in equity investments and two properties worth Rs 7 crore. One of the properties has not appreciated in value for the past decade. Your equity portfolio is well-diversified with 90% in mutual funds (high and medium risk) and 10% in stocks. You aim for a monthly income of Rs 1 lakh and want to set aside Rs 20 lakh annually, leaving the rest invested.

Creating a Monthly Income Stream

To generate a monthly income of Rs 1 lakh, you need investments that offer stability and regular returns. Let’s explore how you can achieve this through a mix of investment avenues.

Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP) in Mutual Funds

An SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly from your mutual fund investments. This provides a steady income while keeping the remaining corpus invested for growth. Given your substantial mutual fund holdings, an SWP can be an effective strategy. You can set up an SWP to withdraw Rs 1 lakh per month, ensuring a reliable income stream.

Debt Mutual Funds and Fixed Deposits

Consider allocating a portion of your corpus to debt mutual funds and fixed deposits. These instruments offer stability and predictable returns. Debt mutual funds can provide better post-tax returns compared to fixed deposits, making them a suitable choice for regular income.

Public Provident Fund (PPF) and Senior Citizens’ Savings Scheme (SCSS)

Although you are not a senior citizen yet, once you reach 60, SCSS can be an excellent investment for regular income. Meanwhile, you can continue contributing to your PPF account. Both these schemes offer tax benefits and secure returns, adding stability to your portfolio.

Selling the Underperforming Property

You mentioned the property valued at Rs 3.5 crore has been stagnant for a decade. Selling this property can free you from maintenance hassles and provide liquidity for better investments.

Considerations Before Selling

Before deciding to sell, weigh the potential black money issue. If 60% of the sale proceeds are in black money, it limits your reinvestment options. Ensure you understand the legal and tax implications. Consulting a legal advisor can help navigate this aspect.

Investing Sale Proceeds in Stocks

While equities offer high growth potential, investing a large lump sum at once can be risky. Market timing and volatility are significant concerns. Instead, consider a phased approach through Systematic Transfer Plans (STP) or gradually increasing your equity exposure.

Balanced Portfolio Approach

A balanced portfolio with a mix of equity, debt, and other instruments reduces risk and ensures steady returns. Given your substantial corpus, preserving capital while ensuring growth is essential. Let’s explore the components of a balanced portfolio.

Continue investing in mutual funds and stocks, but with a balanced approach. Allocate a portion to large-cap and multi-cap funds for stability, and the rest to mid-cap and small-cap funds for growth. Regularly review and rebalance your equity portfolio to align with market conditions and your risk tolerance.

Debt Investments

Debt mutual funds, fixed deposits, and government schemes should form a significant part of your portfolio. These instruments provide predictable returns and safeguard against market volatility. Ensure your debt investments are diversified across different types and maturities.

Gold Investments

Gold is a good hedge against inflation and market risks. Consider allocating 5-10% of your portfolio to gold through gold ETFs or sovereign gold bonds. This adds a layer of security and diversification.

Health and Life Insurance

Ensure you have adequate health and life insurance coverage. Medical emergencies can deplete your savings, and having a robust insurance plan protects your financial stability. Life insurance ensures your loved ones are secure in case of unforeseen events.

Efficient tax planning enhances your returns. Utilize tax-saving instruments and strategies to minimize your tax liability. This ensures more funds are available for investment and income generation.

Setting Up a Contingency Fund

A contingency fund covering at least six months of expenses is crucial. This fund acts as a buffer during emergencies and prevents disruptions in your financial plan. Keep this fund in liquid instruments like savings accounts or liquid mutual funds.

Phased Withdrawal Strategy

Instead of withdrawing a large amount at once, adopt a phased withdrawal strategy. This ensures your investments continue to grow while providing the required income. Review your withdrawal strategy annually to align with your financial needs and market conditions.

Your financial foundation is strong, and with prudent planning, you can enjoy a comfortable retirement. Selling the underperforming property can provide liquidity for better investments, but consider the black money implications carefully. A balanced portfolio approach, combining equity, debt, and gold, ensures growth and stability. Setting up a systematic withdrawal plan and having adequate insurance coverage further secures your financial future. Regularly review and adjust your financial plan to stay aligned with your goals.

Hi , Is it advisable to buy a 10 years old independent house in Bangalore which generates around 80,000 rent per month with cost of 1.75Cr or better to invest in plots in upcoming area which will have appreciation? can you please explain which suits better for 45 years old with out loans and having steady passive income of 1.75 lakhs already and single salary income of around 1.5 lakhs . Thank you .
Ans: let’s dive into this important decision of choosing between buying an independent house or investing in plots. Given your circumstances, we'll evaluate the pros and cons of each option, considering your steady passive income and single salary income.

Understanding Your Current Financial Situation
You’re 45 years old with no loans, a steady passive income of Rs 1.75 lakhs per month, and a single salary income of around Rs 1.5 lakhs per month. This provides a strong financial base.

Considering Real Estate as an Investment Option
Real estate investments can be lucrative but require careful consideration. We’ll compare the two options: buying an independent house and investing in plots.

Buying an Independent House
An independent house can generate rental income and potential appreciation. Let’s break down the advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of Buying an Independent House
Stable Rental Income: Generates Rs 80,000 per month, providing a steady income stream.

Appreciation Potential: Property values in Bangalore generally appreciate over time.

Tangible Asset: An independent house is a tangible asset you can use or sell.

Tax Benefits: Rental income offers tax benefits, including deductions on property tax and maintenance expenses.

Disadvantages of Buying an Independent House
High Initial Cost: Rs 1.75 crores is a significant investment.

Maintenance Costs: Ongoing maintenance can be expensive and time-consuming.

Property Management: Managing tenants and property upkeep can be challenging.

Liquidity Issues: Real estate is not easily liquidated if you need quick cash.

Investing in Plots
Investing in plots in upcoming areas can offer significant appreciation potential. Let’s explore the pros and cons.

Advantages of Investing in Plots
Potential for High Appreciation: Plots in upcoming areas can appreciate significantly as infrastructure develops.

Lower Maintenance Costs: Plots generally have lower maintenance costs compared to buildings.

Flexibility: You can hold the plot for appreciation or develop it later.

No Tenant Management: No need to manage tenants or property upkeep.

Disadvantages of Investing in Plots
No Immediate Income: Unlike a house, plots don’t generate rental income.

Market Risk: Appreciation depends on market conditions and development in the area.

Long-Term Investment: Plots typically require a longer investment horizon for significant appreciation.

Property Taxes: You still need to pay property taxes, even without rental income.

Evaluating Your Financial Goals
Your financial goals and risk tolerance play a crucial role in this decision. Let’s evaluate which option aligns better with your goals.

Short-Term Goals
If your goal is to generate immediate income, buying an independent house is more suitable. The rental income can supplement your passive income.

Long-Term Goals
If you’re looking for long-term appreciation, investing in plots may offer higher returns. However, this requires patience and a long-term perspective.

Considering Market Conditions
Market conditions in Bangalore also influence your decision. Here’s what you should consider:

Real Estate Market in Bangalore
Demand for Rental Properties: High demand for rental properties in Bangalore can ensure consistent rental income from an independent house.

Appreciation Trends: Research the appreciation trends in both established and upcoming areas.

Infrastructure Development: Upcoming areas with planned infrastructure development have high appreciation potential.

Risk Tolerance and Investment Horizon
Your risk tolerance and investment horizon are crucial factors. Let’s analyze them:

Risk Tolerance
Low Risk Tolerance: If you prefer low-risk investments, an independent house with stable rental income is better.

High Risk Tolerance: If you can tolerate higher risk for potentially higher returns, investing in plots is suitable.

Investment Horizon
Short to Medium Term: For short to medium-term investments, an independent house is ideal due to immediate rental income.

Long Term: For long-term investments, plots offer higher appreciation potential.

Diversifying Your Investment Portfolio
Diversification reduces risk and optimizes returns. Here’s how you can diversify your investment portfolio:

Combining Both Options
Consider a mix of both options. Allocate a portion of your funds to an independent house for rental income and another portion to plots for long-term appreciation.

Other Investment Options
Apart from real estate, diversify into mutual funds, equities, and fixed-income instruments. This ensures a balanced and resilient portfolio.

Actively managed funds can enhance your investment strategy. Let’s explore their advantages:

Professional Management
These funds are managed by experts who make informed decisions based on market conditions.

Potential for Higher Returns
Actively managed funds aim to outperform the market, offering higher returns compared to passive funds.

Flexibility
They can quickly adapt to market changes, capturing growth opportunities and mitigating risks.

Choosing between buying an independent house and investing in plots depends on your financial goals, risk tolerance, and market conditions. An independent house offers immediate rental income and stability, while plots offer higher appreciation potential but require a longer investment horizon.

Consider a balanced approach by diversifying your investments. Consult a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) for personalized advice and explore actively managed funds for potential higher returns.

Your decision should align with your overall financial plan, ensuring a secure and prosperous future for you and your family.

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Jul 12, 2024

Hello sir my name is Santu Chakraborty.I am 34 year old now unmarried. My qualification is Bsc botany honours with 2nd class +diploma in mechanical engineering with distinction +btech in mechanical engineering from government engineering college west Bengal with 7.5 dgpa.I have 6 years of teaching experience in private diploma engineering college and now I working as a vocational teacher in automobile engineering department in gov high school.In my early phase of life I am going through lots of Misguide,seveare Anxiety issue. Nobody can help me on that phase.I recover mostly by my own after various dillema.I want to work in mechanical r and d company, Mechanical design basis company and also upgrade my teaching carrier. How can I start my journey at this age ?what is the risk factor also? Please tell me. I am very enthusiastic dedicated person. I have no guide in my home. My father is vegetable seller.
Ans: Hi Santu Chakraborty,

This is a really exhaustive query.

The journey thru' your acquisition of qualifications has been vast!

In the course of your life you are now suffering from SNIOP (SUSCEPTIBLE NEGATIVE INFLUENCE OTHER PEOPLE) this happens when you let others control your life.

I have this poem.. Especially for one's like you!

The Guy in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.
You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

Dale Wimbrow (c) 1934

Get the enthusiasm going, don't get embroiled in what life has been before!

Take a stranglehold of your life and make it BIG!

The opportunities are.. Miracles waiting to happen, what are you waiting for.. You are the catalyst!?
Maxim Emmanuel.

Pick up yourself don't be a victim of self pity.

If you do need further professional advice happy to assist
https://m.me/maxim.emmanuel.2024