Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Mihir Tanna  |580 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Aug 17, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Jun 15, 2023

Sir, I was a NRI for last 14 years and in June 2022 I permanently returned back to India after job contract finished and i qualified as RNOR for FY 2022-23, upon returning in June 2022 I closed all my NRE FD and opened resident FD. Is the interest earned upto June 2022 in NRE FD s are taxable as RNOR taxation?

Ans: Person cannot avail the exemption under section 10(4)(ii) of the Act and the NRE interest income earned for the entire year shall become taxable till the time the account is operational. Further, the taxable interest earned from the NRE account will be eligible for deduction of up to Rs 10,000 (for savings interest only), under section 80TTA and up to INR 50,000 (for senior citizens) under section 80TTB of the Act.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Anil Rego  |324 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Aug 25, 2021

I was working abroad since June 2009 and returned back to India permanently on October 28, 2020. I changed my NRE bank account status to that of resident saving account in November 2020. Also, the FDs in the NRE account status were changed to resident saving account FDs. The interest accrued on these FDs on December 31, 2020, on quarterly basis and the bank cut TDS on the same. Also, TDS deducted in the March 2021 quarter on FD interest/ matured FDs in this quarter. My questions are: 1. While filing tax for the financial year April 2020 to March 2021, will the interest income on the savings account and the FDs be considered from the date of account status changed from NRE to resident saving account? Or will the interest income be considered from Mar 2020 (ie, for whole year)?
Ans: As per the RBI's master directions, upon returning to India permanently, the existing NRE FD account of the NRI account holder is required to be converted to a resident account, without any changes in the promised rate of interest.

The interest earned from the NRE FD is not taxable. However, after it is converted to a resident FD, the interest earned is taxed as per your income tax slab. TDS will be deducted if applicable.

2. If the answer of the first question is from the date of account status change, then the total income for the year will be less than exempted income. In this case, can I get tax return on deducted TDS on FDs after filing ITR?

Anil Rego Yes. Once you file ITR, you can claim a refund for any extra tax paid.


Mihir Tanna  |580 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Nov 25, 2022

I was a NRE and I am having NRE FDR maturing at different dates. I have come to settle in India. My question is do I need to file IT returns? But the interest is from my NRE FDs.  Please advise me in details considering me as a lay man. 
Ans: Interest earned on NRE FDs is exempt from tax till the time a person is non-resident in India as per provisions of FEMA, 1999. As you have come to settle in India, for the purpose of taxing FD Interest income, you may be treated as a Resident and entire Interest income may be taxed.

Regarding filing income tax return, person is required to file Income tax return in following scenarios:

1. If income is above Rs.2.5 lakh in a Financial Year; or

2. Further following specified persons are also required to file income tax return even if earned income is below Rs.2.5 lakh: 

a. People with Sales turnover of Rs 60 lakh and above from Business

b. Professional income exceeding Rs 10 lakh

c.  TDS or TCS of Rs 25,000 or more (Rs 50,000 or more in case of senior citizen) - even if person don't want to claim refund

d. Deposited at least Rs 50 lakh in one or more savings accounts

e.  Deposited amounts exceeding Rs 1 crore in one or more current accounts

f.   Spending above Rs 2 lakh on a foreign country travel Electricity bill exceeding Rs 1 lakh

g. Where there is an income from foreign sources for resident

h. Return filing is mandatory if you are a Resident individual and have an asset or financial interest in an entity located outside of India

i.   If you are a Resident and a signing authority in a foreign account  

Apart from above, it is also advised to file ITR in following situations, if same is applicable in your case:

  • If TDS is deducted by payer of income, filing income tax return makes you eligible to claim refund with interest @6% p.a. - If person wants to carry forward certain loss to future years, it is advisable to file return
  • Proof of return filing is also asked when a person applies for a loan or a visa. So in future, if you are planning to apply for the same, it is advisable to file income tax return if you have earned reasonable income which makes you eligible for application.
Latest Questions

Sanjeev Govila  |192 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 23, 2023


Sanjeev Govila  |192 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 23, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 14, 2023
Sir, I just retired from my service @60yrs. I will get my PF+other fund ₹50L. Please advice how to invest the amount so that my principal not disputed and I can get ₹30,000 pm for my monthly expenses. My family of 2 persons are covered ₹50L health insurance. Regards
Ans: Considering your age and your requirement, you will need to invest in a mix of debt and equity instruments. Here are some investment options available to you:-

• Senior Citizens’ Savings Scheme (SCSS) – This is a pure debt instruments and provides guaranteed returns of 8.2% per annum. The interest is paid quarterly. The maximum amount that you can invest is Rs. 30 Lakhs.

• Corporate FDs – It provides you return more than the regular bank FDs. It contains two options i.e. cumulative and non-cumulative.

• Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): This is another government-backed scheme that offers guaranteed monthly income. The current interest rate is 7.1%.

• Debt Mutual Funds: As your main concern is to protect the principal amount you may consider debt funds and monthly income can be achieved through the route of SWP (systematic withdrawal plan).

• Equity mutual funds: Equity mutual funds offer the highest potential returns, but they are also the riskiest. A small portion of the amount can be invested in the equity mutual funds for growth of the money in the long-term horizon.

It is good to know that you are adequately insured for any healthcare emergency.

Your requirement of Rs. 30,000 will be changing in the future due to inflation, hence you should consult with your financial advisor for a proper increasing income or SWP (systematic withdrawal plan) which can help you to ensure sufficient amount available for your monthly expenses.

Sanjeev Govila  |192 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 23, 2023

Hi Sir, I worked a small level company between 01.02.2018 to 30.04.2021. They paid standard EPF contribution of Rs. 1800/- from my side they deducting the same of Rs. 1800/-. After I exit the company I applied the EPF Withdrawl (both contribution) on 06.05.2023 and it was rejected by the officer and the reason was mentioned "Claim Rejeced EQUAL SHARE 07/18". The Employer deposit the July 2018 share in wrongly i.e. The deposited Rs. 1800/- in Employee Share and Rs. 1800/- employer Share and Pension is " 0 ". instead of Rs.1800/- as employee, Rs. 550/- as Employer and Rs.1250/- as pension contribution. When I sent a 2 continues mail to EPF they taking my query as a grivience and sent a query to the employer. But Still they not close the issue. How to I approch them to clear my claim. Because there is no mistake from my side. Thanks in Advance. Narayanan
Ans: I understand that your EPF withdrawal claim has been rejected due to an error in your employer's contribution. This is frustrating, but it is important to remember that you are not alone. Many people experience problems with their EPF claims, especially when their employers make mistakes.

When filing a grievance, be sure to provide clear and concise information about the issue. You should also include any relevant documentation, such as your EPF statement and the revised Form 11 from your employer (if you have one).

Once you have filed a grievance, the EPFO will investigate the matter and try to resolve it. This process can take some time, but it is important to be patient.

Here are some additional tips:

• Keep track of all your communication with the EPFO. This includes emails, phone calls, and visits to the office.
• If you are not satisfied with the EPFO's response, you can escalate the issue to the regional or national level. You can also mail on employeefeedback @ epfindia.gov.in for the redressal of your grievance.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds