Tax Expert - Answered on Dec 06, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Asked by Anonymous - Nov 15, 2023Translate

LTA amount is given by my company each year. Is that amount exempted over and above of taxed amount in the new tax regime? How to show it, can I show it accumulating 4 years amount in one year?My yearly salary is 14 Lakh approx. I fall in ITR 1.

Ans: Leave Travel Allowance deduction is not allowed under new tax regime.

Tax Expert - Answered on Nov 07, 2022

Good Morning. I am a fan of yours and read you severally on Rediff replying queries of various Tax Problems. Sir, now I have a tax query and earnestly request you to resolve that which is as follows: My query is: I booked an under construction flat worth Rs.45.00 lacs which is scheduled to be ready for procession in year F.Y.2025-26. Now I sold shares worth Rs. 10,00,000/- and total amount paid to builder in F.Y.2022-23. Out of shares sold my LTCG IS Rs.700,000/-. Can I claim exemption for LTCG to that amount only which is given as advance in corresponding year? Again in F.Y. 2023-24 I will pay Rs.20,00,000/- by selling shares and LTCG of Rs.10,00,000/-. Can I claim Exemption for LTCG? Same process will happen in next 2 F.Ys. till procession of my new Flat. Can I claim exemption on LTCG on sale of shares in each financial year? Please also guide to fill ITR also for claiming above exemption in parts.
Ans: In respect of capital gains you can claim exemption from long term capital gains if the net sale consideration is invested in booking an under construction house. You get an extended period of three years to get possession in case it is booked with a developer.

In case the sale consideration is not fully invested in the residential house before filing of the Income Tax Return, the unutilised money has to be deposited with a bank under Capital Gains Account Scheme. The money deposited can be utilised within the prescribed period for payment of house.

You have to keep in mind that to claim this exemption, you should not own more than one residential house property on the date of sale of the shares except the one in respect of which you are claiming the exemption.

So once you claim exemption in FY 22 23, it is not advisable to claim exemption against gain earned in subsequent years.

In Income Tax Return, you can show the amount invested in property as exemption u/s 54F and if the entire 10 lakh consideration can not be invested in property then open CG account and show amount in ITR accordingly.

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.